Has anyone used Ascensus for 401K admin?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
casio220

Has anyone used Ascensus for 401K admin?

Post by casio220 »

We are considering moving our 401K plan to Vanguard, and Vanguard suggests using Ascensus for the plan administration. Has anyone used Ascensus? Any comments or recommendations? Any problems with data passing between Paychex and Ascensus?
jasonlitka

Re: Has anyone used Ascensus for 401K admin?

Post by jasonlitka »

The company I work for does. I just checked with our Finance Manager and she said they're very responsive and helpful, particularly compared to our previous provider. We don't use Paychex so I can't speak to the integration.
Jason Litka
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

My law firm's 401(k) is run through Regions 1PlanPlus Retirement Plan, which uses Ascensus for administration. As far as I know we don't have any problems with them. However, I have not seen a lot of detailed information regarding any administrative fees that Ascensus charges. I know that I see transactions from time to time for fees, but I'm not sure I've ever gotten any detailed statement showing me what the fees are for, or how they're calculated.

I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of their online interface, run through PlanServices.com (Ascensus' site).
BYUvol

Post by BYUvol »

fcox85 wrote:I will say that I'm not the biggest fan of their online interface, run through PlanServices.com (Ascensus' site).
We have Ascensus manage our plan offered by Merrill Lynch. They frequently make small changes to their site which breaks communication with Mint.com.

I'm one of those people that uses Mint every day for bill tracking, investment goals, and checking all transactions in one place, so it is a major deal to me. Over the past 2 years I have had about 2 months where I couldn't sync with it. Otherwise I don't have any complaints.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Our firm uses Ascensus. They sent a rep out to guide us through the changeover from ADP last year. They offer many low cost Vanguard Index, TR and Active funds along with some non-Vanguard. I've been very pleased so far.
leonard

Post by leonard »

I would at least check out Employee Fiduciary, Web 401k, and other low cost TPA's before locking in on the one you are asking about. If nothing else, comparison shopping will ensure you are getting the truly lowest cost 401k with the features you want.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
fcox85

Post by fcox85 »

BYUvol wrote:We have Ascensus manage our plan offered by Merrill Lynch. They frequently make small changes to their site which breaks communication with Mint.com.

I'm one of those people that uses Mint every day for bill tracking, investment goals, and checking all transactions in one place, so it is a major deal to me. Over the past 2 years I have had about 2 months where I couldn't sync with it. Otherwise I don't have any complaints.
At least you have access via Mint.com. For whatever reason, Regions' Plan managed through Ascensus is not compatible with Mint.com, despite the fact that other plans managed through Ascensus' PlanServices.com website clearly are. I find that disappointing about Regions' plan in particular.

On the positive, I will echo what others have said about a good selection of VG Signal Index Funds (Total Bond, Total International, 500, MidCap, SmallCap) and TR Funds.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

My small business 401k switched to Ascensus from previous John Hancock plan. We considered Emp. Fiduciary, Costco 401k and others before moving. Their admin. expenses are little bit higher, but their customer service is superb. I certainly recommend them.
2wolves

Post by 2wolves »

How much in assets does a company need before Vanguard will administer directly?
leonard

Post by leonard »

I checked several years ago - don't remember the number but it was in the millions $5 or $10M.

Just call their 401k admin phone number and they will provide you the number.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.