Jack Bogle on Bloomberg TV (12-29-15)

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
bondsr4me

J Bogle on Bloomberg TV today

Post by bondsr4me »

I just heard Jack is gonna be on Bloomberg TV today at 11:00am.

Should be interesting....he always is.

Don
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: J Bogle on Bloomberg TV today

Post by abuss368 »

bondsr4me wrote:I just heard Jack is gonna be on Bloomberg TV today at 11:00am.

Should be interesting....he always is.

Don
Hi bondsr4me,

Thank you for the update.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Rx 4 investing

Jack Bogle on Bloomberg TV (12-29-15)

Post by Rx 4 investing »

Thanks to a heads-up from “bondsr4me” , here’s the links to today’s Jack Bogle interview on Bloomberg TV.

(FYI..The interview was broken up by a commercial break, hence two different segments.)

Jack Bogle's Guide to a Winning Strategy (4:34). He touches on several of the “Twelve Pillars of Wisdom”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/20 ... g-strategy

Vanguard's Jack Bogle Speaks His Mind on ETFs (2:48) :

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/20 ... nd-on-etfs
“Everyone is a disciplined, long-term investor until the market goes down.” – Steve Forbes
bradshaw1965

Re: Jack Bogle on Bloomberg TV (12-29-15)

Post by bradshaw1965 »

That interviewer was especially rough. The outrage at a flat year was palpable and then to blame it on indexing. Mr. Bogle is especially good at staying calm and lucid under tough circumstances.
michaelsieg

Post by michaelsieg »

Thanks for posting Rx 4 investing, I always enjoy to hear him talk - he always helps to put the gyrations of the market into perspective and to keep a long-term focus.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Thank you.

Thanks shipmate Rx for the link to the interview.

Mister Bogle is such a decent man!

It is a shame that we don't have hundreds like him in Wall Street.

Wishing everyone a productive Wall Street's Window Dressing Final Three Days.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
gkaplan

Re: J Bogle on Bloomberg TV today

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
nptit

Jack Bogle's Guide to a Winning Strategy

Post by nptit »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Great interview with Jack Bogle on Bloomberg http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/20 ... g-strategy.

I like his take on interest rates with regards to inflation. Additionally, he closes out strong noting the gap between index funds and actively managed funds.
bs010101

Post by bs010101 »

I am unfortunate to sit near a TV with Bloomberg all day long, where they have to think of things to say every minute of every day. The interview is funny because they are not speaking the same language. Although Mr. Bogle does venture into some short-term predictions, his basic message is that it doesn't really matter what happened or will happen in the short term because we can't predict the future. To which the interviewer says something like, "but last year..."
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Thanks for posting. As always Jack is at the top of his game.

I really am truly amazed how sharp this man is for his age. It really seems like Jack and Warren Buffett are getting better with age.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
cfs

Re: Jack Bogle's Guide to a Winning Strategy

Post by cfs »

Thank you

Duplicate of this conversation: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=180616&newpost=2736826
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
IPer

Post by IPer »

"No, I don't think it's a signal that something's wrong..." - Quite a refreshing spurt compared to all the noise
I have been trying to duck/ditch these days. Think about this: How many folk would not want Jack Bogle to come to
dinner at their house? How many folk would put him up for a week, no questions asked? How many for a year?!

Bottom Line: We Need More Jack!!!

Best Wishes to All for a Happy 2016
Read the Wiki Wiki !
Beat The Street

Post by Beat The Street »

"The index had a measly 2% return..."

She's right, maybe we all should invest in Third Avenue funds.
“Never ask anyone for their opinion, forecast, or recommendation. Just ask them what they have—or don’t have—in their portfolio.” -Taleb
IPer

Post by IPer »

Jack Blows Little Alarmist Betty Totally Away and then they fade in the music and cut him off, 4:34...Betty is not welcome
at my house, Jack is!
Read the Wiki Wiki !
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged bondsr4me's thread into here, which is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

_
I think Jack "nailed" that interview.

The subject matter was obviously rough, but he was calm cool and collected.

She asked what would have been better for investors than Index fund investing.

To which Jack apologized for referring to "relative" performance before addressing "Well actively managed investing did 7% worse."

She parried with "but what about last year?"

To which Jack answered, "the difference in performance between those two choices was again about 7%. You can't control the market but what would you have rather been invested in?"

He capped it off with the summary that you can't predict the market, but you can pick the investment strategies.

He was also quite eloquent in "teaching" with the simple mention that dividends plus inflation put us right at historic 6-7% gains for the year. And then mentioned valuations were around 20 times earnings but suggested if and when they do return to something more historic like 17 times that would affect performance but only in the short term.. its predictable, its expectable.

After listening to that I "might" be encouraged to invest future money in something like "bonds" but I think that would be overly reactionary. Unless the 20 times vs 17 times were really out of whack for a long period.. its going to bounce and bobble up and down over a long period of time and even itself out.. it has too.. the market is an Averaging "machine" above all else. For every 20 times earnings.. there will be overly pessimistic times.. long term the best thing is don't "speculate" just keep investing.. and sooner or later you will automatically "catch" those Red Apple Sales.
jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 »

bs010101 wrote:I am unfortunate to sit near a TV with Bloomberg all day long, where they have to think of things to say every minute of every day. The interview is funny because they are not speaking the same language. Although Mr. Bogle does venture into some short-term predictions, his basic message is that it doesn't really matter what happened or will happen in the short term because we can't predict the future. To which the interviewer says something like, "but last year..."
.. Sounds like cruel and inhumane treatment to me.

Pehaps you should ask for hazard pay..
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved nptit's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

stemikger wrote:Thanks for posting. As always Jack is at the top of his game.

I really am truly amazed how sharp this man is for his age. It really seems like Jack and Warren Buffett are getting better with age.
Hi stemikger,

I could not have said it better.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

It seems like the interviewer is saying that since the S&P was up a miniscule amount this year it isn`t worth investing in it even though the managed funds lost on average 5 %. This makes no sense. Obviously the station is against index funds.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

So glad JB go a jab in at the concept of a "traders' market." It's a dangerous myth for small investors.