SCIF vs SCIN vs SMIN

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
comeinvest

SCIF vs SCIN vs SMIN

Post by comeinvest »

Can someone please help me analyzing SCIF, SCIN and SMIN?

Although I see relatively many holdings represented in 2 or all 3 of these funds, the funds seem to have very different valuation ratios, where SCIF tends to be small/value tilted with very low valuation ratios (P/E, P/B) in the past one to two years, SMIN small and mid growth with very high valuation ratios, and SCIN somewhere in between. I tried to be smart and invested in SCIF, hoping to get a small value tilt. And yet, SMIN outperformed over most time periods. Did SCIF invest in value traps? Or did "growth" just outperform "value" in Indian small caps during the last 2 years or so? Is it smart to hold on to SCIF in the long run for a small/value tilted emerging market fund, or are the average valuations just a result of different industry weightings or other artifacts?
YDNAL

Re: SCIF vs SCIN vs SMIN

Post by YDNAL »

comeinvest wrote:Can someone please help me analyzing SCIF, SCIN and SMIN?
Look what a difference when letters are transposed.
VDE - Vanguard Energy
EDV - Vanguard Extended Duration Treasury

You need to identify what you want analyzed. Many (most?) Forum participants don't go looking to find out.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
leonidas

Re: SCIF vs SCIN vs SMIN

Post by leonidas »

Looks like country specific funds for Indian small caps. I have no opinion on those but prefer to own a world wide diversified fund.