Worthwhile news columns

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
kidfresh

Worthwhile news columns

Post by kidfresh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:07 am

Can anyone recommend newspapers, magazines, columns, writers, etc. who provide insightful coverage of financial markets and/or investing? I'm talking about something other than so-called "squawkbox" material that reacts to the market fluctuations of the day (CNBC, Yahoo! Finance, etc.).

Many thanks.

thx1138

Re: Worthwhile news columns

Post by thx1138 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 am

Pretty much nothing of what you read about the financial markets is going to be actionable. Some of it is more erudite sounding noise but it is all essentially noise.

I often have breakfast at a place that gets the WSJ. I pick it up once or twice a week just to remind myself how useless a daily "news" paper actually is. Occasionally they have stories that are longer term in scope and are an interesting or curious read, but again they don't tell me anything I need to know for investing.

I have found the last half of "The Economist" (weekly) to have interesting articles. Besides a section titled "Business" there is a "Finance and Economics" section that has seven or eight articles in it at least half of which I enjoy reading. Again, nothing really actionable but a healthy reminder that history frequently repeats itself and is always in the process of doing so right now (every week an article that comes down to "investors stupidly chasing yield to places they shouldn't", this week an article on the Dutch being busy trying to emulate the housing crisis that already occurred in other nations). And the rest of the magazine is a nice reminder that a large world outside the US exists...

Occasionally "The Atlantic" (monthly) has an interesting business/finance/economics article.

Beyond that usually I use this forum as a filter - people link to interesting articles here and I read them, where ever they might come from.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 am

This forum is sufficient for me.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 am

kidfresh wrote:Can anyone recommend newspapers, magazines, columns, writers, etc. who provide insightful coverage of financial markets and/or investing? I'm talking about something other than so-called "squawkbox" material that reacts to the market fluctuations of the day (CNBC, Yahoo! Finance, etc.).

Many thanks.
Here are some I've read the most (and I know I'm forgetting too many) though I look first for the subject of interest:

Jason Zweig
Jonathan Clements
Jane Bryant Quinn
Rick Ferri
Larry Swedroe
Allan Roth
Jesse Eisinger
Andrew Ross Sorkin
James Surowiecki
Bill Schultheis
Scott Burns
Floyd Norris
The Finance Buff
Oblivious Investor

Check out our wiki for more: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/News_and_blogs

Also, Zweig, Clements, Quinn, Ferri, Swedroe, Roth, etc., have written excellent books.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

gotherelate

Post by gotherelate » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Fallible wrote: ... I know I'm forgetting too many ...
Perhaps most notably Jack Bogle.
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:10 pm

gotherelate wrote:
Fallible wrote: ... I know I'm forgetting too many ...
Perhaps most notably Jack Bogle.
True. Then again, since we wouldn't be here without him, it didn't seem necessary. :happy
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 am

Wall Street journal.

Just remember that everyone else in the market has read it too, so stay with index funds despite the company specific news. You don't need to read the whole thing either. Different sections interest different readers.

A bit spendy. I'd suggest buying it for 2 weeks at the newsstand before subscribing to see if it's your thing.

I prefer the paper version but get the dual paper/electronic subscription for when I'm traveling.