Anyone else watch these vids?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
M_to_the_G

Anyone else watch these vids?

Post by M_to_the_G » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:30 am

Khan Academy's (http://www.youtube.com/user/khanacademy). This guy makes YouTube videos explaining investing (and many other) concepts in a very elegant and straightforward way. I found his channel today while looking for vids explaining bond prices. He has a vid on that and on many other topics (price to earnings ratio, open-end vs closed-end mutual funds, etc.). I find his teaching style VERY intuitive and easy to grasp. If you haven't watched any of his vids, I highly recommend them.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

Abe

Re: Anyone else watch these vids?

Post by Abe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm

That is wonderful. I was wondering when this would happen, students being taught with computers and the internet from a central location, and being able to learn at their own pace. I think this will change education as we know it. I plan to use it myself.
Slow and steady wins the race.

mille424

Post by mille424 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:41 pm

khanacademy.org is their website that you may find easier to navigate. It's a very well known website with significant backing from the Gates foundation and Google. They do a great job spreading knowledge on any topic starting at about middle school level and sometimes getting into college level material.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 pm

Beyond the vids, you should check out the Khan Academy website, which supplements the videos with exercises and a "knowledge" map that you can track your learning on.

The guy really has the gift of remembering it's like to not know the subject--a rare thing in teachers, who often gloss over things, neglect to define jargon, etc.
Stay on target...

Tyr0ne

Post by Tyr0ne » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:55 pm

The world needs more people like Salman Khan. There is also a great TED Talk he did a couple years ago about Khan Academy and the future of education.
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson