The Onion: "Price Of Money Skyrockets To $90 A Dollar"

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
SSSS

The Onion: "Price Of Money Skyrockets To $90 A Dollar"

Post by SSSS » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoejgnFFP8
After fluctuating wildly this morning between $1 and $35, the price of money spiked to an unprecedented $90 a dollar in afternoon trading, plunging international financial markets into chaos.
Did anyone not see this coming?

VictoriaF

Re: The Onion: "Price Of Money Skyrockets To $90 A Dollar"

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:31 pm

I am confused. How should I use my dry powder: to buy dollars or to sell dollars?

Also, I am interested in the Onion's take on the garlic consumption.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:03 pm

I'll wait for the book on "How to Buy a Dollar Like Warren Buffett" to come out before I get into that market.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 pm

Years ago, I used to joke that Amazon.com had a business plan of selling dollar bills at ninety cents on the dollar. Their business plan was to make it up on volume!!

As it turned out, Jeff Bezos turned out to me a much better businessman than I thought and they are doing quite well thank you. They turned out to be a real company that eventually turned real profits. So darn it, wrong about something else.
A fool and his money are good for business.

ThePrune

Post by ThePrune » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 am

Hilarious video, especially the "Dollar to Dollar" volatility plot that pops up in the middle of the report. But I'm saddened to think that most U.S. citizens couldn't distinguish this parody video from the PBS Nightly Business Report.
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.

Methedras

Post by Methedras » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 am

But I'm saddened to think that most U.S. citizens couldn't distinguish this parody video from the PBS Nightly Business Report.
I'm also saddened about the frightening hints of truth in this satire.

I would ordinarily try to put a snarky comment about financial repression, low interest rates, or inflation right here, but my morning coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:05 am

nedsaid wrote:Years ago, I used to joke that Amazon.com had a business plan of selling dollar bills at ninety cents on the dollar. Their business plan was to make it up on volume!!

As it turned out, Jeff Bezos turned out to me a much better businessman than I thought and they are doing quite well thank you. They turned out to be a real company that eventually turned real profits. So darn it, wrong about something else.
Actually there's still a lot of criticism of Amazon along those lines.

If it was a bricks and mortar company the stock market would not reward it with the share price that it does. Although Amazon makes 'profit' it also reinvests huge cash flow into new operations and ventures (subsidizing Kindle etc.)-- I am not sure it is actually cash flow positive after capex. And constant growth in product offering and lines-- Amazon groceries next.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 am

A family member commented on how retail business would expand fast. You would see a local retailer expand like crazy and it turned out that they would do it on their vendors' credit. At some point, the vendors would cut off credit and the retail business would collapse like a house of cards. Then there would be a "going out of business" sale with stuff going in the back door while stuff is being sold out the front. You see with furniture and appliance retailers.

A variation of this are the companies that show earnings growth by continuing to buy new businesses. Like Tyco.
Or Worldcomm.

Or the opposite strategy of spinning off everything with lower growth rates like what Coke did.

It shows how things in the business world are not always as they appear.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:24 am

Valuethinker? Was I right about Amazon.com? Hot dog!!! I am finally right about something again!!! Woo hoo!!!

Being right about something!! Doesn't happen too often!! :D

baw703916

Post by baw703916 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:06 am

VictoriaF wrote:I am confused. How should I use my dry powder: to buy dollars or to sell dollars?

Victoria
Akin to instant coffee, instant money comes in a jar in the form of dry powder. Just mix a couple spoonfuls into some water, and voila!

Brad
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:18 am

baw703916 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I am confused. How should I use my dry powder: to buy dollars or to sell dollars?

Victoria
Akin to instant coffee, instant money comes in a jar in the form of dry powder. Just mix a couple spoonfuls into some water, and voila!

Brad
Where do you get the jars? At a money market?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am

nedsaid wrote:Valuethinker? Was I right about Amazon.com? Hot dog!!! I am finally right about something again!!! Woo hoo!!!

Being right about something!! Doesn't happen too often!! :D
OR you are wrong about Amazon, but in agreement with Valuethinker.

I think stats calls that a 'Type 2 error' ;-).

baw703916

Post by baw703916 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:28 am

VictoriaF wrote:
baw703916 wrote:Akin to instant coffee, instant money comes in a jar in the form of dry powder. Just mix a couple spoonfuls into some water, and voila!

Brad
Where do you get the jars? At a money market?

Victoria
Good one! :)
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:57 am

baw703916 wrote:

Victoria

Brad
You misread the instructions. You have to add money!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 am

Valuethinker, my eyes glazed over in stats class!! So okay, you agree with me and I may still be wrong. You agreeing with my statement doesn't make my statement correct. I guess I was using what they call "Social proof." Oh well. Maybe I will be right about something on this forum. I will just keep posting.