Roth IRA question

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
mptness

Roth IRA question

Post by mptness »

Is an early distribution from a Roth IRA that is equal to or less than the contributions always free of taxes and penalties, or does the Roth have to be in existence for 5 years to avoid the 10 percent penalty?
DSInvestor

Re: Roth IRA question

Post by DSInvestor »

Fairmark.com has a great section on Roth IRA and other Roth retirement accounts:
http://fairmark.com/retirement/roth-accounts/

At the page linked above, you will find a section on Roth Distributions. Read the pages on Distribution Overview and Tax Free distributions from Roth IRA.
Wiki
Topic Author
mptness

Post by mptness »

Thank you for the link. I will take a look for the answer. I have researched this a bit and I remain confused about the 5 year test ( does it only apply to earnings). In the meantime I was hoping one of the IRA experts could answer my question.
Last edited by mptness on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seattlenative

Post by Seattlenative »

mptness wrote:Is an early distribution from a Roth IRA that is equal to or less than the contributions always free of taxes and penalties, or does the Roth have to be in existence for 5 years to avoid the 10 percent penalty?
Great question. Here's an IRS publication addressing this specific issue:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf
Topic Author
mptness

Post by mptness »

Thank you for the link to the IRS publication. I will have to see if I can find the answer there... Although, you may call me lazy, but I was hoping someone knew. Does the 5 year rule apply to contributions and earnings, or just to earnings?
Rob Bertram

Post by Rob Bertram »

You can always withdraw contributions tax and penalty free. The 5-year rule does not apply to contributions. The rest is complicated, but the answers are summarized nicely in the fairmark website.
Topic Author
mptness

Post by mptness »

Thanks Rob Bertram! I will look at the fairmark website in more detail. Thanks also to Seattlenative and DSInvestor! You all are what makes this forum a great resource for information about investing!