I'm Calling an Emerging Markets Bottom

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
grap0013

I'm Calling an Emerging Markets Bottom

Post by grap0013 »

I'm calling an Emerging Markets bottom this year. Not sure what month/day per se but sometime in 2016. This reminds me of the shoe shine boy in 1999 who is giving his customers stock tips. Twice in the past week I've heard people who are uninterested in investing talking about how Emerging Markets are going down the tubes and to avoid them. EVERYBODY now knows this. Hence the bottom is in sight. Buy buy buy. Yes, yes, yes I hear you. I mean to say "make sure to buy back to your predetermined target allocation". :)
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.
livesoft

Re: I'm Calling an Emerging Markets Bottom

Post by livesoft »

OK, I will ask my spouse to invest her 2016 Roth IRA contribution 100% into emerging markets. Which ETF should she choose: VWO, DGS, or EWX? She intends to invest today.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

I
livesoft wrote:OK, I will ask my spouse to invest her 2016 Roth IRA contribution 100% into emerging markets. Which ETF should she choose: VWO, DGS, or EWX? She intends to invest today.
IEMG.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

I wonder if it won't take longer but if China isn't using the capacity that's been built up for its growth, I wonder if emerging economies will be able to take advantage of low prices to develope their infrastructure.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

@RNJ, IEMG is reserved for tax-loss harvesting in the future in other accounts.
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

livesoft wrote:OK, I will ask my spouse to invest her 2016 Roth IRA contribution 100% into emerging markets. Which ETF should she choose: VWO, DGS, or EWX? She intends to invest today.
:-) DGS, it's a nice RBD today too!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

grap0013 wrote:
OK, transaction completed. Thanks!
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

These may be the last famous words, but I think there is more downside to come. Among many reasons, the following stand out at the moment:

No emerging market country has blown up yet. It will need one or two to do so to make people puke.

Chinese market is at the verge of breaking below its 52 week low of about 2850, an important support. Emerging market low would become visible once the Chinese low is set.

The low on oil is probably not in. Iran's pre-embargo production was about 3MM bpd, they are just starting ou with 500K bpd and will be desperate to ramp as fast as possible.

We don't know yet what the new normal for the commodity demand is. Chinese data are fudged and it will take some time for the market to figure out the point at which existing (over)capacity would be rationalized.

I was looking at VWO trading volume. I would like to see a big spike on a down day to call a bottom.

And I can go on... I would be getting interested at around $25. Or I will be missing the big rebound.
ge1

Post by ge1 »

Not sure if it is the bottom (and I don't really care), but valuations are getting very attractive, to the point you may be kicking yourself in a few years looking back at this if you don't buy.

The performance over the last 10 years has been so horrendous it is actually hard to believe. Vanguard ETF VWO is down 11% over a 10 year period (excluding dividends), this is brutal.

I will be a buyer today.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

livesoft wrote:
grap0013 wrote:
Is this part of your "Instructional Transactions (with screenshots)" series? ;-)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

And a market order was used since the spread was 2 cents. Oh, the horror!
chisey

Post by chisey »

I had never invested in Emerging markets prior to this month, except as portions of broad international funds. After I saw how lousy the last ~10 years have been I started buying VEMAX on January 4. My initial purchase is already down almost 9%, so obviously I was early . . . but I'm buying more today anyway, and all Roth contributions this year will probably be in that fund.

I was underweight international already, so basically I'm rebalancing into it using EM instead of a broader fund. Surely EM will come roaring back sometime . . . :)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

chisey wrote:Surely EM will come roaring back sometime . . . :)
Now that we have bought more today, it surely will not.
chisey

Post by chisey »

livesoft wrote:
chisey wrote:Surely EM will come roaring back sometime . . . :)
Now that we have bought more today, it surely will not.
Heh, that's the thought I keep having. Good thing I'm only looking to get up to 5% of my portfolio with it.
sai

Post by sai »

Thanks for the post and comments.

P.S. first time I see livesoft getting help :beer
Manbaerpig

Post by Manbaerpig »

Lol at this thread. Emerging is cyclical. I'm sure all the issues I'm China will magically resolve themselves real soon
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

sai wrote:Thanks for the post and comments.

P.S. first time I see livesoft getting help :beer
I'm not sure he's being serious. :wink: Tough to tell.

