Poll: How long have you been with your current AA?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

How long has it been since you've changed any of your asset allocation targets?

1 Day
4%
< 1 Year
21%
1-2 Years
19%
2-3 Years
11%
3-5 Years
13%
5-10 Years
22%
10+ Years
9%

Total votes: 144

stlutz

Poll: How long have you been with your current AA?

Post by stlutz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 am

So, the dust up over Rick Ferri changing to a more balanced US/Global portfolio provoked a question of how long we all *really* have stuck with our particular asset allocations.

How long has it been since you've actually made a change to your targets? (Obviously, your actual allocation changes every day due to market changes--this question about what you are aiming toward). Maybe bumped up your smallcap value? Maybe added more corporate or muni bond exposure? Maybe added to your international exposure? Or maybe life circumstances changed and you altered your overall stock/bond split? Obviously use the discussion to explain further. More broadly, this will hopefully lead to some further consideration of what "stay the course" really means.

Rodc

Re: Poll: How long have you been with your current AA?

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:03 pm

A little hard to answer.

If you made a 1% change last year do you answer 1 year?

If you are using age in bonds for the last 10 years, do you answer 1 year or 10?

I had Vanguard REIT in a brokerage account in my 401K, but then Fidelity made a REIT index fund I would get for free so I switched. Is that a change or not?

I had developed international and emerging in two funds, but then my 401K included the Vanguard total international fund and I switched to that. Is that a change.

I was 70/30 for some years and decided due to changing personal circumstances I should move to 60/40; pretty much just an increase in bonds and an across the board decrease in stocks, so I more or less kept 90% the same and swapped out 10% stock/bonds for bonds. Is that a significant change, especially given it was in the plan for some years?

So for me either 1 year or 10. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:10 pm

If you are using age in bonds for the last 10 years, do you answer 1 year or 10?
For the purposes of this poll, I would say "10", provided that your judgment as to the correct allocation did not change over that period--i.e. you made no decisions over that 10 year period except to execute on the original plan.
I had Vanguard REIT in a brokerage account in my 401K, but then Fidelity made a REIT index fund I would get for free so I switched. Is that a change or not?
If you didn't change your REIT allocation, then this is not a change.
I had developed international and emerging in two funds, but then my 401K included the Vanguard total international fund and I switched to that. Is that a change.
If you were targeting market weight with the split before, then this is not a change. If you were over-weighting one or the other and switched to market weight, this would be a change.
I was 70/30 for some years and decided due to changing personal circumstances I should move to 60/40; pretty much just an increase in bonds and an across the board decrease in stocks, so I more or less kept 90% the same and swapped out 10% stock/bonds for bonds. Is that a significant change, especially given it was in the plan for some years?
Yes, this would be one of the types of changes I'm after, since you "decided" due to personal circumstances to make a change.

What I am after is how often "decision points" for personal allocation changes come up and are acted on.

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 pm

My needs have changed and my portfolio has grown much faster than I anticipated, although the way I'm calculating my asset allocation has changed as well. I've "taken some money off the table" and decreased my equity allocation from 50% to 40% in the total portfolio. However, I have gradually been switching over to a life-cycle philosophy and have removed the Liability Matching Portfolio from my calculation of the total portfolio asset allocation. The "Risk Portfolio" remaining has a 60/40 split for investment purposes.

I sounds more complicated than it is. It took me a few more readings of Bill Bernstein's books (again), a review of the wiki's synopsis on life-cycle philosophy, and then research on my own to finally have the "aha" moment.

longinvest

Post by longinvest » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:32 pm

I changed my asset allocation a little over one year ago due to having acquired new knowledge (I used to know nothing about bonds and bond funds, so I didn't invest in them). I waited for a period of almost 6 months before making the change, just to make sure it wasn't due to an emotional reaction. I discussed the change with Bogleheads before going ahead and triggering it.

