Gold and Silver down a lot today

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
InvestorNewb

Gold and Silver down a lot today

Post by InvestorNewb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:27 pm

Hello,

Gold and silver are down ~4% and ~4.5% respectively today (so far).

I wonder why such a sharp decline?
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Jfet

Re: Gold and Silver down a lot today

Post by Jfet » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm

I think it is because they are printing more gold and silver...oh wait...

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:30 pm

That's some safe haven.....
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

rmelvey

Post by rmelvey » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:57 pm

Gold is driven more by animal spirits than other markets. Goldman put out a sell piece the other day which can have a stronger effect on an ambiguous market like Gold because at no point do "value" guys step in to push the price back up because FCF based valuation is meaningless for gold.

Additionally, the Troika is pushing for Cypress to sell some of the gold holdings to pay off their debt. The gold market is anticipating that, and perhaps the idea that other countries will do the same.

Personally, I am staying the course. I will continue to rebalance my portfolio of stocks, bonds, bills, and gold according to my IPS and AA because when focusing on total portfolio value in real terms, gold helps me achieve a stable ride! :D

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm

It might be because of this headline "Yukon Cornelius announces a sharp curtailment in the annual dividend after having found "Nuthing"

In other news, crude oil is declining due to expected sharp economic expansion. :oops:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:18 pm

I think you will find that if you try to buy silver (real silver coins or bullion) you have to pay a "premium" that brings the actual price back up to approx. $30 per troy oz.

Unless of course they are mysteriously "out of stock".
pjstack

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:22 pm

I hear all the cool hedge funds are dumping their paper gold to get into bitcoins.

That said, just about everything will have occasional fluctuations of 5% - and generally for no apparent reason other than what the talking heads make up after the fact. If you can't handle a bit of volatility, definitely stay away from stocks (1987, etc).

Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:31 pm

GDP expectations for next year are good, unemployment is down, the Fed is talking about ending QE, etc. I've been expecting a decline for a while now, in fact I expect it to go down farther than it already has.

Is it a bull market pullback or switch to a bear market? On that front I don't know. My rules tell me to get out when real interest rates are back above zero so I'm hanging in there for now.

wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:34 pm

When there are negative real interest rates gold has positive returns over a 12 month or longer holding period. When real rates become positive by greater than 2% its time to dump gold.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 pm

You folks do realize ANY asset goes up and down on any given day for no reason what so ever don't you??

Boy no wonder why folks are so susceptible to market timing. Folks spend way too much time worrying about the market activity over any short time.

I never see anyone complain when stuff goes up 4% in a given day. Folks don't seem to understand volatility cuts both ways. It goes UP and DOWN!!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:Hello,

Gold and silver are down ~4% and ~4.5% respectively today (so far).

I wonder why such a sharp decline?
Everyone has figured out that gold and silver pay no dividends or interest :( .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

stratton

Post by stratton » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

InvestorNewb wrote:I wonder why such a sharp decline?
Who the heck knows?

I'll make up one for you...

The President put on a top hat and opera cape said, "I'm going confiscate all the gold to make Saddam Hussein like furnishings for the White House." while twirling his magnificent mustachios.

Good enough for you?! :P

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm

Gold bugs,where are you??!! :wink: :wink:
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel

Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Ed 2 wrote:Gold bugs,where are you??!! :wink: :wink:
I'm still happy with my position, I knew it was volatile when I bought it.

For a short term answer it's been obvious we were in a descending triangle for at least a week, P&F charts suggest we have probably another 20% to go, we broke the six month channel line so that seems likely.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:16 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable). See: Forum Policy
UNACCEPTABLE TOPICS

Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics

If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type including oil price manipulation
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
I also moved it to the Investing - Theory, News & General forum (general investing).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.