2016 hedge fund contest

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
triceratop

Re: 2016 hedge fund contest

Post by triceratop »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:It's fixed for now.

One note: triceratops' CJES pick has been fixed at zero; 100% of the company was handed to lenders in July and shareholders were wiped out. There is a ticker CJESQ that trades (closed Friday at 95.5 cents) but I see no reason to believe it could provide any value to pre-bankruptcy holders.
I sure know how to (randomly) pick 'em.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:One note: triceratops' CJES pick has been fixed at zero; 100% of the company was handed to lenders in July and shareholders were wiped out. There is a ticker CJESQ that trades (closed Friday at 95.5 cents) but I see no reason to believe it could provide any value to pre-bankruptcy holders.
You're welcome to handle it however you want, and I don't think it will matter for triceratops' rank anyway, but I don't think that's correct. CJESQ is the same as CJES - it's the common stock of a company currently in a bankruptcy process, just like a name change but nothing more.

http://www.theocc.com/webapps/infomemos ... %3A16%3A11

Until the bankruptcy plan is effective and finally approved by the court (which hasn't happened yet in this case), that's what you can buy or sell the old CJES shares for. Also, in this case, the proposed plan does not entirely wipe out the common shareholders -

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... 0-qdoc.htm
The key terms of the restructuring, as contemplated by the Restructuring Support Agreement, are as follows:

•The New Warrants: Under the Restructuring Plan, on the Effective Date, the Company will issue 7-year warrants convertible into up to 6% of New Equity at a strike price of $1.55 billion (the “New Warrants”) to holders of C&J common equity, provided that such class of holders votes to accept the Restructuring Plan.
So assuming this goes through as expected in another month or something, the old equity CJES/CJESQ will be wiped out and granted instead long term, potentially non-traded options on the eventual performance of the new stock. What that will be worth will depend on if the new business succeeds, if oil goes back to $100, etc. Probably the last trade price of CJESQ is the best proxy for what you could have sold this for, unless the new warrants end up being traded (in which case you could figure out how many one gets per old share and hence the correct new value).
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Please sell my LONG NFLX position at next closing please.

Halloween has been good for the online streaming services!

Thanks!
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Hi Norbert. Please sell my position in VMC (Vulcan Materials) at today's close. Thank you! :happy
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

Hi Norbert. I don't think you saw my post above asking to lock in my VMC position on November 10th. ^^^

(Not that you don't have better things to do. :wink:)

Thanks!
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:S'dun.
looks like it may be busted again?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

grok87 wrote:
At least it's a different bug this time... most tickers are parsing out to 0 as the current value.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Mudpuppy wrote:
grok87 wrote:
At least it's a different bug this time... most tickers are parsing out to 0 as the current value.
yup
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I had another go at the parser's robustness, and it's less likely to fail from here on. No thanks are due the new Yahoo Finance engine, which (a) now ships 1-5MB per quote when I need less than 10 bytes of data back, i.e. overhead is 99.999%+ and (b) fails silently on 1-2% of requests no matter what.

P.S. Thanks to tanelorn for the updates and links re the oddballs.
I'm still just getting a empty screen when i click on the contest screen
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

It's not an empty screen now, but most of the stock prices aren't coming through and are zeroes.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Canadian 2016 hedge fund contest is currently showing a blank page. (Norbert Schlenker runs both.)

- Discussion thread: 2016 hedge fund contest - Financial Wisdom Forum
- FWF 2016 Hedge Fund Contest :: Fund List (currently blank)

Bogleheads contest page: Bogleheads 2016 Hedge Fund Contest :: Fund List
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote:The Canadian 2016 hedge fund contest is currently showing a blank page. (Norbert Schlenker runs both.)

- Discussion thread: 2016 hedge fund contest - Financial Wisdom Forum
- FWF 2016 Hedge Fund Contest :: Fund List (currently blank)

Bogleheads contest page: Bogleheads 2016 Hedge Fund Contest :: Fund List
THanks LadyGeek - would be nice to get this up and running again in time for the finish line at year end...
RIP Mr. Bogle.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

grok87 wrote:THanks LadyGeek - would be nice to get this up and running again in time for the finish line at year end...
+1
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

I've started the process of importing this contest into Google Sheets. Not as fancy (yet) as the previous webpage.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Right now I don't have the funds combined but you can sort of see how the individual stocks are doing. Am I calculating these correctly? I'm sort of unsure about the shorts but it seems to make sense.

I'll give it some more work tomorrow.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

BackOfTheNet wrote:I've started the process of importing this contest into Google Sheets. Not as fancy (yet) as the previous webpage.

Right now I don't have the funds combined but you can sort of see how the individual stocks are doing. Am I calculating these correctly? I'm sort of unsure about the shorts but it seems to make sense.