I just looked yesterday. SFENX (EM value) is down 40% over the past 5 years. Not even including inflation. We are close/into bloodbath territory with EM value especially.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Hey, DGS is already DOWN from where it was purchased today. What's up with that?
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

livesoft wrote:Hey, DGS is already DOWN from where it was purchased today. What's up with that?
The day is still early. Expect an after lunch rally.
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

^ Reminds me of a South Park episode about investing in the market. I'm paraphrasing, "Here's your money going into the market....and it's gone!"
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

livesoft wrote:
grap0013 wrote:
I'm planning on following you today, buying emerging markets. But, why did you buy it in the Roth? I thought one should buy EM in a taxable account?

Thanks for your help
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Any and all assets classes are good for a Roth account. Of course, it is best to buy assets that will lose money in a taxable account.
Right now, I have no money in my taxable accounts to buy equities. After all, my spouse just made a Roth IRA contribution.

But I will say this: If DGS goes up a few percent from here, then I am selling it.
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

livesoft wrote:Hey, DGS is already DOWN from where it was purchased today. What's up with that?
Don't look back. Get on the bid for VSS - down 3+%. Just got filled @ 83.72
skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver »

As commodity exporters the emerging market economies are so, so dependent on China. Do you really think CHINA has hit bottom?
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

I don't know when it will happen, whether it will be this year as grap0013 suggests, but I do believe that EM after years of substantial underperformance will have its day in the sun again. Most assets in the market goes through cycles over and over. Currently commodities, PME, Energy, and EM are showing severe weakness relative to the market as a whole based presumably on their dour outlook both presently and going forward. Treasuries as always during difficult market times are doing great. At some point, no one can definitely say when, that cycle will change and the last shall be first yet again because it rises from a very depressed valuation base relative to the currently more popular asset classes. The Callan Periodic Table paints this picture rather clearly over time. Those who hold on to EM and other universally despised asset classes or even rebalance into then at difficult times like these are likely to be rewarded in the long run. This is yet another reason to have and maintain a broadly diversified portfolio in my opinion.

Garland Whizzer
DG99999

Post by DG99999 »

ge1 wrote:Not sure if it is the bottom (and I don't really care), but valuations are getting very attractive, to the point you may be kicking yourself in a few years looking back at this if you don't buy.

The performance over the last 10 years has been so horrendous it is actually hard to believe. Vanguard ETF VWO is down 11% over a 10 year period (excluding dividends), this is brutal.

I will be a buyer today.
As of late AM today, the MSCI Emerging Market Index was down just over 35% - not necessarily a bad time to buy. Probably could go down further (we've seen something approaching 70% losses in the past), but still better than buying at the peak.

Also, as of today, M* shows that the 10 year return for VWO was about +1.7% annualized - the difference may be dividends.
I am not a financial professional. My posts are only my opinion on the topic. You need to do your own due diligence and consult with a professional when addressing your financial questions.
William Million

Post by William Million »

Problem is emerging market funds are now mostly China funds. You don't get much diversity.
scsiguru

Post by scsiguru »

And why does CNBC have to "YELL" in their breaking alerts on my phone? They are using ALL CAPS...ridiculous!!
Steadfast

Post by Steadfast »

Yeah, looks like the crowds are certainly heading for the exits, though I am not seeing total chaos yet.

But it's attractive enough for me to start buying at this point and if it moves further down, consistent with topping off my allocation targets a little early.

Good luck ladies and gentlemen.
We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
chisey

Post by chisey »

William Million wrote:Problem is emerging market funds are now mostly China funds. You don't get much diversity.
I think this overstates it a little. China will continue to have a big effect on the EM indices, but it's really not that much greater than the effect Japan has on developed indices (~23% right now).

VEMAX Country diversification (% of common stock) as of 11/30/2015
China 28.8%
Taiwan 14.3%
India 12.8%
South Africa 8.9%
Brazil 6.9%
Mexico 5.6%
Russia 4.5%
Malaysia 4.2%
Thailand 2.7%
Indonesia 2.4%
Philippines 1.9%
Turkey 1.7%
Poland 1.5%
Chile 1.3%
UAE 0.9%
Colombia 0.6%
Hungary 0.3%
Egypt 0.3%
Peru 0.2%
Czech Rep 0.2%
Hong Kong 0.0%
Other 0.0%
Morocco —
Spain —
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

Steadfast wrote:Yeah, looks like the crowds are certainly heading for the exits, though I am not seeing total chaos yet.

