Rebalancing on Friday

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
umfundi

Rebalancing on Friday

Post by umfundi »

Enough, already. I have decided to rebalance my accounts on Friday. Back to my planned AA of 50/50.

This involves moving only a few percent, since I have a large chunk in VSMGX, which rebalances itself. (If anyone cares, my goal is VSMGX 80%, VFSUX 10%, and VBILX 10%.)

Really, the noise has become unbearable. The latest straw is something from Malkiel that bonds are dangerous and that the markets have fundamentally changed since 2011. I guess I missed that memo.

It's a new market high, I can figure out the moves tomorrow and submit them for Friday execution. Then, I'll have fresh monthly statements on Monday. It feels good to reaffirm my plan.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
VictoriaF

Re: Rebalancing on Friday

Post by VictoriaF »

umfundi wrote:Enough, already. I have decided to rebalance my accounts on Friday. Back to my planned AA of 50/50.

This involves moving only a few percent, since I have a large chunk in VSMGX, which rebalances itself. (If anyone cares, my goal is VSMGX 80%, VFSUX 10%, and VBILX 10%.)

Really, the noise has become unbearable. The latest straw is something from Malkiel that bonds are dangerous and that the markets have fundamentally changed since 2011. I guess I missed that memo.

It's a new market high, I can figure out the moves tomorrow and submit them for Friday execution. Then, I'll have fresh monthly statements on Monday. It feels good to reaffirm my plan.

Keith
But Keith, what if everything crashes and burns on Friday?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

VictoriaF wrote:But Keith, what if everything crashes and burns on Friday?

Victoria
Oh, that's what "Black Friday" means? :oops:

Keith
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

umfundi wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:But Keith, what if everything crashes and burns on Friday?

Victoria
Oh, that's what "Black Friday" means? :oops:

Keith
{giggling}

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Actually, Red Friday
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

umfundi wrote:Enough, already. I have decided to rebalance my accounts on Friday. Back to my planned AA of 50/50.

Keith
Keith, and none of your motive to rebalance is driven by a high PE10 which clearly predicts an imminent crash?

:sharebeer
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

letsgobobby wrote:Keith, and none of your motive to rebalance is driven by a high PE10 which clearly predicts an imminent crash?

:sharebeer
On the contrary, I am protesting the very idea that the tea leaves predict anything that is actionable. Period.

By the way, to time the market you have to be correct twice. If PE10 predicts a crash, what is the indicator to return to the market? It's a bunch of mambo-jumbo, and I am distressed to see respected advisers jumping on the bandwagon.

Which part do people not understand? Your AA is not a knob to fine tune your investments.

Keith
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

I love this. A rebalancing strategy based on Boglehead threads. Malkiel says in an interview that bonds are dangerous and then Dr. Bernstein says to take some risk off the table (stocks). So Keith, I guess you will be selling overvalued stocks to buy dangerous bonds. Even much of Bogleheadism is getting into the category of noise.

Actually, reading Boglehead threads got me thinking about the amount of risk in my portfolio. So I have been doing mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds since July. But I have done it bit by bit and very cautiously.

You probably got a good kick in the pants to motivate you to do what you had already been thinking about. You aren't the only one performing the "rebalancing by the Boglehead thread indicator." I admit to a bit of this myself.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

Keith, wouldn't life be good if everything was in accounts not affected so much by taxes, The we could just do life strategy moderate growth everywhere, not have to rebalance or do anything. But you are a solid poster, have an IPS and you should stick to it as you are doing. Good going.
FFFollower

Post by FFFollower »

umfundi wrote:It's a bunch of mambo-jumbo, and I am distressed to see respected advisers jumping on the bandwagon.

Which part do people not understand? Your AA is not a knob to fine tune your investments.

Keith
+1000
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Hey, I like my knobs. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Calm Man wrote:Keith, wouldn't life be good if everything was in accounts not affected so much by taxes, The we could just do life strategy moderate growth everywhere, not have to rebalance or do anything. ...
Calm Man,

Yes, but ...

