Another silly anti-index article

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
BogleMe

Another silly anti-index article

Post by BogleMe »

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/troubl ... lcountdown

General theme is that active funds better protect capital in downturns. Of course downside protection is not the role for the equity side of your portfolio. This is about as intellectual as the active side can get...it is a pretty weak defense of paying, in perpetuity, 1-2% for idle cash that many times approaches 20% or more of a funds holdings.
Last edited by BogleMe on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
cfs

Re: Another silly anti index article

Post by cfs »

Great !!!

Market veteran gives stockpickers the edge in a downturn

Yeah, right, that's why they did so great during the 2008 financial markets debacle.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Classic XKCD:

Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Brilliant cartoon Nisiprius. Is it repostable?
Taylor Larimore

The Bear Market Myth

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

This article continues the MYTH that the average actively-managed fund outperforms in bear markets. The facts are opposite.

For more than 10 years the S&P Indices Versus Active studies (SPIVA®) have been
measuring the performance of actively managed funds against their relevant S&P index benchmarks. This is their conclusion:
Bear markets should generally favor active managers. Instead of being 100% invested in a market that is turning south, active managers would have the opportunity to move to cash, or seek more defensive positions. Unfortunately, that opportunity does not often translate to reality. In the two true bear markets the SPIVA Scorecard has tracked over the last decade, most active equity managers failed to beat their benchmarks.
S&P INDICES VERSUS ACTIVE FUNDS (SPIVA) SCORECARD

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
ANC

Post by ANC »

BogleMe wrote:http://www.marketwatch.com/story/troubl ... lcountdown

General theme is that active funds better protect capital in downturns. Of course downside protection is not the role for the equity side of your portfolio. This is about as intellectual as the active side can get...it is a pretty weak defense of paying, in perpetuity, 1-2% for idle cash that many times approaches 20% or more of a funds holdings.
I would have to disagree with this. It just makes common sense to reduce the risk on the riskiest part of your portfolio.
cfs wrote:Great !!!

Yeah, right, that's why they did so great during the 2008 financial markets debacle.
I actually own three funds, two active and one passive, that trade along these lines of reducing downside risk. Their 2008 records:

VFIAX -36.97%
PRWCX -27.17%
NSEIX -23.59%
BRLIX -33.30%

Over 10 and 15 years, the two active funds are ahead and the passive slightly behind (NSEIX/BRLIX results are probably affected somewhat by midcap/megacap tilts).
lack_ey

Post by lack_ey »

Active fund downside risk depends on the manager's style, types of holdings, and so on. I don't think we should lump all active management together when discussing certain attributes of performance.

And who seriously proposes that equity index funds are necessarily safer? (safer than many active managerial styles, sure, but carrying the market and factor risks of the index tracked) A passive investor's downside protection comes from reducing predictable amounts of market exposure through strategic asset allocation that includes safer securities.
yoasif

Post by yoasif »

nisiprius wrote:Image
Pizzasteve510 wrote:Brilliant cartoon Nisiprius. Is it repostable?
yeah, mostly.
zrzhu111

Index funds suffer greater losses in a market decline?

Post by zrzhu111 »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Just read this article on marketwatch.com. I don't quite understand it. What do you think?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/troubl ... eid=yhoof2
jebmke

Re: Index funds suffer greater losses in a market decline?

Post by jebmke »

I skimmed the article and didn't spot any empirical data supporting his hypothesis. Did you?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

There is quite the debate going on in the comments section of that article. Let's just say that nobody is changing the other side's mind.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Seems to be the same junk they've peddled before. Why do you read this stuff? It is 100% baloney.

1) Active funds keep more cash so they lose less money during bear markets. True but irrelevant. You invest for the long term and you can't predict bear markets, so this has no practical meaning.

2) Index funds are market-cap weighted but investors are better off tilting to small-cap funds. Kind of true -- the "but" makes it wrong though. The best way to tilt to small-cap is with index funds. This is a stupid canard.

3) Index fund owners engage in panic-selling, whereas active managers are smarter than that. Some truth to this statement but completely wrong regarding the implication. We know that many index fund owners buy and sell at the wrong time. They buy the right product but they don't know how to do it right. They buy high when everything looks rosy and then they cash out at the trough because they are sickened by the experience. Professional money managers don't make this mistake so much. Instead, they make other mistakes. But the advice is 100% idiotic, self-serving and harmful. If this were a regulated profession the author should be sued for malpractice. If you have a patient whose disease is panic selling, the remedy is not getting them to shift from index to managed funds; it is getting them educated about the markets and their own tolerance for risk, and then adjusting their index fund holdings so they don't engage in panic selling. As far as I know there is no evidence whatsoever that owners of index funds engage in panic selling more often than owners of actively managed funds. So the argument is specious.

Don't read this newsletter!
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Are you surprised that being 100% in the market during a downturn may mean greater loss than being less than 100% exposed to the market? The usual useless jibberish, IMO.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

There you go, the new slogan:

"We don't gain more, but we lose less."

It's quite possible. Underperforming (gaining less) on the upside may mean underperforming (losing less) on the downside. That, for example, is what DCA predictably does. Edit: Cash drags both ways.

L.
Last edited by Leeraar on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Actively-managed funds suffer greater losses in a market rise.

My spouse's 401(k) plan has the Madoff option where the advisor gets to manage any assets put in this option. It is down about 10% for 2014 despite the S&P 500 being up about 15%.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Leeraar wrote:There you go, the new slogan:

"We don't gain more, but we lose less."

It's quite possible. Underperforming (gaining less) on the upside may mean underperforming (losing less) on the downside. That, for example, is what DCA predictably does.

L.
I don't see the logic. They gain less on the way up because they pick winners inaccurately and have high fees. On the way down they are still picking the wrong stocks and still have higher fees, but they get a little boost by holding higher cash reserves, which does lower losses compared to being fully invested. But there's no mathematical way that benefit can offset the negatives, any more than trying to drive a car with three wheels will work any better if you have a good muffler.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

I didn't say it's a good argument. :happy

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
tfb

Post by tfb »

Duplicate thread. See viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154198
Harry Sit has left the forums.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged zrzhu111's thread into here.

Also, nisiprius is using inline linking (the browser is displaying the image directly from the website), which constitutes fair use of copyright. Linking to Copyrighted Materials

For completeness, the image is from xkcd.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jeff7

Post by Jeff7 »

Pizzasteve510 wrote:Brilliant cartoon Nisiprius. Is it repostable?
Original site link.
For those new to XKCD, hover your cursor over the image. Alt-text pops up as a sort of secondary caption.

The page itself gives instructions for linking and embedding the image.

cfs wrote:Great !!!

James Stack, a widely respected investment newsletter editor and money manager...
He knows how to navigate severe downturns, and yet he's still just a newsletter editor and "money manager?" (I manage money too, though it's mainly my own. Can I get similar billing?) If he was around for the dot-com bust and the 2009 recession, he should own at least one superyacht by now.

While active managers will sell stock on the way down, the sense of security engendered by index funds may lead shareholders to wait longer to sell, prolonging the decline.
Buy and hold. So yes, they probably will wait longer to sell.
Prolonging the decline? If it's passive indexing, shouldn't it inherently have little effect on the duration of a downturn?
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Maybe an active manager gets lucky and shields their investors from the next market crash before it happens, but are they going to get lucky AGAIN and re-enter the market at the lowest point? That's where I'm doubtful :oops:
WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Median Joe

Post by Median Joe »

Rest of the article doesn't make much sense but this argument needs to be addressed.
Also, with index funds accounting for so much of new investment, how soon will it be before they become so dominant that effectively no one is setting prices for stocks beyond a minority of active managers, day traders, computer algorithms and investment bank proprietary trading desks? That could mean prices being determined even more by momentum and less by intrinsic value based on economic and corporate fundamentals.
I guess counter argument is: If/when index funds become dominant, opportunity for some sort of arbitrage will come up and market forces will determine the balance.
Topic Author
BogleMe

Post by BogleMe »

Yes, Bernstein thinks it will shake out about 50/50 active/passive.
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

I subscribe to James Stack's newsletter, and saw his anti-index item about 2 weeks ago - and agreed with him, of course. He's a pretty conservative guy overall, about 80% invested and giving the bull market "the benefit of the doubt." You'd be unwise to bet against him.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

ANC wrote: I actually own three funds, two active and one passive, that trade along these lines of reducing downside risk. Their 2008 records:

VFIAX -36.97%
PRWCX -27.17%
NSEIX -23.59%
BRLIX -33.30%

Over 10 and 15 years, the two active funds are ahead and the passive slightly behind (NSEIX/BRLIX results are probably affected somewhat by midcap/megacap tilts).
I used to buy track records. Never could figure out how to buy them retroactive to when they started. :confused
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

The title of the article, "How index funds misleads investors" provided enough info for me.

Although I do think Stack, who provides comprehensive historical information, gave interesting insight to money flows into index funds.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
subham

is there any truth in this?

Post by subham »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

How index funds mislead investors

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/troubl ... 2014-12-30
DualIncomeNoDebt

Re: is there any truth in this?

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

in_reality

Post by in_reality »

I'll go out on a limb here and say in a way the article is true and informative for a certain type of investor.

For us, we set our AA and have bonds to limit losses.

Some investors use mutli-asset funds though. American Funds is a prime example. In that case, just switching to index funds is not the solution.

Of course active isn't the solution either. So really the article should be titled "index funds need bonds" or something along those lines, and then properly explain about setting an AA.
selters

Post by selters »

The argument that active funds reduce losses in down markets has been debunked many times and is obviously silly. But the point about the market behaving differently in the future because of more and more assets being held by index investors and etfs is plausible. 50 years ago the stock market was the sum of many stock pickers. In the future the stock market will act like many holders of indices and a few stock pickers and computer traders. I don't know how that will affect the market, but I'm sure it will affect it somehow. Maybe in the future we will see even greater herd like behavior than before.
Last edited by selters on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Another silly anti-index article

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged subham's thread into here. I also changed the thread title from "anti index" to "anti-index".
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Post by 555 »

Another silly "Another silly anti-index article" thread.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Since an index fund tracks an index, it is true that "an [index fund] investor will experience all of the losses in the market index."

It is therefore vacuously true that any investor who does not experience all the losses in the market index cannot be indexing.

Corollary: all funds that do not experience all of the losses in the market index must be actively managed funds.

But of course, the inverse is not true. All funds that protect capital in a downturn better than index funds are active funds, but not all active funds better protect capital in a downturn.

For example, this one didn't:

Source: Morningstar

So it's the same old problem. How do you know which active funds will?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Obviously, it's easy to tell which active funds that will provide protection in downturns. Just use the ones that say they will. For example, this 2007 JPMorgan Chase document says
For instance, we developed a series of target date funds with a focus on downside protection, to address the fact that overly aggressive allocations may negatively affect participants who retire during unfavorable markets or have less than ideal investing habits. Our target date funds include alternative asset classes, which seek to provide the additional diversification that captures alpha and helps reduce risk.
Here, then, is the comparative performance of JPMorgan SmartRetirement 2040, SMTIX, and Vanguard Target Retirement 2040, VFORX.

You can decide whether a fall to $6,134, instead of $6,238, can be considered "downside protection."

Source: Morningstar

rakaye47

Post by rakaye47 »

actually the JP Morgan actively managed fund in my 401k has been doing pretty well, beating the S&P

ticker is JGACX - JPMorgan Growth Advantage Fund Class C
Pizzasteve510

Post by Pizzasteve510 »

Removed by OP
Last edited by Pizzasteve510 on Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

nisiprius wrote:Corollary: all funds that do not experience all of the losses in the market index must be actively managed funds.
But of course, the inverse is not true. All funds that protect capital in a downturn better than index funds are active funds, but not all active funds better protect capital in a downturn.
For example, this one didn't: graph of LMVTX
LMVTX - Legg Mason ClearBridge Value C fund is still in business. ER 1.76%, 12b1 fee .95, back end load of .95%, turnover 40%.
10-yr return 1.89% vs. Vg Total Stock of 8.08%, according to the internet.
HOW do these funds STAY IN BUSINESS?? Who buys them?
subham

