Aug 2015 correction: what Bogleheads did...

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
joe8d

Re: Aug 2015 correction: what Bogleheads did...

Post by joe8d » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:53 pm

Bought some LS Growth in my Roth.
All the Best, | Joe

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:56 pm

TLH; usual 401k contributions.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

pascalwager

Post by pascalwager » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:11 am

I don't need to rebalance. My stocks are the VG TWS fund and I just keep about $50k in Treasury funds and a slug of "cash". If I did rebalance, it would be every few years with no influence by market events.

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:14 am

Threw a little tantrum about 'Corrections' always coming in the Middle of the Month.

Actively "Did Not" check on my balances.. as I normally do everyday.

Shut off the Financial news category on my phone.

Got on with Life.. so essentially.. I did.. Nothing.

.. well .. "I actively" buried my head in the sand.

Confuscious would not be proud.. I saw no..

"Opportunity in Confusion"

Sun Tzu might have given me a break..

"Know thy self, Know the Enemy"

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:45 am

Martin wrote:OK, now a different view. I went from 100% equity to about 5%. Was I panicked? not at all. the momentum of US is negative with or without the alleged recovery. While the Buy and Hold crowd is happy to have held, I am equally happy to have sold pretty much on schedule and more importantly stay out as the market appeared to recover. Whether you are buy and Hold or follow a momentum strategy it is likely more important that the strategy is followed than which strategy.

So we end the week up from this bottom, but down from the peak. US equity is still expensive. Where it goes next nobody knows. I have my money earning 2% pretty much risk free. that sounds really good in the volitile environment where nothing looks particularly attractive.
Dropping below the moving average *and* being overvalued, it has often proven wise in the past to get out of the market at this point

I did well with a momentum strategy for a while .. Eventually folded it and bought hedge funds
"Economics is a method rather than a doctrine, an apparatus of the mind, a technique of thinking, which helps its possessor to draw correct conclusions." - John Maynard Keynes

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:52 am

Too funny. I bought 50 shares of VTI just as the market tanked, then my computer died.

samuck

Post by samuck » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:36 am

I doubled my monthly contribution, investing in my global core ETF as usual and emerging markets ETF, which had gone underweight with this correction.

Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:24 am

I consider this Monday being the 31st and next Monday being Labor day.

empb

Post by empb » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:44 am

I TLHed and added some new cash this past Friday. In other words, business as usual.

On Monday, as I recall, VBR was down 7-9% while, at the same time, IJS was down 25%+. Having overlooked some shares of SHY (short-term treasuries) in my taxable account (about 5% of portfolio), I thought I'd no cash to deploy. Could have picked up IJS on Monday, re-bought my bond allocation this Friday and been up 30%+ within a week.

A few others here seem to have made this trade. Wish I were one of them!

AAAAARGH. :oops:

Did anyone notice any other 'something-ain't-right-here' prices?

max12377

Post by max12377 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:01 am

I was too busy working. If I'm supposed to react to daily/weekly/monthly changes I'll become a day trader. The only number I look at is my stocks to bonds. As long as it has not veered over 5% I do nothing. Right now we are in the 2-3 percent range. I'm thankful I have other ways to occupy my time.. :beer

ugaDAWGS09

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 am

I took several BH posters advice and finally started my taxable account by purchasing 5k worth of Total Stock Market. I know it wasn't a correction, but I thought the shares seemed like a good price and I got in at the lowest point (a little luck doesn't hurt) :D

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:31 am

Used about 9K of cash that had accumulated from dividends to buy more VYM. Otherwise Zen.

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:49 am

Did nothing. Too busy looking for a job after my company let me go after nearly 14 years there. :(

But sometime I need to move that high-fee 401k into something else.

cottonseed1

Post by cottonseed1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:06 am

I did not hit my rebalancing bands, so I did nothing.

packet

Post by packet » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:21 am

Tim_in_GA wrote:Did nothing. Too busy looking for a job after my company let me go after nearly 14 years there. :(
Sorry to hear... good luck!
Tim_in_GA wrote:But sometime I need to move that high-fee 401k into something else.
"There's no time like the present."
"Don't delay, act now!"
"Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

I think you get my point... :)

:beerCheers,
packet
First round’s on me.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:30 am

kenyan wrote:I would have rebalanced, had I not been on a business trip. For one thing, I was too busy to log in and figure out what needed to be done; for another thing, I make it a point never to log in to my secure financial accounts over various brands of hotel wi-fi or other connections with dubious security. By the time I returned from my trip, my tripped band had gone back "in the black," so to speak. Oh well.