Mine look ok. Thanks for doing this...
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

BackOfTheNet wrote:I've started the process of importing this contest into Google Sheets. Not as fancy (yet) as the previous webpage.

CRC went 1 for 10 reverse split, the stock is down big from when I shorted it, your sheet shows the opposite - a gain in price.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

BackOfTheNet - thank you for your efforts. The returns look good for both the longs and shorts. The rule for the combined total is just to average all the returns for the stocks picked by that person, so add up the numbers in columns E and I corresponding to a given fund name in column A, and then dived by the number of non-empty entries in E and I matching their name. I am less familiar with GoogleDocs vs Excel, but something like this might work:

Make a new column J to help compute the number of entries per fund. The formula for each row would be

If(column B ="", 0,1) + if(column F = "", 0,1)

(The two double quotes are to see if the cell is empty). This should give either 1 or 2 per row based on if they have only 1 long or short, or if they have both.

Then you can get the fund's total performance with this:

Total = [sumif(column A, fund name, column E) + sumif(column A, fund name, column I)] / sumif(column A, fund name, column J)

Once you get the basics working, I can tell you how to make adjustments for weird cases like the reverse split for CRC mentioned above.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I'll chip in with my MS Excel spreadsheet showing how I calculated my returns: Hedge Fund contest.xlsx - Google Drive

The spreadsheet shows my 4 selections (2 long, 2 short) over several days in January 2012. Row 10 shows my return for 12/31/12 was -3.4 % (Column AA).

The approach may be different, but it might help provide another perspective.

BackOfTheNet - Also, thanks for doing this. My ticker symbols are correct.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

LadyGeek wrote:I'll chip in....
Dumb question - has anyone tried to PM Norbert about the problems with his site? I noticed he hasn't been online here since October. Hope he is ok.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, that was the first thing I did. There was no response, I'll follow-up.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

so looking at the spreadsheet, my longs are up 119%, my shorts have hurt me by -51%. so my performance is +34% = average(119%,-51%)
RIP Mr. Bogle.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Through the magic of copy and paste I rearranged the table to make calculations easier. Still to do is go back and close out positions based on dates people made the request.

Also, if Norbet is MIA, I can run this contest next year. Maybe 1 or 2 people would want to help out? I can share the google sheet between the couple of us and we can make updates as needed.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: CRC went 1 for 10 reverse split, the stock is down big from when I shorted it, your sheet shows the opposite - a gain in price.
is this for California Resources Corp?

Dosen't google usually price splits and dividends into historical prices? The data I'm getting back is a price of $20.30 for Jan 4th and a current price of $19.13. So a loss of about 5% which on the shorts shows up as positive.

A split should not make or lose you money correct?
grok87

Post by grok87 »

BackOfTheNet wrote:Through the magic of copy and paste I rearranged the table to make calculations easier. Still to do is go back and close out positions based on dates people made the request.

Also, if Norbet is MIA, I can run this contest next year. Maybe 1 or 2 people would want to help out? I can share the google sheet between the couple of us and we can make updates as needed.
THanks BackOfTheNet!

Hey I'm in 5th place! yay!

I'm happy to help out next year...
RIP Mr. Bogle.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

grok87 wrote: I'm happy to help out next year...
Sounds good. I'll send you a PM.

Also, I went back and closed out positions based on what people posted in this thread. Positions that were closed are highlighted.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Yay! I'm in 3rd place now and within striking distance of 2nd.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

grok87 wrote:Yay! I'm in 3rd place now and within striking distance of 2nd.
Thank goodness, because you slipped from 1st place in Taylor's Boglehead S&P Contest to 296th place :shock: 8-)
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Miriam2 wrote:
grok87 wrote:Yay! I'm in 3rd place now and within striking distance of 2nd.
Thank goodness, because you slipped from 1st place in Taylor's Boglehead S&P Contest to 296th place :shock: 8-)
:)
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

If we want to run a similar contest for 2017, we should think about starting a new thread shortly so people can post their picks. If we want to use the same Russell 3000 stock list, I found the current one here:

http://www.ftserussell.com/files/suppor ... ssell-3000

Given the short timeline and our likely new group running the contest (since Norbert has been missing for a while), I would suggest we leave it open until Jan 6th (end of next week), and use Jan 6th's closing prices to start off.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Norbert has not picked up my PM from December 18th, which is my 2nd attempt to contact him. At this point, I'd say we've done our due diligence and call the 2016 hedge fund contest done at close of business today.

Since the spreadsheet updates in real time, we should wait until market close for the final results.
BackOfTheNet wrote:Also, if Norbet is MIA, I can run this contest next year. Maybe 1 or 2 people would want to help out? I can share the google sheet between the couple of us and we can make updates as needed.
To the group of members offering to run the 2017 contest, thank you. Set the rules as you wish and go for it.

When the 2017 thread is setup, post a link here. Everyone who's posted in this thread will have it show up under Your posts (Quicklinks menu at the top-left corner of this page) so we'll have fair warning that the contest is underway.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

2017 thread is up. Please let me know if I've left anything out.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=206778
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

First, change all occurrences of 2016 to 2017. How about adding (in your own words):

- The closing date
* Starting prices are the 6 Jan 2017 close, ending prices will be the 29 Dec 2017 close.

- No dividends
* Dividends won't count because ...

I assume this means that the drop in share price is included in your carefully calculated prediction.

=================

There's no premium for a "best fund name", which is a very subjective choice. Since this contest is run by committee, it's probably best to leave this out.
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

LadyGeek wrote:..
Thanks LadyGeek. I don't know how I missed the 2016 dates.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Norbert has also been missing from his Canadian contest: 2016 hedge fund contest - Financial Wisdom Forum

I copied BackOfTheNet's (collaborative) spreadsheet and incorporated the Canadian contest info: 2016 Hedge Fund Contest Financial Wisdom Forum - Google Sheets

The contest includes picks from the TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange), so you can see how the tickers are used.

The Canadian contest is a tight race which won't be decided until the close of business today.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote:Norbert has also been missing from his Canadian contest: 2016 hedge fund contest - Financial Wisdom Forum

I copied BackOfTheNet's (collaborative) spreadsheet and incorporated the Canadian contest info: 2016 Hedge Fund Contest Financial Wisdom Forum - Google Sheets

The contest includes picks from the TSX (Toronto Stock Exchange), so you can see how the tickers are used.

The Canadian contest is a tight race which won't be decided until the close of business today.
The US contest is also in a close race for...2nd place.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Currently i am in second place with a 42.8% return
Groovin Mahoovin is neck and neck with 42.3% return.

We'll know this evening!
RIP Mr. Bogle.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The battle for 2nd place raged on throughout the intra-day. But at the closing bell, it was Groovin Mahoovin edging out Consternatio Partners by 0.51%. The final standings are in:

Code: Select all

Rank	Fund (Manager)	Return %
1	Tanelorn Capital: Better Lucky Than Good (Tanelorn)	99.66%
2	Groovin Mahoovin (ready20)	43.06%
3	Consternatio Partners (grok87)	42.55%
4	Infidelity Contrabandista Fund (protagonist)	39.45%
5	Crude but K-mart sucks (MnD)	30.62%
6	Aluminum Foil Partners (Ice-9)	23.76%
7	The Mirage Fund (veggivet)	22.36%
8	iRocZ $$ NA CdBd B0XX Hdg H0gg$ (dougger5)	21.34%
9	0LDZEY'$ 0SAGE 0RANGE FUND (oldzey)	19.73%
10	Commonwealth of Buckaroo Dough Holdings (GoldenFinch)	19.08%
Canadian standings are here: Re: 2016 hedge fund contest (Financial Wisdom Forum)

Tip: Select Column N, then right-click "Sort sheet Z--->A" to ensure the stats are updated.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote:The battle for 2nd place raged on throughout the intra-day. But at the closing bell, it was Groovin Mahoovin edging out Consternatio Partners by 0.51%. The final standings are in:

Canadian standings are here: Re: 2016 hedge fund contest (Financial Wisdom Forum)

Tip: Select Column N, then right-click "Sort sheet Z--->A" to ensure the stats are updated.
Congrats to Tanelorn and Grooving Mahoovin!

And congrats to LadyGeek for winning the Canadian contest...
RIP Mr. Bogle.
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

Wow, isn't this back-to-back victories for Tanelorn? Congrats! Where do we sign up to invest with your consistently outperforming fund? Lol. :sharebeer
dougger5

Post by dougger5 »

Hey now, I'm just happy to have cracked the Top 10 :beer
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

dougger5 wrote:Hey now, I'm just happy to have cracked the Top 10 :beer
Look at that, I am number 10! :sharebeer
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

hornet96 wrote:Wow, isn't this back-to-back victories for Tanelorn? Congrats! Where do we sign up to invest with your consistently outperforming fund? Lol. :sharebeer
Tanelorn wrote:Tanelorn Capital: Better Lucky Than Good
Our concentrated portfolios are designed to debunk that myth that short selling is risky and remind potential investors that no matter how cheap a stock is, there is always 100% to be made on the way to zero.

Short:
SIXD 6D Global Technologies (last price was $2.90)
As the new year approaches, we at Tanelorn Capital wish to thank our investors for having the patience and confidence to stick with our proven sell and hold approach, especially as we lagged the benchmarks, the rising broader market, and many of our honorable peers' funds in the early months of 2016. In the end however, the fundamental lack of value of our short position was rewarded and we are pleased to report our Concentrated Short Value portfolio returned 99.7% for the year. Thank you one and all.

A special thanks goes out to our original investors from 2015 who have stuck with us for two years now (2015, +57%). While our 2016 results will be hard to top (given we can only make 100% at most with our short selling approach), we hope to deliver strong absolute returns in the coming year. We have closed our short position in 6D Global Technologies at $0.01 as of year end, and invite those wishing to compound their 2015 and 2016 gains by investing in our best short pick for 2017 to join us in the thread above.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Tanelorn wrote:Tanelorn Capital: Better Lucky Than Good
Our concentrated portfolios are designed to debunk that myth that short selling is risky and remind potential investors that no matter how cheap a stock is, there is always 100% to be made on the way to zero.

...we offer a more diversified short-bias alternative portfolio...

Short:
BTU Peabody Energy
UDF United Development Funding IV
CDRB Code Rebel Corp
For those wishing a more diversified short-biased approach, we are pleased to present the final unaudited results for our Diversified Short Value portfolio, which was spread across the energy, real estate, and software sectors.

Alternative portfolio
Initial prices (as of 1/4/16 close)
BTU 7.75
CDRB 2.77
UDF 10.28

Closing prices (as of 12/30/16 close)
BTUUQ 5.00
CDRBQ 0.0002 (darn close to zero!)
UDFI 3.00

BTUUQ -35.5%
CDRBQ -99.99%
UDFI -70.8%
Average -68.8% 
One FBI raid, one SEC Wells notice, two bankruptcies, three exchange delistings, and innumerable shareholder lawsuits later (all in just three stocks!), our investors earned a respectable return of just under 70%. 2017 offers new promise and we have closed these short positions and plan to offer a similar alternative portfolio for our more conservative investors in the coming year. As we say here at Tanelorn Capital, "Better lucky than good", so stay tuned and wish us continued good luck in 2017.
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

The management team at The Mirage Fund is pleased to present our end of year report to our shareholder (we only have one left). We are pleased to report that we have outperformed the market in 2016 (before fees), thanks to our deep research, excellent timing, and blind luck. We invite new investors to join us in 2017, as we introduce some novel ways to line our pockets with your money. Don't worry about those silly fees that we are required by law to show you; they are just a mirage on the way to financial success. I am also pleased to report that we will be installing our powerful, patented, proprietary stock picking hardware very shortly. (No connection to our new 'dart board' fee.)

In closing, we thank our investor for her confidence in us over the years (Love you, Mom!) and look forward to continued outperformance (before fees) over the long term. And if not, remember our motto: 'We only show you what we want you to see.'
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.
amp

Post by amp »

LadyGeek wrote:The battle for 2nd place raged on throughout the intra-day. But at the closing bell, it was Groovin Mahoovin edging out Consternatio Partners by 0.51%. The final standings are in:

The google doc shows positions 2 & 3 reversed with ready20 having a return of 42.55%, while grok87 gets 43.06%. Perhaps a transcription error?
grok87

Post by grok87 »

amp wrote:

The google doc shows positions 2 & 3 reversed with ready20 having a return of 42.55%, while grok87 gets 43.06%. Perhaps a transcription error?
Thanks! So i ended in 2nd place after all!

Sweet!
RIP Mr. Bogle.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

amp wrote:The google doc shows positions 2 & 3 reversed with ready20 having a return of 42.55%, while grok87 gets 43.06%. Perhaps a transcription error?
Possibly, as the spreadsheet does indeed show the positions reversed. :shock: However, I checked that 3 times and no one else has challenged the standings until now.

There's been no trading since Friday. grok87 is indeed in 2nd place, Groovin Mahoovin is in 3rd. If it was my error, I apologize.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

LadyGeek wrote:
amp wrote:The google doc shows positions 2 & 3 reversed with ready20 having a return of 42.55%, while grok87 gets 43.06%. Perhaps a transcription error?
Possibly, as the spreadsheet does indeed show the positions reversed. :shock: However, I checked that 3 times and no one else has challenged the standings until now.

There's been no trading since Friday. grok87 is indeed in 2nd place, Groovin Mahoovin is in 3rd. If it was my error, I apologize.
no worries!
:)
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Topic Author
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Apologies to the participants. I have been seriously offline.

Given that the results have been duplicated, that my script seems irretrievably broken, and I'm wrestling with other alligators, I'm going to leave it be.

A happy new year to all.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:Apologies to the participants. I have been seriously offline.
Given that the results have been duplicated, that my script seems irretrievably broken, and I'm wrestling with other alligators, I'm going to leave it be.
A happy new year to all.
Even though I didn't participate in this great hedge fund contest, your hedge fund thread - and in particular, your commentary Norbert - has been a wonderful read and respite from the daily grind :D So I hope you're not off-line :(
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 6: The Eternal Triangle. Risk, return & cost are the 3 sides of the eternal triangle of investing and are too powerful to ignore.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

-deleted-
Last edited by snowshoes on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.