It was emotionally difficult for me to trigger the change, as I fundamentally believe that it is much more important to stick to one's asset allocation (fixed or sliding) than to choose the "right" allocation.
Last edited by longinvest on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bogleheads investment philosophy | Lifelong Portfolio: 25% each of (domestic/international)stocks/(nominal/inflation-indexed)bonds | VCN/VXC/VLB/ZRR

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:33 pm

I have always been very conservative with my investments, therefore my answer is about 25 years or "10 + years" .
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:02 pm

We changed from about 90/10 to the "prime" asset allocation in mid-2007 when I semi-retired:
viewtopic.php?p=1103925#p1103925 with 31% US, 31% Foreign, 31% bonds, and 7% TREA

Then we reduced equities by 4% in late 2012 when we had no need to take more risk, so 29% US, 29% foreign, 31% bonds, 5% short-term bonds, and 7% TREA. Total equities seem to bounce around 58% to 62%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:08 pm

cerca 20 years.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:14 pm

I found this board and reset my portfolio after doing tax loss harvesting in 2008/2009 and decided that 55/45 was the right stock/bond allocation for me. That's been constant within a few percentage points so that's 6-7 years.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:20 pm

obgyn65 wrote:I have always been very conservative with my investments, therefore my answer is about 25 years or "10 + years" .
+1 I adhere to Larry's wisdom, "If you don't need the risk, don't take it".

LynnC

red5

Post by red5 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Not sure what kind of information you intend to glean from this. For those who have only been investing for a year or two then all they can answer is a year or two. For those who have been investing for a long long time but changed their AA a couple years ago then they will answer the same.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Age 22 (1977) started investing at 100:0......kept for 23 years
Age 45 (2000) changed to 90:10.......kept for 8 years.
Age 53 (2008) changed to 60:40.......maintained it for 8 years....plan on staying with it during retirement.

I made a shift to 10% bonds in Jan 2000, because I knew I needed to gradually start shifting to some bonds.

In 2008, I no longer had the need to take the risk of a 90:10 portfolio, so I went to 60:40. This was a result of asking myself each year Larry Swedroe's 3 questions.....1) do you have the ability to take risk, the willingness to take risk, and the need to take risk.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:22 pm

I retired in 2007 and have held my allocation since then. 50/50

Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Effectively, I change my asset allocation every quarter. I am doing Value Averaging with quarterly reviews. If stocks are up more than my assumed rate of return, my need to take risk has gone down, and I move from equity to bonds.

The interaction of the VA path, my savings rate, and market returns has driven my equity allocation from 90% to 62% over the last four years. Prior to that (before VA), I held 90% +/-5% equity for 15 years. (Age 36 to 51). I am very much in tune with Bill Bernstein's advice to hustle to take risk off the table when one has "won the game" as I have pulled back 7% per year.

I have held 70% US/30% International equity for probably 20 years.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:12 pm

I upped my international allocation for essentially the same reasons as Rick. I increased my international allocation from fifty percent of equities to sixty percent of equities in a 60/40 equity/fixed income portfolio. I did this even though I am seventy-one. I do believe, based on over thirty years of investing, that I have a high risk tolerance. I also believe that my entire fixed income being in treasuries (TIPS and G Fund) provides a buffer for any long-term bear market.
Gordon

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:19 pm

I've roughly maintained a 30/70 stock/fixed-income target and a 60/40 US/international stock target since I retired in 2007.

However, I did not fully rebalance back to target during 2008/2009, and at the time I didn't have any set rebalancing bands, so I guess you could say my targets changed a bit then. Actually, the post that was submitted while writing this reminded me that I was value averaging from cash (much of it from sales of real estate) into stocks and bonds when the financial crisis hit, so it is more accurate to say that I didn't keep up with my VA path, but I did keep buying stocks and investment-grade bonds as they dropped in value, and then at some point stabilized at 30/70 stock/fixed.

I added some small-cap international (VSS) when it seemed cheap between August and October of 2011, but it's only 5% of my international, so as a percent of portfolio, it's less than noise. I would have added more if the price kept going down.

My policy now is to allow stocks to drift to as low as 25% of portfolio if I get there by selling stocks. If the market takes me to 25% stocks, I may add to stocks.

Over about the last four years I've moved about 70% of my fixed income into direct CDs. I don't have specific targets for CDs and bond funds; the lower rates go, the more CDs I'll own. If rates increase enough, and CD rates aren't as competitive as now, I will shift some back to bond funds.

My only specific bond-fund policy at this point is to rebalance back to target in my long-term investment-grade fund if/when SEC yield hits 5%; it currently is a little under 4% (it hit 5% briefly awhile back, but by the time I noticed it had dropped below it). I am kind of mentally anchored on 5% for fixed income, so I probably will move more into intermediate-term bond funds if/when those yields hit 5% (or the taxable equivalent for muni funds). Also, if a deal like the PenFed 5-year 3% CD came along again soon, I probably would sell some tax-exempt bond fund shares to buy some of it.

I recently changed my rebalancing bands for my REIT fund from +25%/-10% to +15%/-20%, as documented here: Bogleheads • View topic - Rebalancing Band for an asset class based on volatility, but I did not change my target allocation.

I voted "3-5 years", kind of as a compromise between no strict policy change at high level for maybe 7 years, with some tweaks at lower levels in more recent years.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:23 pm

In 2008 switched from 65/35 stocks/bonds to 50/50.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Only 2 years since I wrote my current IPS.

For the 7 years or so prior to that I was mostly in target retirement funds along with some random funds and individual stocks. I was mostly in index funds but really had no coherent strategy.

I changed things because I read books and learned that I needed one.

Prior to that I didn't invest.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:38 pm

After having a 60/40 AA for about 10 years I changed it to 50/50 in July. At age 70 I need to reduce risk and add simplicity.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

timboktoo

Post by timboktoo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:42 pm

I am surprised to say it's only been since April of 2013. I thought it had been longer than that.

- Tim

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Based on the feedback above: 2 years.

I do a re-eval every January to see if any changes are warranted (better funds come available in my 401K primarily). A major job change could trigger a change in risk tolerance for example. But also over time getting ever closer to retirement might trigger a desire to reduce stock allocation.

That said I have made very few changes since I started in 1991. I think I could count them on one hand and none were extreme.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:51 pm

1 year.

Change from 65/35 to 64/36. At the same time, increase small value allocation (DFSVX) from 7% to 8%. Implementing Larry's idea. Before this change 3 years.

KlangFool

siamond

Post by siamond » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Less than as a year, as I did some minor tweaking (e.g. reconsidered tilts like US Large Value and very recently, Int'l Value) as I learned more and gained more experience. Seems to me that one shouldn't necessarily be overly stubborn as the true key is to be fully convinced in your bones by what you do, so if you learn and figure out that your early stab at things isn't quite satisfying any more, some careful tweaking is beneficial, if only from the all-important psychological perspective. I didn't change anything to the top-level primary decisions I made since I switched to passive investing though.

I find it useful in my IPS to have 'hard' decisions and 'soft' decisions. I would be loathe to change the 'hard' decisions, but the 'soft' decisions can much more easily be influenced by more learning.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:43 pm

I'm on a glidepath.

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:18 pm

As I glide (soar?) towards retirement, I increased the bond allocation target by 1 percentage point on January 1st.
Regards, | | Guy

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:21 pm

November 2010 at age 55.....started buying bond funds for the first time.....now at 65/35.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone for participating!

I was basically assuming that the overwhelming majority of posters here either do or intend to "stay the course" with their overall strategy over time. However, I was kind of curious to what extent that meant that people never make changes. It seems like we have two main groups--those who make at least a tweak every year or two and those who make a change every 5-10 years.

In the Rick Ferri/international allocation thread that I mentioned (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154400), tibbits commented:
... everything on this and its predecessor forum has been about staying the course and not making changes based on indicators, or feelings or... anything other than personal circumstances (age in bonds, etc.) There's been a gradual shift in the forum in recent years to be much more accepting of tweaking portfolios than in the early days, when simplicity was the overriding message.
In my poll question, I didn't probe into the why of making changes because I think personal circumstances and market "indicators" often coincide. For example, someone with a domestic-stock heavy portfolio is a lot richer now than he was 5 years ago. Is deciding to dial back the equity allocation then a change due to personal circumstances (less need to take risk) or is it a "market timing" move (PE 10 is too high)? Anyone can justify one way or the other, but it either case I would view the change as being a reasonable one to make.

I personally don't think there has been an increase in "tweaking" of portfolios over the 8 or so years since I first started lurking here. For example, back in the winter of 08-09, is was a on Bogleheads that I learned that TIPS were temporarily a screaming buy relative to nominal bonds.

Not sure if others have other comments on the results--I was just curious if I was an outlier or not (I voted for between 1 and 2 years ago, BTW).

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Excellent question, stlutz. Besides, when, the what is also interesting. The question forced me to go back and look. The revisions have been more numerous and more frequent than I'd like to admit, though all but the risk profile shifts have been minor. The last revision was a month short of 4 years ago, so I picked "3-5 years."

Here's a recap:

— embraced index funds, but not with 100% of the portfolio.

2007 to June 2008 Adopted my current AA. See here: What's YOUR portfolio
— transitioned to 100% passive portfolio;
— stepped up to 30% fixed income (fortuitously, finished the more conservative AA shift prior to the Great Recession);
— consolidated all individual accounts at Vanguard

March 2010
— roughly 7 years out from earliest envisioned retirement date, formally adopted an 8 year glide path inspired by Swensen: maintain a 70/30 "risky portfolio" but shift towards holding 20% of all retirement funds in "risk-free" assets by retirement. (So 80% in a 70/30 portfolio will produce a 56% overall equity allocation, to remain static from then on.)
— simultaneously bumped up "risky portfolio" allocations for small cap international and emerging markets from 5% to 6% each (living on the edge...)

February 2011
— a few months after the inception of VNQI, split a 10% "risky portfolio" REIT allocation 50/50 with the new international real estate fund (5% VGSNX, 5% VNQI)
— dropped a 5% allocation to unhedged international bonds (as much to avoid having three crappy ETFs as to maintain my overall foreign currency exposure)

Whew! No changes in the last 4 years.

Again, great question.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 pm

^ This also made me start thinking as well, as I went to the beginning of my Quicken program to the 1990s. When I discovered the Diehards on Morningstar and later finished reading Swenson's book, I ultimately settled on a 60/40 split. That was a little more than 10 years ago and I was in my mid-40s. Before that, it was almost all equities and attempted market timing for about 20 years. I was merely lucky in that there was a run up in the 1980s and 1990s, and I liquidated stocks in favor of all index funds around 2000; I could've just as easily been crushed because I just didn't know what I was doing.

Because of the Bogleheads, once I set my asset allocation, I kept it steady through the financial meltdown in 2008-2009, but then gradually scaled back to 50/50 with new money as I aged. As I noted above, I'm now 40/60 with a life-cycle philosophy learned here.

It's because of aging, the Bogleheads, and the bull market that I've been able to start scaling back and require much less risk in terms investing.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:51 pm

in the winter of 08-09, is was a on Bogleheads that I learned that TIPS were temporarily a screaming buy relative to nominal bonds.
My one and only market timing move.

Agree with your thought about convergence of honest change in circumstance and market timing. If the market goes from PE10 of 8 to PE10 of 38, a whole lot of people will have enough money to dial back risk and a whole lot of PE10 market timers will too. Hard to sort that out.

Robert T

Post by Robert T » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:54 pm

12 years

75:25 stock:bond
Within stocks: 50:37:13 US:Developed-ex US:EM; with small cap and value tilt (1.0, 0.2, 0.4 beta, size and value load targets)
Within bonds: 100% US treasuries (0.0, 0.5 default, and term load targets)

Long-term expected (targeted) return = 7.5%
Achieved over last 12 years = just over 10%

Robert

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 pm

My allocation after retiring was to change as I aged (100 minus my age invested in stocks). That was my allocation model, so I voted 10+ years
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

wjo

Post by wjo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:13 pm

I am in the middle of changing, but only due to the combination of a windfall and the gains of the past few years putting me within sight of "my number." Given current contribution rates and conservative assumptions, I should be in good shape for retirement which is still 15+ years away.

Mostly I am in the middle of moving from 70:30 to 60:40 but otherwise keeping my stock asset class exposure the same. So, while changing, I am not chasing performance or otherwise following a fad.

I suspect many of those changing in the last year or so may be because they are taking money off the table. It would be interest to run a poll just about those de risking due to 5 years of stock run up.

AndroAsc

Post by AndroAsc » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:13 pm

Technically, my asset allocation has changed slightly over the years, but that's because of the limitations of the instruments in the past. Also, there are considerations such as insufficient IRA space!!!

For example, I've always wanted international bond, and when Vanguard launched their international bond, I incorporated into my AA.

Another example, is that I want a 50/50 split between domestic vs international REITs. 5 years ago, when I started there was no international REITs, now there is.

Will there be future changes? Yes, definitely. I'm still looking for a good international small-value fund. I'm not rich enough for DFA, so I use VSS for now, just small cap, but no value. I'm also interesting in momentum-tilting my stock portfolio, but again I'm not rich enough for AQR. :(

For the record, here's my ideal portfolio for 80/20 stock/bond split:

Stocks
22.5% US Total Market
5% US Small-Value Tilt
5% US Momentum-Tilt
5% US REITs
22.5% ex-US Total Market
5% ex-US Small-Value Tilt
5% ex-US Momentum-Tilt
5% ex-US REITs
5% commodity
Bonds
10% US Total Bond
5% US Inflation-linked Bond
5% International Bond

In practice, here's my asset allocation:
Stocks
22.5% US Total Market
7.5% US Small-Value Tilt
7.5% US REITs
25% ex-US Total Market
10% ex-US Small Cap Tilt
2.5% ex-US REITs
5% commodity
Bonds
10% US Total Bond
5% US Inflation-linked Bond
5% International Bond

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:23 pm

Less than 6 months, we consolidated some Fidelity accounts moving them to Vanguard. Stock to bond ratio has remained the same but many funds are different. Total expense ratio went from .26% to .18% as a result of having access to Vanguard funds. We are indexed in our taxable accounts with some active management in IRAs.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 pm

10 years :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DFrank

Post by DFrank » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:23 pm

I am about 18 months from retirement, and as of about 2 years ago needed only to make my planned savings each year to reach our "number." As a result, I've been shifting towards a less risky AA as we approach retirement.
Dave

sls239

Post by sls239 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:21 pm

I'm in the camp that changed due to less perceived need to take risk. But it was an ad-hoc decision, not the result of a predetermined trigger event.

I feel like I need some sort of policy going forward - but the thought of planing out the entire rest of my investing life, up to and past retirement - is daunting and I doubt the value of it.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:33 pm

About a year or so prior to retirement in 2012 I "glided" from about a 60/40 to a desired AA of 45/55 in retirement. It snuck up to a little over 50/50 by the end of lack year due to the market and Roth conversion maneuvers. We funded 529 plans (from our equity mutual fund portfolio)for our grandchildren on January 2, 2015. I suspect that by the end of the day today (1-5-2015) I will be back within a couple percentage points. I will not have to rebalance because I expect to be within my "bands".

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:48 pm

I am 100% index as of today. Dumped the remaining 3% actively managed REIT in favor of IPS.

I was 25% actively managed last winter until Bogleheads.org convinced me to develop an IPS and reconsider active management. Traded that 20% international in for 30% Spartan international and held onto 5% REIT for no good reason.

My IPS says to use Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 as benchmark as my employer IRA is with Fidelity so I copy using Spartan Funds and semi-annual rebalancing led me to dump the REIT balance.

grap0013

Post by grap0013 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:35 pm

100% equities for 8 years and maximum SCV tilts for 4.5 years.

I'm in serious deliberation about adding 10 to 20% of the AQR style premium fund though: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=151111&newpost=2275286&start=50 Adding this would put the kibosh on both of these streaks. :annoyed
There are no guarantees, only probabilities.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:39 am

retired in 2008 - which was a wake up call as far as investments. My equity vs fixed income has stayed the same but fixed income has branched out from Total Bond and TIPS to other bond funds and CDs. @o 6 years for equities about 2 years for fixed income.

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 am

1 day as of yesterday - moved per plan to 50/50 as I'm >3 years from retirement. Plan now is to keep an AA of 50/50 from here on out, but have a plan to review again in 6 years (3 years after retirement).

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:13 pm

About a year and a half ago, I was offered a buyout package and took it. I was 60 y/o. I adjusted my asset allocation to about 40/60 stock/bonds. I had more stock before that, but the retirement thing came up unexpectedly. I'm getting a non-COLAed pension and working part-time as a daily-hire at my old job.

Steve
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Balancing risk since 2011.