Citi Study: Rich Families Hoarding Cash

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Citi Study: Rich Families Hoarding Cash

Post by EternalOptimist »

A recent study by Citi Private Bank found that wealthy families have about 39% of their assets in cash. Guess they're in the preservation mode?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101157290
"When nothing goes right....go left"
YttriumNitrate

Re: Citi Study: Rich Families Hoarding Cash

Post by YttriumNitrate »

So they surveyed people who have a lot of money and keep that money at Citi Private Bank. I'm sorry, but that second part makes me not give a rat's a#$ how those people are investing their money.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Market timing until the next crash?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Maybe they always had 39% of assets in cash? Maybe they just moved bonds to cash? Maybe this is not news?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Ged

Post by Ged »

abuss368 wrote:Market timing until the next crash?
Or using active managers who are doing market timing.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

No willingness or need to take risk.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Gleevec

Post by Gleevec »

They don't tell you anything about the age distribution. If you are a multimillionaire retiree, with ample retirement savings, why would you take any risk.

If you've already won the game, why play again and risk losing?

Plus, increased taxes on capital gains makes the risk/reward ratio on investment in stocks less favorable; and bonds are not a safe place to park money currently with the Fed winding down
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Dumb article. Irrelevant to me as I am not that rich. I suspect a conflict of interest as it sounds as if they want to induce these families to invest more in stocks--does Citi Private Bank offer more than checking accounts, I wonder? Which kinds of investments are more profitable for them?
The families were also asked if U.S. stocks were more likely to rise or fall 10 percent over the coming year. Some 65 percent expected a gain. "What does this all suggest?" Wieting asked. "In our view, under-invested bulls."
Does Wieting, then, advocate investing based on one's personal prediction of the next year's stock market return? If 65% of these families said "We think the Panthers will beat the 49ers but we have not placed any bet on the game," would he criticize them for that and call them "under-invested Panther fans?"

P.S. I don't follow sports, just pulled the team names up with Google so if it's actually a game that has already taken place and the outcome is known, well... that's just a dumb mistake, not a feeble attempt at humor.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

A lot of cash that is losing money every single day to inflation.
dan23

Post by dan23 »

I'm not sure this survey says something about the rich, just something about citi's private wealth clients. The tiger 21 survey they mentioned found little cash holdings (though that group is 10m min, 75m average and the type of people who are willing to pay 30K/yr to belong to such a group).

Also, I believe the 25m min for citi private bank is false though I may be wrong on this - citi offers its private banking to lower net worth people than would qualify by net worth in certain fields - I know they offer private banking to law firm associates who may have negative net worth while clients (not 100% that that and this are the same private banking though): https://www.privatebank.citibank.com/ou ... ciates.htm
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

This is one reason I don't think we are in a stock market bubble. A lot of folks still have fresh memories of the 2000-2002 and 2008-2009 bear markets. There is a lot of cash out there that could continue to fuel a stock market rally. And I expect to see a continuation of the rotation from bonds to stocks.

So even though I am fairly optimistic about the US and International Stock Markets, I am continuing a program of mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds. Next week, I plan to make another purchase into a bond fund. So my personal money flow right now favors bonds over stocks. I am zigging a bit with my money while others are zagging. Quite often, individual investors do the wrong thing.
A fool and his money are good for business.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

nedsaid wrote:This is one reason I don't think we are in a stock market bubble. A lot of folks still have fresh memories of the 2000-2002 and 2008-2009 bear markets. There is a lot of cash out there that could continue to fuel a stock market rally. And I expect to see a continuation of the rotation from bonds to stocks.

So even though I am fairly optimistic about the US and International Stock Markets, I am continuing a program of mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds. Next week, I plan to make another purchase into a bond fund. So my personal money flow right now favors bonds over stocks. I am zigging a bit with my money while others are zagging. Quite often, individual investors do the wrong thing.
Excellent post. I am doing a little of the same right now too. New cash is going a little more into the bond funds to bring them back to the target allocation. I am not selling equities for bonds as I always deploy new cash in the accumulation phase. We are using Total Bond Index and Intermediate Term Tax Exempt. What bond funds are you rebalancing back into?
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

nisiprius wrote:Dumb article. Irrelevant to me as I am not that rich. I suspect a conflict of interest as it sounds as if they want to induce these families to invest more in stocks--...
This is what the lead alone would tell me (besides not to read further, this after all being CNBC): "A new survey of family offices by Citi finds that the wealthy are cash heavy—meaning they may fall short of the investment returns they're expecting."

Thing is, most people like to read about the rich.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Abuss, I am buying into the Vanguard Total Bond Market and the Vanguard TIPS fund at my workplace. I do this as part of my regular investing program. I also invest in an International Bond Fund at work which in 2013 actually had a positive return. That was the only bond fund I owned that went up last year.

At my favorite mutual fund company, I have rebalanced mostly into TIPS and into an Investment Grade Intermediate Term Bond Fund. I am rebalancing in lesser amounts into GNMA and International Bonds.

At a Brokerage IRA, I have been taking my dividends and buying into an Investment Grade Intermediate Term Bond Fund. The particular fund is pretty well known.

The point is not the particular funds but the types of funds. With TIPS down 9% in 2013, they look like a good place to put these funds. I have always favored the investment grade bonds in the Intermediate Maturity range.

At Treasury Direct, I am also buying I-Bonds as I am able.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Dumb article. Irrelevant to me as I am not that rich. I suspect a conflict of interest as it sounds as if they want to induce these families to invest more in stocks--...
This is what the lead alone would tell me (besides not to read further, this after all being CNBC): "A new survey of family offices by Citi finds that the wealthy are cash heavy—meaning they may fall short of the investment returns they're expecting."
Ah, the words! Ah, the emotions! They make falling short of investment returns sound as bad as falling short of the retirement goals.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Victoria, I have the mental image of the skier crashing and burning on ABC's Wide World of Sports. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Warren Buffett probably has much as half these people combined and he is not hoarding cash
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

abuss368 wrote:A lot of cash that is losing money every single day to inflation.
This is really a non-issue - especially for the wealthy. While that money may be losing 1% per year to inflation, their other funds are more than making up for it. And they have some truly dry powder - in case both stocks and bonds tank due to rising rates.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
richard

Post by richard »

Call_Me_Op wrote:
abuss368 wrote:A lot of cash that is losing money every single day to inflation.
This is really a non-issue - especially for the wealthy. While that money may be losing 1% per year to inflation, their other funds are more than making up for it. And they have some truly dry powder - in case both stocks and bonds tank due to rising rates.
This is why the wealthy do so well - they know things others don't, such as the likelihood of rising rates.
Topic Author
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Gleevec wrote:They don't tell you anything about the age distribution. If you are a multimillionaire retiree, with ample retirement savings, why would you take any risk.

If you've already won the game, why play again and risk losing?

Plus, increased taxes on capital gains makes the risk/reward ratio on investment in stocks less favorable; and bonds are not a safe place to park money currently with the Fed winding down
I think this is the point, this less about investing per se and more about managing wealth.
"When nothing goes right....go left"
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable). See: Forum Policy
UNACCEPTABLE TOPICS

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.