What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
cusetownusa

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Post by cusetownusa »

for those that have all their money at Vanguard are you just calculating your personal return number yourself? Looks like Vanguard's personal return number is still as if the end of November for me and I am too lazy to calculate it on my own.
wk522

Post by wk522 »

52 YO still in accumulation phase

AA 72/28 With the Bond allocation split evenly between Muni and taxable bonds

Up 9.18% in 2016.

VTIAX was a big winner for me (My largest holding) and anything Intl was a drag. I also have a slight tilt towards Healthcare which didn't help.

My bond portfolio was down 1-2%. Hi Yield Corporate helped (up 4.28%) while VFIDX was down 2%. The rest were barely breakeven or down a bit.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

wk522 wrote:Up 9.18% in 2016.
2016 returns:
+4.67% VTIAX
-8.99% VGHCX
So if most of your funds were medicocre to down, how do you explain your up 9.18% performance? I gotta get some of that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
elgob.bogle

Post by elgob.bogle »

Up 8.7% in 2016. Broke even last year, so our 2-year performance is "not-so-good". We have a bond-heavy portfolio.

elgob
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Vanguard Admiral Shares as of 12/31/2016
VFIAX 11.93% (S&P 500)
VTSAX 12.66% (Total Market)
VIMAX 11.22% (Mid Cap)
VSMAX 18.30% (Small Cap)
VFWAX 4.73%(ex-US)
VEMAX 11.73% (Emerging Market)
VBTLX 2.60% (Total Bond)
VBILX 2.83% (Intermediate Bond)
VBIRX 1.49% (Short Term Bond)
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
feh

Post by feh »

M* portfolio tracker says my return for 2016 was 9.7%

Not sure if that includes dividends or not (I think it does).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

If the dividends were reinvested (like in a tax-deferred account), tracking returns by price alone won't be accurate. Indexes recognize this aspect and usually provide two types of indexes: price and total return.

See the wiki: Index types

The S&P 500 index total return usually runs about 2% higher than the price return.*

Source: S&P 500® - S&P Dow Jones Indices, Additional info --> Monthly and Annual Returns --> Annual Total Returns tab (spreadsheet), Column F. (The spreadsheet has not yet been updated for 2016.)

* The S&P 500 price return is what you see on the news and is what we're predicting in the REGISTRATION FOR THE 2017 BOGLEHEAD CONTEST.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

feh wrote:M* portfolio tracker says my return for 2016 was 9.7%

If you are looking at a "total return" column on Morningstar portfolio manager, it does include dividends.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
feh

Post by feh »

ruralavalon wrote:
feh wrote:M* portfolio tracker says my return for 2016 was 9.7%

If you are looking at a "total return" column on Morningstar portfolio manager, it does include dividends.
Yes, that's the column I'm looking at.

So,what was the change in the S&P 500 index for the year (which does not include dividends)? I'm seeing S&P 500 funds returned just under 12% for the year. If the dividend was just about 2%, did the index change about 10% for the year?
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

livesoft wrote:
2016 returns:
+4.67% VTIAX
-8.99% VGHCX
So if most of your funds were medicocre to down, how do you explain your up 9.18% performance? I gotta get some of that.
Well, High-Yield Corporate was up 11.2%, not 4.3, so that would help boost the average. And VFIDX was up 4.0%, not down 2%, so maybe these numbers need a second look.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

cusetownusa wrote:for those that have all their money at Vanguard are you just calculating your personal return number yourself? Looks like Vanguard's personal return number is still as if the end of November for me and I am too lazy to calculate it on my own.
For year to date, divide "investment returns" by "beginning balance". That will be roughly accurate if you are contributing/withdrawing roughly equal amounts every pay period, monthly, or on any other scheduled basis.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

401k: +8.50%
Vanguard: +12.66%

401k:

Total Allocation: 73/27 Stock/Bond
Stock Allocation: 69/31 US/Intl

Vanguard:

Total Allocation: 100/0 Stock/Bond
Stock Allocation: 100/0 US/Intl

Combined Accounts:

Total Allocation: 80/20 Stock/Bond
Stock Allocation: 80/20 US/Intl

401k = 68% of total balance
Vanguard = 32% of total balance
cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa »

ruralavalon wrote:
cusetownusa wrote:for those that have all their money at Vanguard are you just calculating your personal return number yourself? Looks like Vanguard's personal return number is still as if the end of November for me and I am too lazy to calculate it on my own.
For year to date, divide "investment returns" by "beginning balance", subtract 1. That will be roughly accurate if you are contributing/withdrawing roughly equal amounts every pay period, monthly, or on any other scheduled basis.

