What Experts Say About Various Investing Topics

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
fortyofforty

Re: What Experts Say [about various investing topics]

Post by fortyofforty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 am

Absolute gold! Thank you so much, Taylor, and Happy (belated) Birthday! :beer

If you are still interested in research, the latest quotes from Jack Bogle made me think of a "homework" assignment for you: what do the experts say about investing in international stocks? Just an idea. Thanks again for your work for all of us "youngsters"!
Indexing works, not because of magic, but because of math. | Diligentia. Vis. Celeritas. - Jeff Cooper | Original Vanguard Diehard

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 pm

We've created a new wiki article for this thread: What the experts say about investing

The article is linked from the "See also" section of Bogleheads® investment philosophy and Video:Bogleheads® investment philosophy.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks, Taylor! And Happy Birthday! Perhaps when I am 91, I wil have the courtesy to pass on the secrets of a life well lived, as you do.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Taylor Larimore has added another thread, which is updated in Post #1: "What Experts Say About Jack Bogle"

The complete series is in the wiki: What the experts say about investing
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

roundtoit

Re: What Experts Say About Various Investing Topics

Post by roundtoit » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:12 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:06 pm
Bogleheads:

I began investing in 1950 at the age of 26 when the S&P 500 Index was under 20. Today, on my 91st birthday, The S&P 500 Index is over 2,000 (not including dividends).

Nearly everything I know about investing I learned from experience, reading, and listening to experts who know much more than I do. This is my ninety-first birthday gift to you:

What Experts Say About:

Asset-Allocation and Diversification

Jack Bogle

Costs

Indexing

Individual Stocks vs. Mutual Funds

Market-Timing

Past Performance

Simplicity

Stay-the-Course

The Three Fund Portfolio

Total Market Index Funds

You will find more valuable quotes here: Investment Gems

Best wishes.
Taylor
Happy Birthday Taylor!

Btw, I'm new here and I logged on tonight to read more posts and find a post, in a different thread, by you in particular...and to ask about the Bogleheads Guide Books...I saw you were online and without putting 2+2 together, I thought about PMing you, then I realized who you are, the hard working, heroic author himself... haha! :o

Thank you!

Until next time...
roundtoit

[BTW, I found the answer to my question regarding the Bogleheads' Guide book(s). Now...I'm off to pre-order the 2018 release of your new book, The Bogleheads' Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio: How a Simple Portfolio of Three Total Market Index Funds Outperforms Most Investors with Less Risk] :wink: Thanks again!
Last edited by roundtoit on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 pm

roundtoit:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

Best wishes.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 am

Bumping these great compilations of collective investment wisdom as we head into 2020...

Also, a reminder of a few of the many resources available on the Bogleheads® wiki:

What the experts say about investing

Taylor Larimore's Investment Gems
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman