[Poll] Have you taken any Investments course?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

Have you taken any Investments course?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 175

acegolfer

[Poll] Have you taken any Investments course?

Post by acegolfer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:01 am

I'm surprised by the depth of knowledge in this community. The BH philosophy are taught in finance courses at business schools, yet they are very unintuitive. Even after learning principles of investments, most students still think that they can pick stocks and beat the market. In addition, they think they can time the market.

This led me to wonder how you adopted the BH philosophy.

Q: Did you take any investments course to learn the theory such as diversification effect, efficient frontier, CAPM?

In addition, if you have taken it, did it help or hurt you?

Update (6/22): The poll results are very surprising. More than 3 quarters said they haven't taken an investment course. I have a related question.

Q: If there's a college level course that teaches the theory supporting the BH philosophy such as low-cost indexing, will you take it?
Last edited by acegolfer on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cheese_breath

Re: [Poll] Have you taken any Investments course?

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 am

Other than a few courses at the School of Hard Knocks, no.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:14 am

I am unaware of any investment courses for non-professionals. I learned about mutual funds from my tank commander in the Army back in 1988. It was a great time to get into the market. I then read some periodicals for a while until college got too busy. My learning stopped until I found BH's 3.5 years ago. I learned more in the first month than I had in the first 40 some years of life.

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:17 am

I voted no. I had the example and counsel of my grandfather to guide me on a path that ultimately led me to Boglehead Land.
Steve | Semper Fi

prudent

Post by prudent » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 am

It wasn't actually a formal "course", but man, the tuition was expensive.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:43 am

prudent wrote:It wasn't actually a formal "course", but man, the tuition was expensive.
Great answer.
Not only was the tuition expensive, but the teacher was tough.
It is interesting how many never learn from that teacher.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:46 am

No. Read one book that led me to this site, which led to more books, etc

For me the best part was that, other than the cost of the books, this education was free.

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:52 am

I have taken many courses...none in finance.
I know nothing!

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 am

Me neither...although, I now feel that I wish I had taken some kind of basic Finance/Tax/Investing type course.

But thanks to Bogleheads, I've learnt quite a bit.

jidina80

Post by jidina80 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 am

I took Morningstar's Investing Classroom online courses approximately 10 years ago. I found it helpful and fun.

http://www.morningstar.com/cover/Classroom.html

gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am

If you belong to a local chapter of AAII (American Association of Individual Investors) every monthly meeting is an Investment Course.
Gordon
Disciple of John Neff

rjm_cali

Post by rjm_cali » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:11 am

There has been some move to teach personal finance in schools in the UK. Presumably to help kids avoid credit card debt and hopefully to start saving for retirement (good luck with that one at 16).
I just hope course content won't be sponsored by the managed fund companies .

Like others have alluded to the financial school of hard knocks provides most of the lesson in what not to do - just wish I had come across the Boglehead teaching methods a lot earlier in life. A financial statement from the Prudential on one of my long term savings which listed the reduction in fund value followed a by a further reduction due to fees was the final lesson.

cromwell

Post by cromwell » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:12 am

Being a busy professional I had entrusted my investments to active money managers with mixed results until 2007 when I read Jack Bogles little book of common sense investing while convalescing from surgery.I and the managers had committed almost every mistake Jack mentioned. I took over all accounts immediately, transferred all funds to Vanguard gradually and have never looked back.My accounts are currently worth 3 times their 2007 value. I would bet others had the same epiphany.

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:31 am

I am completely self-taught. I found the instructor to be likeable, friendly, intelligent, but unfortunately incompetent. I tried various approaches found in books by Peter Lynch, Ric Edleman, Wm O'Neil, etc.

I attended a meeting at our company at the height of the dot com bubble. I was in funds with companies that later made unfavorable headlines. I honestly didn't know if there were money market funds available in our very confusing 401k, so I asked the Fidelity rep at the meeting. Instead of answering my question, the guy went on a rampage about how you have to be in stock mutual funds. His answer to my direct question about money market funds led me to believe that none were available. Thus I "stayed the course" in the wrong direction and lost heavily.

So after trying everything else, I finally found the fledgling Diehards forum on M* and learned about Vanguard and a better way of investing. I became obsessive about saving and BH investing.

The instructor of my self-taught curriculum emerged humble and willing to accept what the market returns. I am grateful for the wisdom from Jack Bogle and others.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 am

jidina80 wrote:I took Morningstar's Investing Classroom online courses approximately 10 years ago. I found it helpful and fun.

I agree that the Morningstar "course" is both helpful and entertaining. One looking for a good place to start could do a lot worse than starting there.

swimirvine

Post by swimirvine » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:33 am

I took a free online course on the Finance of Retirement and Pensions. http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 2&t=124423

it was a lot of work and I came away with a better knowledge of bonds (useful), pensions (not very useful) and the ability to do several types of calculations that only economists use (useless)

I was happy to see that the take home message from one of the lessons was basically "costs matter." The professor made us calculate the return of a mutual fund we currently hold in a bunch of different ways and compare it to a bench mark. He then asked us to calculate what the return would have been with an ER of 0.20 and with no ER 0.00. The point of the exercise was to make the people with mutual funds with expense ratios of 1.0-1.5 see how much that affects returns over the long run. I used VTSAX with an ER of 0.05 but I appreciated the point of the exercise nonetheless. Hopefully it was an eye-opening experience for some of the students.
The way I invest my money is not the right way to invest, it's the right way for ME to invest.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:40 am

Nope. School of Hard Knocks for me. Read a few books though.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

asif408

Post by asif408 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:42 am

The impetus for my learning was a gift of money last year from my parents they put into an investment account with a full service brokerage firm. I bought a basic investing book after that entitled: "A Beginner's Guide to Investing: How to Grow Your Money the Smart and Easy Way". Really good introduction for a beginner with no knowledge and that opened the floodgates for me. It recommended other books at the end of each chapter for further reading, which led me to read and listen to books by David Swensen, William Bernstein, Larry Swedroe, Burton Malkeil, and others. I think the book also mentioned the Bogleheads Guide to Investing, which led me to this forum. I also read through some of Vanguard's research papers, which I found to be very informative.

I've gained a wealth of knowledge in the last 6 months about investing just from reading books, listening to audiobooks, listening to podcasts, and reading and posting on the boards here. I still don't have a great grasp of the intricacies of bonds, which I'll probably end up looking for books on in the near future.

MP1233

Post by MP1233 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:46 am

I have not. However, I am on our university budget committee and have interacted with a newly hired finance professor. As I suspected, he is strongly in favor of active management, and he also works part time as a financial adviser. This has made be cynical about taking investment courses.

Bracket

Post by Bracket » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:49 am

jidina80 wrote:I took Morningstar's Investing Classroom online courses approximately 10 years ago. I found it helpful and fun.

This looks very good. I think I'm going to take my first investing class.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:50 am

MP1233 wrote:I have not. However, I am on our university budget committee and have interacted with a newly hired finance professor. As I suspected, he is strongly in favor of active management, and he also works part time as a financial adviser. This has made be cynical about taking investment courses.
lol. It reminds me of
17. Most of what is taught about investing in school is theoretical nonsense. There are very few rich professors.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/50-unfor ... z35C9NmwQL

MP1233

Post by MP1233 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:02 am

acegolfer wrote:
MP1233 wrote:I have not. However, I am on our university budget committee and have interacted with a newly hired finance professor. As I suspected, he is strongly in favor of active management, and he also works part time as a financial adviser. This has made be cynical about taking investment courses.
lol. It reminds me of
17. Most of what is taught about investing in school is theoretical nonsense. There are very few rich professors.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/50-unfor ... z35C9NmwQL

I loved the list and will show it to my kids. Solid information and some great humor. Thanks!

Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am

I took a $30 course on bonds a year year ago. The instructor was a local financial advisor and he offered a free portfolio review (in hope of getting more business). His office was across the street from mine so I met him for lunch one day. I handed him my family investment notebook with up to date statements from Vanguard, my company 401K, and my local bank, a breakout of my monthly automatic withdrawls and my 3-page IPS. He read it for 3 minutes, handed it back to me and said I was the most organized client or potential client he had ever met, and I was doing a fine job on my own.

He asked how I learned investing and I told him "allot of books and the Bogleheads website."

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:27 am

You have to take a course to stay the course,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sadie wess

Post by sadie wess » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 am

VictoriaF wrote:You have to take a course to stay the course,

Victoria
Nicely put!

