Single Favorite Mutual Fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Single Favorite Mutual Fund

Post by TheTimeLord »

What is your single favorite mutual fund?

I will pick Vanguard Wellington (VWELX)
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Joe S.

Re: Single Favorite Mutual Fund

Post by Joe S. »

Well I could say it's the Vanguard Emerging Markets fund, because that's the fund that has earned me the best return, although I don't put much money in it. Alternately, I could say it is the Total Stock Market fund, because that's what I put the most money in. Alternately, I could say it is the Vanguard Target Retirement 2025 fund, because that is what I would put all my money in if I had to choose one fund. However the truth is I don't put any money in the Vanguard Target 2025 retirement fund.

So depending on what rule I use, I could call multiple different funds my favorite fund.
FinancialRamblings

Post by FinancialRamblings »

Odd question. You mean if I could only own one? In that case, I have no idea. Probably a TR fund of some sort. But of the ones that I own, I guess I had have to say I like Total Stock Market the best since that's the own I own the most of. ;-)
I've got money on my mind...
Blues

Post by Blues »

FinancialRamblings wrote:Probably a TR fund of some sort. But of the ones that I own, I guess I had have to say I like Total Stock Market the best since that's the own I own the most of. ;-)
Agree. TSM if one can't choose an all-in-one fund which in our case would be VTINX (Target Retirement Income)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Deleted.
Last edited by gkaplan on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Deleted.
Gordon
Topic Author
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

FinancialRamblings wrote:Odd question. You mean if I could only own one? In that case, I have no idea. Probably a TR fund of some sort. But of the ones that I own, I guess I had have to say I like Total Stock Market the best since that's the own I own the most of. ;-)
There are so many offerings out there I thought it might be a good way to learn about a fund I never heard of or considered.
Last edited by TheTimeLord on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Not technically a mutual fund, I'd say one of the Collective Trusts in my 401K.

For retail, probably VTIAX (Vanguard Tot Intl). Vanguard's domestic Total Market funds are pretty good as well, but VTIAX has the biggest differentiator when compared with the competition.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

If I could only own one fund, I'd go with total world stock fund and do my debt holdings with US Treasury bonds.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

I like my I bonds with fixed rate, if that counts. :moneybag
John
Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 »

Vanguard Healthcare Fund!

Extended Market and TSM are close behind.

25% S&P 500 | 25% Extended Market | 20% International | 10% REIT | 10% Sector Funds | 10% Cash
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

The three greatest percentage of my assets are total market, total international, and Wellington (yes there is some redundancy between total market and Wellington).
FinancialRamblings

Post by FinancialRamblings »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:There are some many offerings out there I thought it might be a good way to learn about a fund I never heard of or considered.
Fair point. But if you're looking for new ideas, this probably isn't the place to find them. The vast majority of us hold the same few, boring funds. :-)
Last edited by FinancialRamblings on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've got money on my mind...
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Vanguard Wellesley for sure.

It fits so many of our requirements as:
1) A single fund
2) Close to our AA
3) Throws off enough in distributions and cap gains
4) Proven track record
rixer

Post by rixer »

Mine has been the boring SWPPX.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

Vanguard Total Stock Market fund. I've owned it since fund inception, 4/27/1992.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Funds are tools. I use the one that's available and right for the task at hand. No matter how much I like my power saw, I don't use it to drive nails.

Brian
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Vanguard Balanced Index Fund. It gives you what you need, no more, no less. I also love the fact that Mr. Bogle invests money for his family in this fund.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
investor

Post by investor »

WELLINGTON... have owned it for many years.

investor
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

That is hard for me to answer in a straight forward manner.

I like the total market funds and approach such as the Total Stock, Total International, Total Bond, and I also use the US and International REIT funds which could be named Total US REIT and Total International REIT. Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, and Cash. I really don't invest in anything else.

That said I guess I could say the fund that is making me the most money, dropping the least, etc. I could also say the fund that has dropped and is providing a present opportunity to invest in shares at a lower price.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Vanguard S&P 500 index fund.

