Make your retirement money last

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
larryswedroe

Make your retirement money last

Post by larryswedroe »

http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... money-last

A review of Jane Bryant Quinn's latest book, which is excellent resource

Larry
Naismith

Re: Make your retirement money last

Post by Naismith »

I just read this book--my public library has the Kindle version available through Overdrive.

In the chapter on when to take Social Security, she recommends various services that can run different scenarios. Really nice to have those reviews. But she does not mention the ANYPIA program that can be downloaded from Social Security to run scenarios as well.

I wondered what Bogleheads thought, whether ANYPIA gives enough info or if there is further benefit to be gained from using one of the services?

The ANYPIA interface is a lot like a program that I use at work, so I found it not too hard after a few tries. And I appreciate that the 2015 version off ANYPIA, which is the first I had tried, is the result of much beta-testing and input from Bogleheads who used previous iterations.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Larry Swedroe wrote: In my view, there really is no more trustworthy financial journalist than Jane Bryant Quinn, and her new book is a tour de force of the financial issues you’ll face in retirement. I highly recommend it.
Reading Quinn's 'Making the Most of Your Money' in the early 1990s laid all of the groundwork
for my eventual transformation from a financial idiot to an early retiree.

I've tried to pay it forward by giving away dozens of copies of her book in recent years.

Thanks for your review.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go put another nickel in the Amazon jukebox to
see what she has to say about my next twenty years...

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I received Jane Bryant Quinn's "How to Make Your Money Last, The Indispensable Retirement Guide" as a late arriving Christmas gift in early January. Never having read any of her books previously, I was extremely impressed with this particular offering and would highly recommend it. :thumbsup
Tom D.
Levett

Post by Levett »

digarei and I had similar experiences.

I completely agree with Larry Swedroe's assessment:

"there really is no more trustworthy financial journalist than Jane Bryant Quinn"

Quinn is just soooo accessible and sensible.

Lev
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

digarei wrote:
Larry Swedroe wrote: In my view, there really is no more trustworthy financial journalist than Jane Bryant Quinn, and her new book is a tour de force of the financial issues you’ll face in retirement. I highly recommend it.
Reading Quinn's 'Making the Most of Your Money' in the early 1990s laid all of the groundwork

I've tried to pay it forward by giving away dozens of copies of her book in recent years. ...

I also read "Making the Most of Your Money" in the '90s and though I didn't give away copies of that book, I did donate two copies of her 2006 book, "Smart and Simple Financial Strategies For Busy People" to my library. Have to admit though, I bought the extra copies after seeing the book marked down to $5.00 in the bargain section at Barnes & Noble. I'd already found it a valuable read some time before and when I saw it on the bargain shelf, I remember thinking it had to be the best bargain in this store.

Larry, thanks for review - every bit as thorough as a Quinn book. It's already on my Kindle, ready to read.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Delete repeat.
Last edited by Fallible on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Fallible wrote:
digarei wrote:

I've tried to pay it forward by giving away dozens of copies of her book in recent years. ...

I also read "Making the Most of Your Money" in the '90s and though I didn't give away copies of that book, I did donate two copies of her 2006 book, "Smart and Simple Financial Strategies For Busy People" to my library. Have to admit though, I bought the extra copies after seeing the book marked down to $5.00 in the bargain section at Barnes & Noble. I'd already found it a valuable read some time before and when I saw it on the bargain shelf, I remember thinking it had to be the best bargain in this store.

Larry, thanks for review - every bit as thorough as a Quinn book. It's already on my Kindle, ready to read.

Making the Most of Your Money was the book that put me on the path we are on today. I can't say enough good things about that book. I still open it up and review money matters occasionally. An outstanding book that gave me the courage to invest in Vanguard's Index 500 fund.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Tycoon wrote:
Fallible wrote:
digarei wrote:

Making the Most of Your Money was the book that put me on the path we are on today. I can't say enough good things about that book. I still open it up and review money matters occasionally. An outstanding book that gave me the courage to invest in Vanguard's Index 500 fund.

And it was revised in '09 and re-titled "Making the Most of Your Money NOW." Even better.
digarei

Post by digarei »

Fallible wrote:
And it was revised in '09 and re-titled "Making the Most of Your Money NOW." Even better.
You know, I'm not embarrassed to confess that I haven't read more than a page or two of the 2009 version. I held back a copy for myself of course when I got my first shipment (6 at a time!) but there's something about that dogeared first edition with the ripped jacket, who knows how many pages defaced with pen doodles, re-penciled numbers, areas where the typeface barely shows through due to multiple erasures.... It's a teddy bear from my financial childhood.

