What's Your up to the minute AA?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

What's Your up to the minute AA?

Post by TheTimeLord »

I do my Tax Advantaged AA weekly out of habit. Here is my current AA sans a 10%-15% position in Wellington.
(1/4/2014)
Domestic Equity - 30.41%
International Developed Markets - 20.53%
Emerging Market - 4.86%
REIT - 9.83%
TIPS - 5.14%
Total Bond - 9.42%
Cash - 19.82%
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
TimeRunner

Re: What's Your up to the minute AA?

Post by TimeRunner »

Google spreadsheet is handy for a daily status report. See GoogleFinance("ticker_symbol") functions, as well as other financial functions.

Help sheet: https://support.google.com/drive/table/25273?hl=en
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

TimeRunner wrote:Google spreadsheet is handy for a daily status report. See GoogleFinance("ticker_symbol") functions, as well as other financial functions.

Thanks, I may look into that in the future. Right now I am good with my spreadsheet.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

January 1, 2014

Large 33.5(goal 34)
Extended market 19.25(18)
International 9.25(10)
International small 9.5 (8)
Fixed income 28.5 (30)

I didn't rebalance but buying all fixed income with new money
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

Updated my IRA since I did my 2014 contribution, but other values are from 1/1.

Domestic Equity - 66.49%
International - 20.33%
Bonds - 13.18%

Age 25
Last edited by ajcp on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

28% US stocks
27% Foreign stocks
09% TREA
36% bonds

Style-grid
15-15-15
13-13-08
10-08-03
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Dunno. I only check quarterly. Will get my statements in the mail this week.
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I check my up to the minute asset allocation quarterly.
Gordon
dbr

Post by dbr »

gkaplan wrote:I check my up to the minute asset allocation quarterly.
Alternatively you can look at your quarterly update again as every minute goes by.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

G-Money wrote:Dunno. I only check quarterly. Will get my statements in the mail this week.
Mail?
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
G-Money wrote:Dunno. I only check quarterly. Will get my statements in the mail this week.
Mail?
Yup. You cannot begin to imagine how little interest I take in all those threads about password security. :)
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

I have no idea what my up to the minute AA is. I check once a year on my birthday. It's not my birthday, so I don't care.

I wish the NSA understood this, non-actionable intelligence is just random noise.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Spirit Rider wrote:I have no idea what my up to the minute AA is. I check once a year on my birthday. It's not my birthday, so I don't care.

I wish the NSA understood this, non-actionable intelligence is just random noise.
Why is it not actionable especially if you are using bands or allow for there is a market correction on average every 18 months.
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

USA Equities - 45
International Equities - 20
Fixed Income - 35
Don't reach for yield.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I don't get the point of an AA that leaves out taxable, I bonds, checking and savings accounts, and, last but not least, Wellington. Is that an aa rather than an AA, or is it just an A?
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

U.S. Equities 50%
International 25%
Bonds 25%
Code Commit

Post by Code Commit »

Just the retirement portfolio which is almost all tax-advantaged.

45% US stocks
33% Foreign stocks
5% REIT (US only)
17% Fixed income

Style-grid
16-17-16
11-12-07
09-08-04
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

sscritic wrote:I don't get the point of an AA that leaves out taxable, I bonds, checking and savings accounts, and, last but not least, Wellington. Is that an aa rather than an AA, or is it just an A?
Probably for very unboglehead reasons. The taxable is simply 100% equity beyond annual max I Bond purchases and maintaining a 12 month emergency fund so I don't currently adjust it to the AA. The Wellington is a holding I have just decided to have and let it do whatever it does. I like it's historical performance and the AA mix but treat it as a separate entity. So the only assets being managed to a specific AA target are the tax advantaged accounts sans Wellington. So yes it is probably an aa. That said when I throw everything in surprisingly it stays in the 65/35 to 70/30 range. Which is my target.
midareff

Post by midareff »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
sscritic wrote:I don't get the point of an AA that leaves out taxable, I bonds, checking and savings accounts, and, last but not least, Wellington. Is that an aa rather than an AA, or is it just an A?
Probably for very unboglehead reasons. The taxable is simply 100% equity beyond annual max I Bond purchases and maintaining a 12 month emergency fund so I don't currently adjust it to the AA. The Wellington is a holding I have just decided to have and let it do whatever it does. I like it's historical performance and the AA mix but treat it as a separate entity. So the only assets being managed to a specific AA target are the tax advantaged accounts sans Wellington. So yes it is probably an aa. That said when I throw everything in surprisingly it stays in the 65/35 to 70/30 range. Which is my target.

