Marijuana index funds

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
InvestorNewb

Marijuana index funds

Post by InvestorNewb »

Hello,

In 2014 it will be legal to buy marijuana in Colorado. I think this will be the start of the legalization of the drug across the US, and maybe Canada too.

I'm sure this will come off as a stupid question, but are there any index funds that only have marijuana companies?
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
LowER

Re: Marijuana index funds

Post by LowER »

I'm going to wait until the smoke clears 8-)
Gort

Post by Gort »

InvestorNewb wrote:
I'm sure this will come off as a stupid question
Yep.
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

There's always this one ... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vice_Fund

(which is arguably a pretty [poor --admin LadyGeek] fund anyways)
columbia

Post by columbia »

Since they are violating federal laws, it seems unlikely.
MnD

Post by MnD »

There are numerous single company plays to invest in weed. I'd guess an index fund is less than 12 months out.
In Colorado the medical pot retailers are the ones being granted the general retail licenses come January 1.
So basically an investment in "medical" pot is a proxy for the end of prohibition on pot for all.

http://www.thcbiz.com/marijuana-stocks. ... zl0nx.dpuf
Market data is delayed at least 15 minutes.
CBIS 0.03 ▼0.0027 (-7.71%)
CTH.V CA$0.43 ▼0.020 (-4.44%)
EDXC 0.06 ▲0.0030 (5.00%)
ENDO 0.02 0.0000 (0.00%)
ERBB 0.00 ▼0.0001 (-8.33%)
EXMT 0.00 0.0000 (0.00%)
CANN 1.81 ▼0.19 (-9.50%)
CANV 16.20 ▲0.20 (1.25%)
FSPM 0.27 ▲0.040 (17.39%)
GRNH 0.03 ▼0.0022 (-6.94%)
GWP.L GBX165.50 ▼4.75 (-2.79%)
HEMP 0.01 ▲0.0002 (1.77%)
MCIG 0.09 ▼0.0110 (-10.48%)
MDBX 16.00 ▼1.75 (-9.86%)
MJNA 0.11 0.000 (0.19%)
MWIP 0.02 ▲0.0010 (6.25%)
NVLX 0.13 ▼0.001 (-0.62%)
PHOT 0.09 ▲0.0015 (1.70%)
PLPL 0.48 ▲0.020 (4.35%)
PUGE 0.75 ▲0.023 (3.17%)
RIGH 0.00 0.0000 (0.00%)
RFMK 0.00 ▼0.0001 (-33.33%)
SKTO 0.01 0.0000 (0.00%)
TRTC 0.09 ▼0.0030 (-3.33%)
http://www.thcbiz.com/marijuana-stocks. ... zl0nx.dpuf
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

While it goes against the Bogleheads philosphy, there are some individual stocks out there that are involved with the cannabis industry.

http://marijuanastocks.com/content/list ... ana-stocks

A list of the "best" pot stocks:

http://investorplace.com/2013/11/best-m ... ocks-mjna/

A cautionary note regarding potential scams:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101134656

I guess you could always invest in MO, hasn't there been a rumor around for years that they copywighted names such as Acapulco Gold etc?
http://beta.fool.com/takeoveranalyst/20 ... cks/23401/
Mike
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Wouldn't a marijuana index have to be established first so the mj index funds would have something to track to?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Tyr0ne

Post by Tyr0ne »

InvestorNewb,
You may want to check out Motif Investing, an interesting start up broker that tries to bundle stocks based on hot trends or industries/corners of the market that people like to speculate about. If they don't have a basket now, I'm sure they will soon.
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson
MnD

Post by MnD »

At the end of the year I predict there will be a mini-mania in a number of pot stocks.
The New Years press coverage is going to be non-stop and there will be plenty of analogies drawn to the beginning of the end for pot prohibition.
But which of the few $10 stocks will go to $100 and which of of the penny stocks will go to $5?
That's the hard part........ 8-)

I think the eventual winner is going to be big tobacco.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

This would be a SECTOR fund, not an Index fund, folks...
Attempted new signature...
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Gort wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:
Yep.
plus 2
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

The Wizard wrote:This would be a SECTOR fund, not an Index fund, folks...
What are you smoking? Any cap-weighted fund is an index fund even if it is a sector fund.
ML 59

Post by ML 59 »

A Home Delivery Pizza Index will follow shortly.