Therefore: I did nothing. Had I been home, I would have rebalanced.
Well, maybe next time you can plan to use a cellular data connection instead of WiFi to rebalance. This assumes you have a smartphone and are on good terms with the relevant mutual fund app.
The Vanguard mobile app works OK and I've done transfers while standing up...
Attempted new signature...

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:31 am

We did some minor rebalances, totaling about 1.2% of the portfolio. We did it in my 401K to avoid taxable events.

Unlike 2008 when my wife was panicking, this time she just casually said "do a rebalance" and went back to her web browsing. We've been through it before much worse, so this really was a non-event.

If it ges back down, we'll do another tweak. If it goes back up, we'll rebalance back into bonds once my 30 day trading windows clear.

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:32 am

I directed new money to the worst performing asset classes. But I always do that. I did take some of my 20 month emergency fund and invest it on Monday. So I made "extra" retirement contributions when things were down.

I thought about tax loss harvesting VWO but I had bought the prior week and didn't want a wash sale. By the time I looked at other funds later in the week they were back up to the point that my losses were not worth harvesting.

I did not sell any of my bonds to rebalance. Perhaps I should have but I didn't check my rebalancing bands until later in the week and at that point they were intact.

My assessment of myself:

Good:

I did not panic and sell equities. I bought low, sometimes very low (eg IJS was at 88 for like 5 min and I picked some up.)

Bad: I probably missed out on TLH opportunities that I should not have because I waited.

Perhaps I should have sold some bonds and bought more equities. Next time I will check my bands earlier and act if necessary.

Overall: no major mistakes, possibly missed out on using the correction to maximum advantage.

Grade: B+?

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:38 am

I did nothing. My allocation never moved even close to a re-balance band so no action required.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:43 am

cottonseed1 wrote:I did not hit my rebalancing bands, so I did nothing.
Same here.
I target a 50/50 AA now in retirement.
I was up to around 53% stocks at the market's peak and 52.5% stocks the week prior to the correction.
At the depth of the correction, Tuesday's close, I was around 49.5% stocks, so no need to tamper...
Attempted new signature...

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:46 am

Tim_in_GA wrote:Did nothing. Too busy looking for a job after my company let me go after nearly 14 years there. :(

But sometime I need to move that high-fee 401k into something else.
The silver lining is you have a lot of options now as far as moving that 401K, maybe converting some to Roth if the math says so. You'll probably get a good tax refund as well.

Good luck on the search, but don't let it discourage you if it takes a while.

AviN

Post by AviN » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:51 am

I purchased $10k Vanguard Total International last weekend from cash (not yet part of my long term portfolio) to get my asset allocation back on track. And it looks like my order went through on August 24, at the market bottom, so I now have an unrealized capital gain of $590. I feel slightly guilty for my accidental success at market timing.

Avi

Topic Author
siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:02 am

thx1138 wrote:
livesoft wrote:I think it's a shame some people do calendar-based rebalancing.
Why do you think that? Do you have some evidence to support it? Why would immediate threshold triggers perform better than calendar based rebalancing based on the same thresholds? The threshold trigger rebalancer is more likely to catch a falling knife and follow the market down while the calendar based rebalancer is more likely to miss small duration dips like this.

I've looked at rebalancing schemes and back-tests a number of times and I've never seen any claim that threshold triggers outperform calendar based. In fact, the only evidence I've seen is exactly the opposite of that - a 1 to 2 year rebalance period typically slightly outperforms a shorter or continual trigger based one.

