Hedge fund loses 99.8% of all funds, $100m down to $200k.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Day9

Hedge fund loses 99.8% of all funds, $100m down to $200k.

Post by Day9 »

The manager is "truly sorry".

"[The manager] said in the letter that he made a series of "aggressive transactions" over the last three weeks to make up for poor returns in December. He said he bet on stock price options, predicated on the broader market rising. But stock indexes fell, causing the huge losses"

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102356275

I think there is a lesson here about market timing, risk management, and the validity of the notion that "you get what you pay for" with high price fund managers.
I'm just a fan of the person I got my user name from
PugetSoundguy

Re: Hedge fund loses 99.8% of all funds, $100m down to $200k

Post by PugetSoundguy »

I wonder if the manager got his 2% of the $100 million or $200k? I think I know the answer.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

Wow. How can someone lose that much money? That's insane.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

InvestorNewb wrote:Wow. How can someone lose that much money? That's insane.
"Keep digging deeper! That'll fix it!"
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

"Oops."
WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Classic principal-agent problem.

Manager already had a very bad December. So much so, that his career was likely going to take a very hard hit. It was perfectly rational for the manager to bet it all, double-or-nothing. If he won, he would look like a genius and all would be forgiven. If he was wrong, well he was already in a heap of trouble. Now he's just in a touch bit more trouble.

Who was it that said someone is naturally willing to take more risk with someone else's money than with their own?
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

The lawyers are circling...

They could bet the entire $200,000 on a single number in roulette, win, and they would still be $93,000,000 short.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

In other news, "hedge-fund hotshot made $1B betting on oil": http://nypost.com/2015/01/21/this-hedge ... oil-crash/

If the manager who lost 99.8% of his fund would have guessed correctly, he too would likely be considered a hotshot right now.

This is why I am skeptical of hotshots. It's very hard to know if they have real skill or insight that will persist... or if they just made a lucky guess.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

That is a truly impressive loss. Somebody has to be at the end of the tail, and he's the one.
bpp

Post by bpp »

We'll have to see if he can duplicate this performance before we can determine whether it is luck or skill.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:In other news, "hedge-fund hotshot made $1B betting on oil": http://nypost.com/2015/01/21/this-hedge ... oil-crash/

If the manager who lost 99.8% of his fund would have guessed correctly, he too would likely be considered a hotshot right now.

This is why I am skeptical of hotshots. It's very hard to know if they have real skill or insight that will persist... or if they just made a lucky guess.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... JS57CQQbeE

indeed. Amaranth lost $6.6bn betting natural gas prices would rise.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

toto238 wrote:Classic principal-agent problem.

Manager already had a very bad December. So much so, that his career was likely going to take a very hard hit. It was perfectly rational for the manager to bet it all, double-or-nothing. If he won, he would look like a genius and all would be forgiven. If he was wrong, well he was already in a heap of trouble. Now he's just in a touch bit more trouble.

Who was it that said someone is naturally willing to take more risk with someone else's money than with their own?
Liar's Poker (Salomon, 1980s) and When Genius Failed (LTCM 1990s) have some great examples of this.

You see corporate execs do it to with the 'transformative' big takeover or corporate move.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

bpp wrote:We'll have to see if he can duplicate this performance before we can determine whether it is luck or skill.
There is persistence in bad fund performance. Logically that means good fund performance should also be persistent, but that doesn't seem to be as true.

There really are fund managers who always underperform.

http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/funds/s ... F0GBR04RQG

Manek was a pharmacist who won a Sunday Times stockpicking competition, and has been underperforming basically ever since. An unerring ability to pick companies that are going off the boil (the internet fashion retailer ASOS for example is a major fund holding).
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I always found it interesting that hedge funds were not more regulated based on the theory that their investors were sophisticated and more knowledgeable.

