What's your current FICO score?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

What's your FICO?

< 500 or N/A
4%
500 - 599
No votes
500 - 599
No votes
600 - 649
1%
700 - 749
15%
750 - 799
32%
800+
48%

Total votes: 100

Topic Author
orthros

What's your current FICO score?

Post by orthros »

There are 3 types of credit scores.

I'm asking specifically about FICO (aka Fair Isaac & Co.) score.

I get mine for free every month by having a Providian Visa, which is a nice Boglehead-friendly way to keep tabs on my credit score. :idea:
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I selected 800 but I really do not know. I am too cheap, or uniterested, to pay Fair Isaac's for the real score, but I own my home, 2 cars, kids no longer live at home, no debt at all, several pensions, never have had any CC debt, sizeable investment both in taxable as well as tax-deferred accounts. 800? Hell, it's probably 900!!! :shock:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
JohnYaker

Didn't Vote

Post by JohnYaker »

Didn't vote. I have no idea how a FICO score is calculated, but no debt is probably better than any score in my thinking.

My guess is that my score wouldn't be very good though, with very little debt history and almost no earned income right now.

John
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Don't know. Don't care.

What do you do with your score when you get it? Do you have to buy food for it? Does it share a bed with you? Do you have to change its diapers?
cfs

Thanks for asking

Post by cfs »

I have NO idea.

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
arrete

Post by arrete »

Heh! Like the rest of these guys, I have no idea, and it really doesn't matter. I'm not planning on taking out loan.

Little story: Several years ago, a medical professional suddenly decided I was delinquent on a bill. Having never received a bill, I was surprised, but I worked back through my statements (never throw out, never give in) and discovered that while he was correct that I owed him money, he had never billed me for it. He had sent it to a collection guy - but I wouldn't give in. Finally ended that I paid the amount of the bill, but no penalties, etc. In the background was my husband saying "What do you care? It's not like you need a good credit rating." True. And that is a very comforting thing.

Kathy - it was the principle of the thing
Quando omni flunkus moritati
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Although Fair Isacc - the calculators of the FICO score do not reveal their calculation methodology, they use several factors to arrive at the score:

Length of credit history
Number of late payments of any
Length of past due amounts (30, 60, 90 or more days)
Amount of debt relative to amount of available credit
Number of recent requests for credit
Type of debt (revolving, pay on demand, student loans, auto, mortgage)

Generally if you pay your bills on time and have not been past due you typically will score in the low to mid 700's. Miss a payment, they might whack 50 points off your score.
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

average scores link here

the credit score is used for more than just loans... it's also car and home insurance rates, refi, future employers, etc.

Score % of population
300-499 2%
500-549 5%
550-599 8%
600-649 12%
650-699 15%
700-749 18%
750-799 27%
over 800 13%
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Last year I made the mistake of getting a credit report from all three outfits in the same month (July) and so I have to wait until July this year before I can get a free credit report.

This year I will get one from one of the outfits in July, the next one around September and then perhaps put the last one off until Jan or Feb of next year.

I'd like to eventually get them spaced about four months apart

Since I'm not planning on doing any borrowing I don't really need my FICO score, but I would like to check the credit reports every four months or so to see if anything "funny" is going on.
pjstack
MDIndexer

Re: What's your current FICO score?

Post by MDIndexer »

orthros wrote:There are 3 types of credit scores.

I get mine for free every month by having a Providian Visa, which is a nice Boglehead-friendly way to keep tabs on my credit score. :idea:
819 currently. I applied for the Providian card solely to monitor credit.
On a side note, I saw a thread on Credit Cards and some people telling others to lower there limit or close there account. That’s the worst thing to do. In the last year and a half my credit jumped ~140 points due to less utilization. I also have more credit lines reporting with a greater variety of sources (Bank cards, Store cards, Mortgages, Car loan (which is paid), etc).

P.S. the highest you can get is 850.

schellhase

Post by schellhase »

Don't know, don't care, don't plan to buy anything on credit.
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

There are 3 types of credit scores.

I have never heard of Fair Isacc & Co.

I refinanced the mortgage in early January.........and got a copy of my rating. I was surprised to see that 1 of the 3 major firms doesn't even use the same scale as the other two....

Equifax...........300-850
TransUnion......336-843
Experian..........300-850
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
WiseNLucky

Post by WiseNLucky »

Actually, your credit score may be more important than you think. I was surprised to find that my insurance rates are affected by my credit score. That's how I found out my score was above 800 -- I actually went in to talk to the agent this time around since insurance is getting so scary here in Florida. They pulled my credit up while I was sitting in the chair. And my lack of debt (which the agent knew instantly when she pulled my report) didn't seem to affect my score; I guess the history is still out there.

What was a little scary is that she pulled up and printed a picture of my house while I was sitting there -- not from their records but from some database they have access to. Imagine the feeling as you you are describing your house and the agent says "oh, you have a lovely home" while showing you the picture and all the stats (land plat, square footage, etc.)