That gives me 10.6%. I have a 75/25 AA with 40% of equities in international.

But we aren't contributing on any type of schedule. I am self employed and invest depending on cash flow of my business. Plus does that take into consideration timing and amount of dividends?
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

Quicken IRR shows +9.04% for 2016 for my 75/25 tax-adjusted AA across my TSP, Roth IRA and taxable accounts.

I don't keep track of this so much to ensure fidelity to an index (not sure what the need is with only VTIAX/VTSAX/TSP G fund). Rather, I like to know how I'm doing in reality vs. the estimated average 5% annual rate of return in my retirement planning spreadsheet.

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

cusetownusa wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:
For year to date, divide "investment returns" by "beginning balance", subtract 1. That will be roughly accurate if you are contributing/withdrawing roughly equal amounts every pay period, monthly, or on any other scheduled basis.

That gives me 10.6%. I have a 75/25 AA with 40% of equities in international.

But we aren't contributing on any type of schedule. I am self employed and invest depending on cash flow of my business. Plus does that take into consideration timing and amount of dividends?
No. It doesn't take timing into account, unless amounts intervals are regular.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Returns below are calculated using XIRR in Excel. My portfolio is heavily tilted to value, small, momentum, and profitability. 75% equities/15% fixed income/10% alternatives, market cap weights for domestic/intl developed/intl emerging equities.

Code: Select all

8.2% Overall

11.0% Equities

18.9% Domestic Equities Total
22.5% Domestic SCV (QSMLX)
16.4% TSP S Fund

1.7% International Equities Total
 0.5% Intl Developed (QICLX and TSP I Fund)
 6.4% Intl Emerging (QEELX)

3.0% Fixed Income Total
 1.8% G Fund
 4.9% Prepaid Cards

-0.3% QSPIX
Cramerica

Post by Cramerica »

oncorhynchus wrote:Quicken IRR shows +9.04% for 2016 for my 75/25 tax-adjusted AA across my TSP, Roth IRA and taxable accounts.
How has your experience with Quicken been?

Would you say it's worth it if I have Fidelity to track my returns?

It seems like the automatic download feature would be nice since I make a lot of trades.

I have been using Excel XIRR.
samuck

Post by samuck »

100% stocks (76% all world, 12% domestic, 12% EM)
up 9.7% in 2016 (including dividends) :beer
columbia

Post by columbia »

The personal capital app tells me +9.0% for 2016.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Cramerica wrote:
oncorhynchus wrote:Quicken IRR shows +9.04% for 2016 for my 75/25 tax-adjusted AA across my TSP, Roth IRA and taxable accounts.

It seems like the automatic download feature would be nice since I make a lot of trades.

Not onchorhynchus, but recommend Quicken, especially if you trade. I don't trade much, but find it invaluable for tracking my covered and uncovered lots for specific-id.

I earlier reported Vanguard taxable of 3.8%, overall up 7.7% for the year across all accounts (401k, kids, etc).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
resurgemus

Post by resurgemus »

Alchemist wrote:
resurgemus wrote:9.74% on a 70/30 split. There's some REIT, SCV, Small Int'l, and EM in there, as well.

Can't complain. I think the SP500 was 9.5%? Nice to beat it with less risk.
You did quite well, but not as well as the S&P 500. The 9.5% is without dividends, with dividends it was close to 12%. For example, FUSVX (Fidelity 500) and VFIAX (Vanguard's S&P 500 index fund) both returned 11.9%.
Thanks! Didn't think of that.
Domestic 42%, Int'l 21%, REIT 7%, Fixed 30%
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Cramerica wrote:

Not onchorhynchus, but recommend Quicken, especially if you trade. I don't trade much, but find it invaluable for tracking my covered and uncovered lots for specific-id.