Sadie

afan

Post by afan » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 am

I took a finance (not investing) course at a top B school. Then used that background to do do the reading and problems for courses in accounting, more finance, and investments. In part for my work, and in part for curiosity about investing and ability to read the academic finance literature, I have taken a number of courses in statistics and math. After that, I got to the point where I could buy the book and work through it without needing to take a course.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:53 pm

acegolfer wrote:I'm surprised by the depth of knowledge in this community. The BH philosophy are taught in finance courses at business schools, yet they are very unintuitive. Even after learning principles of investments, most students still think that they can pick stocks and beat the market. In addition, they think they can time the market....
Not sure what you mean by "unintuitive," but often it's not enough to just learn about or even invest the BH way. For us humans, still wired for short-term, immediate-gratification-type thinking, there probably will always be thoughts of beating or timing the market. Self-discipline is needed to keep from acting on those thoughts. Can that discipline be achieved in a class?

I took no investing courses before investing, but my interest in and reading up on the subject eventually led to Jack Bogle.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:12 pm

No formal courses. I'm a reader, so I've read bunches of books. A few seminars have served as mere curiosities. And then I've had arms length opportunities to learn from friends and acquaintances who have lived and worked in the markets in various ways. I came to the Bogleheads at the latter end of most of that, which keeps me on top of the latest important stuff.

Busting Myths

Post by Busting Myths » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Bachelors in Finance. Completed Level I and II of the CFA Program (waiting on results of Level 3!).

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I answered yes because that's how they were advertised, but all were actually sales pitches of one sort or another.

I never learned anything useful from one of those "courses," other than to better-recognize when to run away. One "course" offered a money-back guarantee if you quit before class started back up after the lunch break. I quit but, oh boy, do they not like that!

Funny that they can take your money in a matter of seconds but it takes a written request for a refund. And then, when the refund doesn't show up on your CC a phone call reveals that refunds are only processed monthly! I had AMEX reverse the charges. That only took a few minutes and an emailed copy of my receipt for the refund.

P.S. this was the CAN-SLIM course. Not the first one where you pay $40 and they hand out a free $40 book, but the follow-up multi-day course that costs over a hundred (I forget exactly).
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:19 pm

prudent wrote:It wasn't actually a formal "course", but man, the tuition was expensive.
+ 1
Experience losing real money, my money, is the best "course."
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Bill M

Post by Bill M » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:28 pm

With MOOCs free and widely available, I've taken several: Finance, Financial Engineering (I and II), Mathematical Methods of Finance, Monte Carlo Methods of Finance, Computational Finance, Behavioral Economics, and probably several more. They all came long after the classes that mattered, from that School of Hard Knocks. So I now know that the pros take the wrong models, plug in the wrong data, and do what the model tells them to do. I think the BH way is far superior.

Retread

Post by Retread » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:36 pm

Wharton School degree. I guess I did. Can't remember. :oops:
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Yes..Good luck!
Last edited by seeshells on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:21 pm

seeshells wrote:In the spirit of this thread "Coursera" online has many great courses of many interests. I've no affiliation or interest with this other than an educational suggestion.
Sadly, they've yet to offer a course on investing or on personal finance, but I keep looking.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:15 pm

I haven't looked at MOOC investments courses. But if you find one, learn the following topics, which are closely related to BH philosophy.

how to measure risk/return
risk-return trade off
diversification effect in portfolio
efficient frontier
capital allocation line
2-fund separation theorem
CAPM
market efficiency, passive/active investment
mutual fund fees such as expense ratio
mutual fund performance

These are the theoretical and empirical justifications for why indexing strategy is superior.
Last edited by acegolfer on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

eschaef

Post by eschaef » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 pm

I've learned most of what I know on my own by reading. I was lucky that my parents contributed $10,000 to a ROTH IRA for me when I was young and working, which allowed me to think about investing in a real way. However, my dad did have me pick individual stocks to invest in. I always found it stressful to even think about, as in "How the heck do I know which companies to choose?!" The volatility was tough to stomach as well. After college and a few years of watching the balances in my account swing wildly, I decided to start reading up about how to pick good stocks. It wasn't long before I decided that it was, as I had suspected, a fool's game and discovered mutual funds, then indexing, then Vanguard. I solidified my plan and control of my account by transferring the money from Morgan Stanley (where my father's investments are) to Vanguard. I'm still learning by reading and still early in the game, but thinking about where my money is invested is no longer stressful, and I enjoy that. :beer

