Northwest FCU 3-year 3.04% Add-On CD

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Bustoff

Re: Northwest FCU 3-year 3.04% Add-On CD

Post by Bustoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 am

drzzzzz wrote:I think it is somewhat disconcerting that a week later no one has had an ACH transfer done by this bank - these are automated, easy to set up, and happen regularly at all banks - just feeding into concerns about this particular credit union and why they needed to offer such a high rate for funds and now can't seem to process the requests in a timely fashion.
Northwest gets three stars from Bankrate.com, five stars from bauerfinancial.com and an A rating from Deposit Accounts

http://www.bankrate.com/rates/safe-soun ... ?cuid=5500
https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/n ... tml#health

Thanks again to Kevin M!

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:25 am

I heartily congratulate all the new happy customers of Northwest. You've gotten a great rate!

As for us, we just emailed them and asked that they delete our applications. After some discussion my wife and I decided that if we were having so much trouble giving them money how much trouble might we have getting it back.

Call me paranoid but I don't need a few thousand dollars this bad. I suspect another good deal will be along shortly.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:31 am

Call me paranoid ...
I assume these CDs are completely safe as far as default, FDIC insured or the like, right ?
Northwest gets three stars from Bankrate.com...
I just got a survey from them, mainly asking about the ease of opening my account; as you might imagine, they got a lot less than 3 stars !

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:57 am

I'm continuing to call every 2 hours. So far nothing but a busy signal. And this is to their main line even!

All I need is for them to say whether they will give the 3.04% rate for applications submitted before the presumed Friday deadline. I've got money now sitting on the sidelines waiting to go somewhere. Either its going to be into this CD or it has to go back into Vanguard. Being out of the market has, to date, cost me $$$.

z-man

Post by z-man » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:11 pm

I have found the quickest way to get a response regarding the application is to send a message through the application system. Phone not so much.

z-man

Post by z-man » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 pm

furwut wrote:I'm continuing to call every 2 hours. So far nothing but a busy signal. And this is to their main line even!

All I need is for them to say whether they will give the 3.04% rate for applications submitted before the presumed Friday deadline. I've got money now sitting on the sidelines waiting to go somewhere. Either its going to be into this CD or it has to go back into Vanguard. Being out of the market has, to date, cost me $$$.
If you selected the Dream CD and submitted before cutoff I am sure you will be fine.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:13 pm

z-man wrote:I have found the quickest way to get a response regarding the application is to send a message through the application system. Phone not so much.
Tried that all last week. No response. :annoyed

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:13 pm

furwut wrote:I'm continuing to call every 2 hours. So far nothing but a busy signal. And this is to their main line even!

I just spoke to NWFCU this morning. They said it will take a few days for completion of the initial transfer.

They also confirmed that during the first 6 months of membership, any additional deposits intended for the Dream CD need to be executed/initiated from our external accounts into the NWFCU savings account, then follow up with an internal message requesting they move that money from savings into the CD.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Bustoff wrote:I just spoke to NWFCU this morning. They said it will take a few days for completion of the initial transfer.
All well in good but it sounds like you are much farther along the process than I am. I submitted my application (for membership) last Monday and it still has not been processed. I never received the response email with my assigned membership number. Consequently my second application (for the Dream CD) is stuck in Pending Status as it requires the member number.

MIretired

Post by MIretired » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:34 pm

K M- moderator and all:
If you still have a pending/non-finished app.:
I just called them 703-709-8900 x5. I had started an app THU 10/8 and found that I had mistakenly started setting it up as funding thru the app for $10,000. min CD. This is a deposit account and membership app. if you fund the 10k thru the online app. But I wanted to fund thru direct transfer, an IRA.

The CSR had me back button back thru the app today, and delete the 3 yr. CD account choice and just leave the primary savings acct choice ($1.00 open required.) that's required.
I got thru the app for cost of $11.00 (FAN member choice.) The CSR (Robert, the only Robert) assured me of honoring the 'Dream" rate, but to make a note during the app process in any notes box of this being for an IRA app.
I now have to fill out IRA app form 2300t (search home page, or search IRA, and open the correct IRA/ROTH trustee app form.)

He said fax or email THAT app with a cover doc saying for Dream rate. To IRA dept fax: 703-925-5125 or email them to IRA head: BMOORE@NWFCU.org

So, if your app is still pending/not filled out and have app #, you can still get in, today anyway!

P.S. the loss between a 1.5% and 3.04% 3 yr CD after 3yrs. is roughly about 4.5% or ~2.5 wks. of income, assuming it's ALL for the income that yr. after the 3rd yr.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:56 pm

z-man wrote:If you selected the Dream CD and submitted before cutoff I am sure you will be fine.
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] Do we even know if our money at NWFCU are guaranteed in any way ?

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Your deposits ARE insured at NWFCU up to the specified limits by the federal organization NCUSIF similar to FDIC insurance at a bank. That's not a worry to me.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:09 pm

furwut wrote:Your deposits ARE insured at NWFCU up to the specified limits by the federal organization NCUSIF similar to FDIC insurance at a bank. That's not a worry to me.
You just have to prove they have your money... :)

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:17 pm

:D I finally got through and my application(s) are now getting attention. Sent a copy of my ID and submitted a secure email with my funding details. So know its just a matter of waiting I suppose.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Praise the lord I was able to cancel our request to open an account. I'll move on to the next offer which may or may not be better. Contrasted to the 2.25% 25 month CD at US Alliance this was such a royal PITA I don't even know where to start.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:40 pm

I finally heard back on my 10/2 application today; apparently the scan of my identification isn't good enough. Gosh I can't wait for round 2.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:45 pm

JDDS wrote:I finally heard back on my 10/2 application today; apparently the scan of my identification isn't good enough. Gosh I can't wait for round 2.
Take a picture!

After finally getting them on the phone today things for me progressed lightning fast. Account has been opened for my stated amount. The only thing left remaining, I believe, is for them to complete the funding from my bank.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:37 am

I'm not sure what's causing all the anxiety/panic among people. It seems like a little patience is all that's required. Here's my timeline without me ever initiating any contact with Northwest.

Oct 3 - applied online, joining FAN in order to be eligible, specified CD to be funded from Ally acct

Oct 7 - received e-mail saying to login to the application center, message stated they needed an upload of my license, I did so

Oct 13 - received two e-mails, one asking me to e-sign the application I had created online and the other welcoming me to Northwest

Oct 14 - created online login and saw both the required savings acct and the CD properly funded, logged onto Ally and saw the proper amount had been removed (posting date of Oct 14)

Tonight I will set up a transfer from Ally to Northwest in order to put more money into the CD

-Steph

mur44

Post by mur44 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:09 am

Even though we opened the Dream CD's 10 days ago, money is
yet to be pulled from our bank.

When can we expect the transactions to be completed?

Kevin and Maria, how about yours?

Constant Chaos

Post by Constant Chaos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:33 am

SRenaeP wrote:I'm not sure what's causing all the anxiety/panic among people. It seems like a little patience is all that's required. Here's my timeline without me ever initiating any contact with Northwest.

Oct 3 - applied online, joining FAN in order to be eligible, specified CD to be funded from Ally acct

Oct 7 - received e-mail saying to login to the application center, message stated they needed an upload of my license, I did so

Oct 13 - received two e-mails, one asking me to e-sign the application I had created online and the other welcoming me to Northwest

Oct 14 - created online login and saw both the required savings acct and the CD properly funded, logged onto Ally and saw the proper amount had been removed (posting date of Oct 14)

Tonight I will set up a transfer from Ally to Northwest in order to put more money into the CD

-Steph
That is nice for you that it has all worked out without any intervention. That has not been the case for everyone, including me. I applied Oct 2 (and needed to call to keep it progressing as it stalled)
Oct 5 account opened and shown with balance for CD.
Oct 6-13 money still not pulled from outisde account to fund CD. Called Oct 9. CS promised funds would be pulled that day or Oct 13 at latest.
Oct 14: funds still not pulled. Called. CS does not know when funds will be pulled. Can not give any estimate whatsoever.

