my review of my HSA with Saturna brokerage

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
fish-steak

Re: my review of my HSA with Saturna brokerage

Postby fish-steak » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:04 pm

bphaedrus wrote:Interesting. Any reason not to invest with VTI (rather than VTSAX) to save the extra $10 fee?

According to Saturna's commission schedule (http://www.saturna.com/sbs/commsch.shtml), the inactive account fee is $25 for an account holding equities and ETFs, $12.50 for accounts holding only mutual funds and zero for accounts holding everything in cash or MM. If you plan to drop the HDHP at some point, it can be cheaper to pay higher commission in exchange for a lower maintenance fee.

I confirmed with Saturna customer service that holding a Vanguard ETF would result in the higher $25 inactivity fee.

mikep

Postby mikep » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 pm

fish-steak wrote:
bphaedrus wrote:Interesting. Any reason not to invest with VTI (rather than VTSAX) to save the extra $10 fee?

According to Saturna's commission schedule (http://www.saturna.com/sbs/commsch.shtml), the inactive account fee is $25 for an account holding equities and ETFs, $12.50 for accounts holding only mutual funds and zero for accounts holding everything in cash or MM. If you plan to drop the HDHP at some point, it can be cheaper to pay higher commission in exchange for a lower maintenance fee.

I confirmed with Saturna customer service that holding a Vanguard ETF would result in the higher $25 inactivity fee.

Wow this could cut my cost from $14.95 to $12.50 per year if I just leave it alone. I hold the Fidelity TIPS index mutual fund there for the CA tax advantages. Are mutual fund shares sold to pay the inactivity fee on Dec 31?

fish-steak

Postby fish-steak » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:31 pm

mikep wrote:Are mutual fund shares sold to pay the inactivity fee on Dec 31?

Good question. I'd like to know too. I'll report back on Saturna says about this on the weekday.

In the meanwhile, I'm trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages of their cash sweep options. The choices are Cash, FDIC insured (DIDE), Dreyfus Government Cash Management (DGVXX) and Dreyfus Treasury & Agency Cash Management (DTVXX). How did you guys justify your pick?

fish-steak

Postby fish-steak » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Good news: the inactive fee can be paid with a separate check. Trading commissions cannot--they're counted with the yearly contribution limit.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Postby Lieutenant.Columbo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:41 pm

fish-steak wrote:Good news: the inactive fee can be paid with a separate check. Trading commissions cannot--they're counted with the yearly contribution limit.
when does one incur an inactivity fee with a Saturna brokerage account?
by calendar year?
or very 12 months since last transactions?
do reinvestments count as transactions in order to not incur inactivity fee?
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

Easy Rhino

Postby Easy Rhino » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:42 am

it's calendar year. I trade every 13-14 months or so and don't get a fee

I don't have any investments set to reinvest so I don't have any insight on if that affects the fee.

fish-steak

Postby fish-steak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Lieutenant.Columbo wrote:do reinvestments count as transactions in order to not incur inactivity fee?

I checked with Saturna and my rep confirmed that reinvestments do not count as activity. There must be a buy or sale. (darn)

cookymonster

Postby cookymonster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Does anyone know of a non-Vanguard total bond fund with a rock bottom expense ratio? My current HSA is completely invested in VBMPX. I prefer to keep my HSA in bonds, and since these pay out dividends so frequently, I want to avoid ETF's (and the monthly dividend reinvestment fee).

If there are no better options than VBMPX, I'll pay the $24.95 a year for it, but it would be nice to use a decent alternative for $14.95.

indexfundfan

Postby indexfundfan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 pm

cookymonster wrote:Does anyone know of a non-Vanguard total bond fund with a rock bottom expense ratio? My current HSA is completely invested in VBMPX. I prefer to keep my HSA in bonds, and since these pay out dividends so frequently, I want to avoid ETF's (and the monthly dividend reinvestment fee).

If there are no better options than VBMPX, I'll pay the $24.95 a year for it, but it would be nice to use a decent alternative for $14.95.

I believe T Rowe Price funds are NTF at Saturna. The TRP US Bond Enhanced Index Fund PBDIX has an ER of 0.3%.
My signature has been deleted.

cookymonster

Postby cookymonster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:12 pm

indexfundfan wrote:
cookymonster wrote:Does anyone know of a non-Vanguard total bond fund with a rock bottom expense ratio? My current HSA is completely invested in VBMPX. I prefer to keep my HSA in bonds, and since these pay out dividends so frequently, I want to avoid ETF's (and the monthly dividend reinvestment fee).

I believe T Rowe Price funds are NTF at Saturna. The TRP US Bond Enhanced Index Fund PBDIX has an ER of 0.3%.

I'm aware of PBDIX. I think I'd rather pay the extra $24.95 than pay 0.26% more in ER (I have $17500 in my HSA, and those extra expenses are another $45 a year). I'm looking for something that's 0.10% or less. I'm surprised that I don't see anything like that offered by Fidelity or Schwab (on their websites, anway).

tfb

Postby tfb » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:47 am

cookymonster wrote:I'm looking for something that's 0.10% or less. I'm surprised that I don't see anything like that offered by Fidelity or Schwab (on their websites, anway).

FSITX at 0.05% ER is available for $14.95 commission.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

cookymonster

Postby cookymonster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:36 am

tfb wrote:
cookymonster wrote:I'm looking for something that's 0.10% or less. I'm surprised that I don't see anything like that offered by Fidelity or Schwab (on their websites, anway).

FSITX at 0.05% ER is available for $14.95 commission.

Just the info I wanted, thanks!

NewtoInvesting403

Postby NewtoInvesting403 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:15 pm

fish-steak wrote:Good news: the inactive fee can be paid with a separate check. Trading commissions cannot--they're counted with the yearly contribution limit.

Can you share how you accomplish this? I assumed they would just automatically deduct from the account balance.

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Can anyone comment on taking money out of a Saturna brokerage HSA?

Easy Rhino

Postby Easy Rhino » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Thrifty Femme wrote:Can anyone comment on taking money out of a Saturna brokerage HSA?

I've never personally tried. Knock on wood, it will be a while until i need to!

atxeng

Postby atxeng » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:25 pm

So I am in the process of sending over my full HSA over to Saturna (~$25k).

Does anyone have recommendations of HSA portfolio strategy? It looks like the entire market is open to Saturna, is that right? Any reco's?

Lieutenant.Columbo

Postby Lieutenant.Columbo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:06 pm

atxeng wrote:...recommendations of HSA portfolio strategy?
I'd invest in HSA the same asset class/es you have in Roth.
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:32 pm

atxeng wrote:So I am in the process of sending over my full HSA over to Saturna (~$25k).

Does anyone have recommendations of HSA portfolio strategy? It looks like the entire market is open to Saturna, is that right? Any reco's?

I would have figured out what I want to invest in first, and then have chosen a suitable HSA. Saturna is most suited to making just one trade per year.

atxeng

Postby atxeng » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:47 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:I would have figured out what I want to invest in first, and then have chosen a suitable HSA. Saturna is most suited to making just one trade per year.

What do you mean, the $14.95 trade fee? Wasn't most people's analysis that even w/ that fee, Saturna is way better? No monthly fees, no min. cash balance, full open market to choose from rather than a few crappy funds in most others (Health Equity, Optum Bank, Health Savings Admin)?

Does reinvesting count as trading?

Lieutenant.Columbo

Postby Lieutenant.Columbo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:32 pm

atxeng wrote:Does reinvesting count as trading?
with Saturna, reinvesting does not count as "one trade";
by the way, in Saturna reinvesting from mutual funds costs $0 and reinvesting from ETFs costs $1, FYI

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:47 pm

atxeng wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:I would have figured out what I want to invest in first, and then have chosen a suitable HSA. Saturna is most suited to making just one trade per year.

What do you mean, the $14.95 trade fee? Wasn't most people's analysis that even w/ that fee, Saturna is way better? No monthly fees, no min. cash balance, full open market to choose from rather than a few crappy funds in most others (Health Equity, Optum Bank, Health Savings Admin)?

