"Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter" [Clements column]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter" [Clements column]

Post by Taylor Larimore » Fri May 02, 2014 7:26 am

Bogleheads:

Few people have more experience giving conflict-free advice than Jonathan Clements. Mr. Clements has written over 1000 columns for the Wall Street Journal. He recently said "Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter" is one of his favorite columns. Read it and you will understand why:

Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter

If you are interested in absorbing more of Mr. Clement's wisdom, these are "Gems" from his book, You've Lost It. Now What?

You've Lost It. Now What?

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Bruce

Re: "Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter"

Post by Bruce » Fri May 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Very timely post Taylor,

Thanks for bringing that back into view, and thanks for taking the time you have "invested" in putting together your collection of gems.

Just printed out a copy of the article for my college student daughter and handed it to her.

Now that her finals are over, she also just finished reading Bill Bernstein's outstanding e-book, "If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly".

She remains student loan free going into sophomore year, so hopefully some of the info is sinking in!

regards,
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri May 02, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for the link and the "gems," Taylor. I remember reading the "Daughter" column when he wrote it and also his writing about his son, and also the daughter (not sure about the son) writing one of his columns.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

DouglasDoug

Post by DouglasDoug » Sat May 03, 2014 8:07 am

I keep checking the weekend edition of the WSJ for his articles. What day does his column appear?

Penguin

Re: "Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter" [Clements column]

Post by Penguin » Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

DouglasDoug wrote:I keep checking the weekend edition of the WSJ for his articles. What day does his column appear?
Google is my friend:
http://www.jonathanclements.com/articles.html
Jon

Dickerson

Re: "Advice I'll Pass On To My Daughter" [Clements column]

Post by Dickerson » Sun May 04, 2014 12:43 pm

I also like the even more specific advice given by jhcollinsnh which he provided for his daughter:

http://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/06/04/my-pa ... -10-years/

Wish I had access to both of these when I was first starting out. Of course some of the suggestions were not even options (i.e. VTSAX, 401(k), etc.)