But perhaps I've missed some more recent study, if you've got a reference I'd love to read it.
thx1138, I used to think the same as you, and then I read this excellent paper, and this made a lot of sense to me, and changed my perspective (and IPS rebalancing section). I certainly don't plan to monitor the market every day (I actually missed the first day of the correction - was fishing!), but if I happen to notice a significant drop or gain, I'm going to check my numbers, and act on it if I have a chance...
http://www.tdainstitutional.com/pdf/Opp ... yanani.pdf

RNJ

Post by RNJ » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:51 am

TLH entire position of PXF to SFNNX. Couldn't fill my FNDF limit orders and didn't want to chance a market order, so I went with the fund rather than the ETF. Suddenly I have a sizeable gain on the position. We'll see where we are in a month.

Took a TLH on VWO (to IEMG) last month. Have a loss there as well, but can't take advantage just yet without wash sale.

That's it.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 am

This was the first hiccup since making a gradual change of our AA to a straight-ahead 50% Treasuries/50% equities (75/25 US/international), so it was a useful test. You need times like these to see if you've hit your SWAN (sleep well at night) AA, and I think I have.

Made no changes; tracked the percentage of changes each day to see how everything worked together; knew things would get better, at least temporarily, by the end of the week, as that's when my biweekly contribution went in. (It's so rare that my contributions go in on a noticeably down day...) Overall change from 8/17 to 8/28: -2.64%.

This wasn't dramatic enough to be called a correction, though. None of my holdings reached the 5% trigger, and since most is in TSP, it's nearly impossible to pull anything off had I wanted to, as any orders need to go in before noon Eastern. I work during the day, and despite how entertaining and potentially profitable the intra-day finagling might have been, it's not really an option.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 am

I'm just a passive, passive investor. I check my allocations after the end of every quarter.

Best wishes to those who prefer to check more often. Not checking yesterday's job performance numbers is one of my great joys in retirement. You can keep checking your daily balances, and I will keep enjoying my retirement without that.

Jason Zweig, "I don't know, and I don't care."
Firesign Theatre, "Who knows? Who cares?"

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 am

I simply bought more VTSAX and didn`t look back. Not peeking works good for me. All I knew was that the market went down a lot and it was on many television stations asking loads of investment people what they thought. My wife even mentioned it to me which never happens. Some experts said it was a correction and some said it was a bear market. Don`t you just love these experts ! I just figured both Buffett and Bogle would say buy more or stand still and do nothing. So I decided to buy more and not peek as I had some extra money available. One day the real bear market will be on us but I realize I have to not peek and ride it through buying more if I have the money available.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:09 am

I simply bought more VTSAX and didn`t look back. Not peeking works good for me. All I knew was that the market went down a lot and it was on many television stations asking loads of investment people what they thought. My wife even mentioned it to me which never happens. Some experts said it was a correction and some said it was a bear market. Don`t you just love these experts ! I just figured both Buffett and Bogle would say buy more or stand still and do nothing. So I decided to buy more and not peek as I had some extra money available. One day the real bear market will be on us but I realize I have to not peek and ride it through buying more if I have the money available.

phanas

Post by phanas » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:06 am

I see many folks seem to have gained by triggering rebalancing during the whiplash correction.

My 401k as well as IRA are 100% in Target Retirement Funds. Do these funds rebalance automatically to harvest benefit from such corrections?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am

phanas wrote:I see many folks seem to have gained by triggering rebalancing during the whiplash correction.

My 401k as well as IRA are 100% in Target Retirement Funds. Do these funds rebalance automatically to harvest benefit from such corrections?
I believe the fund managers do rebalance during such action as last week to get a benefit. They probably do it manually though.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:22 am

nothing. September 1, I will do rebalancing. Did research Dividend payers for IRA. CVX is a buy, but I believe will
still go below 80 a share. A 5% yield that is a safe dividend. May pull trigger. Had cash on the sidelines.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:29 am

livesoft wrote:
phanas wrote:I see many folks seem to have gained by triggering rebalancing during the whiplash correction.

I believe the fund managers do rebalance during such action as last week to get a benefit. They probably do it manually though.
I don't know. I own Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate, which is supposed to be 60/40 with further breakdowns to International. At times I have looked at the actual allocation, it seemed to me to be significantly off, perhaps by 3% overall. Say, 63%/37%. But, when you see those numbers at Vanguard or Moningstar, there is no way to know how current they are.