I don't get the value of an AA that isn't inclusive either. I spreadsheet everything and let it calculate everything from individual AA variations in $ and % by holding to draw down rates, to expected equity dividend distributions, to aggregate bond portfolio duration, distribution yields, real return vs. rolling 12 month CPI, and much more. If you want to manage your stuff with partial data, excluding this and that, go ahead. Different strokes. When M* updates the day's prices I can export and get comprehensively updated numbers in under 30 seconds any day or month or when ever. As of Friday's close, .......... 1/3/2014

45.93 equities (22.57 domestic, 16.30 international, 7.06 reits)
51.25 bonds
2.82 cash

Weighted aggregate bond duration 4.55 years, current aggregate distribution yield 3.65%, real weighted one year bond return -.89% on 1.49% rolling 12 month CPI-U, portfolio cost .16%, draw down as % of income 28.75% which is a draw down rate of 2.44%. I could go on and bore you with much, much, more detail, but as Maria Barteroma is fond of saying; ... "Do you know where your money is?" .... Ignoring the fuller picture OP, you are just telling yourself stories as you want to hear them, rather than attempting comprehensive portfolio management.

Almost every number will be different after closing tomorrow, distribution yields and thusly derived statistics change monthly.
Last edited by midareff on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Age 68

U.S. stocks 33.4%
U.S. REIT 4.9%
Int'l stocks 13.6%
Bonds/cash 48.1%

EDITED to add age.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
columbia

Post by columbia »

50% TSM
25% TISM
25% TBM
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

midareff wrote: I don't get the value of an AA that isn't inclusive either. Ignoring the fuller picture OP, you are just telling yourself stories as you want to hear them, rather than attempting comprehensive portfolio management.

Almost every number will be different after closing tomorrow, distribution yields and thusly derived statistics change monthly.
I totally get why not everyone will understand why I am doing things the way I am but I am very comfortable with it. I will walkthrough some of it. My emergency fund is to be a set size (12 months) and the options are specific to make sure it is properly liquid and low risk. I do not plan to vary the size and make up of the emergency fund because of anything going on in my investment portfolio so it is essentially fixed. The Wellington investment is an investment I have made in a fund I have faith in continuing their track record which if it holds is a return rate I would be very pleased with. I am comfortable with it's makeup and it would be pointless to hold if I was to adjust other investments around it because of it's existance. To some extent it is an experiment thus it should not influence anything else. The investment in I Bonds is targeted to take care of an expense I may be incurring within 4 to 6 years. Just and efficient and conservative way to set money aside that may be spent for a specific purpose. If that expense does not come to pass then it becomes part of my taxable account. My taxable account hold the assets I have targeted to use to fund my retirement prior to collecting SS or my pension. I choose to put those into equity indexes for their tax efficiency and growth potential. Once they reach an adedquate size I will cash them in and work on using zero income years to transfer my regular 401K and IRA accounts to my Roth IRA before drawing my SS and pension. That leaves my tax advantaged accounts which are for supplementing my income once I am retired and drawing both SS and my pension. The tax advantaged accounts will be an essential part of my income stream for the rest of my life and as such I am trying to manage with an appropriate AA. While I may see it as a lid for every pot others may see it as disconnected and random, which is their prerogative. But this is a simple outlining of how I view it.
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

This thread interested me by title. I was curious to see how bond allocation corresponded with age (I am 53 and this year adjusted to a 50:50 AA). I noticed that nobody mentioned their age along with their AA.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Offshore, I am older than you are, but my bond allocation is way less than yours.
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

livesoft, this is the kind of information I find interesting. Thanks for sharing. I suspect the adage "age in bonds" is too conservative for most. But "age in bonds" leaves gaps in understanding why people choose their AA.

Larry Swedroe has a phrase that's apropos here: "Never take more risk than you have the ability, willingness or need to take." When we share our AA we typically don't reveal the "need" aspect (I'm way behind on my savings). Nor we reveal the "ability" aspect (I sleep just fine at "age minus 30"). Knowing someone's AA in bonds will not reveal if that person has the need or just the willingness.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Offshore wrote:This thread interested me by title. I was curious to see how bond allocation corresponded with age (I am 53 and this year adjusted to a 50:50 AA). I noticed that nobody mentioned their age along with their AA.
You and I are in the same ballpark as far as age. Personally I can't see being 50/50 before age 65 or 70. But then again I have always been a stock guy with a bit of a bond phobia. That said the older I get the more I hear the siren call of bonds. I think another factor that plays into at least for me is what kind of guaranteed income am I expecting from SS and pensions. I think having a large portion of expenses covered SS and a pension makes some people more willing and able to take an addition amount of risk.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I like Swedroe's need, ability, and willingness phrase as well. I also like the "can you stomach a 50% loss in your equities", too. Those 2 phrases together can really pin down an asset allocation for folks that have some experiences.

My willingness to take risk is rather high. I love risk. I am not emotional about it. I have no problem tax-loss harvesting and selling losers. I have no problem with short-term trading possibilities.

My ability to take risk is rather high as well. We have good jobs and a decent sized portfolio. History has shown us that big losses are recoverable in a few years.

My need to take risk is moderate. We could probably get by on a 2% portfolio sustained withdrawal rate after we ditch the kids which won't be too long now.

So I don't see my portfolio having a higher fraction of bonds than it does now. That is, this is the most bonds I ever see being in the portfolio.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

Offshore wrote:This thread interested me by title. I was curious to see how bond allocation corresponded with age (I am 53 and this year adjusted to a 50:50 AA). I noticed that nobody mentioned their age along with their AA.
Huh, hadn't though of that. Added mine.
Taxable, sure. I bonds or Wellington, if I owned them I'd include them. But I don't include my checking and savings, since that is not their purpose for me.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Age 45

US equity 30.6%
Foreign developed 15.2%
Emerging 14.6%
Bonds 39.6%
Longtimelurker

Post by Longtimelurker »

According to the Fidelity Guided Portfolio tool:

US Equity: 38%
Intl Equity: 38%
Bond: 6%
Short Term (iBonds & Cash): 17%

Style Box:
19 - 18 - 17
8 - 8 - 7
8 - 8 - 7

This does not include my restricted stock and stock options.
Stay the course. If you can't resist greed, and fear is proven to be 2x as strong, you are doomed as an investor.
Garco

Post by Garco »

Stocks: 52% (of this, U.S.=72%, International=28%)
TREA: 20% (TIAA Real Estate)
Bonds: 18%
Stable value: 10%
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:...I do my Tax Advantaged AA weekly out of habit...
I admit that I will do it often when the market is in turmoil or I am generally worried, but I try to avoid checking it often. I think I was a better investor in the days before the Internet when all I saw were my quarterly statements.

I could say that my own spreadsheet was last updated in August of 2013, but that's misleading because now that I have all of my holdings at Vanguard it is awfully easy to peek at the asset allocation the calculate for me, and I couldn't resist the temptation to trim my stock allocation back down to target a few months ago.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Jena

Post by Jena »

Here’s my target asset allocation. I rebalance annually and just completed that process, so I’m currently on target. I track the performance of my investments and my asset allocation using Google spreadsheets, so my information is always current.

US Large Cap: 42%
US Small Cap: 15%
Foreign Equity - Developed Markets: 15%
Foreign Equity - Emerging Markets: 5%
Fixed: 23%

Fixed consists of short-term bonds and all cash other than my emergency fund. I’m 56 and my plan is to ratchet up Fixed by a set % each year so that I’m at 35% by the time I retire. I’ll hold Fixed at 35% until I start collecting Social Security, at which point I’ll reassess my Fixed allocation. The 35% is designed to cover 10 years of retirement spending. My assumption is that 10 years should be enough time to recover from a bad bear market baring something truly catastrophic. I’m not a big fan of rules of thumb like “age in bonds”. Why should a 25 year old who is saving for retirement have anything in bonds? Just invest everything in equity and don’t look at it for the next ten years. For older folks, better to do a detailed retirement budget and then figure what you need to have in low risk investments in order to survive a bad bear market and keep to your plan. Even though my portfolio could drop fairly dramatically in a bad bear market with a 65% equity allocation (once I retire), I think knowing that I have enough to continue to live comfortably for the next 10 years without selling equity will go a long way to helping me avoid panic.

Jennifer
midareff

Post by midareff »

66, retired 51% bonds
midareff

Post by midareff »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
midareff wrote: I don't get the value of an AA that isn't inclusive either. Ignoring the fuller picture OP, you are just telling yourself stories as you want to hear them, rather than attempting comprehensive portfolio management.

I totally get why not everyone will understand why I am doing things the way I am but I am very comfortable with it. I will walkthrough some of it. My emergency fund is to be a set size (12 months) and the options are specific to make sure it is properly liquid and low risk. I do not plan to vary the size and make up of the emergency fund because of anything going on in my investment portfolio so it is essentially fixed. The Wellington investment is an investment I have made in a fund I have faith in continuing their track record which if it holds is a return rate I would be very pleased with. I am comfortable with it's makeup and it would be pointless to hold if I was to adjust other investments around it because of it's existance. To some extent it is an experiment thus it should not influence anything else. The investment in I Bonds is targeted to take care of an expense I may be incurring within 4 to 6 years. Just and efficient and conservative way to set money aside that may be spent for a specific purpose. If that expense does not come to pass then it becomes part of my taxable account. My taxable account hold the assets I have targeted to use to fund my retirement prior to collecting SS or my pension. I choose to put those into equity indexes for their tax efficiency and growth potential. Once they reach an adedquate size I will cash them in and work on using zero income years to transfer my regular 401K and IRA accounts to my Roth IRA before drawing my SS and pension. That leaves my tax advantaged accounts which are for supplementing my income once I am retired and drawing both SS and my pension. The tax advantaged accounts will be an essential part of my income stream for the rest of my life and as such I am trying to manage with an appropriate AA. While I may see it as a lid for every pot others may see it as disconnected and random, which is their prerogative. But this is a simple outlining of how I view it.
There are many roads to Dublin Starbux. If it works for you and you sleep well at night with it, that's great. Wellington and Wellesley are great funds and I owned them both at one time, until I realized in taxable I could get better total overall results with an index and IT municipals. Good luck with your plan and have a great retirement.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

ajcp wrote: Taxable, sure. I bonds or Wellington, if I owned them I'd include them. But I don't include my checking and savings, since that is not their purpose for me.
I have $20k in Prime Money Market. I can use it to buy Vanguard funds the same day. I can also write a check to pay my property taxes. Vanguard included it in my annual return.

I have $20k in a checking account at my bank. I can use it to buy Vanguard funds the same day. I can also write a check to pay my property taxes. Why would I not include it in my annual return?

Cash is an investment. The OP's AA even included 19.82% in cash, and that was just in his Tax Advantaged accounts. Purpose has nothing to do with it. I have no idea what purposes you need to have before you count your money (I don't recall Scrooge McDuck needing a purpose to go diving in gold). Either you have an asset or you don't. I have a money in a taxable account. It is not for retirement; it is for my grandchildren to inherit. Should I not include it? I have money in tax advantaged accounts; it is not for retirement; it is for my children to inherit. Should I not include it? I include everything when I look at my asset allocation. No, actually I don't; I don't include my pensions and Social security even though they serve a very useful purpose.

[Usual disclaimer: I lie on the internet, but I won't tell you were it is.]
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Preferred AA - 70/30
Current AA - 68/32

Dom. Equity - 74 - Preferred 70 (+4)
Intl. Equity - 26 - Preferred 30 (-4) some rebalancing is in order (if only Emerging Mkts would wake up!)
Fixed - 55 - Total Bond
45 - Treasuries (though I'd wager it is much higher since more than 40% of Total Bond is essentially some form of Treasury or agency debt) I am counting my I bonds in this bucket.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
berntson

Post by berntson »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:Google spreadsheet is handy for a daily status report. See GoogleFinance("ticker_symbol") functions, as well as other financial functions.

Thanks, I may look into that in the future. Right now I am good with my spreadsheet.
Excel has a similar functions for retrieving market data. I bet other software packages do as well!
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

50.61% domestic equity
24.84% international equity
24.55% bonds
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

I'm just curious: what's the point of calculating your AA to the 4th decimal point but omitting "10-15%" of your assets?

I rely heavily on bi-monthly payroll contributions to rebalance, so I check regularly:

Bonds and equivalents: 36%
Small-Cap Value: 14%
Value: 7.8%
Total Stock Market: 7.8%
CCFs 4.5%
REITS and equivalents: 4.0%
Total International: 13%
Small-cap international 13%
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

Aptenodytes wrote:I'm just curious: what's the point of calculating your AA to the 4th decimal point but omitting "10-15%" of your assets?