I earlier reported Vanguard taxable of 3.8%, overall up 7.7% for the year across all accounts (401k, kids, etc).
My Quicken data file goes back 25 years, encompassing my entire investing history (IRR = 6.12%), well-documenting my highs and lows (literally). Nothing like being able to revisit my tech bubble history in excruciating detail to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Pros:
-- handles basic trading and reporting relatively well, across multiple providers and accounts
-- automated data download (except TSP, but pretty easy to update manually)
-- unlike online sites, doesn't commoditize my personal financial info for sale

Cons
-- 3 year sunset on download capabilities
-- poor support and some maddening bugs (jury's out on this improving with new owners)
-- While it has rudimentary asset allocation/rebalancing capabilities, they're not granular enough for my taste, so I supplement with an Excel spreadsheet. I also wish it would include an ability to track/highlight/report ERs and other fees

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Kind of surprised at the results here. The market really soared towards the end of the year and I thought many people would do better than their ~8% average I am seeing here (guess a large % of bonds). Quite frankly, I thought that I would be underperforming the market (but just slightly), but quite happy to be above the average.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

So far for 2017, I'm dead even. Will update on Tuesday.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

cheesepep wrote:Kind of surprised at the results here. The market really soared towards the end of the year and I thought many people would do better than their ~8% average I am seeing here (guess a large % of bonds). Quite frankly, I thought that I would be underperforming the market (but just slightly), but quite happy to be above the average.
~8% are the returns of several near 60/40 multi-asset index funds Vanguard:

7.13% VSMGX
8.77% VBIAX
6.95% VTWNX
7.48% VTTVX

So dial-up more US stocks and more value stocks and do better, but ~8% seems perfectly in line with expectations.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
siamond

Post by siamond »

cheesepep wrote:Kind of surprised at the results here. The market really soared towards the end of the year and I thought many people would do better than their ~8% average I am seeing here (guess a large % of bonds). Quite frankly, I thought that I would be underperforming the market (but just slightly), but quite happy to be above the average.
I am around 8% too, not due to bonds (don't have a lot), but due to International. Oh well, the pendulum will swing back...
wk522

Post by wk522 »

livesoft wrote:
2016 returns:
+4.67% VTIAX
-8.99% VGHCX
Sorry, my largest holding was VTSAX, not VTIAX. Wrong symbol!
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

401(k) : 9.86% - Target Retirement 2035 @Voya, no ticker
Roth IRA : 6.20% - 100% VBTLX (now, but was 100% VASIX until July then 65% VBTLX/35% VTSMX until October)
Taxable : 13.10% - 100% VTSAX (opened in July, this number is XIRR)
HSA : 7.34% - 80% VDAIX / 20% VBLTX until December, now 100% VDAIX, will be liquidated in January because of custodian change. Started investing it on Brexit day (!!)
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Vanguard personal performance of all accounts says 2016 was 13.9% which should be similar to everyone else. Plenty of bonds and crummy stocks in there which pulled me down I guess.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

My 2016 returns were 9.37% with a 90/10 portfolio. Cannot complain!
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

island wrote:
Uncle Pennybags wrote:
island wrote:Not all Bogleheads are the same
Really? Do we all not all index invest unsung asset allocation? I would not call the timing trolls "Bogleheads".
Sure, but not all are 100% index. Some hold other investments from before discovering indexing, don't have index funds in their 401Ks, or inherited other options, and some choose variety including managed funds, individual stocks, annuities, etc. Bogleheadland is inclusive. :happy
OK you can call it what you want but market timing is very unBoglehead.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

Total portfolio return for 2016, excluding contributions, was 11.88%.