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:24 pm

I haven't taken a finance or investments course, but I wrote my thesis on random walks (not as applied to investing), so I understand how to model the stock market as a random walk. And as a random walker, I have long been happy to sit back and let the market walk wherever it wants; I have always been in low-cost funds and usually 100% in index funds. (I have held active funds when they were better ways to meet my investment needs, such as Vanguard Windsor when it offered deeper value exposure than Value Index, and International Explorer before there were international small-cap ETFs.)
Wiki David Grabiner

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 pm

Haven't taken any courses. Read a lot. Started with a Consumer Reports article back around 1990 to understand what mutual funds are and selected from their list two funds for my IRA, which had been in CDs. Personal Finance for Dummies (really) and plenty of other books from the library. Opened my Vanguard account in the early 1990s. Made a few mistakes in my 401k, but nothing devastating. Slowly but surely I have developed a basic understanding of the key concepts. No complicated stuff. Boglehead-lite, I call it.

Sents

Post by Sents » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:45 pm

I have not taken any courses where investing was the primary topic. However, we covered depreciation, ROI, NPV, and using other's peoples money (OPM) during chemical plant design courses during my past engineering studies. The boglehead philosophy started to really resonate with me after I was a teaching assistant for Statistics at a University of California.
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets. For it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. | L. Beethoven

BigJohn

Post by BigJohn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:19 am

After about 15 years with my broker I decided to take a look at long term performance. After a few hours with a spreadsheet, I was very surprised to see that all the stock/fund picking had under performed vs my 401(k) which was all in very low cost index funds. Decided to get more educated and the first book I read was "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" by Burton Malkiel. By the time I was finished, several light bulbs had popped up over my head. Since then my education has been enhanced by reading many more books as well as lurking on this site for several years.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:08 pm

I voted yes but most of my recent reading (10 years) has been on my own and has been much more beneficial than that long-ago book learnin.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:36 pm

No formal courses. Most of my education is from the Wiki and books I've found through this website and the WCI website. I have taken several statistics courses which I found especially useful for slogging through some of the chapters in Berstein's books. I think at least a rudimentary knowledge of statistics is critical to understanding the world of finance. When motivated, one can learn far more from reading books on a subject as an adult than they can from a college course taken essentially as a kid with a lot of other distractions. I know I missed a statistically significant percentage of my 8AM classes sophomore year. :beer

I suspect most of those who took a number of finance courses have a career in finance and thus would shun this website in favor of a more active investment forum.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

rnitz

Post by rnitz » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I have an MBA from Harvard Business School, but I have to tell you I learned less about investment there than from a single reading of "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" (or reading just one of Jack Bogle's books). Yes, there's CAPM, efficient market hypothesis, etc. but until you WANT and NEED information you tend not to understand it as deeply. Perhaps the tools from school helped, but I learned FAR less there than I have here (without two years tuition and lost earnings). And I'm more proud of my progress towards a degree from Bogleheads U. :happy

P.S. I learned far more accounting from starting a business and writing checks and invoices than I did from any classwork, as well.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:49 pm

When I got my engineering degree.......about the only investment related classes I had were in regards to payback period for an investment, and the concept of net present value.

I did take an elective class in Agricultural Economics........and did learn some basic business concepts....including an income statement and balance sheet.

After graduation.......I signed up for an Adult Ed class at a local high school taught by an Edward Jones broker. He used Venita VanCaspel's book on financial planning.......which was basically ok except for load funds and limited partnerships. I learned that investing in common stocks is the only real way to accumulate wealth.......because bond returns slightly exceed inflation.....before taxes.

I still remember getting about half way thru the class....maybe 4 weeks into it..and I noticed that several widows in their 60's were very upset about something in the first session of the class that night. At break, I asked them what they were upset about.......and they were outraged that they were never taught anything about investing as they went through their lives. They realized that compound interest benefits you when you are the youngest (more time to compound).....and they realized they were learning about compound interest too late in life to get much gain out of it.

In the late 1970's, I used to go over to my friends house and I noticed a Money magazine laying out in his brother's room. I thumbed through it....it looked interesting....so I subscribed to it around 1978.