I'm out of the loop as far as hedge funds. How does one even find one to invest in? Do they have internet sites? Do they beat the bushes looking for $10 million investors?
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

Check out the comments to the original article. They're hilarious and made my day
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
choices

Post by choices »

Chill, guys! He said he was sorry. I mean it coulda happened to any of us if someone was silly enough to entrust us with all that money, right?
camden

Post by camden »

Every time one of these hedge fund stories comes out, it reinforces my sense of astonishment that anyone invests their money in them.
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

choices wrote:Chill, guys! He said he was sorry. I mean it coulda happened to any of us if someone was silly enough to entrust us with all that money, right?
: ) My investments would have returned 15% last year with very little risk and all for a low low fee of 1% over ER.

A very informative filing here:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... ry_doc.xml
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
BabylonOrBust

Post by BabylonOrBust »

Thinking they could find Alpha, they found Omega.

I'm finding myself unable to have sympathy for anyone involved...
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I, personally, do not blame the hedge fund manager. He did what was best for him. He runs a hedge fund so don't think there is a prudent man's rule or fudiciary standard like for a RIA. The bigger issue, in general, is investors not understanding you have to find what Mr. Swensen made famous for describing as "Alignment of Interest", i.e. tugging on the same side of the rope.

The basic concept is any situation where the manager makes money no matter what (limited downside risk) and you only make money when it does well with unlimited risk (going broke) you have a serious problem with alignment of interest.

In the end this is why in the late Harry Browne often would say one should keep as few as people from your money and you as possible.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

camden wrote:Every time one of these hedge fund stories comes out, it reinforces my sense of astonishment that anyone invests their money in them.

What about these kinds of stories:
zaboomafoozarg wrote:In other news, "hedge-fund hotshot made $1B betting on oil": http://nypost.com/2015/01/21/this-hedge ... oil-crash/
WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

It's possible people could have been invested without knowing it, hedge funds typically have pretty high minimum investments and the people that can meet them tend not to manage their own money. More than one person's job is probably going to be impacted by this loss.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

why would anyone trust their money with the former trader at Raj Rajaratnam's company?
May be they were aware to the risk and aiming too high.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

staythecourse wrote:

I, personally, do not blame the hedge fund manager. He did what was best for him. He runs a hedge fund so don't think there is a prudent man's rule or fudiciary standard like for a RIA. The bigger issue, in general, is investors not understanding you have to find what Mr. Swensen made famous for describing as "Alignment of Interest", i.e. tugging on the same side of the rope.

The basic concept is any situation where the manager makes money no matter what (limited downside risk) and you only make money when it does well with unlimited risk (going broke) you have a serious problem with alignment of interest.

In the end this is why in the late Harry Browne often would say one should keep as few as people from your money and you as possible.

Good luck.
Yeah honestly the manager acted in his own rational self-interest. From his perspective, nothing he did was unreasonable. Immoral? Sure. But not irrational. He followed his self-interest to the letter.

Makes you kinda worried about those that advocate for a society run 100% on nothing but self-interest.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

>why would anyone trust their money with the former trader at Raj Rajaratnam's company?

Apparently he was not implicated in the insider trading.

So at least he lost the money honestly?
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

parsi1 wrote:why would anyone trust their money with the former trader at Raj Rajaratnam's company?
May be they were aware to the risk and aiming too high.
Right, it is likely that the whole lot were rotten and operating on the edge (or beyond) of ethics and law. Should not be too shocking that this fund went bust also.
70% Global Stocks / 30% Bonds
clast

Post by clast »

Someone send him a copy of The Boglehead's Guide to Investing
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

Reminds me of when a roommate gave me $20 to gamble in Las Vegas (1994 - I was driving through on a ski trip and was showing a Brazilian the sights of the West). He said, "Go make me some money." I said, "You are really giving me money to gamble?" So, I went to a table (I don't remember which game as I hate gambling and Las Vegas) and won $5 so I was up to $30. Then I gambled $10 three times and lost all the money.

Back home my roommate eagerly waited for me to see how rich he had become. I said I lost all your money (I was not sorry like the hedge fund manager)....and he was actually a little bit mad at me!!!