M* X-ray Stock Intersection Inaccurate for anyone else?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
sharpjm

M* X-ray Stock Intersection Inaccurate for anyone else?

Post by sharpjm »

I just signed up for the free 14 day trial of the M* Xray tool. I added my investments and was browsing through the stock intersection tab and noticed that some large holdings were missing.

For example, Eli Lily shows up as the small % I have in VGHCX but it does not show any holdings for Lily in TIEIX (TIAA version of total stock index). I added a ficticious holding of VTSAX and it, too, did not show Lily as a holding in VTSAX.

There are many other funds that show overlap in both VGHCX and TIEIX correctly, such as MRK, BMY, ACT, UNH, etc.

I noticed a similar issue with some funds that were held in TREA (QREARX) but showed no holdings in the total stock index funds.

Is this a common issue with the stock intersection tool or am I missing something? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it only lists the top ~50 (or 25?) holdings of each fund?
Doc

Re: M* X-ray Stock Intersection Inaccurate for anyone else?

Post by Doc »

I haven't looked at this tool in years. I have a vague recollection that they took it down for some time while they revamped it. It's just not something I worry about. I certainly wouldn't worry much about something that has a very low portfolio holding.
A scientist looks for THE answer to a problem, an engineer looks for AN answer and lawyers ONLY have opinions. Investing is not a science.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

sharpjm wrote: The only thing I can think of is that perhaps it only lists the top ~50 (or 25?) holdings of each fund?
Yes, it only lists the top holdings. I think your right that it's about 50.
Sailor36

Post by Sailor36 »

The X-ray stock intersection tool only shows the top 50 holdings in each fund. This is OK for answering a question like "Do I have more than 5% of my equities in any one stock?"

However it can produce some confusing results if you have a large holding in a Total Stock Market fund like VTSAX, where the 50 largest holdings only account for about 37% of the fund's holdings.