WSJ Bogle Father/Son article

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
livesoft

WSJ Bogle Father/Son article

Post by livesoft »

Here is a bit of a fun read about some things including Bogle's actively-managed Small-Cap Growth Fund:
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1143883302
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: WSJ Bogle Father/Son article

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (news).

You can read the article without a subscription via google: In Bogle Family, It's Either Passive or Aggressive site:wsj.com - Google Search

(livesoft's link works now, but it may not later.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

good article and a good testimony to how family really trumps everything
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

This is a heart warming article. I can relate to it because John Bogle, Sr. is about my father's age. John Bogle Jr. at age 54 is my age. Though I have not had the investing success of either Bogle, Senior or Junior. A very good article. Best wishes to the Bogle family.
A fool and his money are good for business.
steve_14

Post by steve_14 »

The diverging approaches between the Bogles are emblematic of a broader divide separating fans of investing in funds that track market indexes and those who favor investing with active stock pickers.
Last 10 years, annual returns:

Bogle Small Cap Growth Fund: 8.94% (Expense Ratio: 1.35%)
Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index: 10.49% (Expense Ratio: .1%)

I know which side of the divide I'm on!
bondsr4me

Today's WSJ article on the Bogle's'

Post by bondsr4me »

[FYI - I merged this thread into here. --admin LadyGeek]

Nice article today about JB and son. It is good to see that differing investment philosophies between dad and son don't interfere with family, which is IMHO, most important today, I still think dad is right, but I respect son's way too. Happy Thanksgiving to all Bogleheads!
Don
ofcmetz

Re: Today's WSJ article on the Bogle's'

Post by ofcmetz »

This is the title of the article In Bogle Family, It's Either Passive or Aggressive" By Liam Pleven. I searched WSJ Bogle through google and it popped up at the top of the search with a free view of it. I know its been discussed here about the actively managed style of the younger's fund.

I find it pretty amazing the differing investment styles between father and soon. At 1.35% fee, junior's actively managed small cap fund is a bit expensive for my taste. Look's like junior's firm is also running hedge funds as well. I guess the younger bogle will have a better chance of becoming a billionaire with the path he is taking. Good to see dad and son don't let a little thing like investment styles get between them. Life is to short for that.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
WendyW

Re: Today's WSJ article on the Bogle's'

Post by WendyW »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I merged a duplicate thread into here. See my post above on how to read WSJ articles without a subscription (use google - it works for all WSJ articles).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
momar

Post by momar »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

FWIW, WSJ has a $1 Black Friday special for 3 months online access. It was my only purchase today.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Great article on the Bogle family.

Thank you!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Runalong

Bogle v Bogle

Post by Runalong »

[I merged this thread into here. --admin LadyGeek]

I suppose Junior's active approach (link below) has been discussed here before but I tend to bop in and out of this forum sporadically so I may have missed it. While I agree that a passive indexing approach is best for the vast majority of investors I also tend to get the impression that the Bogle doctrine (you can't ever beat the market over the long run) is essentially held by faith, which is to say that it is unfalsifiable. I am one of those people who consistently has been able to beat the market over the past decade but I know that any true-believer Boglehead could come up with numerous responses (cliches?) to explain that away. (Full disclosure, I don't beat the market by a huge amounts but I'm one of those people who keeps at it because I enjoy the game). Come to think of it, my approach probably isn't much different (other than being much more diversified) than that of BOSVX which Larry Swedroe recently touted here.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 1143883302
gkaplan

Re: Bogle v Bogle

Post by gkaplan »

I think this is the third thread that has been started on this article.
Gordon
Runalong

Post by Runalong »

well, help me out then, i looked back to Nov 28 (the date of the article) and didn't see any subject headings that seemed to fit.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I read it at the below link, can not say I saw it in this forum.
http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... px#3492218
Best Wishes, SpringMan
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Runalong wrote:well, help me out then, i looked back to Nov 28 (the date of the article) and didn't see any subject headings that seemed to fit.
I found it. Your thread is now merged with this one.