Purple Chips book - the royal blue chip stocks

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
ps56k

Purple Chips book - the royal blue chip stocks

Post by ps56k » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Just happen to see a video blurb on Yahoo Finance - Breakout -
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout ... 59058.html

and there was some author with a book about investing into the high end blue chip stocks - Purple Chips -
http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Chips-Winn ... 1118294491

Classic concept with specific attributes to look for in long time winners -
stable EPS, consistent growth over long term, large cap to weather storms, etc...

I think I have seen a similar concept referred to as the Dividend Astrocrat stocks - for high divs -
Some of my stocks in my Schwab trading account are part of this... McD, IBM, JNJ, PG, etc....

The question in my mind, wether it be stocks, mutual funds, index funds, bonds, etc -
.... are the attributes of measurement of the recent past (say 10yrs to include the financial abyss)
the same for measuring the future ??
OR -
.... is there some new attribute, element, or consideration such as globalization, that needs to be added to the metrics
to sort out future Purple Chips of stocks, mutual funds, index funds, and bonds ?
Last edited by ps56k on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.

The Wizard

Re: Purple Chips book - the royal blue chip stocks

Post by The Wizard » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Are these purple chip stocks supposed to be winners in the FUTURE or just the PAST?
Attempted new signature...

SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 pm

There is no magic formula to know the future, but I believe this concept merely refers to wide moat blue chip stocks of the highest quality. Think Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Coca Cola, et.al.

While no company is completely bulletproof, somehow I'd bet that regardless of what the future holds, companies like these will find a way to make boatloads of money.
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:33 pm

SpaceCommander wrote:There is no magic formula to know the future, but I believe this concept merely refers to wide moat blue chip stocks of the highest quality. Think Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Coca Cola, et.al.

While no company is completely bulletproof, somehow I'd bet that regardless of what the future holds, companies like these will find a way to make boatloads of money.
Don't you think that might already be factored into the prices of these stocks?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:46 pm

This is not a new strategy. This sort of strategy has lead to "bubbles" in stocks that fit a certain profile.
During the 1970's the Nifty-Fifty was essentially the same strategy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nifty_Fifty
It's referred to as "Favorite Fifty" in Bogles's Telltale Chart speech https://personal.vanguard.com/bogle_sit ... 20626.html

There is no "set it and forget it" strategy or formula that beats the market long term. If it started showing good results over the short term, rest assured everyone would rush in and squeeze any value out of it until it was not only long gone, but way over priced.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

So when a company has been on a growth-spurt so long they can't breathe they turn "Blue", by the time they turn "Purple" I would be afraid they're about to keel-over :shock:
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Ged wrote:
SpaceCommander wrote:There is no magic formula to know the future, but I believe this concept merely refers to wide moat blue chip stocks of the highest quality. Think Exxon Mobil, Johnson & Johnson, Coca Cola, et.al.

Don't you think that might already be factored into the prices of these stocks?
Absolutely. That's why you can't hardly ever pick up those stocks on sale. You need to pay up for quality, which lowers your investment returns. A top quality company doesn't necessarily mean above average returns. It's all about valuations. If you can pick up those stocks at fire sale prices, I'd say back up the truck!
I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:23 am

SpaceCommander wrote: Absolutely. That's why you can't hardly ever pick up those stocks on sale. You need to pay up for quality, which lowers your investment returns. A top quality company doesn't necessarily mean above average returns. It's all about valuations. If you can pick up those stocks at fire sale prices, I'd say back up the truck!
That seems to be a big part of Warren Buffet's strategy. He's had a knack for picking up the ones that come back to glory, and avoiding the ones that are in a death spiral. The question is, how good do you think your valuation ability is at predicting future returns, and how long can you sit around in cash waiting for those opportunities. Buffett has acknowledged that many of his errors have been of "omission" because he wasn't willing to pay the current market price. It's also interesting to see how he moves in and out of stocks, despite saying his "favorite holding period is forever", he does trade (just slowly) and with uncanny results.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:26 pm

SpaceCommander wrote:If you can pick up those stocks at fire sale prices, I'd say back up the truck!
a sale of merchandise damaged in a fire; also : a sale at very low prices. How do you know they haven't been damaged by the fire?

The Yahoo article begins "Everyone knows investing in blue chips for the long haul is the way to make money in stocks." Really? Everyone?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

SpaceCommander

Post by SpaceCommander » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 pm

nisiprius wrote:
SpaceCommander wrote:If you can pick up those stocks at fire sale prices, I'd say back up the truck!
a sale of merchandise damaged in a fire; also : a sale at very low prices. How do you know they haven't been damaged by the fire?

The Yahoo article begins "Everyone knows investing in blue chips for the long haul is the way to make money in stocks." Really? Everyone?
I had to grin when I read this, but there's a serious issue here too: what's the difference between a high quality blue chip on sale and a value trap? I don't think that's an unanswerable question, but it's really directed toward those who play the stock pickers game. I don't think that describes most on this board. :)

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:05 am

The half life of quoted companies is something like 30 years, and has been getting shorter it appears (without seeing any research).

Think of Kodak, Polaroid, DEC, half the pharmaceutical companies (yes merged, but the industry has big problems). I would bet half the market cap of the tech sector won't be there in 20 years (Blackberry anyone? Nokia? Sony not looking too healthy).

Think GE v. Westinghouse. In the 1960s, basically they were very similar companies. Westinghouse is now gone, GE was the world's largest company, is tarnished but also still a player. Exxon is the only one of the world's publicly quoted oil companies still in the top 10 world producers. The 7 Sisters are slowly dying-- brave thing to call 100+ year old companies that have dominated the 20th century, but the National Oil Companies (contracting directly with the likes of Halliburton and Schlumberger) are slowly displacing them.

I think what this really is is another form of 'low volatility' investing.

Google etc. *will* make boatloads of money. But which of the candidates to do that *will* actually do that is very uncertain.

Beagler

Post by Beagler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:26 pm

SpaceCommander wrote:... That's why you can't hardly ever pick up those stocks on sale....
You're right. Recalling the post-9/11 stock market dips, IIRC did provide a buying opportunity: XOM went from $41.24 to $35.83; JNJ dropped from $55.82 that month down to $52.24; KO dropped a little from $25.10 to $23.40.
(Efficient market? :happy )
“The only place where success come before work is in the dictionary.” Abraham Lincoln. This post does not provide advice for specific individual situations and should not be construed as doing so.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:43 pm

If you own the broad Total Market Index Fund, you already own these.

In Mr. Bogle's book on Common Sense Investing, he showed that the top 25 stocks in Market Capitalization were 26.3% of the Total Stock Market and 33.5% of the S&P 500. So a Boglehead already owns a big helping of these.

So relax fellow Bogleheads, those of us that own the broad indexes have the purple chips, the blue chips, and even the red chips!!

I like Doritos myself.
A fool and his money are good for business.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 pm

[Jocular post removed by poster, in response to Nedsaid's suggesting it could be considered in bad taste].
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:57 pm

What a bunch of bulloney> :D
Last edited by nedsaid on Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Nisiprius, I was not at all offended. You had a brilliant post. Please repost it. It really illustrated the Wall Street marketing and how ridiculous it is. It was a funny post.