ONLINE TurboTax data exposed

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
stratton

ONLINE TurboTax data exposed

Post by stratton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:28 pm

Turbo tax online data is being exposed to other users of the web version. This does not effect the version you install on your computer.
A Turbo Tax customer herself, the woman attempted to access some past filings and the route she took online opened returns for several others with the same last name but different first initials.

"For a bad guy to get this information would mean they could retire rich and happy," the woman said.

She was able to access tax returns for Turbo Tax customers she never met in different parts of the country. On her screen, she found everything needed for electronic filing from bank account to routing digits and Social Security numbers.
Web TurboTax Exposure

Paul

Rick

Post by Rick » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:55 pm

This doesnt suprize me. Every month we hear stories about data being misplaced, stolen or similiar to what your saying.

I like TurboTax, but use the CD.

Rick

tfb

Post by tfb » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 pm

I knew this was coming when I wrote "Tax Software: Online or Desktop?"
1. More Secure. When you use a desktop software, your tax data stay locally with you, not on the vendor's web site. I'm sure the vendors all tell you they have the greatest security for their web site and servers but we also often hear about data loss from different companies who also said they had the greatest security. If they didn't have my data in the first place, they can't lose them.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Target2019

Post by Target2019 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:28 am

Whether you transfer data to the internet or sit in a room connectionless, you'll eventually lose something along the way.

It is interesting that a major software company can't discover security flaws. Where have I heard that before?

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:54 am

tfb wrote:I knew this was coming when I wrote "Tax Software: Online or Desktop?"
1. More Secure. When you use a desktop software, your tax data stay locally with you, not on the vendor's web site...
Well yes and no. Last year there were numerous reports of people who found tax returns on other peoples' hard disks using P2P filesharing programs like Kazaa. Granted, if you don't know how to configure such programs to not expose your private data to the world, you have no business running them. But that just means that all-too-many people out there have no business running filesharing software of any kind for any reason ;)

That said, I agree that with desktop software you have more control over the security of your tax returns — providing you know how to secure that data and you actually do so.

coastn

Through VG

Post by coastn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:49 am

We get to Turbo through the VG site, logging into VG first. Is that any more secure?

-David
Do good. Do well. Take a nap.

chaz

Re: Through VG

Post by chaz » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:47 am

coastn wrote:We get to Turbo through the VG site, logging into VG first. Is that any more secure?

-David
I have done this for 3 years, and, so far, no problem.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Drain

Post by Drain » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:17 am

Logging into TT through the Vanguard site is the same as logging in directly through the TT site, except that it sets a temporary cookie (or whatever) to give you a discount should you choose to pay for filing your return that day.
Darin