Well, for example HealthEquity HSA has a 0/4%/yr wrap fee which is $100/yr on a $25k balance. Saturna certainly beats that, but not if you were to be doing a lot of trades.

atxeng wrote:Does reinvesting count as trading?

"Lieutenant.Columbo" gave right answer.

harvestbook

Postby harvestbook » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:
Thrifty Femme wrote:Can anyone comment on taking money out of a Saturna brokerage HSA?

Forgive this dumb question, but will it also count as a trade when you need to sell and therefore incur a $14.95 fee on the way in and the way out?

I recently opened a HealthSavings account figuring with Vanguard Total Stock Market, my expense ratio would be .3 plus the $45 annual fee (whose impact would be lessened after a few years of investing.) For background, this is a buy-and-hold account, since we have a day-to-day HSA at our credit union paying 1.5 percent. It seems like Saturna might be a slightly better choice for us but at this point we're in midstream so it may not be worth the hassle to change, at least until I plug in the 20-year effect of that additional .25 that HealthSavings charges on top!.

Easy Rhino

Postby Easy Rhino » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:48 am

A sell would count as a normal commission transaction, yes. (if you wanted to transfer out cash instead of transfer the security)

MikeTV

Postby MikeTV » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks for the thorough walkthrough! Majorly helpful.

Got an email from Saturna that "Fidelity index funds now incur a $10 surcharge". This information wasn't on their website or documents last I looked (a week ago)

cookymonster

Postby cookymonster » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:50 pm

MikeTV wrote:Got an email from Saturna that "Fidelity index funds now incur a $10 surcharge". This information wasn't on their website or documents last I looked (a week ago)

I didn't get that email, and don't get that surcharge when I put in a dummy transaction for Fidelity. I hope it's not true, as I'll probably have to look for something else to invest in (currently 100% FSITX)

atxeng

Postby atxeng » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 pm

MikeTV wrote:Thanks for the thorough walkthrough! Majorly helpful.

Got an email from Saturna that "Fidelity index funds now incur a $10 surcharge". This information wasn't on their website or documents last I looked (a week ago)

I called and asked. So technically, Saturna is not charging the fee but the administrator Pershing LLC is charging the $10 fee on Vanguard funds. They say its listed on the page of available funds with an asterisk stating the charge.

https://www.saturna.com/saturna-brokera ... d-families
VANGUARD FUNDS*
*Surcharges may apply.

Lieutenant.Columbo

Postby Lieutenant.Columbo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm

atxeng wrote:...Saturna is not charging the fee but the administrator Pershing LLC is charging the $10 fee on Vanguard funds
atxeng,
1. when does one incur this surcharge? when buying or selling? as maintenance regular fee?
2. also, is this $10 fee in addition to Saturna's $24.95/trade fee?

thanks

harvestbook

Postby harvestbook » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:32 am

My understanding is the $24.95 includes the $10 fee when buying Vanguard funds (and apparently now Fidelity as well). So $24.95 total. It is per trade. So, one purchase a year equals $24.95 total cost plus whatever the expense ratio of your selected fund. Obviously not a great choice for dollar-cost-averaging or making withdrawals. Pure buy-and-hold.

I am applying for a Saturna account today so I will share if I learn anything not yet mentioned. I can't face those Health Savings Adminsitrator fees for the next decade. Also proof how these accounts that seem good can change beneath your feet while you are sleeping--I expect a lot of turbulence in the HSA markets in the current era.

I crunched some numbers comparing Health Savings Administrators and Saturna in the Best HSA (2017) thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=207051&start=50#p3292824

Lieutenant.Columbo

Postby Lieutenant.Columbo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:01 am

harvestbook wrote:I am applying for a Saturna account today so I will share if I learn anything not yet mentioned.
find out what cost is involved in buying IJS, please :wink:

atxeng

Postby atxeng » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 pm

I posted more details over in the other thread.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:28 pm

^^^ Here's the link: Re: Best HSA (2017)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Return to “Investing - Theory, News & General”