my review of my HSA with Saturna brokerage

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Easy Rhino

my review of my HSA with Saturna brokerage

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Hi all.

Last year I opened an HSA brokerage account with Saturna brokerage services. They're not mentioned very frequently around here so I thought I'd post a casual review. And since I've had the account for almost a year and not wrote anything extensive, I figured I should get it out here now before I forget forever.

First, Saturna Capital has two different ways to open an account. You can open a mutual fund account directly with them and buy their mutual funds. There's no annual fee. Their funds are actively managed and have high (by Bogleheads' standards) fees.

They also have a subsidiary brokerage account option which is just, well, a regular brokerage account. That happens to be a HSA. The actual backend administration and website of the HSA is handled by Pershing LLC, which works with a variety of brokers.

The Saturna account has a couple of nice features that make it work for me [edited 1/27/17 with newer info]:
- expenses are low. I can pay my choice of either:
1) 14.95 a trade (for either a stock or a mutual fund)
2) a $25 annual inactivity fee if I don't have any trades at all. [mutual fund only accounts have a $12.50 fee, and no fee if only cash/money market]
- I can buy most vanguard ETFs and mutual funds (even admiral shares, I think).
- I am able to rollover money into the account every 12 months from the bank where my employer puts my HSA contributions.
- Saturna's email support was been very prompt and courteous (and was, incidentally, all handled by the same person).
- some mutual funds families have transaction-fee-free funds, either based on Saturna's fee-free list or on Pershing's.

here's their fee schedule:
http://www.saturna.com/sbs/commsch.shtml

Now, there are some disadvantages:
- there are no cash management features (no checks, no debit cards)
- there's no way to get a list of which specific funds are fee-free (but none of the ones I was interested in were)
- account paperwork needs to be mailed in
- the list of cash sweep options isn't published
- checks need to be mailed in
- not all forms are available for download (they were emailed to me)
- The website is a little bit clunky and confusing to use
- the website has limited to zero research options
- No online funds transfer ability (I needed to mail in my check deposit, an EFT transfer can be set in advance, but would require a phone call to initiate)
- to have the deposit categorized as a rollover, I needed to write a note to accompany my deposit check.

Cash sweep can be invested in 4 different options [it used to be 11!]:
- Cash
- a Dreyfus FDIC insured bank sweep
- Dreyfus Government Cash Management (DGVXX)
- Dreyfus Treasury & Agency Cash Management (DTVXX)

Forms I needed to fill out to complete my application (an account opening checklist is at this link):
http://www.saturna.com/sbs/opening_account.shtml

1) a Saturna Capital HSA application (link here)
2) a Saturna Brokerage Services brokerage application (link here)
3) an IRS 5305-B form
4) an ACH authorization for EFT withdrawals
5) a voided copy of a check (for the ACH authorization)
6) a copy of my drivers license or passport
7) NetExchange client access form (to get online account access)

Little ProTips I noted:
- the SBS brokerage application account type should be checked as "retail", then "other", then write in "HSA" after. (not "retirement" as I originally wrote)
- deposit checks need to be made out to "Pershing, LLC"
- 5498-SA forms (for contributions) aren't published until May or so (so I haven't gotten mine yet)

That's all I can think of. in my own personal case, I'm in California, where HSA's are not exempt from state income tax. So I picked an investment which, itself, exempt from CA income tax, the vanguard short term TIPS ETF (VTIP). This has not performed well over the last year, but that's besides the point. For the cash sweep I picked DVPXX [later migrated to the insured deposit program] which is also state tax exempt (all of the cash sweeps are roughly 0% rate now). VTIP did have a small year-end dividend, which was paid and then reinvested in the sweep fund 3 days later. So I haven't had much activity but it's worked fine so far!