But it's attractive enough for me to start buying at this point and if it moves further down, consistent with topping off my allocation targets a little early.

Right. EM value trailing 1 year PEs are ~8. Even if they drop another 25-30% they'd be in the 5-6 PE range. For a basket of stocks? Not just one country? Yep that's right. That's a ridiculously low price for the earnings.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

grap0013 wrote:
Steadfast wrote:Yeah, looks like the crowds are certainly heading for the exits, though I am not seeing total chaos yet.

Right. EM value trailing 1 year PEs are ~8. Even if they drop another 25-30% they'd be in the 5-6 PE range. For a basket of stocks? Not just one country? Yep that's right. That's a ridiculously low price for the earnings.
Grap, where are you seeing these numbers? On morning star I see FP/E of 11.71.

I agree they are very good value and so is the VSS(small cap international). Early contributing Roth to both.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
oneleaf

Post by oneleaf »

Bought more PXH and DGS today. I think these are great valuations for good longterm returns.
Topic Author
grap0013

Post by grap0013 »

ray.james wrote: Grap, where are you seeing these numbers? On morning star I see FP/E of 11.71.
The only way to get trailing PEs in Morningstar to my knowledge is to set up a free portfolio and look under the "My view" tab and add the trailing 1 year PE as a metric you'd like to include.

I see the following trailing 1 year PEs for my EM holdings:

SFENX 8.68
QEELX 8.72
DGS 9.57
DFCEX 12.62
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

OK, I'm selling VSS in one account and buying VSS in another account. This improves my portfolio tax efficiency.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

grap0013 wrote:
ray.james wrote: Grap, where are you seeing these numbers? On morning star I see FP/E of 11.71.
The only way to get trailing PEs in Morningstar to my knowledge is to set up a free portfolio and look under the "My view" tab and add the trailing 1 year PE as a metric you'd like to include.

I see the following trailing 1 year PEs for my EM holdings:

SFENX 8.68
QEELX 8.72
DGS 9.57
DFCEX 12.62
I rechecked again and realized you mentioned value. I was looking at VWO.
Also, I see the valuations from X-ray tool. You don't need a portfolio in that case. Thanks.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I don't understand the concept of an "emerging markets bottom," because I still don't see what it is that emerging markets are supposed to have in common other than not being categorized as developed. I don't know why you'd expect Peru to hit a bottom just because Qatar has, because apart from speaking Spanish the two countries have nothing in common. Oh, wait, they don't have that in common, either.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

The calling of the bottom has no date or value level. Today's close, and 70% below today's close sometime in 2016, are both consistent with the call.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't small cap usually lead market returns in bullish markets. That would make me recommend EEMS as the small cap value EM ETF to invest in.

I suggest using EEMS, and tilting towards small value.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
saurabh

Post by saurabh »

nisiprius wrote:I don't understand the concept of an "emerging markets bottom," because I still don't see what it is that emerging markets are supposed to have in common other than being undeveloped. I don't know why you'd expect Peru to hit a bottom just because Qatar has, because apart from speaking Spanish the two countries have nothing in common. Oh, wait, they don't have that in common, either.
I think it is quite pejorative to use the word "undeveloped". Maybe that makes you feel better about avoiding investing in EMs but that is a strange way to characterize countries within the EM index that have seen amazing economic gains. Countries like China and India have literally shaken up the global economic order and all kinds of companies and people in "developed" markets have felt their impact. I could also say the same about how developed markets have nothing in common but yet they are seen as a group when performing asset allocation. Many of the countries in Europe have nothing in common but yet they are seen as a group. What makes unrelated countries linked is that many foreign investors view them as a single asset class, so their stock markets can be pretty correlated at times of stress, especially on the downside. The fact that China is 35% of the EM index itself guarantees that a bear market there can cause a bear market in the index. Also Asian countries are over 70% of the EM index and that will also create linkage.