I am not panicked. But I am baffled why someone whose account was opened after mine has had money pulled and why NWFCU can not even give me an estimate as to when my funds will be pulled.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:35 am

mur44 wrote:Even though we opened the Dream CD's 10 days ago, money is

Same situation with me, but not quite a 10 day wait. If you sign up for online banking with Northwest you'll see the date your CD willl mature. It looks like my CD was opened days ago and they didn't receive the money. So if they didn't ACH the money yet they'll get around to it. As I look at it my money is earning 4% (1% at Ally and 3% at Northwest) till they do the transfer.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

MariaT

Post by MariaT » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:52 am

I initiated online application Sunday night (Oct 4th) and entire process (account#, online banking setup, external account setup) was completed Monday morning (the 5th) before noon. The initial funds were pulled from my account Tuesday (the 6th) and my account was good to go Wednesday (the 7th). Perhaps my application trickled in on the first batch and avoided the onslaught of incoming applications - I don't know.

I still have to complete the balance of my new CD funding once transfers from my other funding sources are completed. Luckily, there's a shared bank in my locality and will drop off a check this week.

mur44, I suggest you contact the bank and inquire. Maybe the phone calls have slowed down since the Dream CD closed last Friday evening.

Good luck.

Warm regards,
-Maria

pghpens

Post by pghpens » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:04 am

I started my application for the 3 year CD last Thursday, and just got around to setting up the funding from my bank account. When I went to confirm my app, it said the 3 yr dream CD was no longer available. Guess I waited too long. Oh well.

tfb

Post by tfb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:43 am

This was a great test. When facing the same obstacles, some succeeded, some failed, some gave up.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:02 am

pghpens wrote:I started my application for the 3 year CD last Thursday, and just got around to setting up the funding from my bank account. When I went to confirm my app, it said the 3 yr dream CD was no longer available. Guess I waited too long. Oh well.
It would be worth a phone call to see if they would honor it since everything was so s-l-o-w to process the past week.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:04 am

tfb wrote:This was a great test. When facing the same obstacles, some succeeded, some failed, some gave up.
Define success. :) Opening an account and buying a certificate shouldn't be a test - it's one of the most common financial routines in the world I'd imagine.

The rate is great and I'm happy for those that got in and those who are still fighting the good fight to make it happen. Northwest doesn't inspire me with confidence and I'm funny about putting $50,000 in an institution that I'm not comfortable with.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am

tbradnc wrote:
tfb wrote:This was a great test. When facing the same obstacles, some succeeded, some failed, some gave up.
Define success. :) Opening an account and buying a certificate shouldn't be a test - it's one of the most common financial routines in the world I'd imagine.

The rate is great and I'm happy for those that got in and those who are still fighting the good fight to make it happen. Northwest doesn't inspire me with confidence and I'm funny about putting $50,000 in an institution that I'm not comfortable with.
Should be interesting three years from now when we all withdraw at the same time.

furwut

Post by furwut » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:47 am

Well in my case calling and getting to the head of line, so to speak, greatly speeded things up.

pghpens

Post by pghpens » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:40 am

2cents2 wrote:
pghpens wrote:I started my application for the 3 year CD last Thursday, and just got around to setting up the funding from my bank account. When I went to confirm my app, it said the 3 yr dream CD was no longer available. Guess I waited too long. Oh well.
It would be worth a phone call to see if they would honor it since everything was so s-l-o-w to process the past week.
Thanks for the advice. I called them and they said they would still honor it!

The only question I have for people who got through is, when you pay the $10 fee does that come out of the deposit that you put into the CD? I transferred $10,000 from my bank account. Should I have transferred $10,010 to cover the fee? I'm worried that I won't meet the minimum now.

Constant Chaos

Post by Constant Chaos » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm just trying to open a CD, not partcipate in some strange financial version of The Hunger Games!

