What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ruralavalon

Re: What are you up YTD? [Year To Date]

Postby ruralavalon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:06 pm

market timer wrote:+14% and I'm out. Now 100% cash and waiting for bargains on either equities, bonds, or real estate. Nothing is attractive right now. It's possible I'll stay at 100% cash for a year or two, also possible I'll buy a house with it.

What fund(s) did you invest in to have a return of 14% so far this year?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Cramerica

Postby Cramerica » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:43 pm

market timer wrote:+14% and I'm out. Now 100% cash and waiting for bargains on either equities, bonds, or real estate. Nothing is attractive right now. It's possible I'll stay at 100% cash for a year or two, also possible I'll buy a house with it.

I'm up a similar amount and wonder if I should liquidate. I'm just adding more to bonds with new contributions as of now.

The overall market is still down about 4% and the extended market is down about 13% based on Friday's close.

It seems a little early to liquidate, but maybe I'll hedge and liquidate some!

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Cramerica wrote:

I'm up a similar amount and wonder if I should liquidate. I'm just adding more to bonds with new contributions as of now.

The overall market is still down about 4% and the extended market is down about 13% based on Friday's close.

It seems a little early to liquidate, but maybe I'll hedge and liquidate some!

What fund(s) are you invested in that gave you a return similar to 14% so far this year?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | | Wiki article link:Getting Started

market timer

Postby market timer » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:28 pm

ruralavalon wrote:

The main contributors to my YTD returns were from gold futures and gold miners, oil futures and Petrobras equity, health care REITs, and increasing exposure to EM equities in February. Commodities weighed negatively on my 2015 returns, so this was a nice turnaround.

With commodity inflation turning from negative to positive, core CPI running at 2.5%, and unemployment at 4.7%, I wonder who is buying long term bonds at such low yields. These low yields are supporting valuations across all asset classes.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:15 am

I took a look at my 401k and it's essentially unchanged YTD. Not worth commenting, but breakdown is more interesting:
BND up 5% (really?)
VTI up 3%
Active Fund down 6%
VXUS -2%

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... =INT#tab=1

Odd that it's reporting higher YTD than my simple calculation would indicate
06/16/2016 Year-to-Date
Total Bond Mkt Index Adm 4.85%

High High Date Low Low Date
$11.03 06/16/2016 $10.65 01/05/2016

11.03/10.65=1.0357

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Retired, age 70, asset allocation 50/50.

Up 3.46% per Morningstar's portfolio manager.

Best fund so far is Vanguard REIT Index Fund, up 8.78%.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Uncle Pennybags

Postby Uncle Pennybags » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:04 pm

market timer wrote:+14% and I'm out.
Not very good; I'm up 30% YTD.

technovelist

Postby technovelist » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Up about 15% YTD.
AA: Approximately 55% gold, 30% Swiss franc annuities, 5% silver, the rest cash.
(Disregarding home equity)
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

siamond

Postby siamond » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:38 pm

Well... Yesterday, I had a YTD gain higher than 5%, feeling good about it and not being overly worried about the UK vote, thinking that reason should prevail. And here we are one day later, all gains of the year erased... Oh well, time will pass... Stay zen, my friends! :wink:

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:43 pm

siamond wrote:Well... Yesterday, I had a YTD gain higher than 5%, feeling good about it and not being overly worried about the UK vote, thinking that reason should prevail. And here we are one day later, all gains of the year erased... Oh well, time will pass... Stay zen, my friends! :wink:

Up 5.6% prior to Brexit.

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:50 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
siamond wrote:Well... Yesterday, I had a YTD gain higher than 5%, feeling good about it and not being overly worried about the UK vote, thinking that reason should prevail. And here we are one day later, all gains of the year erased... Oh well, time will pass... Stay zen, my friends! :wink:

Up 5.6% prior to Brexit.

Yep, yesterday was an all time high for us. Now it's just a not-so-distant memory. I think I won't look for a while which is probably a good idea anyway.

goingup

Postby goingup » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:Yep, yesterday was an all time high for us. Now it's just a not-so-distant memory. I think I won't look for a while which is probably a good idea anyway.