I would not assume they rebalance to take advantage of daily blips. It has also been speculated here that their actual rebalancing methods are a secret, to prevent others from front-running. Sounds plausible to me.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Leeraar wrote:[…]
I would not assume they rebalance to take advantage of daily blips. It has also been speculated here that their actual rebalancing methods are a secret, to prevent others from front-running. Sounds plausible to me.

L.
See this analysis in the other thread asking a similar question: viewtopic.php?p=2607625#p2607625

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

siamond wrote:thx1138, I used to think the same as you, and then I read this excellent paper, and this made a lot of sense to me, and changed my perspective (and IPS rebalancing section). I certainly don't plan to monitor the market every day (I actually missed the first day of the correction - was fishing!), but if I happen to notice a significant drop or gain, I'm going to check my numbers, and act on it if I have a chance...
http://www.tdainstitutional.com/pdf/Opp ... yanani.pdf
Brilliant .. I've been looking for something like that .. Nice to see the benefits laid out so clearly

I've been pondering looking into per-asset-class rebalancing using a trend-following approach, as I think some asset classes (like emerging markets) may benefit from a different rebalancing frequency to others (perhaps US stocks), and that it may be fairly market dependent (e.g. if Small-cap Value wants to surge ahead for 3 years, might it be best to let it?)
"Economics is a method rather than a doctrine, an apparatus of the mind, a technique of thinking, which helps its possessor to draw correct conclusions." - John Maynard Keynes

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 pm

I hold a lot of cash (serving, for now, a dual purpose as an oversized emergency fund and a probable down payment on a condo in the next year or two). My cash position has grown somewhat larger than I'd like and I'd given idle thought to putting a small piece of it back in the market, but hadn't pulled the trigger until the recent declines. I initiated a transfer of cash from my savings bank to my brokerage on Monday of last week; it didn't arrive until Tuesday morning, so I immediately set up an order for the total stock market fund and total international fund. Both orders were filled after the close that day, so I was very lucky in that I caught the bottom for the week. It won't make a big difference to my overall financial position either way, and I suppose I'm guilty of a bit of market timing, but it was kind of fun and I'm glad to have a little more in the market (while still not particularly interested in putting in much more given my continuing desire to save for a downpayment).

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:58 pm

livesoft wrote:
Leeraar wrote:[…]

L.
See this analysis in the other thread asking a similar question: viewtopic.php?p=2607625#p2607625
If you are to get a maximum rebalancing bonus, you must rebalance at the half-point of each market cycle. Those who rebalanced at Monday's market close seem to have got it just right.

Vanguard manages their funds of funds as a blob, including the corresponding ETFs. Given the growth of indexing, I imagine they can simply rebalance the Target Date and LifeStrategy funds by directing net inflows. If the target ratios get out of whack for a few days due to volatility, I doubt they do much about it.

This is what I imagine. I am an engineer, not a fund manager. :D

And, not for a moment, do I regret my choice of a career!

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

Maynard F. Speer

Post by Maynard F. Speer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:22 pm

That's why I'm pondering a trend-following approach

You can bemoan such a system for not being the perfect market timer, but for catching dips and taking profits prior to bear markets, it's not bad

Also you could find optimal trend bands for each asset class - e.g. more volatile investments, like EM, could benefit from quarterly or bi-annual rebalancing (obviously this would involve a cash-buffer) ... More to the point: is it too much hassle? And could I find a piece of software that will just flash up when certain ETFs cross their moving averages?

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:36 pm

Just doing nothing here - never reached my 5% rebalancing band.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:44 pm

Fortunately for me, I had just received a fairly large cash distribution (business related) ~2 weeks ago, and planned on lump sum investing 50% into my slice and dice taxable account, and DCA'ing the rest over next 12 mo. I hadn't planned on timing the market, but the "sale" fell into my lap, so I invested 25% on Fri, and the other 25% on Mon (10% S&P 500, 10% Large Value, 10% Small Blend, 10% Small Value, 20% Total Int'l, 40% Int Muni's). Will now continue slow DCA'ing as planned.
Last edited by sleepysurf on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:50 pm

john94549 wrote:Too funny. I bought 50 shares of VTI just as the market tanked, then my computer died.
Lol - I caught the first big drop with an order for 51 shares of VTI and then fell asleep watching Bloomberg TV.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:27 pm

Mind you, I suspect having a dead computer the past week probably saved me more than a "live" computer. For better or worse, I still have those "extra" 50 shares of VTI, bought at "somewhat" of a discount.