The newer edition is bigger, more heft. I told my daughter that she could use it for a door-stop if she decided she didn't want to read it. (For all I know it's right now being used as a counter-weight for an engine block! ... I should tell her the teddy bear story.)
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

I really like her writing too, but part of that wisdom is hard earned.

I had appreciated her columns in Newsweek, so was shocked when the first book that came out, she recommended that there was no need to buy life insurance on a mother who was at home and not employed: Since she wasn't earning an income, there was nothing to insure.

There was an outpouring of --um--correction from couples who explained how expensive it would be to replace the cost of the child care, cooking, breastmilk, laundry, cleaning, etc. that a hard-working mom at home can provide. As a boglehead might say, it's not how much you make, but how much you keep.

Nowadays her advice on life insurance is more nuanced, stressing individual factors such as the age of children and employability of the at-home spouse.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Ok, just requested this from my public library, where I'm #13 on the waiting list.
Taylor Larimore

"The Easy Way to Make Your Retirement Savings Last"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

This recent article by Jane Bryant Quinn is titled: The Easy Way to Make Your Retirement Savings Last This is the final paragraph:
I urge you to opt for simplicity. The fewer funds you have, the easier your investments are to manage, especially as you advance in years. Your buckets provide you with cash for withdrawals, bonds for liquidity and reasonable safety over the first part of your retirement, and stocks to help you cover the second half of retirement. All with just two or three index funds. That’s it.
http://time.com/money/4161045/retirement-income/

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Thanks for the recommendation, Larry et al. - it's now on my Kindle. :D

Cheers,
oldzey
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I recall reading making etc when I was pretty young. Unfortunately I did not take all of her sage advice, but did take a lot it. I did eventually become a boglehead, but would be better off than I am now if I had taken more of it to heart. I have d/l the new book to the kindle and will be reading it soon.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

digarei wrote:
Fallible wrote:
You know, I'm not embarrassed to confess that I haven't read more than a page or two of the 2009 version. I held back a copy for myself of course when I got my first shipment (6 at a time!) but there's something about that dogeared first edition with the ripped jacket, who knows how many pages defaced with pen doodles, re-penciled numbers, areas where the typeface barely shows through due to multiple erasures.... It's a teddy bear from my financial childhood ...

I like "teddy bear from my financial childhood." :) I remember after the original reading, I 'd go on to other books and would almost forget about it until I got into a financial jam. Then I'd go back to it and get back on track.
SeeMoe

Post by SeeMoe »

" The five steps of retirement" sounds eerily similar in title anyway, to " the five steps of death and dying ."The second step " honeymoon" is something I wish that I could have bottled up like a perpetual " Groundhog Day " . Those first days, weeks and months of "being free at last" slowly sinking in were sooooo deliciously sweet ,..Still recall those days vividly ,21 years on ,today . Traveled the world business class until we got tired of it, and home sweet home looked infinitely better than a hotel room in Gizborne N.Z. , North Island on a rainy day . Live on less than we take in , and continued investing until now . The more you have, the more one worries about losing it . Especially when it can no longer be replaced with work so easily,..
SeeMoe.. :beer
"By gnawing through a dike, even a Rat can destroy a nation ." {Edmund Burke}
Jane Bryant Quinn

Post by Jane Bryant Quinn »

Larry -- Thank you so much for your kind, and thorough, review of my new book. I have always been grateful for your wise opinions.
And thank you, everyone, who made such lovely comments on this book and my previous ones. The Bogleheads and I have always been on the same page. Jane
ekid

Post by ekid »

I posted on this book some time ago- maybe first!

