best auto re-balancing brokerage firm to put my portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
riptide

best auto re-balancing brokerage firm to put my portfolio

Post by riptide »

If I don't want to rebalance , and want auto rebalancing , which brokerage is the most affordable with the best service. Is it the new schwab intelligent portfolios?

I have TSP from work and a brokerage account. I'd rather just leave it alone and have it done automatically. I have 5 diversified Vanguard index funds in the brokerage account. I guess I have to balance the TSP account myself.
Brokerage account-100% stocks | VG total Market 55% | VG small cap value 20% | VG Reit index 25% | | TSP Account 75C/25S | C Fund75%, S25%, | | Bonds: U.S. Treasury 5 year Note, 1 year T Bill
C8H18Engineer

Re: best auto re-balancing brokerage firm to put my portfolio

Post by C8H18Engineer »

There might be easier and lower cost ways to achieve auto-rebalancing and your longer term goals. Have a look at the Life Strategy and Target Retirement series of mutual funds.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

My one and a half cents? Only difference between LS, TD and a brokerage auto-rebalance would be if you wanted different funds than LS and TD offer in an auto-balance setup. (I'm assuming you can use an array of different funds in a "balance by robot" situation.)
mickens16

Post by mickens16 »

The TSP Lifecycle funds rebalance every night. Why don't you select one that matches your risk criteria and not worry about it? Are the Vanguard funds in an IRA or taxable account? If IRA than just a balanced fund similar to the TSP fund. If the funds are in a taxable account than you will need to find the cost basis to determine if switching funds would be beneficial for you at this time.