Buy Like Bogle: 7 Essential Lessons from Jack Bogle

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Buy Like Bogle: 7 Essential Lessons from Jack Bogle

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Buy Like Bogle: 7 Essential Lessons from the Founder of Vanguard http://fundreference.com/guides/bogle/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Fallible

Re: Buy Like Bogle: 7 Essential Lessons from Jack Bogle

Post by Fallible » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:43 pm

A good read and thanks for posting.

I do wonder why the article says Jack was an "unlikely critic of ETFs," since their trading and short-term aspects go against the long-term that Jack has always stood for.
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Fallible wrote:A good read and thanks for posting.

I do wonder why the article says Jack was an "unlikely critic of ETFs," since their trading and short-term aspects go against the long-term that Jack has always stood for.
I'd guess that it's because Vanguard, the company he founded, is a huge player in the ETF arena.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 pm

Outstanding. It's always amazing to me how simple investing can be, if we let it be so. Bravo to Jack, one of the titans of the mutual fund industry.
Indexing works, not because of magic, but because of math. | Diligentia. Vis. Celeritas. - Jeff Cooper | Original Vanguard Diehard

Norris

Post by Norris » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Good stuff, Mel and thanks for sharing.

Norris
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Fallible wrote:A good read and thanks for posting.

I'd guess that it's because Vanguard, the company he founded, is a huge player in the ETF arena.
Right. On the surface of it, it at least seems unlikely, but if one knows Jack well... :happy
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:32 pm

Jack Bogle said wrote:..., how can I keep investing the day that the market goes down 600 points? Well, that’s the greatest time in the world to invest. It’s certainly better than doing it the day before it goes down 600 points.
http://quicktake.morningstar.com/widget ... vid=648240 At time point 1:20 into the video. Sounds familiar to this RBD investor.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:45 am

Great post, Mel, thanks.

I can never get enough of Bogle's simple and straightforward insights on investing which demonstrate not only deep knowledge and vast experience but also something much more rare, wisdom. In the arena of dispensing investment advice, he is a giant surrounded largely by dwarfs hawking their wares.

Garland Whizzer

pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks Mel, pure gold. Sometimes I wonder why we have a huge forum when the true essence of successful investing can be summed up in just 7 simple lessons.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.

NoRoboGuy

Post by NoRoboGuy » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:24 pm

Great post. Thanks, Mel!

Jack has been such a trustworthy voice for small investors. His wisdom has for decades given investors the confidence to do it on their own without needing "professional" help, against huge marketing campaigns to the contrary. For that alone, we owe Jack a great debt of gratitude.

His work has reduced fund fees and promoted broad acceptance of index investing - a great legacy. Thanks, Jack!
There is no free lunch.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Jack Bogle

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:06 pm

Mel:

Thank you for your "Lessons from Jack Bogle."

No one in the mutual fund industry has a greater combination of impeccable character, practical experience, knowledge, inventive genius, wisdom, perseverance, literary ability, kindness, modesty, and the desire to help others."

Upon returning from our last Boglehead Conference, Mariam2 wrote:
I learned that John Bogle is as incredible a person as I thought he would be. He is cordial, decent, charming, classically educated, intellectually free-ranging, a strong speaker, wonderfully witty, and he truly delights in being around "his Bogleheads."
Bogleheads have a giant for their mentor.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks Mel. Regular reinforcement with the right methods for our investing endeavors are surely appreciated.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:02 am

Hi Mel,

Thank you for your "Lessons from Jack Bogle."

I enjoyed the article.

Best.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."