Trying to get appt at SS to suspend 'til spouse FRA. Encountering oppo...
ekid

Post by ekid »

"The Bogleheads and I have always been on the same page. Jane"

And your previous books are where I learned of Vanguard.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Jane Bryant Quinn wrote:Larry -- Thank you so much for your kind, and thorough, review of my new book. I have always been grateful for your wise opinions.
And thank you, everyone, who made such lovely comments on this book and my previous ones. The Bogleheads and I have always been on the same page. Jane
Welcome to Bogleheads.org, Jane Bryant Quinn
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

Jane Bryant Quinn wrote:Larry -- Thank you so much for your kind, and thorough, review of my new book. I have always been grateful for your wise opinions.
Thanks to Larry for bringing this to my attention, and to Jane for her literary and financial efforts. Just purchased a copy on Amazon.com.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Wow, nice.
Increment the member count by one more!
Attempted new signature...
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Years ago I really enjoyed reading “Making the Most of Your Money NOW”. The width and depth of the topics covered were perfect for someone with my (then) limited understanding of investing and financial planning. The writing was so clear, informative and approachable that I gave several copies out as presents. I still have a copy that I use occasionally when I need to refresh my memory on a specific topic.
I just finished “How to Make Your Money Last, The Indispensable Retirement Guide” and it was refreshing to see that Ms. Quinn has not lost her style. I highly recommend it.
MIretired

Post by MIretired »

This must be a 'must' book to get judging by the comments here.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

It has been awhile since I've read a personal finance book. Looks like I've found one to order for my Kindle. Thanks for the heads up Larry.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I actually have a small collection of (terrible) investment and business books from the first dot-com boom. They're absurd to read now but I keep them.
joebh

Post by joebh »

I'm in the middle of reading "Making the Most of Your Money Now", and just downloaded "How to Make Your Money Last" today.
I like what I have read so far, and look forward to reading more.

A note: In Massachusetts, you can get an ID for the Boston Public Library, even if you live outside of Boston. That gives you the ability to put a hold on any book you like, and when your turn arrives, to download any ebook. Since I love to read, I keep my Kindle fully loaded with free reading materials this way.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Since we retired 5 years ago and began withdrawals our portfolio has increased by 8%.
msj16

Post by msj16 »

Thank you Jane Bryant Quinn for making me appreciate personal finance. You led me to the Bogleheads as well. Your book is in the library in my den, and remains a symbol of a smart choice that I made for myself.

msj16
p.s. I suggest you partner with PBS as another famous author has done. I am about to become a published author as well as of 2017!
BL

Post by BL »

Long-time reader of Jane's magazine articles and often checked out books from the library over the years. I learned so much about personal finance from her writings. They helped bring me to the stage where I was ready for Bogleheads. I will make sure to get a copy of this book.
hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 »

I discovered "Making the Most of Your Money" around 1994 and finally learned basic concepts about investing. Jane Bryant Quinn's easy to understand writing style and financial knowledge gave me confidence that we could meet our financial goals. This book truly made a difference in our family's life, allowing us to confidently save and invest for college and retirement. I even purchased a second copy as a gift for a friend.

I definitely will be reading "Making Your Money Last in Retirement". Jane, if you read this, thank you very much!
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
ShoogyBee

Post by ShoogyBee »

Jane Bryant Quinn is an occasional fill-in guest on Wisconsin Public Radio's weekly "On Your Money" program. I always enjoy it whenever Jane is on the program. In fact, that is how I first heard about her a few years ago.

http://www.wpr.org/shows/how-make-your-money-last

http://www.wpr.org/programs/your-money

looking

Post by looking »

larryswedroe wrote:http://www.etf.com/sections/index-inves ... money-last

Larry
where i can get the book, at amazon or some free copy
looking

Post by looking »

Larry

where i can get this book i haven't read yet
digarei

Post by digarei »

looking wrote: where i can get the book, at amazon or some free copy
Look here, looking:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Money-L ... 1476743762

Twenty-two bucks for hard back, about $15 for Kindle.
joebh

Post by joebh »

looking wrote:

Larry
where i can get the book, at amazon or some free copy
Check your local library.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

Just got the book. At first glance, an amazing repository of wisdom.

For example, Chapter 9: Investing for Income: Not What You Think
"Nothing endangers your lifestyle more than to pile into 'income investments'."

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
Teague

Post by Teague »

I read it a few days ago and will offer that it is an easy read, while still very informative. It was like sitting down for coffee with a good friend, who happens to be an expert on the subject, as they patiently share their wealth of knowledge. Well worth buying in my opinion.
Semper Augustus
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I first read "Making the Most of Your Money" after we bought our first house in 1992. I was two years out of college, and I *loved* that book. It helped me set a financial strategy, and was instrumental in my beginning contributions to my 403(b) plan when I first started to work post-college. It was her suggestion - to increase my 403(b) contributions by 1% every six months or so - that really made me think about planning my spending.