I did receive the welcome note from NWFCU in the mail today, complete with my handwritten name and address on the envelope. Seems like an odd deployment of man power when they apparently don't have enough time/staff to execute money pulls. :wink:

G12

Post by G12 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:09 pm

I was instant approved last Thursday after finishing the pending application. Have not received the esign email, etc, and have messaged through the account page indicating approved and via email and have not heard jack. At this point I don't really care if the CD funding happens or not as it does concern me about future dealings and getting the money out.

surfer1

Post by surfer1 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:45 pm

I seriously considered opening one of these CDs, but ultimately decided against it, based upon this forum post alone. There is too much uncertainty. I'd be concerned with what will happen upon maturation. I think this is one of the cases where the boglehead philosophy of "simplicity" out-weighs the extra 1% over a traditional bank CD or bond ETF.

To those who successfully opened this CD with a fantastic rate, congrats. :D

Topic Author
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:22 pm

mur44 wrote:Even though we opened the Dream CD's 10 days ago, money is

I think I've already documented my timeline, but to recap, the money was pulled from my external bank account the day after the application was approved and I was able to create an online account at NWFCU and see the CD. This was about a week ago. I applied 10/1, CD maturity date is shown as 10/1/2018, but deposit and open date are shown as 10/5/2015. Not sure if I'll earn interest from 10/1 or from 10/5.

However, for my fiancee who's timeline was just a little behind mine (applied same day, Oct. 1, but upload of DL and email follow up delayed by one day), we still have not seen the funds come out of her external bank account yet. Her maturity date is shown as 10/01/2018, but deposit and date opened are shown as 10/05/2015, as for me. As someone else said, she's making 4% during the overlap time, so no worries, unless there was an actual problem with the transfer (e.g., entered wrong account or routing number), in which case I'd expect she'd hear from NWFCU. Given all the others having delays here, I doubt it's a problem with the transfer.

For my Mom, who's timeline was more delayed, CD is shown as opened and funded on 10/7 on NWFCU site, and maturity date is 10/7/2018, but money still has not been pulled from her external account. Note that open dates and maturity dates here are consistent, but unlike mine or my fiancee's.

One difference is that my external account for the initial funding was a checking account, while for my mom and fiancee it was a savings account.

I'm not going to worry about the money not being pulled from the external accounts yet for now, so won't be doing any follow up calls or emails about it. It is strange though that it takes them this long to get around to the step that actually pulls the money into their credit union.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

Topic Author
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:35 pm

pghpens wrote: The only question I have for people who got through is, when you pay the $10 fee does that come out of the deposit that you put into the CD? I transferred $10,000 from my bank account. Should I have transferred $10,010 to cover the fee? I'm worried that I won't meet the minimum now.
For me it came out as a separate transfer. So if you entered $10K for the CD, there will be a transfer for $10K and another transfer for $10, so total of $10,010.

So it depends what you mean by "I transferred $10,000 from my bank account". If you are concerned, just send them an email or secure message clarifying your intention, and make sure you have $10,010 in the external bank account.

I just remember entering $15K for the CD, and that the $10 was pre-filled for FAN. I don't remember if there was another field in which I entered $15,010.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

tfb

Post by tfb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:16 pm

tbradnc wrote:

Success: achieved what you set your eyes on. Giving up isn't necessarily bad. It's important to know when to hold and when to fold. People value their time and attention differently. People assess risk and future opportunities differently. A 3.5% 3-year CD could very well come along in a few months from a bank/CU that makes it super-easy. You just never know.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

2cents2

Post by 2cents2 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:07 am

pghpens wrote: The only question I have for people who got through is, when you pay the $10 fee does that come out of the deposit that you put into the CD? I transferred $10,000 from my bank account. Should I have transferred $10,010 to cover the fee? I'm worried that I won't meet the minimum now.
Yes, you need to transfer $10010. The $10.00 covers the FAN fee. Then the NWFCU puts in $1.00 into your share account to keep it open.