We are not 3 Fund portfolio adherents; it's complicated by what I can buy via the employer plan; what DH can buy retail at low fees; and also by our preference to tilt to tech and biotech index funds to goose a bit of growth, since we feel that domestic S&P 500 and real estate are at all-time highs. So this is our construct; current allocation: 80/10/10

- 40% US Domestic Stock (FSKAX)
- 20% International (10% FSPNX & 10% FKEMX)
- 10% Real Estate Investment Trusts, REIT (VGSNX)
- 5% NASDAQ Index fund (FBSOX)
- 5% Biotech Index (FBIOX)
- 10% Bond Index (FINPX)
- 10% Cash fund (FDRXX)

Still pretty easy to manage, since we only re-allocate when any one fund is +/- a 5% range.
LazySherpa

Post by LazySherpa »

Total return 8.65% - 90% in equities.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

BW1985 wrote:I don't track this but VG 'balances over time' says 7.3% for 1 year. Not sure how accurate that is, it also includes my EF which is cash sitting in a money market.
Now my VG says 10.4% as of 12/30/16. Cool.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
VAslim16

Post by VAslim16 »

Yep. 10.3% for 2016 per Vanguard. 50/50 split of VTI and VXUS.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

0%, as of 2:45 PM Eastern today.
PJW
Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor »

+12.36% That's exclusively trading bond funds. The previous two years was easier to best the S&P thanks to junk munis. In 2016 barely beat the S&P thanks to bank loans and junk corporates. The later two and emerging market bonds are about all that is left standing in Bondville and emerging markets bonds are too volatile for my methodology. Haven't a clue how 2017 will unfold and not very confident in beating the S&P unless it has a negative year. Best wishes to everyone for a prosperous 2017!

Edit: I try and keep my drawdowns under 1%. That necessitated a lot of trading in the first half of the year but very little the second half because of the trend persistency in the floating rate funds.
Last edited by Trader/Investor on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:0%, as of 2:45 PM Eastern today.
PJW
:mrgreen:
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

+12.6% for 2016, excluding 2016 additions. 70/30 stock:bond. 25% of stocks international. Slices of REIT, SCV, Biotech/Health, and Muni Bonds.
Buddtholomew

Post by Buddtholomew »

arsenalfan wrote:+12.6% for 2016, excluding 2016 additions. 70/30 stock:bond. 25% of stocks international. Slices of REIT, SCV, Biotech/Health, and Muni Bonds.
Arsenal not looking so good right now.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

61/39. Up 9.64 for 2016.

Tim
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Buddtholomew wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:+12.6% for 2016, excluding 2016 additions. 70/30 stock:bond. 25% of stocks international. Slices of REIT, SCV, Biotech/Health, and Muni Bonds.
Arsenal not looking so good right now.
Nonsense. They are on target for the Arsenal Trophy - 4th place!

Arsenal is a metaphor for my international holdings. Really, really pulling for them but tempering expectations because they always disappoint...If only there were a 4th place trophy...
best2u

Post by best2u »

2016 was another good year for us. We ended up 7.4% excluding our contributions. Our mix is 48% stock and 52% fixed income. There were 3 months, where the monthly investment returns totaled more than our total annual contributions. I know it doesn't mean much but it is something I watch for kicks and giggles. :sharebeer
mister_sparkle

Post by mister_sparkle »

2016 was a Good Year for me:

Up 9.02% overall -- 2.97% of that dividends and 6.06% investment performance. I do a simple calculation based on YE 2015 balance change, so doesn't take into account increase on any contributions made during the year.
kbrinaldi

Post by kbrinaldi »

2016 XIRR: 9.8%

Asset Allocation:
TBM - 14%
TIPS - 9%
LB - 40.5%
SV - 13.5%
ILB - 14%
ISB - 9%

Beat our benchmarks by ~1%. :sharebeer
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

2016 XIRR 10.51%

Basically a 70/30 portfolio. Emerging markets were good to me this year.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

2016 XIRR 8.9%

60/40 portfolio

Scanning it looks about typical. Index funds are like that. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
DarkNyte

Post by DarkNyte »

2016 Up 12.68%

VTI 50%
VXUS 25%
VNQ 12.5%
BND 12.5%
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

For 2016 up 9.0% according to Vanguard Personal Performance