I decided to save 15% of gross income and each month invest in 3 good no-load stock mutual funds. I decided to pick 3 funds with the best 5 year records and invest in them...starting in 1979.

In the 80's, I got very frustrated because my 3 top performing funds gradually became average versus top performing funds. There seemed to be no way to know in advance how to pick the best performing funds.

This problem bugged me so much, that in 1990 I decided to write my term paper in finance for my MBA on how to find the best mutual fund. Using Consumer Reports magazine, I found that only 1 fund came within +/-20% of the S&P 500 in each of the last 5 years....and this fund was the Vanguard Index 500 fund. As a result of this paper, I switched all my common stock mutual fund money to Vanguard's Index 500 fund in late 1990. I have been an avid indexer ever since.

I studied and passed the Series 65 exam to be a financial planner. Unfortunately, I learned nothing about investing from this exercise, because it all focused on legal questions.

So, it was a combination of a couple of engineering classes, Money magazine, an adult ed class, Venita VanCaspel's book, watching mutual fund performance over several years, an MBA finance class, and Consumer Reports magazine that got me on the path of index fund investing.....which occurred over a span of about 12 years.

I was 100% stocks from 1979 until 1990. In 1999 I switched to 90:10 using Total Bond Fund for bonds. In Jan 2008, I switched to 60:40 and plan to keep this AA in retirement.

I have always stayed the course through the Crash of 1987, the Tech Wreck 2000-2002 Bear market, and the 2008-2009 Sub-Prime Crash.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

cfs

Post by cfs » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:20 pm

Yes I have.

Yes I have taken some investment courses, yes I have taken navigation courses and yes I know how to stay the course and yes I know when to change the course when needed, for example to prevent collisions or to prevent running aground. And now back to watching World Cup Reviews.

Thanks for reading.
~ Your Money, Your Portfolio, Your Decision ~

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:13 am

rnitz wrote:I have an MBA from Harvard Business School, but I have to tell you I learned less about investment there than from a single reading of "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" (or reading just one of Jack Bogle's books). Yes, there's CAPM, efficient market hypothesis, etc. but until you WANT and NEED information you tend not to understand it as deeply. Perhaps the tools from school helped, but I learned FAR less there than I have here (without two years tuition and lost earnings). And I'm more proud of my progress towards a degree from Bogleheads U. :happy

P.S. I learned far more accounting from starting a business and writing checks and invoices than I did from any classwork, as well.
+1. Hear! Hear!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:30 am

I have learned from a variety of sources.

Books. One of my first books was by Andrew Tobias, The Only Investment Guide You Will Ever Need. I was also quite influenced by Peter Lynch's two books. Over the years I have read books from a variety of authors.

Financial press. There is a lot of chaff here but I learned a lot from various publications. Money, Kiplinger's, Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Fortune, Barrons, etc.

TV and Radio. I was an avid watcher of Louis Rukeyser and Wall Street Week. Ditto for Paul Kangas and the Nightly Business Report. I learned an awful lot from Bob Brinker and his Money Talk program. Bob Brinker introduced me to a lot of Boglehead concepts.

Stockbrokers. I was fortunate to work with four stockbrokers who were knowledgeable. The first was a friend who went into the business and really got me started in investing. I am now working with broker number four. These guys taught me an awful lot and I was very fortunate to escape the unhappy experiences that many have had. None of these guys churned me and all had a Value orientation. I don't recommend this route, I think I lucked out. Horror stories abound with stock brokers.

Financial plans and portfolio analysis. I have had my portfolio looked at by several people. The advice was not 100% objective but I learned a whole lot. The best one was a surprise, it was done by my insurance company. They had a good nugget of advice and that was to be more represented in small-cap stocks.

Seminars. I have gone to a variety of seminars over the years. Each time, I learned something.

In many ways I was self-taught. Learned a lot from experience and watching how my investments performed in real life. Having my future and my retirement on the line really motivated me to learn.
A fool and his money are good for business.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Formal courses? Not a chance. Reading on my own? Absolutely. Then, try out what I've learned on my own finances.

"The best way to learn something is to try and teach it." is why I'm a wiki editor. Once I learn something, I update the wiki to help others.

If I can't write about it, then I haven't really learned it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:34 pm

cheese_breath wrote:Other than a few courses at the School of Hard Knocks, no.
Me too.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page