[I've since made one rollover contribution approximately every 13 months from my work's HSA, by check, mailing it in with a letter to identify the contribution as a rollover, and bought more shares of the ETF, and it's worked without any surprises)
Last edited by Easy Rhino on Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: my review of my HSA with Saturna brokerage

Post by grabiner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Thanks for the review. I have linked to this from the Wiki Health Savings Account page, as Saturna appears to be competitive with other brokerage choices. $14.95 per trade isn't a high fee for the typical Boglehead HSA which will probably make one or two ETF trades per year.
David Grabiner

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:17 pm

+1. I also use Saturna in CA and have Fidelity Spartan TIPS index fund for the same reasons. Don't forget you can TLH on your state taxes if you want to swap TIPS funds :) Highly recommended.

ajcp

Post by ajcp » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks for the review. They definitely seem cheaper than most, so nice to get some information from someone who's used them.

Mick

Post by Mick » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 am

I also found them very easy to work with and all questions were answered quickly and efficiently by email. Once the account was opened I just setup a link to my checking for the next year's HSA contribution. I just went with one of their funds since it had about a 1% expense ratio. A little high on that but no other fees seemed to balance it some. Using the HSA as more of an investment for now.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:05 pm

speaking of the HSA wiki, it says this on Saturna:

Vanguard funds are available however there is an additional $10 commission to buy/sell them. Fidelity Spartan investor/advantage funds are available with the required minimum investments without the additional $10 commission.

This doesn't look correct from what I can see. there's no "additional" fee, nor are spartan funds on the fee free list. Anyone know where that came from?

aha

Post by aha » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 pm

What funds do they offer?

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:40 pm

aha wrote:What funds do they offer?

Pretty much all of them, although most have the transaction fee. If there is any specific obscure fund you're looking for I can try to look it up

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:25 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:speaking of the HSA wiki, it says this on Saturna:

Vanguard funds are available however there is an additional $10 commission to buy/sell them. Fidelity Spartan investor/advantage funds are available with the required minimum investments without the additional $10 commission.

This doesn't look correct from what I can see. there's no "additional" fee, nor are spartan funds on the fee free list. Anyone know where that came from?

That's what they told me on the phone, so I updated the wiki as its not found anywhere on their site. Said it was due to Vanguard being "low-cost" (YEAH!) for not reimbursing them for mailing prospectuses, etc. where the other fund companies do. As for the Fidelity Spartans, they are not commission free but rather $14.95 (without the additional $10 charged for Vanguard).

aha

Post by aha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02 am

Do they carry Vanguard TIPS? Can't find a list anywhere on their site.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 am

yeah they carry all the vanguard funds, you just have to pay the 14.95 trading fee on them.

the ones I see listed as allowing me to place an order:
VIPSX
VAIPX (admiral)
VTIPX
VTAPX (admiral)

i also personally own the ETF, VTIP.

Now, take this with a grain of salt,, I was able to place a buy order for some admiral shares with only $80 cash in my account. So I don't know in what way that would have failed spectacularly when i didn't meet the minimum.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:57 am

Could you check on VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX, and FSTVX? Thanks!

(These are the Admiral shares of Vanguard's Total Stock Market, Total International, and Total Bond Market funds, and the Advantage shares of Fidelity's Spartan Total Market Index fund.)

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:55 pm

Eric wrote:Could you check on VTSAX, VTIAX, VBTLX, and FSTVX? Thanks!

yep they're all listed as something I can place a trade on.

then again, since the system would let me try to trade these with 80 bucks, take it with a grain of salt. If access to the admiral funds is a showstopper for you, i'd probably shoot an inquiry to them:
http://www.saturna.com/sbs/contact.shtml

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:00 pm

Thanks for the helpful info.

aha

Post by aha » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:31 pm

Thank you for the info!

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:18 am

Note the $75 "account transfer out" fee. (See the table at the bottom of page 3 of this PDF.) I was planning to sign up, but that fee gives me pause. If I run into problems, I'd like to be able to leave without paying a significant penalty.

mikep

Post by mikep » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Eric wrote:Note the $75 "account transfer out" fee. (See the table at the bottom of page 3 of this PDF.) I was planning to sign up, but that fee gives me pause. If I run into problems, I'd like to be able to leave without paying a significant penalty.

I believe that fee is for a trustee to trustee transfer. Does it apply to a direct rollover?

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:42 pm

if you liquidated your holdings and withdrew the cash you presumably wouldn't be hit with the fee.

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:54 pm

mikep wrote:I believe that fee is for a trustee to trustee transfer. Does it apply to a direct rollover?