Only about 15% of our investable net worth is in taxable assets. So, yes, my rebalancing is in the tax-advantaged accounts.

But, three years ago I got mad at my situation, and liquidated all of our family's taxable investments to move them to Vanguard. I am glad I did it, although that year our taxable income was a new high that we will likely not see again.

We paid the piper then, and it is good now: Using the kids' UTMAs for college and housing and our taxable account to withdraw funds to defer SS, the current taxes are pretty low.

I think the correct attitude to taxable assets is that some percentage belongs to Uncle Sam. I certainly hope that you are a good custodian and will maximize the amount Sam eventually gets. :wink:

Seriously, the tax man cometh. In my case, I decided it was worthwhile to pay the taxes and get us to a better situation. But, I think you might want to calculate which part of your portfolio belongs to Uncle Sam, no matter what.

Keith
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

I propose that we proclaim the Friday after Thanksgiving as Boglehead Rebalancing Day. With your stomach full of good food, you can watch or not watch the game and take your time figuring out the changes you want to make. It's late enough in the year so you have some idea of your tax situation but avoids the rush that would occur to complete transactions if you did the calculations over the Christmas break. It's the ideal day.

I'm pretty sure that's why the OP chose it, not because of what's happening in the markets or what was posted in the Bogleheads forum.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

ourbrooks wrote:I propose that we proclaim the Friday after Thanksgiving as Boglehead Rebalancing Day. With your stomach full of good food, you can watch or not watch the game and take your time figuring out the changes you want to make. It's late enough in the year so you have some idea of your tax situation but avoids the rush that would occur to complete transactions if you did the calculations over the Christmas break. It's the ideal day.

I'm pretty sure that's why the OP chose it, not because of what's happening in the markets or what was posted in the Bogleheads forum.
umfundi wrote:Really, the noise has become unbearable. The latest straw is something from Malkiel that bonds are dangerous and that the markets have fundamentally changed since 2011. I guess I missed that memo.

Keith
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

ourbrooks wrote:I propose that we proclaim the Friday after Thanksgiving as Boglehead Rebalancing Day.
It won't work. People will confuse your BRD with livesoft's RBD.

Victoria
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

This involves moving only a few percent,...
Talk about living on the edge, my friend!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

YDNAL wrote:

This involves moving only a few percent,...
Talk about living on the edge, my friend!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Nice pic.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

On Friday, bond funds will pay out their November dividend distributions.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Markets close early tomorrow, so don't be late getting your moves in...
Attempted new signature...
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Now that I have teased the original poster about making asset allocation decisions based on Boglehead threads, I might do a bit of rebalancing tomorrow (the day after Thanksgiving). Particularly if the market is going up tomorrow.

Hard to believe how well the US Stock Market has done this year. 30 percent!!! Wow. I am enjoying it. Good opportunity to rebalance.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

nedsaid wrote:Now that I have teased the original poster about making asset allocation decisions based on Boglehead threads, I might do a bit of rebalancing tomorrow (the day after Thanksgiving). Particularly if the market is going up tomorrow.

Hard to believe how well the US Stock Market has done this year. 30 percent!!! Wow. I am enjoying it. Good opportunity to rebalance.
Don't spend the balance in one place.

Victoria
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Sorry Victoria. I won't be spending it. Too young to retire. Oh well, I can always dream!!
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Markets close early tomorrow, so don't be late getting your moves in...
Done. Transactions submitted.
On Friday, bond funds will pay out their November dividend distributions.
Don't care, tax-deferred investments.

Victoria implied I might wait until we get a sense of what the markets are doing tomorrow. I thought about that, then realized I would not do anything differently. So, there we go.

Keith
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

umfundi wrote:
Calm Man wrote:Keith, wouldn't life be good if everything was in accounts not affected so much by taxes, The we could just do life strategy moderate growth everywhere, not have to rebalance or do anything. ...
Calm Man,

Yes, but ...

Only about 15% of our investable net worth is in taxable assets. So, yes, my rebalancing is in the tax-advantaged accounts.