This was the one that put index funds on the map.
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

Contrafund, outperformance over the S&P 500 for over 20 years is greatly appreciated, and is thus appropriate to maintain, Boglehead or otherwise.
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

There is a simple beauty in the "Total Stock Market" or the "Total World Stock Market" funds.
However, my personal favorite is the Vanguard 500 Admiral Shares

The lowest expense ratio, the lowest annual internal brokerage expenses, the stocks that make up the fund have the lowest bid-ask spreads on the market and the highest liquidity. I also like the selection criteria S&P uses when selecting the constituents of the index, although there's no reason to believe it brings any benefit, the fundamental factor that it only includes companies who have been profitable as opposed to just buying whatever the market is trying to sell.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Toons

Post by Toons »

stemikger wrote:Vanguard Balanced Index Fund. It gives you what you need, no more, no less. I also love the fact that Mr. Bogle invests money for his family in this fund.
+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
matjen

Post by matjen »

Assuming you are in a tax-sheltered account then I would go with one of the Vanguard Life Strategy Funds. Take your pick given your need, ability, and willingness to take risk.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... rategyList
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Bogle101 wrote:Vanguard Healthcare Fund!

+1, Had some since 1986. For many years it was our only holding. In retrospect, kinda wish we never exchanged out.
island

Post by island »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:What is your single favorite mutual fund?
I was wondering the same thing.
For those of you who responded is the fund you listed your favorite no matter what account you hold it in? Taxable, Roth or 401K?
Thanks.
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

If you are looking for a fund that may be overlooked, I have held the Schwab 1000 fund since its inception in 1991. I was not aware of any total market funds and so I went with the Schwab 1000 because it was broader than the S&P 500. It is managed for tax efficiency which is a plus as I have held it in taxable accounts.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I don't play favorites, I buy more of the asset class which is performing below expectations. Why? well quite simply because it means I can pick up shares cheaply while the lemmings pile into their "favorite mutual fund". :wink: As the mean reverts, I then sell and start the process anew purchasing what is "out of favor" with those who have a single favorite mutual fund.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:I don't play favorites, I buy more of the asset class which is performing below expectations. Why? well quite simply because it means I can pick up shares cheaply while the lemmings pile into their "favorite mutual fund". :wink: As the mean reverts, I then sell and start the process anew purchasing what is "out of favor" with those who have a single favorite mutual fund.
I wouldn't want you managing at baseball team, sell the home-run hitters, bring in the laggards "they're DUE to win eventually!"

Do you have a set period of time of time you use to determine who is in or out of favor? One year? Five years? Fifty years?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Deleted.
Gordon
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

FinancialRamblings wrote:Odd question. . . . .
Yes, odd :?

If I could only own one fund, one of the LifeStrategy funds.

The one I own most of, Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares (VTSAX).
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

me too
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
stratton

Post by stratton »

I like Wellesley.

It's boring and doesn't lose much money so it doesn't need to capture all of the upside in a fund like TSM to make a decent return. It's a classic income fund of the era before index funds.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

gkaplan wrote:This really is a silly thread, and I regret posting twice in it.
Silly is as silly does....

or as Mr.Wonka put it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS5_cIwzkII
island

Post by island »

gkaplan wrote:This really is a silly thread, and I regret posting twice in it.
Actually Gordon, that makes 3 posts and can you please make it 4 to explain what's so silly about it?

Sounds like there are many Bogleheads who believe in keeping it simple with 3 or 4 fund portfolios and buy and hold strategies. So asking for 1 favorite doesn't sound so outlandish especially if the poster indicates why, in addition to making the most money. I'm a newbie to this site and if someone mentions a fund I'm not familiar with I'm more likely to check it out as part of my learning process.

However for me what would probably be more useful is to hear about the duds to steer clear of!
Last edited by island on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

trrbx
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

VTIAX - owning a piece of the World feels good.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Starbux:

Vanguards Total Stock Market Index fund has long been my favorite equity fund. It is reassuring to learn that this fund had the highest 5-year return of the 25 largest mutual funds.

http://www.diansfundfreebies.com/performance/lg25.pdf

Past performance does not guarantee future performance.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Levett

Post by Levett »

If it's about putting your money where your mouth is (with respect to VG), it's Wellesley.

