Merrill Edge

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
zfaux

Merrill Edge

Post by zfaux » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm

Does anyone use Merrill Edge? I'm a reporter at Bloomberg (zekefaux.com) and I'm looking to hear about what it's like now that they're shifting smaller accounts to call centers.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Merrill Edge

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Welcome! We've verified the identify of the OP.

I assume you're looking for comments posted in this thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 pm

We were Bank of America premiere customers. The treatment by Merill reminded me of a viking plunder raid. Smash grab steal all you can and leave a smoking rotten ruin. We transferred enough assets to become flagship customers at Vanguard and never looked back

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 pm

Call centers? I thought Merrill Edge was the do-it-yourself free online brokerage, so why would one need a call center or human being to talk to?

I like Bloomberg.com articles, so I look forward to reading more about this. What do you think of the NYTimes Dealbook article on JPMorgan Chase?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

livesoft wrote:What do you think of the NYTimes Dealbook article on JPMorgan Chase?
That discussion would be off-topic here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:39 pm

The call centers have proved competent and helpful when I call. I don't use them for transactions because of the high cost but online buys and sells generally work fine. The call is answered quickly and I have not spent much time on hold.

linguini

Post by linguini » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I use a Merrill Edge for my Roth IRA and taxable investment account. I don't really know anything about the call centers because I do everything online. I primarily trade Vanguard ETFs through it, trades are commission-free and everything seems to work fine, so it seems like a perfectly adequate online brokerage.

ResNullius

Post by ResNullius » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 am

Personally, I would stay away from Merrill Edge. I have a MM Savings Account at BOA, where I keep my cash. When I set it up, I told the person at the local bank that I would close the account immediately if I ever receved a call from anyone from Merrill. The old ML, and the new ME, are rip-off artists of the first order, at least that's how I feel about them, and my MM account isn't small.

Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:17 am

ResNullius wrote:Personally, I would stay away from Merrill Edge. I have a MM Savings Account at BOA, where I keep my cash. When I set it up, I told the person at the local bank that I would close the account immediately if I ever receved a call from anyone from Merrill. The old ML, and the new ME, are rip-off artists of the first order, at least that's how I feel about them, and my MM account isn't small.
From my experience with ML you are far too kind :twisted: :twisted:

As just one example, we routinely got medallion guarantees at B of A. When ML took over and moved into plush new offices 3 blocks away they demanded that we come to ML to get the stamp. I asked Why?
The answer was "well we understand these things and they don't." We have the services you need, not "them"
I said "you know how to run a company into the ground and then con a bailout but I don't need that service"

I went back to the B of A branch and closed a 200 K account. I asked the manager to tell the ML folks that they just cost B of A an account. He said he was not allowed to complain.