Now that I have a new computer, I checked the balance on my "fun money" Schwab account. Those 50 shares of VTI have basically gone sideways.

Electron

Post by Electron » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:44 pm

I sold Mutual Series MQIFX for a tax loss and reinvested most of the assets. This move will be a great help on my taxes. MQIFX has made very large distributions over the years and is more suited to tax deferred accounts.

It is unusual to hold a Growth & Income fund for over 27 years and then sell at a tax loss. The large distributions prevented any significant appreciation in NAV.

The surprise is that my 1988-2001 investments in this fund grew ten fold not including taxes paid along the way. The fund actually outperformed the S&P 500 Index since 1980 on a total return basis.
Electron

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Electron wrote:I sold Mutual Series MQIFX for a tax loss and reinvested most of the assets. This move will be a great help on my taxes. MQIFX has made very large distributions over the years and is more suited to tax deferred accounts.

It is unusual to hold a Growth & Income fund for over 27 years and then sell at a tax loss. The large distributions prevented any significant appreciation in NAV.

The surprise is that my 1988-2001 investments in this fund grew ten fold not including taxes paid along the way. The fund actually outperformed the S&P 500 Index since 1980 on a total return basis.
I think "taxes paid along the way" are way to hide the what is effectively additional investing the fund. After all, it is unlikely that you sold shares in order to pay the taxes.

Sometimes this is good because the stealth nature makes one not worry about it and makes it difficult to compare to the total return of a benchmark like the S&P500 which probably had a different tax bite. But I guess not applicable to tax-advantaged account anyways.

cyberlian

Post by cyberlian » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:55 pm

Made a contribution to my Roth and established a new position in QSPIX (AQR Style Premia Alternative fund).

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I did some tax loss harvesting, but I did it the week before the main decline, because I already had losses in my Emerging Markets Index at the time.

I also took advantage of the decline to make a move that wasn't really a harvest. With the addition of small-cap to Emerging Markets Index, and the fact that emerging markets are also included in my VSS (FTSE All-World Ex-US small-cap). I have less need to have small-cap emerging markets in a separate fund, so I took advantage of the opportunity to sell my EEMS (iShares EM small-cap); it happened to be at a small loss. I might have sold anyway to harvest the loss, although the trading costs on EEMS are so high that the spread might cancel out the tax benefit.
Wiki David Grabiner

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:22 pm

Bought 4 lots of a dime stock, which was a third off the previous week. Represents <1% of total portfolio. I may sell when the stock attains 50% gain. Not sure yet. :confused
I am now fully invested.
YMMV. We have our Number in longevity deferred annuities. GL :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:54 pm

First, I have no idea if we just saw the August 2015 Correction, or the beginning of the bigger Q4 2015 correction, or the beginning of the 2015-2017 bear market, or what. So it might be a bit premature for taking a tally.

I did some tax loss harvesting on "black Monday". That's all (so far). I did review how I'm directing my 401k contributions, but decided not to change anything at present. Never got close to considering a rebalance.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

kolea

Post by kolea » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:15 pm

I did not even check my account let alone buy or sell anything. I suppose I should have checked on any TLH opportunity but I am pretty sure I have no losses to harvest.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

jwillis77373

Post by jwillis77373 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:43 am

packet wrote:
Sorry to hear... good luck!
Tim_in_GA wrote:But sometime I need to move that high-fee 401k into something else.
"There's no time like the present."
"Don't delay, act now!"
"Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today."

I think you get my point... :)

:beerCheers,
packet
Karmic Laws say.. as soon as you get your house in order.. the sooner you'll find that job

It's always hard to focus on taking out the trash.. when there's something on TV.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:32 am

I don't see a difference between rushing to rebalance every time the market hiccups and market timing..?

Seems inconsistent with the BH philosophy, isn't it? What would Jack do?

_D_