I gifted that book over the years to several others, when they graduated from college: my brother (who is now a senior VP for a well-known brokerage firm); my half-sister, and one of my student interns who went on to earn a M.S. in Civil Engineering. All of them found it full of common sense and accessible.

Last year, I started a "Staff Investing Group" at work, and we shared books, advice, Personal Investing Statements, etc. I still offered this book as a resource for those looking to get started on their financial path to success.

I will be reading this one too! And my eternal thanks to Ms. Quinn.
FreddieG

Post by FreddieG »

A new copy is on my nightstand. I grew up with Ric Edelman. I wonder how much I'll have to unlearn. I'll find out this week.

I also enjoy Jill Schlesinger on the radio. Another voice of reason.
Taylor Larimore

Unlearning bad advice

FreddieG wrote:A new copy is on my nightstand. I grew up with Ric Edelman. I wonder how much I'll have to unlearn.
FreddieG:

This is a beginning:

Rick Edelman says: "Never Pay-off Your Mortgage" (leaving more money for Mr. Edelman to invest. )

Jane Bryant Quinn wrote: "Above all, you can look forward to the day when--finally--you'll live mortgage-free."

Best wishes.
Taylor
FreddieG

Re: Unlearning bad advice

Post by FreddieG »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
FreddieG wrote:A new copy is on my nightstand. I grew up with Ric Edelman. I wonder how much I'll have to unlearn.
FreddieG:

This is a beginning:

Rick Edelman says: "Never Pay-off Your Mortgage" (leaving more money for Mr. Edelman to invest. )

Jane Bryant Quinn wrote: "Above all, you can look forward to the day when--finally--you'll live mortgage-free."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Yep. I never agreed with that, at least in practice. I never liked his highly-leveraged ways.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
joebh

Post by joebh »

I just finished reading "Making the Most of Your Money Now", and "How to Make Your Money Last".

Both good books - very thorough. She has a terrific writing style that makes all the concepts and suggestions easy to digest.
I can't say I agree with everything she suggests, but certainly a very high percentage.
Last edited by joebh on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joebh

Post by joebh »

FreddieG wrote:A new copy is on my nightstand. I grew up with Ric Edelman. I wonder how much I'll have to unlearn. I'll find out this week.

I also enjoy Jill Schlesinger on the radio. Another voice of reason.
I like Ric Edelman. I like Jill On Money, too.
That said, her stance on paying off a mortgage is a bit nuanced. See: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ask-jill-in ... -38041378/

Ms Quinn isn't as one-sided on the issue as some might think. See: http://www.aarp.org/money/investing/inf ... -plan.html ("A low-interest home loan may be worth keeping — or not")

I tend to think I can learn something from lots of people - even if they don't all agree.
(I haven't learned all that much from Dave Ramsey, but that's another story)
Taylor Larimore

Gems from "How to Make Your Money Last"

Bogleheads:

Jane Bryant Quinn has, indeed, written an excellent book aimed primarily for investors approaching retirement and in retirement. I have posted many valuable quotes from "How to Make Your Money Last" here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=193452&newpost=2943923

Best wishes
Taylor
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

$10 for paper back on amazon. Looks like a no brainer. I just ordered one (I like reading on paper better than ebooks,, and this one will probably scream for me to make notes in margin, so not a good library book)
https://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Money- ... 1476743762
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 »

Thanks to Mr. Swedroe for an excellent review, and to Ms. Quinn for an excellent book. I've read several works on financing retirement (though only a fraction of those read by Taylor!), and you can't go wrong with How to Make Your Money Last. Quinn's writing style is straightforward and comprehensible, her treatment of topics relevant and comprehensive, and her advice evidence-based and unbiased.
iceport

Post by iceport »

Larry Swedroe wrote:In my view, there really is no more trustworthy financial journalist than Jane Bryant Quinn, and her new book is a tour de force of the financial issues you’ll face in retirement. I highly recommend it.
I agree with Larry. Jane Bryant Quinn’s “How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide” is well-written, well-organized and surprisingly comprehensive. Most importantly, it is impeccably honest and accurate.

There are numerous difficult issues and decisions that confront those of us near and in retirement. JBQ's explanations make it possible to decide and act with informed confidence.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein