Why Bother With Bonds free Kindle download/Nov.21 - Nov.25

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Why Bother With Bonds free Kindle download/Nov.21 - Nov.25

Post by Barry Barnitz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:55 pm

Hi:

Many of you may be interested in reading Rick Van Ness's (aka stickman here on the forum) latest book, Why Bother With Bonds? (see Bogleheads • View topic - "Why Bother With Bonds" -- A Gem for Taylor Larimore's Gems post).

Note that the Kindle version is now available at Amazon and will be free to everyone from Friday (today) through Tuesday (Nov 21-25).

Link for those interested ----> Amazon.com: Why Bother With Bonds: A Guide To Build All-Weather Portfolio Including CDs, Bonds, and Bond Funds--Even During Low Interest Rates (How To Achieve Financial Independence) eBook: Rick Van Ness, Larry Swedroe, Carl Richards: Kindle Store

regards,
Additional administrative tasks: Financial Page affiliate blog; finiki the Canadian wiki; The Bogle Center for Financial Literacy site; Wiki Bogleheads® España.

IlikeJackB

Re: Why Bother With Bonds free Kindle download/Nov.21 - Nov.

Post by IlikeJackB » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:13 pm

I just downloaded it and plan to read it this weekend. Thanks Barry!
"Do what you will, the capital is at hazard." Justice Samuel Putnam, Harvard College vs Amory, 1830. The "Prudent Man Rule."

2retire

Post by 2retire » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks stickman (and Barry).

zvez

Post by zvez » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:22 pm

thanks for the heads up!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:55 pm

I linked to this thread from our sister Canadian site: Why Bother With Bonds free Kindle download/Nov.21 - Nov.25

Canadian readers should use this link: Why Bother With Bonds (amazon.ca)

The book appears to be available on all Amazon world-wide sites. I guess most books are, so this is nothing new. I just thought it was interesting.

UK - amazon.co.uk
Germany - amazon.de
France - amazon.fr
Italy - amazon.it
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 pm

thanks. I'll look forward to reading that.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Wow, thanks for the head's up.
Downloaded. :happy

Small Change

Post by Small Change » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:49 pm

Thanks for passing this along.

sai

free kindle book: Why Bother With Bonds

Post by sai » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Author Rick Van Ness is making the Kindle version of his new book free for a few limited days: Why Bother With Bonds: A Guide To Build All-Weather Portfolio Including CDs, Bonds, and Bond Funds -- Even During Low Interest Rates. Grab one while it's still free.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

^^^ I merged sayeesh's post into here, which is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

BillyG

Post by BillyG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:02 pm

I bought the book and read it before the free Kindle version became available, and it was well worth it -- a very good book for Bogleheads and those who are not (yet) Bogleheads.
Billy

Rayandron

Post by Rayandron » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:06 pm

Just to clarify, does "free with Kindle Unlimited" mean one can download it and own it permanently for reading whenever, or is it only accessible during that 4 day window or during the Kindle Unlimited trial?

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 pm

I downloaded and read over the weekend, i think its an eye opening book for a new investor, or someone just trying to understand types of bonds and how bonds work for your AA and why. I "knew" that bonds should be part of investing but really did not have a strong understanding as to why and how they really worked. This book really helped get a grasp on understanding and knowing why.
"Gonna Make It"

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:02 am

Downloaded-- thank you! And thank you LadyGeek for the Amazon.ca link. Look forward to reading the book.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:36 am

Downloaded, read some of it, want to post this before the deal has gone--yes, pick it up, it's good.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

max12377

Post by max12377 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:45 am

Thank you for the notice.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:28 am

Rayandron wrote:Just to clarify, does "free with Kindle Unlimited" mean one can download it and own it permanently for reading whenever, or is it only accessible during that 4 day window or during the Kindle Unlimited trial?
You can just get it free without Kindle Unlimited for the moment. Click on the buy button rather than the read with button. Just got my copy.

Thanks Stickman (just coincidentally read the avatar thread from last year where you explained the meaning :) ) and Barry, etc for the notice.

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:58 am

JLJL wrote:You can just get it free without Kindle Unlimited for the moment. Click on the buy button rather than the read with button. Just got my copy.
Same here, just got it for free. Thanks to the OP for the notice.

pingo

Post by pingo » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:29 am

Just order the book. Thank you!

tuckeverlasting

Post by tuckeverlasting » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:50 am

I just got this too. Seems to be just what I need, thanks so much everyone! :)
It's Good To Be A Boglehead

RunningRad

Post by RunningRad » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Started reading it last night. It seems a little bit basic, so far, but reads well. Best deal in personal finance books in some time!
Few decisions in life motivated by greed ever have happy outcomes--Peter Bernstein, The 60/40 Solution

rick53403

Re: "Why Bother With Bonds" -- A Gem

Post by rick53403 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:14 pm

[Post moved into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

FYI - The Kindle eBook http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PL7WS16/?tag=financ0a-20 version of this book, "Why Bother With Bonds" is free download (on Amazon) thru midnight, Tuesday, Nov 25th.

FredCouples

Free Kindle version: "Why Bother with Bonds?"

Post by FredCouples » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:27 pm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PL7WS16/?tag=financ0a-20

Got an email from Rick Van Ness offering FREE Kindle version of his book thats good thru Tuesday November 25th at midnight.

Thrift Shop

Re: Free Kindle version: "Why Bother with Bonds?"

Post by Thrift Shop » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up Freddie.

Sweet swing by the way!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 pm

^^^ FYI - I moved FredCouples' thread into here.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:08 pm

^^^ rick53403's post is also moved into here. (It was posted earlier, so appears before FredCouples.)

I downloaded the book and have a few comments.

- This book is focused on accumulating for retirement and I think it understates the importance of "time horizon": Match your investment choices to your time horizon. For example, if you want to buy a house in 5 years, don't buy a 10-year CD.

- Bonds are indeed complicated animals. While the explanation of duration is accurate, the amount of space dedicated to the theory overshadows the intent and may turn away new investors. Here's an explanation by Investopedia which I think is easier to understand in context: Advanced Bond Concepts: Duration

What investors should remember is that you should pick a bond fund's duration equal-to or shorter-than the period of when you need the money (another point about investing to your "time horizon"). See the wiki: Duration

Rayandron

Post by Rayandron » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 pm

JLJL wrote:
Rayandron wrote:Just to clarify, does "free with Kindle Unlimited" mean one can download it and own it permanently for reading whenever, or is it only accessible during that 4 day window or during the Kindle Unlimited trial?
You can just get it free without Kindle Unlimited for the moment. Click on the buy button rather than the read with button. Just got my copy.

Thanks Stickman (just coincidentally read the avatar thread from last year where you explained the meaning :) ) and Barry, etc for the notice.
Thank you. D/L'd last night.