Post by subham »

Index funds can also suffer from their emphasis on momentum over value. Benchmark indexes tend to be capitalization weighted; the highest allocations go to the market’s largest companies. As investors make big stocks, such as Apple AAPL, -0.18% and Google GOOG, -0.30% , bigger, the stocks become bigger parts of indexes, so when investment in index funds rises, even more money goes into those stocks, Stack points out.
This has bothered me a lot as one of the downsides of market weighted index. Is there a proven index that came out winning over market weighted index? Or is there a fundamental flaw in this reasoning?
toto238

Post by toto238 »

Miriam2 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Corollary: all funds that do not experience all of the losses in the market index must be actively managed funds.
For example, this one didn't: graph of LMVTX
LMVTX - Legg Mason ClearBridge Value C fund is still in business. ER 1.76%, 12b1 fee .95, back end load of .95%, turnover 40%.
10-yr return 1.89% vs. Vg Total Stock of 8.08%, according to the internet.
HOW do these funds STAY IN BUSINESS?? Who buys them?
12b-1 fee of 0.95% explains exactly how they stay in business. If I'm an financial advisor, what do I care if my client's funds grow? I get 0.95% kickback and another 1% on top of that without lifting a finger.
vencat

Post by vencat »

subham wrote:
Index funds can also suffer from their emphasis on momentum over value. Benchmark indexes tend to be capitalization weighted; the highest allocations go to the market’s largest companies. As investors make big stocks, such as Apple AAPL, -0.18% and Google GOOG, -0.30% , bigger, the stocks become bigger parts of indexes, so when investment in index funds rises, even more money goes into those stocks, Stack points out.
This has bothered me a lot as one of the downsides of market weighted index. Is there a proven index that came out winning over market weighted index? Or is there a fundamental flaw in this reasoning?
The answer is buried in your question! (I'm referring to the word 'fundamental'). I'm sure, by now, that you are aware of the 2 basic schools of indexing. The popular capweighted, broad index based investing as in the 3 or 4 fund portfolio advocated by John Bogle, perhaps Malkiel, Allan Roth and of course, Taylor Larimore. The other is tilting to small and value based on academic research of Fama and French (complicated recently by introduction of new factors such as momentum and profitability) advocated by many experts such as Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri (almost reluctantly), William Bernstein, Bill Schultheis, Robert T. Fundamental indexes are a variation of this popularized by Arnott.
But, of course, after 110 posts, you already know all this.
subham

Post by subham »

vencat wrote:
subham wrote:
The answer is buried in your question! (I'm referring to the word 'fundamental'). I'm sure, by now, that you are aware of the 2 basic schools of indexing. The popular capweighted, broad index based investing as in the 3 or 4 fund portfolio advocated by John Bogle, perhaps Malkiel, Allan Roth and of course, Taylor Larimore. The other is tilting to small and value based on academic research of Fama and French (complicated recently by introduction of new factors such as momentum and profitability) advocated by many experts such as Larry Swedroe, Rick Ferri (almost reluctantly), William Bernstein, Bill Schultheis, Robert T. Fundamental indexes are a variation of this popularized by Arnott.
But, of course, after 110 posts, you already know all this.
Thanks for bring back the perspective :)

So the issue remains unsettled!
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

vencat wrote:...The other is tilting to small and value based on academic research of Fama and French (complicated recently by introduction of new factors such as momentum and profitability)...
No, no, no. You aren't hip to the factor jive. Fama and French's five-factor model involves "the market factor RM-RF, the size factor SMB, the profitability factor RMW (robust minus weak) and the investment factor CMA (conservative minus aggressive)." They don't recognize momentum, that's somebody else's factor. And they now consider the value factor, HML, "redundant."

(Added: the momentum factor seems to be due to Mark Carhart. The history is summarized by Larry Swedroe).
PeanutButterIsJelly

Post by PeanutButterIsJelly »

nisiprius wrote:
Easy. Just out fox the box. :oops:

I'll take the three fund for the long haul. I'd rather not spend decades wondering when my factor bet was going to pay off or when my stock jockey's streak will end.