I know we check credit (and background) for people when we hire them where I work. I wouldn't go back into debt to build up my credit score but I'm now a whole lot more careful about making sure my bills get paid on time!
WiseNLucky
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

WiseNLucky wrote:
What was a little scary is that she pulled up and printed a picture of my house while I was sitting there -- not from their records but from some database they have access to. Imagine the feeling as you you are describing your house and the agent says "oh, you have a lovely home" while showing you the picture and all the stats (land plat, square footage, etc.)

Most county appraisal offices give on-line public access to plats, maps, stats, so that is not too new, but try out the 'bird's eye view' from the link below for your own house, or a house in urban area (not available in all areas, though)

Super zoom, high resolution, four directions, can see which toys are in your wading pool...

(when you click 'bird's eye' and get a photo then double click on the photo to zoom and/or recenter or move around, and use compass to rotate orientation)

http://maps.live.com/

WiseNLucky

Post by WiseNLucky »

Pretty cool, DRiP, except my house isn't even there! The photo is too old. Google's satellite version has it but not as clear.

This was actual photographs of the front, sides and back of my house from ground level that the insurance agent pulled up.
WiseNLucky
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

DRiP Guy wrote:
Super zoom, high resolution, four directions, can see which toys are in your wading pool... (when you click 'bird's eye' and get a photo then double click on the photo to zoom and/or recenter or move around, and use compass to rotate orientation)

wow, drip... nice house. property taxes must be a *itch, tho
Sheltonian

Post by Sheltonian »

I pulled my first credit report last month from transunion, and they gave me a score calculated with VantageScore(wikipedia.org)

So, i still don't know my FICO score :roll:
"If money be not thy servant, it will be thy master." --Sir Francis Bacon
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

chuck D wrote:
wow, drip... nice house. property taxes must be a *itch, tho
:lol: :lol:

I needed the extra room to store the all records from my DRiP transactions...

(people who 'do' DRiPs will appreciate the humor!)
United

Post by United »

My score is like 730 and my only source of credit history is a 9-month old credit card.
tfb

Post by tfb »

chuck D wrote: Score % of population
300-499 2%
500-549 5%
550-599 8%
600-649 12%
650-699 15%
700-749 18%
750-799 27%
over 800 13%
So 40% of the population are above 750. I would think most diehards are in that category. When you are above 750, I think you qualify for the best rate anywhere. Don't know, don't care is good answer.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
Sheepdog

FICO Estimator

Post by Sheepdog »

Bankrate.com has a FICO estimator. If you are honest with the answers, it gives a decent approximation of what your score is. I did mine and it was within 4%. You can find it here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/fico/calc.asp?lpid=BKRATE29
Jim
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Sheepdog

Spouse and children scores also

Post by Sheepdog »

pjstack wrote:Last year I made the mistake of getting a credit report from all three outfits in the same month (July) and so I have to wait until July this year before I can get a free credit report.This year I will get one from one of the outfits in July, the next one around September and then perhaps put the last one off until Jan or Feb of next year.
I'd like to eventually get them spaced about four months apart.
Spacing your reports is a good thing to do. If you are married, be sure you get one for your spouse as well. The reports and scores can be different even with the same data input. My wife's Experian report had been comingled with another person with the same name, but a different SSN. She saw that other person's SSN and my wife's. It was a mess. It took a while to get it corrected.

So, if you are married, you each should get three reports a year and you can space them out to get one every two months. We do.

I mentioned getting one for your children. Why? Children's Social Security Numbers are often stolen to get illegal accounts. Your child won't find out the identity theft until someday when he/she wants to buy a car, get a job, get auto insurance, and so on. Try to get years of data surpressed. Check them annualy just to be sure no one has stolen their identity.
Jim
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Sheepdog

Credit reports are important for more than loans

Post by Sheepdog »

schellhase wrote:Don't know, don't care, don't plan to buy anything on credit.
If you only talking about your credit score , you don't need that. However, if you included in that statement your annual credit reports, you are mistaken. I will expand on comments mentioned by others here. Your credit reports and scores are also used for auto and homeowners insurance including rates, employment opportunities including potential advancements from your present employer, credit card acceptance and credit card interest rates, and apartment and condominium leasing.

However, this is the most important reason to see your credit reports annually. Protect your identity. It has been said that one million persons have their identity stolen every year. They get employment, they get credit cards, do criminal activities under your identity. Checking your, your spouses and childen's credit report will help you find out early. Also, when you get a Social Security report from the Gov., be sure to look that over carefully.

You have the right to be paranoid on protecting yourself.
Jim
Chip

Post by Chip »

I have no idea what my actual score is. I'm a bit surprised I have so much company in that regard here :) .