I rely heavily on bi-monthly payroll contributions to rebalance, so I check regularly:

Bonds and equivalents: 36%
Small-Cap Value: 14%
Value: 7.8%
Total Stock Market: 7.8%
CCFs 4.5%
REITS and equivalents: 4.0%
Total International: 13%
Small-cap international 13%
Actually I am excluding closer to 50% if you count taxable accounts. The answer is simple, not sure where the confusion is, I only list my AA for assets that are governed by my AA thus subject to rebalancing. You will find in a long post above I exclude Wellington, Taxable and Emergency Fund for the reasons I outlined.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

sscritic wrote:
ajcp wrote: Taxable, sure. I bonds or Wellington, if I owned them I'd include them. But I don't include my checking and savings, since that is not their purpose for me.
I have $20k in Prime Money Market. I can use it to buy Vanguard funds the same day. I can also write a check to pay my property taxes. Vanguard included it in my annual return.

I have $20k in a checking account at my bank. I can use it to buy Vanguard funds the same day. I can also write a check to pay my property taxes. Why would I not include it in my annual return?

Cash is an investment. The OP's AA even included 19.82% in cash, and that was just in his Tax Advantaged accounts. Purpose has nothing to do with it. I have no idea what purposes you need to have before you count your money (I don't recall Scrooge McDuck needing a purpose to go diving in gold). Either you have an asset or you don't. I have a money in a taxable account. It is not for retirement; it is for my grandchildren to inherit. Should I not include it? I have money in tax advantaged accounts; it is not for retirement; it is for my children to inherit. Should I not include it? I include everything when I look at my asset allocation. No, actually I don't; I don't include my pensions and Social security even though they serve a very useful purpose.

I would suggest people remember Mr. Bogle's AA for taxable and tax advantaged accounts which seemed counterintuitive unless they where for different purposes (some suggested one AA was setup for heirs). So does he have 1, 2 or 3 AAs?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

StarbuxInvestor wrote: I would suggest people remember Mr. Bogle's AA for taxable and tax advantaged accounts which seemed counterintuitive unless they where for different purposes (some suggested one AA was setup for heirs). So does he have 1, 2 or 3 AAs?
Who is Mr. Bogle and why should I care what he does? Is he the guy who thinks social security is an asset? My purpose for having money is so that I can acquire the things that I want to acquire or to give away what I want to give away. To me, that's only one purpose, to allow me to do what I want.
ajcp

Post by ajcp »

sscritic wrote:

You should include whatever you want to include, I'm not saying your way is wrong. But, I don't have 20000 in a money market, or 20% of my tax advantaged in cash. If I did I'd treat those differently. My checking account is just a small buffer to not live paycheck to paycheck, it doesn't get rebalanced, it doesn't grow or shrink in response to changes in my net worth. Plus it's ~1% of my total, so the effort of tracking my return far outweighs the impact it would have, for me.
whadyaknow

Post by whadyaknow »

Age 33

US equity 44%
Foreign developed 18%
Emerging 12%
REIT (US) 6%
Bonds 20% (18% in Muni, 2% BND)
80/20 Stock/Bond
leonard

Post by leonard »

What's the value of a partial AA.

What's the value of a partial AA calculated weekly.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

leonard wrote:What's the value of a partial AA.

What's the value of a partial AA calculated weekly.
What is the value including assets that aren't rebalanced according to an AA in an AA?
What is the value of any specific time period? Historically what is the perfect time period?
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMatt2532

Post by MrMatt2532 »

Age: 20s. My AA and target AA are both "up to the minute" and directly copy and pasted from my google spreadsheet:

Code: Select all

Assett Class	Portfolio Percentage	Target
Treas	0.00%	0.00%
TIPS	0.00%	0.00%
US REIT	4.34%	4.96%
Intl REIT	4.52%	4.96%
CCF	4.60%	4.96%
Gold	4.33%	4.96%
US Mkt	21.62%	19.83%
US SV	21.52%	19.83%
Intl Dev Mkt	15.88%	16.06%
Intl Dev SV	15.20%	16.06%
EM Mkt	3.38%	3.77%
EM SV	3.69%	3.77%
CASH	0.91%	0.86%
Total	100.00%	100.00%
Bracket

Post by Bracket »

80/20 equities/fixed income (age 37)

31% US large/total stock market
18% US small/small value
8% US REIT
14% EAFE
5% small cap int'l
4% EM

9% total bond market index
7% G fund
4% TIPS

Not exactly at, but very close to, my target allocation
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

man, I just checked my spreadsheet this morning because I made an IRA contribution and didn't know where to put it.

And I STILL don't remember my up to the minute AA.

That's what the spreadsheet is for! :beer