Yes, same for us--all time portfolio high yesterday. Sometimes it feels especially hard to push that rock up the hill. Today the rock got heavier or the hill got slipperier. :annoyed

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 pm

goingup wrote:
GoldenFinch wrote:Yep, yesterday was an all time high for us. Now it's just a not-so-distant memory. I think I won't look for a while which is probably a good idea anyway.

Yes, same for us--all time portfolio high yesterday. Sometimes it feels especially hard to push that rock up the hill. Today the rock got heavier or the hill got slipperier. :annoyed

The good news is we've seen this before, so we know, long term anyway, the overall direction of the market and our investments up. :happy

oldcomputerguy

Postby oldcomputerguy » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Well, on the domestic equity side, my 401k is down around 3 1/2 - 4%, while international is down between 7 and 8%. On the flipside, my bond fund is up 0.6%, so it's not a complete rout.

This is the first non-trivial downturn I've seen since I moved everything from sector funds to index funds. And you know something? I'm completely calm. In fact I hope it stays this way or gets a bit worse by next week, when I get paid and make my biweekly contribution.

Could be worse, I suppose. Of course it's only day one post-Brexit. We'll see.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:13 pm

smartinwate wrote:Well, on the domestic equity side, my 401k is down around 3 1/2 - 4%, while international is down between 7 and 8%. On the flipside, my bond fund is up 0.6%, so it's not a complete rout.

This is the first non-trivial downturn I've seen since I moved everything from sector funds to index funds. And you know something? I'm completely calm. In fact I hope it stays this way or gets a bit worse by next week, when I get paid and make my biweekly contribution.

Could be worse, I suppose. Of course it's only day one post-Brexit. We'll see.

Sector performance is no better and your domestic is mostly just the sum of the sectors. Just be glad you weren't in Financial Services (XLFS) -6.24% or Financials (XLF) -5.36%. Most other sectors were also down around 4% today.
http://www.sectorspdr.com/sectorspdr/to ... or-tracker

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:06 pm

ruralavalon wrote:

Up 5.6% prior to Brexit.

Now at the end of the day still up 3.46% year to date.

Retired, age 70, 50/50 asset allocation.

Best fund so far is still Vanguard REIT Index Fund.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fpr4

Postby fpr4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:21 pm

0% after brexit

nbseer

Postby nbseer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:34 pm

At all-time high today after Brexit, thanks to being virtually 100% in short and intermediate term bonds.

technovelist

Postby technovelist » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:55 pm

16.61% after Brexit. Wow, it was exciting to see gold go up $100 in a few hours! (Although it didn't retain those gains, of course)

RCL

Postby RCL » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Don't know my year to date numbers, but after BrExit day, the portfolio only went down abt 1.5%.....
so for the year it is still up for a 45.5% stock /54.5% bond portfolio

Buddtholomew

Postby Buddtholomew » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34 am

market timer wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

The main contributors to my YTD returns were from gold futures and gold miners, oil futures and Petrobras equity, health care REITs, and increasing exposure to EM equities in February. Commodities weighed negatively on my 2015 returns, so this was a nice turnaround.

With commodity inflation turning from negative to positive, core CPI running at 2.5%, and unemployment at 4.7%, I wonder who is buying long term bonds at such low yields. These low yields are supporting valuations across all asset classes.

25% of my AA is invested in LTT's.
Since 2011, LTT's have returned 65% with dividends invested. I hold this asset for the volatilty and not specifically the yield it generates.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.

sschullo

Postby sschullo » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:03 am

30% equities/70% bonds went down .003% yesterday.

YTD portfolio is up about 3.5%.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

TheTimeLord

Postby TheTimeLord » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:54 am

Vanguard Admiral Shares as of 6/24/2016
VFIAX 0.74% (S&P 500)
VTSAX 0.67% (Total Market)
VIMAX 0.87% (Mid Cap)
VSMAX 2.37% (Small Cap)
VFWAX -3.50% (ex-US)
VBTLX 4.91% (Total Bond)
VBILX 6.29% (Intermediate Bond)
Run, You Clever Boy!

market timer

Postby market timer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:34 am

Buddtholomew wrote:
market timer wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

Since 2011, LTT's have returned 65% with dividends invested. I hold this asset for the volatilty and not specifically the yield it generates.