Ticker: VHDPI ( .1416ER )
newtonc

Post by newtonc »

Right after the Bryer's Ice Creme!
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

A great business and a great stock are many times not one and the same. And if any single 'pot' company gets large enough there is large systematic risk that the Feds shut it down.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

ofcmetz wrote:
Gort wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:
Yep.
plus 2
Plus 3
core5

Post by core5 »

Philip Morris has beaten the S&P 500 by about 100% in the last 5 years, so I'd say it's not without potential.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Let's take a pause to reflect.

Marijuana is a commodity. The first thing we should expect to see is potstickers futures.

Owning a company which produces, processes, transports or sells gold marijuana is not the same as owning the gold marijuana itself. Furthermore, unlike mined AU, harvested MJ will not last forever unchanged. It resembles sorghum more than noble metals. Also unlike gold, marijuana breeds marijuana. It is not sterile. It is an investment with an expected return.

With the federal government using its prosecutorial discretion not to go after recreational users in Colorado and Washington, wouldn't we expect it to do the same if New York legalizes trading in pot derivatives?

Caution is warranted: one administration's prosecutorial discretion may become the next's moral panic.

PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

The sector ETF for this is HIGH
MnD

Post by MnD »

Standardized THC level laced liquids or waxes for vaporization in E-doobie (vape pen) devices should be a major beneficiary of legalization.
People wouldn't trust such a product bought through the illegal market but it should do very well at the regulated retail level.
Little or no smell, far more concealable and fewer health concerns. They are already being sold in the medical pot retail channels.
But again, how does one translate that into a profitable investment.......

The nightclub district of our city has a take-out restaurant that sells only made to order gourmet hand-cut french fries with many different sauces.
They should do very well after Jan 1. :mrgreen:
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

MnD wrote:Standardized THC level laced liquids or waxes for vaporization in E-doobie (vape pen) devices should be a major beneficiary of legalization.
People wouldn't trust such a product bought through the illegal market but it should do very well at the regulated retail level.
Little or no smell, far more concealable and fewer health concerns. They are already being sold in the medical pot retail channels.
But again, how does one translate that into a profitable investment.......

The nightclub district of our city has a take-out restaurant that sells only made to order gourmet hand-cut french fries with many different sauces.
They should do very well after Jan 1. :mrgreen:
One could short dark alleys. Even short dark alleys could be shorted. Or, one could develop technology to brighten alleys, anticipating that the NIMBY voters will drop their objections.
PJW
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Buy White Castle stock :D
MnD

Post by MnD »

Dutch wrote:Buy White Castle stock :D
And Frito Lay.
Short Nike. They are changing their logo in the Colorado and Washington markets [OT logo removed by admin LadyGeek]
leonard

Post by leonard »

Index fund?

I think you have to roll your own.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

On a slightly more serious note:

I'm not sure the total number of users will increase with legalization. This did not happen in my native country. So, related industry (like the munchies) would not necessarily see an increase.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Dutch wrote:On a slightly more serious note:

I'm not sure the total number of users will increase with legalization. This did not happen in my native country. So, related industry (like the munchies) would not necessarily see an increase.
This is a good point. All the people I know who are really excited about this are already smoking on a daily basis without too much concern for any legal barriers.

Plus, most of Colorado has been pretty relaxed about this from a law enforcement standpoint for many years already.
Topic Author
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

SquawkIdent wrote:
ofcmetz wrote:
Gort wrote:
InvestorNewb wrote:
Yep.
plus 2
Plus 3
It wasn't a stupid question after all; some of the responses have been pretty good actually. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
John3754

Post by John3754 »

core5 wrote:Philip Morris has beaten the S&P 500 by about 100% in the last 5 years, so I'd say it's not without potential.
Tobacco is not a schedule 1 narcotic by federal law...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The comments so far have discussed investing, legality (illegal at US federal level), ignoring the law, off-topic comments, and quite a number of metaphors. I don't see any value to continue, this thread has run its course and is locked. See: Forum Policy
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.