Could bogleheads vote on Top 10 "asks" of Vanguard?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
BornInCA

Re: Could bogleheads vote on Top 10 "asks" of Vanguard?

Post by BornInCA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:43 am

nydad wrote:My top asks
1) Bring back coverdells! pretty please! seriously.
+1

I'm with you there. BRING BACK THE COVERDELLS!! PLEEEEEEEEZE!!!! :happy

Vanguard is my 1st choice for coverdells. TD Ameritrade is my 2nd since I can purchase Vanguard ETFs commission-free. Besides my health savings account custodied by HSA Bank is there as well.

kresso

Post by kresso » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 pm

trasmuss wrote:I would like to see an Admiral version of Vanguard's funds of funds (e.g. Life Strategy and/or Target Retirement. I would expect the minimum to be higher than other admiral funds. Perhaps $100k. I think it would be to Vanguard's advantage in lower trading compared to people holding individual funds to get the lower expense ratios (such as myself).
I totally agree. I would love to have admiral funds with the life strategy or target retirement funds. Even if the minimums were higher, I think that would be great!

floydtime

Post by floydtime » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

A real Vanguard H.S.A. with no fees (other than the usual mutual fund fees).
"Do not value money for any more nor any less than its worth; it is a good servant but a bad master" - Alexandre Dumas

crow

Post by crow » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 pm

1.) Allow different beneficiary designations on different accounts rather than, for example, forcing all TIRAs to have same beneficiary
2.) Better password capability

chipmonk

Post by chipmonk » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 pm

floydtime wrote:A real Vanguard H.S.A. with no fees (other than the usual mutual fund fees).
Mega +1. My HSA is a nice chunk of tax-advantaged space which I can't efficiently invest due to high fees. The best options I can find are either cash yielding 1.05% (Alliant) or investments with high fees (Alliant) and/or $5k sitting in zero-yielding cash plus low-fee investments on the rest (HSA Bank).

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 pm

kalons wrote:
ram wrote:-Show performance and ac balance for >5 yrs
+1

#2: Two-factor authentication (and longer passwords).
Some have posted that Vanguard is rolling out 2FA

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:18 pm

nydad wrote:My top asks
3) Statement householding
4) annual report householding (if i hold the same fund for my wife, kids, myself, just send me one annual report about it)
That will not happen for lots of reasons. Vanguard does not know who is related to whom. They can't determine that based on matching addresses. The federal government defined individual retirement accounts for spouses and Vanguard probably has legal reasons for keeping it that way. Vanguard's online fraud policy says that you are not suppose the share the details of your individual accounts with someone who might drain your account and be on a plane with Fabio to some location in the world from which it's hard to recover the money.

PS: But, come to think of it, you might be able to get the equivalent by setting up Agent Authorization via Vanguard. You can set up read-only Agent Authorization. I use Agent Authorization. I can see all my wife's and MIL's accounts along with my own on one login screen. I don't get paper statements, but perhaps it's consolidated on the paper statement also.

Gleevec

Post by Gleevec » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm

1. Bring back Coverdell ESA
2. Switch to a Charles Schwab or Fidelity-type online checking account with similar features
3. RSA key for log-in
4. Cost basis/Spec ID reporting for previously created IRA

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:46 pm

tadamsmar wrote:...But, come to think of it, you might be able to get the equivalent by setting up Agent Authorization via Vanguard. You can set up read-only Agent Authorization. I use Agent Authorization. I can see all my wife's and MIL's accounts along with my own on one login screen. I don't get paper statements, but perhaps it's consolidated on the paper statement also...
No, it isn't.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 pm

A customizable re-balancing tool, so that you can do re-balancing at the account level, or any combination of accounts that you choose.

ryuns

Post by ryuns » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:52 pm

DrDoodle wrote: 3. Some kind of rebalancing tool (but I admit that I don't have any idea what this would look like or how it would function; it might be impossible to develop a tool that's both powerful enough to be valuable, while also being flexible enough to meet the different needs of different users).
This. A new administrator just took over our 401k/403b and vastly improved the interface and capability. My favorite new toy: automatic rebalancing. It's completely optional, but totally intuitive. The default rebalancing option is, on a semi-annual basis, to rebalance back to proportions you're already investing in, but you can also change the percentages or change the rebalancing frequency to quarterly or annually. Very simple. Admittedly, Vanguard would have the complication of dealing with multiple account types, but I'd be fine if they had the capability on only single accounts.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton

Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:22 pm

VBS is painfully slow and feels very outdated.

I think they can improve on this, and stay true to their core mission.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm

1) Another vote for betterVBS integration (allowing Quicken to actually give me real totals! and allowing exchanges between brokerage assets and MF without waiting for the 3 days.)

2) 2 step sign in authentication.

BTW, I do get some annual reports sent to The Household, not sure how or why this happened but I applaud it.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

noyopacific

Post by noyopacific » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:57 pm

I would like to have the total compensation for the top three Vanguard employees disclosed.
The information contained herein, while not guaranteed by us, has been obtained from from sources which have not in the past proved particularly reliable.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:17 am

jsl11 wrote:Savings bonds earn interest for a limited amount of time. I believe it is 30 years. When they mature, taxes are due on the interest (if you have not been paying annually) and interest stops accumulating. There is no reason to keep them once they reach this point.
Jeff
Interesting. That's going to make transferring some of them (the ones from when I was born) to Vanguard easy, since my 30th birthday is later this year. Thanks for the heads-up. Man I hope the ones I have paid their taxes annually (I didn't do so myself), since my marginal rate will be the highest this year that it's been in my life.
nisiprius wrote:
Clever_Username wrote:I suspect this will be easier when I enter the savings bonds I recently discovered that I had? They're on paper, which might make it tough. Some were from when I was born, others from when I had my bar mitzvah. I've done nothing with them (and I don't plan to, other than keep track of them). But if there's a way to track 'em online, that'd be cool.
Thanks for the compliments, by the way. But be skeptical and critical of all posts, including mine. To track savings bonds, the Treasury has a no-cost downloadable Windows program called the "Savings Bond Wizard.". They also have an online web-based savings bond calculator, which is what I use since I use a Mac. The directions on "how to save your inventory" pretty much work, although the current version of Safari is different from their illustrations; the "save as" choices are "Page Source" and "Web Archive" and I find that both work but that "save as Web Archive" works better.