Good question, and worth asking Saturna (though I prefer trustee-to-trustee transfers). I just sent them an email and will report any answer I get next week.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am

Good news. Saturna emailed back and said that "the transfer charge only applies for transfers. We currently do not charge for mailing checks or closing accounts."

Mr_X

Post by Mr_X » Tue May 20, 2014 2:12 am

Easy Rhino wrote:...
Forms I needed to fill out to complete my application:
1) a Saturna Capital HSA application
2) a Saturna Brokerage Services brokerage application
3) an IRS 5305-B form
4) an ACH authorization for EFT withdrawals
5) a voided copy of a check (for the ACH authorization)
6) a copy of my drivers license or passport
7) NetExchange client access form (to get online account access)

Little ProTips I noted:
- the SBS brokerage application account type should be checked as "retirement"
- deposit checks need to be made out to "Pershing, LLC"

This was also my experience. I was walked through the forms and mailed them in along with a check. Five days later my account was open and ready for trading.

A+

buffalo

Post by buffalo » Wed May 28, 2014 11:32 am

Easy Rhino wrote:yeah they carry all the vanguard funds, you just have to pay the 14.95 trading fee on them.

the ones I see listed as allowing me to place an order:
VIPSX
VAIPX (admiral)
VTIPX
VTAPX (admiral)

i also personally own the ETF, VTIP.

Now, take this with a grain of salt,, I was able to place a buy order for some admiral shares with only $80 cash in my account. So I don't know in what way that would have failed spectacularly when i didn't meet the minimum.

Hi Easy Rhino, thanks for the review.

Does Saturna offer access to the Vanguard Target Retirement funds? Since the funds automatically rebalance, they're my preferred option--I wouldn't have to pay additional transaction fees to manually rebalance between stock and bond funds. Specifically, do they offer access to VTTSX, VFIFX, VFORX, VTHRX, VTWNX, VTENX, and VTINX?

And, if I set my Saturna brokerage account to automatically reinvest dividends, would there be a $14.95 transaction fee each time a dividend is reinvested, or does that happen free of charge?

Thanks for your help.

boobinson

Post by boobinson » Thu May 29, 2014 12:32 pm

buffalo wrote:
Easy Rhino wrote:And, if I set my Saturna brokerage account to automatically reinvest dividends, would there be a $14.95 transaction fee each time a dividend is reinvested, or does that happen free of charge?

It says in their Brokerage Fee Schedule that it's $1 per event.

indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:52 pm

It looks like American Century mutual funds have no transaction fee at Saturna. Some of their funds might be worthwhile considering when the account is started small

ACITX (TIPS fund) ER 0.47%
BIGRX (Income & Growth) ER 0.68%
BEGQX (Equity Growth) ER 0.68%
My signature has been deleted.

JacobyTT

Post by JacobyTT » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Is there any clarity on:

1. the cost for trading a Vanguard fun? ($14.95 or $14.95 + $10?)
2. whether Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are available?
3. whether admiral shares are available without a $10,000 minimum investment?

TYIA

boobinson

Post by boobinson » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:21 am

JacobyTT wrote:Is there any clarity on:

1. the cost for trading a Vanguard fun? ($14.95 or $14.95 + $10?)
2. whether Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are available?
3. whether admiral shares are available without a $10,000 minimum investment?

TYIA

1. The cost for trading a Vanguard fund is $14.95.
2. Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are available.
3. I don't know how to check, but admiral shares should require a $10,000 minimum investment regardless of broker.

JacobyTT

Post by JacobyTT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:37 pm

boobinson wrote:1. The cost for trading a Vanguard fund is $14.95.
2. Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are available.
3. I don't know how to check, but admiral shares should require a $10,000 minimum investment regardless of broker.

FYI I placed an order to trade the full amount in my account to buy VFIFX. Saturna modified it to withold $24.95 which I assume is their commission. I assume the trade will be executed today.

Does anyone with Saturna track the account on Mint? Mint won't recognize my Saturna credentials.

boobinson

Post by boobinson » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:12 am

JacobyTT wrote:Does anyone with Saturna track the account on Mint? Mint won't recognize my Saturna credentials.