Using the bankrate link Jim provided, I get a range of 765-815.
1210sda

Live Search

Post by 1210sda »

Wow DripGuy....you're allright.

This is a great way to see your house, your neighborhood, etc.
This gives me a much better view than even Google Earth.

Lets see, I was supposed to be commenting on FICO scores, wasn't I?
Last edited by 1210sda on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Chip wrote:Using the bankrate link Jim provided, I get a range of 765-815.
Unless you admit you were late on paying something, the site probably reports 765-815 no matter what you enter because that will cover most people. :)
DRiP Guy

Re: Live Search

Post by DRiP Guy »

raintree wrote:Wow DripGuy....you're allright.

This is a great way to see your house, your neighborhood, etc.
This gives me a much better view than even Google Earth.

Lets see, I was supposed to be commenting on FICO scores, wasn't I?

Hmmm.

Raintree
Sorry, we (okay, I!) can wander a bit. I certainly hope we will allow each other some latitude if it is just a naturally occurring dialog that gets us there, as opposed to purposeful thread hijacking.

Back on topic, I also endorse getting only one credit report several times a year, but would also encourage folks to compare them -- years ago, I had one that had some completely erroneous data on it, and the other two did not, so I had to petition to correct it.
8)
Gigante

Post by Gigante »

mickeyd wrote:I selected 800 but I really do not know. I am too cheap, or uniterested, to pay Fair Isaac's for the real score, but I own my home, 2 cars, kids no longer live at home, no debt at all, several pensions, never have had any CC debt, sizeable investment both in taxable as well as tax-deferred accounts. 800? Hell, it's probably 900!!! :shock:
If you rarely use credit, then I think you will surprised to find your score isn't as high as you think.
CyberBob

A FICO Estimate

Post by CyberBob »

Well, according to Jim's Bankrate link, it approximates mine at 765-815.
But I don't really know, as I haven't had any debt in 15 years or so and don't see much reason to check.

I guess I'm kind of in the Dave Ramsey camp. He calls FICO scores "I love debt scores". So if the only way to increase mine is by being in debt, count me out.

Bob
tc101

Post by tc101 »

I was a victim of ID theft and it has gone down to 742. After I get everything cleaned up I would guess it will go back up to 836 where it was before the ID theft.

By the way, if you get a credit card from Providian you can see your score any time you want on their web site. Since the ID theft this has been very handy. I check it weekly.
CyberBob

ID Theft

Post by CyberBob »

tc101 wrote:I was a victim of ID theft...
Do you know how it happened?
Anything special we could do to avoid the same fate?

Bob
cfs

Using bankrate dot com estimator

Post by cfs »

This is what it shows for me:

Your FICO® scores are estimated to be between: 755-805

cfs
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

I don't know and I don't care.
WiseNLucky

Re: Using bankrate dot com estimator

Post by WiseNLucky »

cfs wrote:This is what it shows for me:

Your FICO® scores are estimated to be between: 755-805

cfs
Me too.

I wouldn't put too much trust in it.
WiseNLucky
phartizan

Post by phartizan »

DRiP Guy wrote:...try out the 'bird's eye view' from the link below for your own house, or a house in urban area (not available in all areas, though)

Super zoom, high resolution, four directions, can see which toys are in your wading pool...

(when you click 'bird's eye' and get a photo then double click on the photo to zoom and/or recenter or move around, and use compass to rotate orientation)

http://maps.live.com/
It's got the wrong name for the street I live on, but I'm OK with that. (The bombs will miss me.). :twisted:
Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj »

livesoft wrote:Don't know. Don't care.

What do you do with your score when you get it? Do you have to buy food for it? Does it share a bed with you? Do you have to change its diapers?
Mine grosses me about 4K a year.
BigBird

Post by BigBird »

Credit reports and scores are used to apply for apartment and house rentals as well. I don't think anyone mentioned that.

I have an associate who was actually declined a rental because of an old item regarding a small medical lawsuit, which had been resolved. It's not that they had bad credit, but that the owner didn't like seeing that detail. Pretty disgusting behavior if you ask me.
BB
Lynn

FICO score

Post by Lynn »

Mine fortunately is over 800. I found this out when getting a recent car loan.

It appears this is becoming more important with insurance companies. In looking at options for insurance for my new vehicle, I contacted my, at that time, current company and a couple others. One took into account my credit rating and this decreased my insurance by 40% for the same coverage.

Also, my home insurer recently contacted me saying my rate had decreased 20% because of my credit rating.

Things to think on...
Lynn
jimgour

Post by jimgour »

We bought a new car (cash) two months ago and they told us our FICO score was 815. Also, that is the FIRST time we ever saw a number for our FICO score. That is probably bad!
Black Knights

Post by Black Knights »

Some slightly OT and naive questions:

How does the Providian card FICO score feature work if you have a credit freeze in place?

Can you still get free credit reports if you have a freeze in place?
Jed