If it's about putting your money where your mouth is (with respect to TIAA-CREF), it's TIAA Traditional.

That's my "tilt" as a retiree.

I'm not a maximizer--obviously. :happy

Lev
gks

Post by gks »

Ahh, so many funds, so little time.

There was Magellan when Peter Lynch still was running it. After he retired and checking the performance which was equaling S&P I looked around and discovered Contrafund. That was one of my luckier picks for over 20 years.

Then there was Fidelity Low Priced Stock. Last I checked, it was still going strong but I'm not there.

Then we get to some of the questionable ones, like Janus Venture. It was neat seeing it go up ~300% in two years, but really painful seeing it go down 80+% in the next year or two. Not realizing I was a Bogglehead, I rode it up and then down. Janus's SEC problems convinced me that they were looking out for themselves and not their investors, so we parted company along with Janus Fund.

Has anyone ever heard of Strong Total Return? Yes, he got caught up with the SEC with Janus. Luckily, we had parted company several years earlier, but that was luck.

Or, Evergreen Total Return.

Then, there is Greenspring. I read a glowing article in one of those slick page financial magazines that touted it as an up and coming fund, so guess what? I invested in it. So did about a gazillion other people and its sterling previous returns evaporated into about a 20% loss in a year. But, being an unknowing Bogglehead, I kept it. It is a little expensive, but its main redeeming quality is that, according to MorningStar, It survived the 2007-2009 blip better than any other fund we had. It is currently even with almost everything else we have at Vanguard.

Speaking of Vanguard, Asset Allocation and Windsor II have convinced me that even Vanguard can't predict the future. AA had 80-90% equity allocation at the beginning of the 07 debacle, and while W II had the best increase of many of the funds, it lost the most in the "meltdown". Luckily, AA was folded into Balanced Index, and I still hold W II because it is coming back.

So, as far as my favorite fund, I don't have one. The ones that I have are my current favorites.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=116232

Greg
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

VPMAX
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Then we get to some of the questionable ones, like Janus Venture. It was neat seeing it go up ~300% in two years, but really painful seeing it go down 80+% in the next year or two. Not realizing I was a Bogglehead, I rode it up and then down. Janus's SEC problems convinced me that they were looking out for themselves and not their investors, so we parted company along with Janus Fund.

Has anyone ever heard of Strong Total Return? Yes, he got caught up with the SEC with Janus. Luckily, we had parted company several years earlier, but that was luck.
I owned all of them in the past. TLH all into VG Index Funds.

Favorite Single Fund : TSM. LS Growth in TD account.
All the Best, | Joe
MitchC

Post by MitchC »

I like this topic myself !

Wife and I just opened to new backdoor roth ira's at Vanguard and are in process of selecting funds. In our 401k's at work we both have 4 VG Index funds, so we're eyeing a few managed VG funds....

Wellington
Wellesley
Healthcare

... any love for VG Dividend Growth (VDIGX) or VG Equity-Income (VEIPX) ?

These are our top 5 picks at the moment, so this thread is timely for us !
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Simplicity or complexity ?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

In our 401k's at work we both have 4 VG Index funds, so we're eyeing a few managed VG funds....
Mitch:

Strive for simplicity--not complexity.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Single fund? Before retiring it was probably Healthcare. Since retiring it would be Wellesley., but I really prefer a TR fund with the latter.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
MitchC

Post by MitchC »

Taylor...not following...

We each have VG Mid cap index, VG small cap index, VG Total Bond, VG Total Int'l Stock in our 401k plans (Non-VG for our Large cap exposure). Our plan only offers these 4 VG funds. Wish they they had TSM, but they don't thus the mid/small, and non VG LC.

The 2 Roth's are additional. And since we have nice VG index funds already, thought we'd try a managed flavor VG fund or 2. Does not seem complex to me but I'm open to a concrete suggestion ?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

My largest holding is a US Total Stock Market fund. Expense ratio is only seven basis points.
A fool and his money are good for business.
chaz

Post by chaz »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:What is your single favorite mutual fund?

I will pick Vanguard Wellington (VWELX)
I like total stock market index.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

BRK/B

What's that you say?

Oh, but it is .... :D
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.