Looking for advice or experiences regarding a job change.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
WilliamRice

Looking for advice or experiences regarding a job change.

Post by WilliamRice »

I currently work for a big company. My growth has stalled so any raise I would get for the foreseeable future would be minor. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed a promotion and a nice raise but the promotion was the last I would get where I currently am. My wife an I live just outside Boston and have two kids. She works remotely and can keep her job with a relocation. We have paid of all the debt we have but one student loan debt @100/month with 7k left.

I have recently interviewed for another job much farther outside of the city that I work in, where the cost of living (housing) is substantially cheaper. The job would pay 2k less than what I make but a better title and it's for a newer company that has fantastic growth potential and to make up for the lower salary they would offer stock equity in the company. The people are fantastic, the learning and overall dynamic is really exciting. I know that it's a risk and I am generally not a risk taker in terms of career but I don't want to look back in a few years being in the same spot regretting a potential great change.

Does anyone have any similar experiences of advice - would be much appreciated.

William
LiveSimple

Re: Looking for advice or experiences regarding a job change

Post by LiveSimple »

Go ahead and make the move, if you have a better title and better compensation.

Compensation, calculate based on cost of living, bonus, stock option, vacation, 401 k match + a convenience factor that you see.

Sometime you have to make a move to grow, at least you will have a diverse experience, which will make you more valuable in the next move after 5 years or so.
coldplay221

Post by coldplay221 »

I'd take it, if I were you.

With your wife working and you not being totally happy with your current job, you could take a bit of a risk.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

I would ignore the title issue myself; so much window dressing.

Move for the personal growth which sounds real.

One issue is do you want to live in the boonies vs near Boston? Some people love the boonies, some don't. How does that work for you and your spouse?
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.