Backdoor Roth: How Long To Wait For Conversion?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
powermega

Backdoor Roth: How Long To Wait For Conversion?

Post by powermega » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:45 am

I'm just curious what others here do for this, something like a poll...

When doing a backdoor Roth conversion, how long do you wait to perform the conversion from the traditional IRA to the Roth IRA? A day or a few days? A week or a few weeks? Do you wait for one "statement cycle" to pass? Do you wait months or even until the next calendar year? If you work with an adviser (I know, pretty rare around here), what do they recommend?

To answer my own question, in the past I have done this within a day or two and one time even on the same day. I recently updated my IPS to indicate that I will wait "three complete business days" (ex: deposit on Monday, convert on Friday), which I will do starting in 2016. I generally agree with the discussion about the Step Transaction Doctrine laid out by the WhiteCoatInvestor here.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Big Dutch

Re: Backdoor Roth: How Long To Wait For Conversion?

Post by Big Dutch » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:50 am

I wait several days, one week at most.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:57 am

I put the traditional in a Vanguard Money Market Fund. I convert to Total Stock Market in Roth on a day when the market is down. It's usually within 1-2 weeks.

tfb

Post by tfb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:34 am

powermega wrote:Do you wait months or even until the next calendar year? If you work with an adviser (I know, pretty rare around here), what do they recommend?

I wait months but within the same calendar year. The money is invested from day one, not left in a money market fund. Michael Kitces, an advisor, recommended waiting a year.

How To Do A Backdoor Roth IRA Contribution (Safely)
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 am

If you have the slightest worry about sequence of events wait a month or more. It really doesn't matter. If you wait weeks/months and then you convert it all, you will either, (1) owe some small sum in tax on gains at the conversion, or (2) if there was a loss you will convert less than your basis so the small remainder gets carried forward to next year on the 8606 form.

IMO, either of these things are trivial consequences.
JW
Retired at Last

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 am

I do it the next day. Do you really think 3 business days will give you additional safety?

Iorek

Post by Iorek » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:28 pm

I wait at least a month, sometimes several of I am waiting to sell on a dip.

I freely admit that there is a de minimis risk the IRS will start enforcing step transaction doctrine retroactively against individuals. That said, I like having a month because that's how long the IRS says to wait to avoid a wash sale so it seems like a good benchmark for separating the transaction into two parts.

(I have a lot of respect for emergdoc but I don't think the question of whether you ultimately intended to convert is as central to the step transaction doctrine as that discussion suggests; on the other hand I think in a practical sense it's not worth debating or worrying about.)

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:35 pm

The government can always decide at any point that the backdoor roth is not legal. Waiting a day, a week, even a year might not completely absolve you if the irs decides that you are violating the step transaction doctrine. It has been 5 years and no one has been audited and told they couldn't do the backdoor roth. So as they say, you pays your money and takes your chance. For now it is legal, and it is up to you to decide if you really want to wait that year and pay the small amount of taxes on any gains vs doing it in a couple days. I did it as soon as the money was available to transfer before I retired. If you do a backdoor roth every year for many years, but wait a year each time, how is that not showing intent to do a backdoor roth all along?
Mike

powermega

Post by powermega » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:20 pm

barnaclebob wrote:I do it the next day. Do you really think 3 business days will give you additional safety?

No, not really. I just wanted to define a rule to go by.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:56 pm

I wait one day. This is clearly a permitted move. I don't feel any anxiety about it at all.

tyler_cracker

Post by tyler_cracker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:27 am

i do not wait. i queue up the money before the first of the year to avoid the delay between my bank and my ira custodian. i contribute to the traditional ira on the first trading day of the year. i convert to roth the second trading day of the year.

i'm surprised at how many people mentioned trying to time the market in their answer!

sesq

Post by sesq » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:36 am

letsgobobby wrote:I wait one day. This is clearly a permitted move. I don't feel any anxiety about it at all.

Same here.

2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Roughly 20 seconds, or the time it takes me to click the buttons (vanguard regular backdoor) or make the ph e call (fidelity mega backdoor)
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:26 pm

1 or 2 days.

Beth*

Post by Beth* » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 pm

I wait until the money posts in my tIRA and then I transfer it that day or as soon as I can access a secure computer. I travel a lot for work and I don't like to do financial transactions over hotel networks, so if I am not home when the money posts in the tIRA I might get delayed transferring it for a couple of days. I don't see any point in artificially waiting for a set number of days to go by.

vikings

Post by vikings » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks all for the helpful replies. One more question related to conversion. Does it matter that the money in Traditional IRA is invested in some fund? Eg: One transfer the money from his saving account to traditional IRA account. Once the money is posted, let it sit for a couple of days and then convert to Roth.