Yeah, I've also benefited from the decline in yields since 2011; however, I think upside from here is limited, while downside risk is enormous.

technovelist

Postby technovelist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:37 am

market timer wrote:
Buddtholomew wrote:
market timer wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

Yeah, I've also benefited from the decline in yields since 2011; however, I think upside from here is limited, while downside risk is enormous.

And "downside risk" is something you have had plenty of experience with, if I recall your story correctly. :sharebeer

Buddtholomew

Postby Buddtholomew » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:16 pm

market timer wrote:
Buddtholomew wrote:
market timer wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:

How is upside limited? Yields are negative in countries throughout the world, with the 30-year trading at 2.43%. With a duration of 17+ years and some rough math, we are still looking at a gain of approximately 40%. Also, I don't make the mistake of looking at assets in isolation and overall portfolio FI duration is 5.6 years.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Discretionary is up nicely compared to the SP5. Amazingly have been in mostly hoarding cash since April. The few stocks left have had tremendous runups. :? I am back in with on Friday on a couple of my favorite stocks. Last week of June is here and Weds-Thurs could be telling days. Here's hoping for a good DCB. :annoyed

YMMV

Notes: I don't play with the secure and necessary accounts. 66/69.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

market timer

Postby market timer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:55 am

Downturn is coming faster than I'd expected. Allocated 1/3rd to international equities just now. Willing to allocate another 1/3d if we see another 10% drop in the weeks ahead.

alphaseeker1

Postby alphaseeker1 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:55 pm

80% stocks - up 7%
20% alternative investments - up about 80%

Sheepdog

Postby Sheepdog » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:18 pm

Reporting in
On June 1 I reported here that I was up 4.01%. As of closing on 6/27/16 I was up 4.26%.
If I leave out my I Bonds and CDs (which totals 25% of investments) and therefore include only my Vanguard traditional and Roth IRAs (which is 75% of investments) the return to date is up 5.07%
(Age 82, 23% stock and feeling very fortunate in being a conservative investor.)
However good or bad a situation is, it will change

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:55 pm

At the end of Brexit vote + 2 days, still up 2.61% year to date.

Retired, age 70, 50/50 asset allocation.

Best fund so far is still Vanguard REIT Index Fund.

Tanelorn

Postby Tanelorn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:28 pm

alphaseeker1 wrote:80% stocks - up 7%
20% alternative investments - up about 80%

Clearly I need more alternative investments in my portfolio. What you have you been buying besides Brexit futures? :)

travellight

Postby travellight » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:52 pm

About 5.3%, 80/20 aa

Robert44

Postby Robert44 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:15 pm

as of 6/29 up 5.04%. 50/50 assets

Uncle Pennybags

Postby Uncle Pennybags » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:08 pm

ruralavalon wrote:Best fund so far is still Vanguard REIT Index Fund.
My REITs covered my foreign stock losses with a few dollars left over. :?

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:06 am

ruralavalon wrote:

Up 5.6% prior to Brexit.

Now 5 trading days after Brexit vote, up 5.52% year to date.

That certainly was a short "plunge" and "panic".

sschullo

Postby sschullo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:15 am

4.7%. From Jan-April, 37/63 stock bond split.
May-June now have a 30/70 split.
Half of my portfolio is in VG TBM.
All of my holdings went up, even the Internationals!

Name Ticker Return
Vanguard Wellesley® Income Admiral™ VWIAX 7.65
Vanguard Total Intl Bd Idx Admiral™ VTABX 5.91
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm VBTLX 5.52
Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF VTI 3.68
Vanguard Extended Market Idx Adm VEXAX 2.52
Vanguard Prime Money Market Investor VMMXX 0.2
Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Admiral VTIAX 0.08
Treasury Direct iBond 0.009
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

2Birds1Stone

Postby 2Birds1Stone » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:36 am

Up 7% YTD thanks to 20% allocation in Gold/Silver.

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:39 am

Up 5.60% (100% stocks). Those numbers are buoyed by purchases of international equities; regrettably, I did not purchase as much as I would have liked during the January downturn due to insufficient available funds.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:11 am

triceratop wrote:Up 5.60% (100% stocks). Those numbers are buoyed by purchases of international equities; regrettably, I did not purchase as much as I would have liked during the January downturn due to insufficient available funds.

