This Morning's Dilbert - Investment Help

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
GDBryan

This Morning's Dilbert - Investment Help

Post by GDBryan »

pkcrafter

Re: This Morning's Dilbert - Investment Help

Post by pkcrafter »

:happy
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Rolyatroba

Post by Rolyatroba »

Hopefully, it will be the theme for a few days.
CAP_theorem

Post by CAP_theorem »

Eerily similar to the investment advice of the CEO of a company I once worked at. They recommended purchasing stock in bankrupt companies that "weren't going away". American Airlines for example. A great way to boost your returns he said. When the market was down for a spell they would lament about only having 3% puts on the S&P 500.
Igglesman

Diversification

Post by Igglesman »

This is from Scott Adams....in 2/21 Dilbert... http://dilbert.com/

That's about right.
gkaplan

Re: Diversification

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Igglesman's thread into here. Here's the cartoon direct from from Dilbert.com:

(This is an inline image link, which constitutes copyright fair use: Linking to Copyrighted Materials)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Dilbert has been on a run lately:

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-02-26
Last edited by DFrank on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's a series called: Boss gives Asok investment advice Inline linking to Thursday's cartoon from dilbert.com:

If anything shows up tomorrow, post the image here. In firefox, right-click --> view image. Then, past the link using the "img" tags. Attribute the image (give credit) to Dilbert.com. The above image looks like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://assets.amuniversal.com/23a6985085c90132c101005056a9545d[/img]
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Monday's cartoon from Dilbert.com:

For those needing background info: Southwest Airlines Engulfing, Reversal Candle Signals Downsi
trueblueky

Dilbert on investment advice

Post by trueblueky »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

From today's cartoon:

Isok the Intern: "I followed your investment advice and lost all my savings in the stock market."

Pointy-haired Boss: "Did I mention that past performance is not an indication of future returns?"

Intern: "Then... how does 'advice' actually work?"

Boss: "It only works for the people that give it."
joe8d

Re: Dilbert on investment advice

Post by joe8d »

Scott Adams has got to be on here :happy
All the Best, | Joe
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged trueblueky's thread into here.
gmtret

Post by gmtret »

Thanks for all the lol's from Dilbert! I had an Organization Theory Prof back in the day that absolutely loved Dilbert. If Adams does not imbibe here then he certainly should!
Good luck- Chris
And thank you Saint Jack and V* for recent ER changes.
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." | - Albert Einstein
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

This sort of post is entertaining... but definitely a rabbit hole....
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

It gets better ...

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
scone

Post by scone »

This stuff is brilliant. It's easy to read, it's got the punch, and great visuals. If you put a short essay with each cartoon to explain the underlying issues, it would make a very effective teaching tool. It could potentially reach a wide audience, as many people won't read investing books because they are boring, overly technical, and dryer than a martini in the Sahara.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Rolyatroba

Post by Rolyatroba »

scone wrote:This stuff is brilliant. It's easy to read, it's got the punch, and great visuals. If you put a short essay with each cartoon to explain the underlying issues, it would make a very effective teaching tool. It could potentially reach a wide audience, as many people won't read investing books because they are boring, overly technical, and dryer than a martini in the Sahara.
https://retirementplans.vanguard.com/VG ... nalFinance

Not exactly what you had in mind, but maybe someday he'll integrate this with the strips.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

I believe the Guide is published in "The Way of the Weasel".

L.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

scone wrote:This stuff is brilliant. It's easy to read, it's got the punch, and great visuals. If you put a short essay with each cartoon to explain the underlying issues, it would make a very effective teaching tool. It could potentially reach a wide audience, as many people won't read investing books because they are boring, overly technical, and dryer than a martini in the Sahara.
Cartoons and various humorous illustrations have always been used in financial books and articles, even dictionaries, and including the classics, A Random Walk Down Wall Street and, of course, Where Are the Customers' Yachts? As you might expect, the cartoons include many from The New Yorker, but also "Doonesbury" and "Garfield." The 1999 dictionary is "The Merriam-Webster and Garfield Dictionary" and the comic's creator Jim Davis writes in an intro, "Something about putting a visual with the words cuts through the muck allowing the cognitive process to kick in!" ..."The use of humor is not only a pleasurable way to learn, but also a most effective way."

As for a "short essay" with each cartoon to explain it, Adams has annotated some of his book collections of comics to explain each strip on all subjects. Sometimes the annotations are needed, but even when not they are almost as funny as the comic.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
scone

Post by scone »

Fallible wrote:
Cartoons and various humorous illustrations have always been used in financial books and articles, even dictionaries, and including the classics, A Random Walk Down Wall Street and, of course, Where Are the Customers' Yachts? As you might expect, the cartoons include many from The New Yorker, but also "Doonesbury" and "Garfield." The 1999 dictionary is "The Merriam-Webster and Garfield Dictionary" and the comic's creator Jim Davis writes in an intro, "Something about putting a visual with the words cuts through the muck allowing the cognitive process to kick in!" ..."The use of humor is not only a pleasurable way to learn, but also a most effective way."

As for a "short essay" with each cartoon to explain it, Adams has annotated some of his book collections of comics to explain each strip on all subjects. Sometimes the annotations are needed, but even when not they are almost as funny as the comic.
I'm aware of these works. What I'm trying to hint about, and maybe I should have been more direct, is that the Bogleheads might be even more successful if they took this kind of pop culture approach, as part of their educational toolkit. The wiki is great, especially if you have a decent education and you are a good English reader. But if you don't have that sort of background, an alternative like I suggested might be more effective for many people; it might broaden the audience.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Rolyatroba

Post by Rolyatroba »

scone wrote:I'm aware of these works. What I'm trying to hint about, and maybe I should have been more direct, is that the Bogleheads might be even more successful if they took this kind of pop culture approach, as part of their educational toolkit. The wiki is great, especially if you have a decent education and you are a good English reader. But if you don't have that sort of background, an alternative like I suggested might be more effective for many people; it might broaden the audience.
I'd agree wholeheartedly. I used to think about proposing some kind of "Boglehead for Dummies" idea, but I like Bogleheads by Dilbert much more.

The wiki is really a place only for the converted; I never send people there to try to convince.
Rolyatroba

Post by Rolyatroba »

Rolyatroba wrote:
scone wrote:I'm aware of these works. What I'm trying to hint about, and maybe I should have been more direct, is that the Bogleheads might be even more successful if they took this kind of pop culture approach, as part of their educational toolkit. The wiki is great, especially if you have a decent education and you are a good English reader. But if you don't have that sort of background, an alternative like I suggested might be more effective for many people; it might broaden the audience.
I'd agree wholeheartedly. I used to think about proposing some kind of "Boglehead for Dummies" idea, but I like Bogleheads by Dilbert much more.
Just as a stab in the dark, I sent an email to Scott Adams wondering if he would be willing to do an investment book as a collaboration with the Bogleheads (I assumed I could rally some official support). He did reply, twice even, but his governing thought was that tacking Dilbert humor to other subject matter has not worked well in the past. He did say he agreed with the mission, however. So, we've got that going for us!
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

tacking Dilbert humor to other subject matter has not worked well in the past
Interesting, but I can see the point, that adding the humor is effective for those already converted, but offensive to those who disagree. For example, I think this is brilliant, insightful, and hilarious:
but the day traders and factor tilters may not see anything funny at all.

l.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

My wife is asking why I am laughing so hard. Second one from lady geek is so hilarious.
Thanks for the thread.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939