In Mint, add account "NetExchange Client". For Financial Organization Number, enter "PEC".

Drain

Post by Drain » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:29 am

JacobyTT wrote:FYI I placed an order to trade the full amount in my account to buy VFIFX. Saturna modified it to withold $24.95 which I assume is their commission.

Sounds like a $14.95 commission plus a $10.00 additional fee. Hm.
Darin

sippyCUP

Post by sippyCUP » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:15 pm

I guess I'm bumping a couple month old thread, but I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether Saturna would be a good choice for me.

Seems like a lot of people are treating HSA's as bonus 401k's and paying for med expenses out of pocket, which is not bad per se, but my situation is a little different. I don't plan on making any money for the next 3 years as I gear up to go back to school for a graduate degree, so I will probably need to tap the HSA money at some point, unless I want to sell equity from my taxable account (I don't really).

So my initial plan was to get the Saturna account, invest in Vanguard BND, and then trade if I need to pay for significant medical expenses - say, $500-1000 and up. I can handle copays out of pocket. If they were to offer check/ATM I could then pay my significant bills using that, but since they don't I'll probably need to ACH/wire out to my checking account and pay from there.

So question 1, and this may be dumb: If I sell my bonds, ACH to my checking, and then pay for my meds/surgery/whatever, how does the IRS/Saturna know that I'm using the distributions for qualified expenses? In other words, will they let me do this? I would think so think it's called a Health Savings Account, but I don't want any weird surprises just before I go under the knife.

Question 2: Can I do Q1 without the $75 out free? Looks like posters above say that it's only for trustee-to-trustee (I assume this is HSA acct to another HSA acct?), and not for mailing a check, so I will consider this "solved" but I'll probably verify this version of reality with Saturna before I open an account just to make sure they haven't changed their policy.

Question 3: Are there any other hidden components that are going to screw me as an "invest in something safe and then sell part of it to pay for XYZ major expense" investor? If so I can probably go with one of the HSA's that are more savings acct oriented but I'd rather have the option to invest.

Thanks very much,
Eric

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:13 pm

how does the IRS/Saturna know that I'm using the distributions for qualified expenses? In other words, will they let me do this?

They take your word for it unless the IRS audits you. Keep the necessary documentation on what you paid out of your HSA.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Looks like I will be opening at account at Saturna. I will contribute once a year and purchase a mutual fund /ETF once a year. This seems like the best deal at the moment.

PS Remember to keep documentation on any out of pocket medical expenses even if you are not going to be using your hsa in 2014 to pay for them. You can reimburse yourself for those expenses in future years.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Drain wrote:
JacobyTT wrote:FYI I placed an order to trade the full amount in my account to buy VFIFX. Saturna modified it to withold $24.95 which I assume is their commission.

The $10 additional fee is for Vanguard only. I spoke to them on the phone, the reason is Vanguard doesn't reimburse them for mailing prospectus etc like the other fund companies do. Another way Vanguard keeps costs down.

I like the Fidelity Spartan TIPS fund at Saturna since I am in a state that taxes HSA earnings.

SobeCane

Post by SobeCane » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:58 pm

I was given the following list of fund families have entered into agreements with Pershing and Saturna Brokerage Services for zero commission. Does anyone know if any of these fund families offer a Total Stock Market or S&P 500 fund with low expense ratios?

Alger
    Allianz2
    American Century
    Appleseed
    Ariel
    Aston
    Baron
    Blackrock
    Buffalo
    Calamos
    Century
    Chase
    Double Line
    Dreyfus
    DWS
    Entrepreneur
    Federated
    Franklin Templeton
    Gabelli
    Guinness Atkinson
    Harbor
    Harding Loevner
    Intrepid
    Invesco/Aim
    Ivy
    JP Morgan
    Leuthold
    Loomis Sayles2
    Mainstay
    Managers
    Matthews
    Morgan Stanley
    Motley Fool
    Muhlenkamp
    Munder
    Needham
    Neuberger Berman
    Nuveen
    Parnassus
    Pax World
    Permanent
    Perritt
    Pimco2
    ProFunds
    Putnam
    Robeco
    Royce
    T. Rowe Price
    TCW Galileo
    Third Avenue
    Tocqueville
    USAA
    VacEck
    Villere Balanced
    Wells Fargo Advantage

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:48 pm

I got a PM with a question about this account, and I thought I'd share. Since I'm in California, I need to worry about capital gains for state tax purposes. Saturna offers several different methods of lot identification when selling, including individual lot selection.