Also, do we have to keep some documents related to the transaction for the tax returns?

Thanks!

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 pm

vikings wrote:Thanks all for the helpful replies. One more question related to conversion. Does it matter that the money in Traditional IRA is invested in some fund? Eg: One transfer the money from his saving account to traditional IRA account. Once the money is posted, let it sit for a couple of days and then convert to Roth.

Also, do we have to keep some documents related to the transaction for the tax returns?

Thanks!

If the money is in some kind of investment, it can gain or lose value before it gets converted. A small gain in value is not a big problem - you just pay tax on the gain. A loss is more of a paperwork issue because you are left with some unused basis that you have to keep up with from year to year.

Yes, there is paperwork and you should understand it before you even consider using the back door. Lots of people mess this up and it is time consuming and frustrating to get it straight. Suggest you watch over the next 4 months for all the "how do I fix this back door problem" threads. It might save you some aggravation. Also download some Forms 8606 and work through it in pencil. If you can't get it to come out right, don't do the back door.
https://thefinancebuff.com/the-backdoor ... ow-to.html

island

Post by island » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Bracket wrote:1 or 2 days.

+1. Soon as the money transfer clears.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm

ASAP. Keeps it simple. Show me one instance of the "step doctrine" ever coming back to bite someone after a backdoor Roth conversion and I'll let the money simmer in my tIRA a little longer. But there's no real (codified in law) legal difference between waiting one day and one month.

PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:48 pm

I convert the next day. I haven't heard of anyone having issues doing so.

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 am

I convert the next day. I'm skeptical that waiting any length of time will protect you from the step transaction doctrine should the IRS decide that backdoor Roth IRA contributions are not allowed.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 am

Biglaw Investor wrote:I convert the next day. I'm skeptical that waiting any length of time will protect you from the step transaction doctrine should the IRS decide that backdoor Roth IRA contributions are not allowed.

It's not the IRS, it's Congress that determines if backdoor Roths are permissible or not.
If law is enacted making them not permissible, the IRS will be on top of it going forward...
Attempted new signature...

Biglaw Investor

Post by Biglaw Investor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:13 am

The Wizard wrote:
Biglaw Investor wrote:I convert the next day. I'm skeptical that waiting any length of time will protect you from the step transaction doctrine should the IRS decide that backdoor Roth IRA contributions are not allowed.

It's not the IRS, it's Congress that determines if backdoor Roths are permissible or not.
If law is enacted making them not permissible, the IRS will be on top of it going forward...

That's the point of the conversation though. It's not a law that makes the Backdoor Roth IRA not permissible. Non-deductible contributions are allowed. Conversions are allowed. People are worried that the IRS would initiate a challenge against an individual taxpayer seeking to invalidate such taxpayer's Backdoor Roth contribution. To support this position, the IRS would point to the step transaction doctrine to convince a tax court to collapse the series of steps into a single transaction, given that such single transaction is not permitted by law. I've never heard of this happening.

Deamon615

Post by Deamon615 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am

I'm a little late to the party, but I just learned about the Backdoor Roth and want to take advantage of it asap. This thread has been helpful, so first off thanks for everyone's prior input. I have a somewhat related question on timing.

Since Roth IRA contributions have to be established by the tax-filing deadline (April 15, 2018 for the 2017 tax year), am I able to effectuate a Backdoor Roth right now for the 2017 tax year, and then as another commenter posted above, do it again during the first trading days of 2018 (and establish a yearly cycle)? Or would I have to wait until after the tax-filing deadline? I do not currently have an IRA, just a 401K.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Deamon615, welcome to the forum.
Deamon615 wrote:Since Roth IRA contributions have to be established by the tax-filing deadline (April 15, 2018 for the 2017 tax year), am I able to effectuate a Backdoor Roth right now for the 2017 tax year, and then as another commenter posted above, do it again during the first trading days of 2018 (and establish a yearly cycle)?
Yes. But to be specific, you'll be making a TIRA contribution, not a Roth IRA contribution. The deadline is the same either way.
Or would I have to wait until after the tax-filing deadline?
You do not have to wait until after the tax-filing deadline. You can set it up for January 2nd.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm

In fact, it is better (easier to understand the paperwork) to do the two steps in one calendar year. This puts the contribution on the front side of Form 8606 and the conversion on the back side of the same form.

I'd suggest you download and pencil through form 8606 before trying this. The steps to do the back door are easy - few clicks of the mouse. The paperwork and accidentally having another IRA are the things that people mess up on. If you can't figure out the paperwork by hand, do not do the back door and don't expect a tax-preparer to be able to help.

birdog

Post by birdog » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Next day.
The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity -Bruce Lee