Vanguard offers a DRiP. What stocks are eligible?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
HenryPorter

Vanguard offers a DRiP. What stocks are eligible?

Post by HenryPorter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:58 pm

What stocks are eligible for the Vanguard dividend reinvestment plan?

Uncle Pennybags

Re: Vanguard offers a DRiP. What stocks are eligible?

Post by Uncle Pennybags » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:03 pm

HenryPorter wrote:What stocks are eligible for the Vanguard dividend reinvestment plan?
:?: You can reinvest dividends in all of Vanguard's funds. For individual stocks the reason for dividend reinvestment plans is to cut out a broker and buy stocks directly form the company.

HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:13 pm

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
HenryPorter wrote:What stocks are eligible for the Vanguard dividend reinvestment plan?
:?: You can reinvest dividends in all of Vanguard's funds. For individual stocks the reason for dividend reinvestment plans is to cut out a broker and buy stocks directly form the company.
I don't want to keep a DRiP at a another custodian. With Vanguard, I can set a limit order price for X amount of shares and pay a $7 commission. When signing up for a DRiP with something like computershares, I believe you have no real control of when the principal shares are bought after you send in your money. Hence, OK, you avoid a commission, but you are getting shares possibly at a price that you might not want to have gotten them at.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Vanguard Brokerage features automatic dividend reinvestment for stocks with no-fee and no-commission. Looks like you need to opt-in for this.

A guess would be "most all" dividend paying stocks. The eligibility requirements spell it out, but beats me which particular stocks would not be eligible. That last bullet point also states that they can make a security eligible or ineligible without prior notification.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatwe ... endprogram