But, three years ago I got mad at my situation, and liquidated all of our family's taxable investments to move them to Vanguard. I am glad I did it, although that year our taxable income was a new high that we will likely not see again.

We paid the piper then, and it is good now: Using the kids' UTMAs for college and housing and our taxable account to withdraw funds to defer SS, the current taxes are pretty low.

I think the correct attitude to taxable assets is that some percentage belongs to Uncle Sam. I certainly hope that you are a good custodian and will maximize the amount Sam eventually gets. :wink:

Keith, indeed I know that my generous Uncle Sam gets a cut. A big cut in the way of income taxes. When I die, then the amount that exceeds what he thinks is reasonable for me to pass on to my undeserving daughters (one of who is permanently disabled) will get another haircut of 35-40% or whatever they then charge a dead man's estate and NJ gets its 13% share (or 16%). I am very sensitive to it. I have variable annuities with huge gains that are fully taxable, IRAs that owe tax and capital gains that owe tax. It makes me sick to think about it but I am hoping the feds make us a one time offer we can't refuse or something somewhere down the road when they are desperate for 1-time revenues. I can always hope.

Seriously, the tax man cometh. In my case, I decided it was worthwhile to pay the taxes and get us to a better situation. But, I think you might want to calculate which part of your portfolio belongs to Uncle Sam, no matter what.

Keith
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Calm Man,

I was talking in the context of funds you will use during your lifetime. Leaving a legacy brings a whole set of other considerations. I am sorry to hear about your daughter.

Best wishes,

Keith
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

umfundi wrote:Calm Man,

I was talking in the context of funds you will use during your lifetime. Leaving a legacy brings a whole set of other considerations. I am sorry to hear about your daughter.

Best wishes,

Keith
thanks. I am used to it by now and she is very well cared for. I spent today with her. It is true Keith that legacy has other considerations. What I am suggesting is that income tax considerations do not end tax planning but estate tax planning goes hand in hand with it. EG, despite being in high federal and state brackets, I am actually now considering using the employee share of my self employed 401K this year (23K) for a ROTH 401K contribution. I have never done this before. My idea is that I can use it for pure equities and leave it for r50 years or so (well after I"m dead) and pay tax now which will also reduce the estate. Of course, if the ROTH grows a lot then the estate gets back to where it was but I can't go into that much second and third order thinking. It is going to be very weird to forego a 40% tax savings (actually deferral) on the 401K for the first time in my life, so I am not certain of it but am thinking about it.
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Why today? Because of new market highs, or Boglehead noise, or is it just that you hit an IPS trigger? Regardless, doesn't seem like a bad time to do so. I'll be taking a hard look at things towards the end of the year. Among other considerations, I'll probably be close to a policy trigger by then.
Don't do something. Just stand there!
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

IlliniDave wrote:Why today? Because of new market highs, or Boglehead noise, or is it just that you hit an IPS trigger? Regardless, doesn't seem like a bad time to do so. I'll be taking a hard look at things towards the end of the year. Among other considerations, I'll probably be close to a policy trigger by then.
With all this talk of rebalancing I placed orders to buy International Ex-US, Total Bond and US Reit today from cash.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Keith
I really admire you sticking to your original plan. I did the same, but I'm not getting the feel good feeling from it. I'm not in the same position as you, but I do have a paid off house and the rest of my net worth is in my 401K, I'm sticking to my 70/30 AA and I don't know what to feel about it these days.

All the respected Kings of the financial world are telling me otherwise. Even John Bogle has been brining up the social security as a bond in AA. I know he said this before, but I hate to even hear him say this during these times.

Charley Ellis things 100% in stocks is fine and he himself is glad it did it into his 70s.

Warren Buffett although he did not flip flop is being very vocal about 100% in equities for the average 55 year old investing for retirement.

Burton Malkiel is really confusing things talking about other asset classes that 99% of people in 401Ks don't even have access to.