That's funny about international because here are some YTD returns from morningstar.com

5.52% VBTLX Total bond index
3.65% VTSAX Total US stock
7.27% VSIAX US small-cap value
0.08% VTIAX Total international stock (it's the worst and dragging down everyone else's returns)

3.74% VSMGX LifeStrategy Moderate growth (60/40)
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:21 am

livesoft wrote:
triceratop wrote:Up 5.60% (100% stocks). Those numbers are buoyed by purchases of international equities; regrettably, I did not purchase as much as I would have liked during the January downturn due to insufficient available funds.

That's funny about international because here are some YTD returns from morningstar.com

5.52% VBTLX Total bond index
3.65% VTSAX Total US stock
7.27% VSIAX US small-cap value
0.08% VTIAX Total international stock (it's the worst and dragging down everyone else's returns)

3.74% VSMGX LifeStrategy Moderate growth (60/40)

Huh, interesting. My SCV tilt had a lot to do with it too. I would note that I bought most of my VTIAX at a discount to the 12/31/2015 price.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:31 am

triceratop wrote:Huh, interesting. My SCV tilt had a lot to do with it too. I would note that I bought most of my VTIAX at a discount to the 12/31/2015 price.

I sold all our VTIAX as noted in this post on 12/29/2015: viewtopic.php?p=2736262#p2736262
I rebought VTIAX after Brexit as noted in this post: viewtopic.php?p=2959491#p2959491

OK, that's only posting about winners and not about losers. Too bad. :twisted:

Toons

Postby Toons » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43 am

Six figures
8-)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43 am

livesoft wrote:
triceratop wrote:Huh, interesting. My SCV tilt had a lot to do with it too. I would note that I bought most of my VTIAX at a discount to the 12/31/2015 price.

I sold all our VTIAX as noted in this post on 12/29/2015: viewtopic.php?p=2736262#p2736262
I rebought VTIAX after Brexit as noted in this post: viewtopic.php?p=2959491#p2959491

OK, that's only posting about winners and not about losers. Too bad. :twisted:

I also recall you saying in Dec '15 that you expected VTIAX to go up 10% in Jan '16, so you must have been in VFWAX at that time.

Otherwise, who sells an asset they expect to go up? :shock:

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

triceratop wrote:Otherwise, who sells an asset they expect to go up? :shock:

Well, if you look at that thread, when was VTIAX purchased in 2015? Was it an RBD? :twisted:

Besides, everything I sell continues to go up. I'm losing money right and left all the time. How else can I keep up with all those TLH threads? :beer
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

grayfox

Postby grayfox » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

According to longinvest's Boglehead Returns spreadsheet:

for the month of June-2016, +2.2%.
YTD for 2016 , +6.3%

That is the largest 1 month gain since +5.35 in Jul-2013, which followed -5.68% in Jun-2013. I don't recall what happened then. Maybe there was a jump in interest rates in Jun-2013.

Every month in 2016 has been positive gain. Currently about 20% stock.

How can this be? I thought there was a plunge? This makes no sense. I was expecting losses. How can it be the best month in several years? Maybe I should double-check the numbers.
Gott mit uns.

triceratop

Postby triceratop » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:58 am

Your sacrifice, livesoft, is an inspiration to us all.

Forgive me, though, if I opt to strive to make money.

:wink:

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:04 pm

livesoft wrote:
triceratop wrote:Otherwise, who sells an asset they expect to go up? :shock:

Well, if you look at that thread, when was VTIAX purchased in 2015? Was it an RBD? :twisted:

Besides, everything I sell continues to go up. I'm losing money right and left all the time. How else can I keep up with all those TLH threads? :beer

Me too, :oops:
:beer
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

pinot3

Postby pinot3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:32 pm

Here are my stats:

Stocks: 70% VFIAX (Vanguard 500 Admiral)
Bonds: 30% VBILX (Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond Index)

Up: 5.962

Happy 4th of July weekend!! :happy
pinot3 / total expense ratio: .0595%

pinot3

Postby pinot3 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:34 pm

Oops!:

30% VFIAX
70% VBILX

up YTD: 5.962
pinot3 / total expense ratio: .0595%

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”