Getting back to the original poster, if China gets back to where it was before the speculation started a year and a half ago, it would still fall nearly 30%, so I don't think anyone can call a bottom while that market keeps going down nearly every day.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

saurabh wrote:...I think it is quite pejorative to use the word "undeveloped"...
Well, what would you suggest as an objective or neutral term, then? "Emerging markets" is clearly marketing hype (like "high-yield bonds.")

How about "less developed markets?"
saurabh wrote:Maybe that makes you feel better about avoiding investing in EMs...
I don't avoid emerging markets. I do invest in them. What makes you think I avoid them? I don't try to time the market in them, however.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

With all this talk about Emerging Markets, is holding Vanguard Total International sufficient when it comes to holding EM? I see it has about 17% EM. I'm debating about buying more EM, but for the most part, I just buy Total International for my 30% International portion of my asset allocation. I will probably just keep it simple and only use Total International, and not bother buying a separate EM fund. I don't think I can handle the volatility and feel I'm already at my risk tolerance with an 85/15 stock/bond split.

In this thread when you guys are talking about buying up more EM, are you guys talking about buying more EM only funds?
ogd

Post by ogd »

saurabh wrote:Maybe that makes you feel better about avoiding investing in EMs but that is a strange way to characterize countries within the EM index that have seen amazing economic gains. Countries like China and India have literally shaken up the global economic order and all kinds of companies and people in "developed" markets have felt their impact.
You seem to think that superior economic growth leads to superior stock market returns. But this is (somewhat surprisingly) not so, in fact, a bit of the opposite; see e.g. http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwo ... nd-markets and links therein.

It's a little less surprising if you rephrase the stock market returns as these companies, from these prices. As opposed to a million newcomers, or US companies shifting production to China and India while grabbing most of the profits.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I use large rebalancing bands when it comes to Emerging Markets.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I'm putting everything I have into them. I think it's gone a bit too low at this point and think it will also rebound in a big way :moneybag
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

The USA was a EM not long ago, this guy made a mint there :wink: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Lauriston_Livermore
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

ND Fan 1 wrote:With all this talk about Emerging Markets, is holding Vanguard Total International sufficient when it comes to holding EM?
Yes. Total International is all you need.
In this thread when you guys are talking about buying up more EM, are you guys talking about buying more EM only funds?
Yes. But you should not be reading this thread because it will lead you astray.
sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita »

nisiprius wrote:I don't understand the concept of an "emerging markets bottom," because I still don't see what it is that emerging markets are supposed to have in common other than being undeveloped. less developed. I don't know why you'd expect Peru to hit a bottom just because Qatar has, because apart from speaking Spanish the two countries have nothing in common. Oh, wait, they don't have that in common, either.
(1) Perhaps because they are clubbed together into same ETF's and mutual funds. This is a "created" correlation versus "natural" correlation.

(2) Many of the emerging markets are commodity suppliers to China and other are primarily energy exporters. This creates a transmission channel (especially when demand for almost all commodities in China is taking a hit).

(3) They all tend to have weak currencies; hence, indiscriminate dumping when fear takes over.

I think this thread has too many optimists and/or wishful thinkers. I hope people are writing here in jest, the carnage in emerging markets is nowhere close to being done yet.
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

livesoft wrote:
ND Fan 1 wrote:With all this talk about Emerging Markets, is holding Vanguard Total International sufficient when it comes to holding EM?
Yes. Total International is all you need.
Yes. But you should not be reading this thread because it will lead you astray.
Thanks, I'm just stick with Total International, not sure I could handle EM volatility
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

ogd wrote:
saurabh wrote:Maybe that makes you feel better about avoiding investing in EMs but that is a strange way to characterize countries within the EM index that have seen amazing economic gains. Countries like China and India have literally shaken up the global economic order and all kinds of companies and people in "developed" markets have felt their impact.
You seem to think that superior economic growth leads to superior stock market returns. But this is (somewhat surprisingly) not so, in fact, a bit of the opposite; see e.g. http://www.economist.com/blogs/buttonwo ... nd-markets and links therein.

It's a little less surprising if you rephrase the stock market returns as these companies, from these prices. As opposed to a million newcomers, or US companies shifting production to China and India while grabbing most of the profits.

Yes, ogd. Jeremy Siegel has made similar comments about stock market returns and economic growth. Siegel said that valuations were an even bigger factor than economic growth.
A fool and his money are good for business.