Also, I looked at a few companies in the "no fee" mutual fund list, even though I had previously burned out on it, and didn't find any really compelling mutual funds. Just a few, because I have to enter the ticker to see if a specific fund is no-fee.

For instance, Dreyfus has two SP500 mutual funds. DSPIX has a 0.2% expense ratio, but is will have a transaction fee at Saturna. PEOPX has a 0.5% expense ratio, and it looks like it is part of their no fee program. (although I'd need to receive a prospectus before I could review the order, lol).

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

sippyCUP wrote:So my initial plan was to get the Saturna account, invest in Vanguard BND, and then trade if I need to pay for significant medical expenses - say, $500-1000 and up. I can handle copays out of pocket. If they were to offer check/ATM I could then pay my significant bills using that, but since they don't I'll probably need to ACH/wire out to my checking account and pay from there.

You may want to think about a simpler approach. What I do is treat my cash-HSA, the one that comes directly from my employer, as a fund available for both small medical expenses not worth tracking for eternity, and as an easily-tapped emergency fund of last resort. I keep a few thousand dollars in the cash HSA linked to the debit card. I keep the excess with a different custodian where it is invested in Vanguard funds for the long term. Like this, if you do decide you need to tap into the HSA you don't have to mess with the complex and potentially costly transactions.

godswrath

Post by godswrath » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Is the general consensus that this is the best current HSA custodian? It seems to be the lowest fees if you plan on making just one trade per year-- $14.95 to $24.95). Any reason why I should consider the higher priced alternatives? I'd be interested in using Vanguard funds.

Thanks in advance.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:58 pm

Welcome! May I suggest taking a look at this thread: Recommend a custodian for individual HSA account
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

JacobyTT

Post by JacobyTT » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:35 pm

godswrath wrote:Is the general consensus that this is the best current HSA custodian? It seems to be the lowest fees if you plan on making just one trade per year-- $14.95 to $24.95). Any reason why I should consider the higher priced alternatives? I'd be interested in using Vanguard funds.

Thanks in advance.

For some reason it's not a consensus. I spent a while trying to figure out why it's not and couldn't figure it out. IMO it is the best custodian for once/year buy-and-holders.

godswrath

Post by godswrath » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:50 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Welcome! May I suggest taking a look at this thread: Recommend a custodian for individual HSA account

Thanks! I just signed up, but have been lurking for years! I checked out the thread you linked. Unfortunatly they are focused on the best HSA custodian for medical payouts (ie acutally using the account to pay your medical bills). For that, I do realize Alliant seems to be the best. However, I'm interested in the best for investing, and Alliant does not appear to fit that bill.

JacobyTT wrote:
godswrath wrote:Is the general consensus that this is the best current HSA custodian? It seems to be the lowest fees if you plan on making just one trade per year-- $14.95 to $24.95). Any reason why I should consider the higher priced alternatives? I'd be interested in using Vanguard funds.

Thanks in advance.

For some reason it's not a consensus. I spent a while trying to figure out why it's not and couldn't figure it out. IMO it is the best custodian for once/year buy-and-holders.

Great, Thanks JacobyTT. I thought the same thing--that Saturna appears to be the best for 1 trade per year. I plan on contributing the maximum once a year, and using the account as a retirement savings fund. I'll be interested in using mainly vanguard funds (EFT, most likely).

I'll continue to look around to be sure Saturna is my best bet. The only advantage I can see with using another HSA custodian is to get access to TDAmeritrade or to do multiple trades per year.

Any other opinions? Want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks!

MossySF

Post by MossySF » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:01 pm

SobeCane wrote:I was given the following list of fund families have entered into agreements with Pershing and Saturna Brokerage Services for zero commission. Does anyone know if any of these fund families offer a Total Stock Market or S&P 500 fund with low expense ratios? ...