The one thing they are guaranteeing is that they are making the average no-nothing investor so confused they might think that they can't do this by themselves and many will probably run into the arms of managed funds who claim they can do it for them.

To Mr. Bogle's credit his plan did not really not flip flop and he still invests the way he teaches, but I really wish he would just say don't count social security in your asset allocation and that will make us regular guys not doubt their plan when every other expert is saying bonds are terrible and even dangerous investments.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley »

I do a personal financial review each year at year-end, and I rebalance if my actual AA is more than 5% from my target 60:40 AA.

At the 2012 review, I was 63:37, not at the 65:35 that would trigger rebalancing.......so I did not rebalance in Jan 2013.

Now I am at 69:31, so I entered my order to sell a 401K stock fund on Thanksgiving day. I will be rebalancing about 1/2 into the total bond fund and 1/2 into the TIPS fund.

I normally rebalance in late December, but I am very busy trying to finish one relative's remodeling project......so then I can switch and finish another relative's project. I decided to rebalance now based upon my busy schedule for the remaining 4 weeks of the year.

I was 100:0 AA from age 22 until age 40......when I went to 90:10. At age 53, I decided I no longer needed to take so much risk, so I switched to 60:40 in Jan 2008. The 60:40 portfolio sure made it easier to stomach the 2008-2009 market decline.

All of my studies using historical stock and bond returns show that annual rebalancing does not significantly change the CAGR, but it does signficantly reduce Sigma or risk. Of course future returns may not be the same as historical returns, but that is the best we have to go on.
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Okay, inspired by this thread I did another round of mild rebalancing today. The dollar amounts were not large but part of a regular program of mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds that I have been on since July. My exchange orders were put in before the market close. Perhaps the day after Thanksgiving should be "rebalancing Friday." Not my idea but seems like a pretty good one.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

nedsaid wrote:Okay, inspired by this thread I did another round of mild rebalancing today. The dollar amounts were not large but part of a regular program of mild rebalancing from stocks to bonds that I have been on since July. My exchange orders were put in before the market close. Perhaps the day after Thanksgiving should be "rebalancing Friday." Not my idea but seems like a pretty good one.
I did something similar. I think every year is different; the Thanksgiving of 2008 did not feel the same as this one.

Victoria
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Just I HAD to rebalance a tiny bit today. Particularly after teasing the original poster about a "rebalancing strategy by Boglehead threads." It was all good fun. But it does go to show you that other Bogleheads inspire us to do the right things.

Back in 2008 when the financial panic started to unfold, I kicked myself for not rebalancing earlier in the year. My asset allocation went from 72% stocks/28% fixed income to 60% stocks/40% fixed income at the bottom. I have now ridden it back up to 69% stocks/31% fixed income. I determined not to let another rebalancing opportunity pass. At some point, I will be glad that I did what I did.
Topic Author
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

Good for us.

I will admit I was not going to rebalance since I was only a couple of percent off, but Malkiel's latest pronouncement set me off. :annoyed

Keith
cfs

Post by cfs »

No balancing act today, however, we added a few centimos to the Vanguard Prime Money Market today, bi-weekly contribution to our taxable account .
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I rebalanced today. My stocks were at 49.7% with my target being 45%, so almost at the Swedroe's Absolute 5% target which is what I use. It had been near there for several months which I always like to see to make sure the market is serious. I probably would have done it in January like most of time, but will admit the threads on the topic pushed me over the edge, although I really don't think it would have mattered one way or another.

I had been at 45% since 2009 put me there (age 61), so I decided to drop it a bit to 42% (age 65), so the rebalance amount was a little higher than it otherwise would have been. This is all in my IRA. I'll stay at 42% until age 70 and drop it a bit then, and maybe at 75, but will probably end up at 25% for the duration thereafter.

The cash will go into Total Bond and Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities funds next week.

Stay the corrected course!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

What happened to Umfundi ? He's gone. :(
zed

Post by zed »

Bustoff wrote:What happened to Umfundi ? He's gone. :(
Evidentally. I sent him a "Wassup?" PM a while back . Never got a reply. :(