ThisTimeItsDifferent

Post by ThisTimeItsDifferent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 am

My CD took 5 days from start to completion, plus 2 days to finalize the initial deposit.
A family member's took 7 days to completion. Final approval was after the CD offer closed but it was still at the offered 3%.
Another family member applied 6 days ago and is still waiting for the application to be accepted, but assumes it will still be at the offered 3%.

panhead

Post by panhead » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:45 am

My final update on this thread: The $$ got pulled from my savings account today. Certificate shows opened on 6 October, so about 9 days of dual interest.
I'll meet you guys back here in October of 2018!

Happy2BeFree

Post by Happy2BeFree » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 am

Looks like my 4% double-interest days are over as of this morning! Opened the account Oct. 2, and the money got transferred this morning in two transactions: one for the $10 fee and one for the CD funding. Way to go, NWFCU! :moneybag

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 am

Same here! Funds finally pulled from external account today. Never thought I would be so happy about 3%... sheesh

Anyone aware of any other promos coming up?

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:17 pm

FlamingoTime wrote:Same here! Funds finally pulled from external account today. Never thought I would be so happy about 3%... sheesh

Not having received a response to 4 emails, with a referred status, I finally called and canceled the application. Although 3% is great, this credit union does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe not the best financial decision on my part, but I will sleep better at night.

tbradnc

Post by tbradnc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Sourc3 wrote:
FlamingoTime wrote:Same here! Funds finally pulled from external account today. Never thought I would be so happy about 3%... sheesh

Not having received a response to 4 emails, with a referred status, I finally called and canceled the application. Although 3% is great, this credit union does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Maybe not the best financial decision on my part, but I will sleep better at night.
You are not alone. I made the same call.

It's an interesting thing to see folks excited about simply being able to accomplish opening an account and give the bank money.

mur44

Post by mur44 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Our funds have just been transferred to NWFCU
as of this morning. We are happy. Thanks all of
you (especially Kevin and Maria).

Now I am looking for 1 and 2 year CD's so that I
can build a CD ladder. I can wait and watch
CD rates before I commit funds.

rks

Post by rks » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I also applied for this certificate more than a week back, and today got a message that they need my DL copy. I was curious if they process my application now, would I still get the 3.04% rate that is no more active on their website?

Thanks

Topic Author
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:44 pm

rks wrote:I also applied for this certificate more than a week back, and today got a message that they need my DL copy. I was curious if they process my application now, would I still get the 3.04% rate that is no more active on their website?
It seems to be the case that as long as the application was submitted while the special was available, you get the special rate. I would send and email or call confirming this.

My concern about this happening is why I followed the tips from others, uploaded my DL shortly after submitting the application, and followed up with an email requesting expedited handling of the application.

Please let us know if it works out for you, since it appears that being lazy and patient has worked just fine for others.

Kevin

Topic Author
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:47 pm

This seems to be a big day for NWFCU to pull from external accounts. I see the money pulled from my mom's Ally Bank savings account today, but not yet for my fiancee's AB savings account, yet we submitted my fiancee's application and completed all follow-up steps before my mom's.

Kevin

furwut

Post by furwut » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:55 pm

My CD was finalized Tuesday. Notified by my bank that my funding was pulled today. I think they are catching up on what must have been a huge backlog of new account openings for them.

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:09 pm

tbradnc wrote:
Sourc3 wrote:

You are not alone. I made the same call.

It's an interesting thing to see folks excited about simply being able to accomplish opening an account and give the bank money.
I agree, knowing sales experience should be about 10x smoother than any customer service related question/problem. I will go for a lower yield and better tech/customer service. I am considering just a high yield savings account from Discover Bank.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:51 pm

I electronically received and signed the docs today. I signed up for online account access and see the certificate. I think the last thing is to see money come out of my other account. Then in a few months after doing a promotional bonus at Capital1 360, I will worry about an add-on deposit.

feh

Post by feh » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:41 pm

Anybody know how you can see what your account number is? I can't find a way to view it thru the web interface.