Off the top of my head, Dreyfus and T.Rowe Price from that list have a few index funds with OK ERs (0.30-.40ish).

bogleherik

Post by bogleherik » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 pm

mikep wrote:
Drain wrote:

The $10 additional fee is for Vanguard only. I spoke to them on the phone, the reason is Vanguard doesn't reimburse them for mailing prospectus etc like the other fund companies do. Another way Vanguard keeps costs down.

I like the Fidelity Spartan TIPS fund at Saturna since I am in a state that taxes HSA earnings.

The additional $10 is kind of a bummer but I guess not a deal breaker. I too was looking to invest in VFIFX after moving over from HSA Bank. So would it be $24.95 plus $1 or $2 for the annual dividend and capital gains distributions reinvestment?

What would be my easiest method for leaving HSA Bank and moving to Saturna? Sell my TDA investments and transfer them back to HSA Bank. Sign up for Saturna. EFT my funds from HSA Bank to Saturna? I don't think I have HSA Bank checks. I doubt it, but is there any way to avoid the $25 account closing fee?

Then after the Saturna account is open, am I able to have direct deposits into Saturna to be held in a money market or other account until I am ready to make my one trade of the year?

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Note that the vanguard ETF's have just the regular 14.95 commission.

Also, at mossysf's mention of T Rowe Price, it seems that their SP500 fund, PREIX is listed as no fee and has an ER of 0.28%. Their bond fund, PBDIX, is also on the no fee program with an ER of 0.3%

I say it 'seems' like they're on the no fee program because I don't have enough cash in the account to proceed further in the buy transaction.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:46 am

bogleherik wrote:
mikep wrote:
Drain wrote:

The additional $10 is kind of a bummer but I guess not a deal breaker. I too was looking to invest in VFIFX after moving over from HSA Bank. So would it be $24.95 plus $1 or $2 for the annual dividend and capital gains distributions reinvestment?

What would be my easiest method for leaving HSA Bank and moving to Saturna? Sell my TDA investments and transfer them back to HSA Bank. Sign up for Saturna. EFT my funds from HSA Bank to Saturna? I don't think I have HSA Bank checks. I doubt it, but is there any way to avoid the $25 account closing fee?

Then after the Saturna account is open, am I able to have direct deposits into Saturna to be held in a money market or other account until I am ready to make my one trade of the year?
I believe that you can just transfer the assets directly. I would contact Saturna.

G-Force

Post by G-Force » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:45 am

Are folks able to connect to their Saturna brokerage accounts using Quicken Direct Connect? Do they charge for this service?

godswrath

Post by godswrath » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:31 pm

I notice the HSA Application states a required $100 intial deposit into one of Saturna's mutual funds. Does this mean I have to sink $100 into one? Ideally I want to put the $3,300 cap into vanguard ETFs through their brokerage.

I'm going to call to ask on Monday, but figured I'd ask to see if anyone who's gone through the application process already knows.

Thanks in advance.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:17 am

If you are opening a brokerage account you don't need to put anything into one of their mutual funds.

godswrath

Post by godswrath » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:42 pm

Could someone with a Saturna account tell me how to go about funding the account? Do you go straight to "Trading Stocks" and the money will be ACH'ed from bank? Or are you supposed to fund some sort of sweep account (like Vanguard's Money Market)? If so, where do you go to fund this account?

Thanks in advance,

Gods

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:55 am

On my initial funding I just mailed a check with the other paperwork. The last two years I have just done an ACH transfer. I did this years funding on Jan 2 but when entering the amount, I missed the decimal point. So instead of $4.250.00 I was transferring $425,000. Saw that on the confirmation email. Luckily, that had the steps to cancel the transaction so cancelled without a problem and redid the correct transfer.

Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:45 pm

godswrath wrote:Could someone with a Saturna account tell me how to go about funding the account? Do you go straight to "Trading Stocks" and the money will be ACH'ed from bank? Or are you supposed to fund some sort of sweep account (like Vanguard's Money Market)? If so, where do you go to fund this account?

The money sits in a cash sweep money market fund, I provided a list in the first post. You deposit by mailing a check, or you can do an ACH transfer (you need to initiate it by phone)