Although I could have Googled for it, in fact I snagged the Savings Bond Wizard link from the Bogleheads Wiki's article on I Savings Bonds, which is well worth reading.
I'll be sure to remain skeptical. As for the bonds, I'll have to use the online calculator since I'm also not on Windows. Thanks for the heads-up; I was ready to do some math referencing the physical certificates.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

So, DrDoodle, would you like to consolidate and boil down the answers to a list of ten, and post them as a poll? If can post the list here first people can make sure the wording is clear and "debug" any potential issues in how the questions are posed.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Topic Author
DrDoodle

Post by DrDoodle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:55 pm

nisiprius wrote:So, DrDoodle, would you like to consolidate and boil down the answers to a list of ten, and post them as a poll? If can post the list here first people can make sure the wording is clear and "debug" any potential issues in how the questions are posed.
I'll give it a shot ... there might a slight delay due to family business, but I'll get to it!

Hat

Post by Hat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Another vote for longer passwords.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:12 pm

Reach out to the 403b world, even if the effort costs more than 18 bps (it most certainly will).
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Allocationist

Post by Allocationist » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Establish a two-step verification layer of protection for account access from unrecognized computers or devices. A similar process is now available on Google mail and Dropbox.

Improve the functionality of the brokerage trading platform.

John151

Post by John151 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 am

I'd like Vanguard to publish percentage yields for its international stock funds.

Piecake

Post by Piecake » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 am

I would love for Vanguard to offer HSA accounts directly instead of through a third party. The fees of HSA's suck, so would love to see Vanguard step in and destroy the competition

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 am

I recently posted this message in another thread, but I will post it here for those who were asking about admiral shares for the fund of funds.
Silence Dogood wrote: For legal reasons, I don't think that Vanguard can offer admiral shares. SEC regulations do not allow for multiple share classes of fund of funds.

It's more likely that Vanguard will simply eliminate the admiral shares of a few of it's core funds, due to the fact that there is now only a small difference in minimums between the investor shares and admiral shares. For example, the Vanguard Total Stock Market Investor shares has a minimum of $3,000, while the admiral shares of the same fund has a minimum of just $10,000. The easier move for Vanguard to make would be to just converge the two share classes. This would result in a lower expense ratio for the Target Retirement funds.

trudy

Post by trudy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:54 am

red5 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:a) Seamless connection between Vanguard mutual fund accounts and VBS accounts.
+1
It took me awhile to get used to the twinned accounts. Now I don't notice it so much, but I would prefer everything in one account for each type (Trad. ira, roth, etc.)

bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 am

These have been covered but just showing further support in case a poll was developed - 1) Longer personal performance. Perhaps ability to graph personal performance against other funds performance (i.e. Target Retirement); 2) More accurate portfolio x-ray tool; 3) More interactive Vg fund performance charts - adjustable date ranges, greater than 10 year perfomance charting

Topic Author
DrDoodle

Post by DrDoodle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:39 pm

nisiprius wrote:So, DrDoodle, would you like to consolidate and boil down the answers to a list of ten, and post them as a poll? If can post the list here first people can make sure the wording is clear and "debug" any potential issues in how the questions are posed.
Here's 11 items that each got multiple nominations:
  • 1. Seamless connection between mutual fund and VBS account, with improved VBS functionality
    2. Stronger password security: longer; upper/lowercase; 2 factor
    3. Rebalancing tool
    4. Better "Portfolio Watch" (M* X-ray based?) with more accurate and complete asset allocation data
    5. Show more than 5 years of portfolio performance data
    6. Coverdells
    7. A real Vanguard H.S.A.
    8. Smarter layout on printed, mailed statements to cut down on the number of pages
    9. Email notification when holding issues a distribution
    10. Lower minimum for TIPS auctions.
    11. Admiral version of Vanguard's funds of funds
I did combine two ideas into the first point because both are about VBS, but maybe they address separate concerns?

And here's the other nominations that didn't receive a "second" .... think these should be in the poll or not?
  • Cancel unfilled mutual fund orders online.
    More fund offerings (both VG and non-VG)
    Statement and annual report householding
    More CD choices
    Moneymarket fund with competitive rates
    Withholding of state income tax for all states on IRA withdrawals.
    Per-account beneficiary designation
    Better checking account (like Charles Schwab or Fidelity)(
    Reach out to the 403b world
    Publish percentage yields for its international stock funds.

kappelmanm

Post by kappelmanm » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:48 pm

Deleted
Last edited by kappelmanm on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

Well, you get to include twenty choices in a poll. And you can specify what number of votes people can make. Why don't you include whatever you think are the twenty "best," and allow people to vote, on, say, up to three, which will force people to prioritize a little.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

nisiprius wrote:Well, you get to include twenty choices in a poll. And you can specify what number of votes people can make. Why don't you include whatever you think are the twenty "best," and allow people to vote, on, say, up to three, which will force people to prioritize a little.
Good idea.
Gordon

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Vanguard Portfolio Allocations are very misleading

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Bogleheads:

My personal beef with Vanguard is their Portfolio Allocations "Pie Charts" showing gains and losses for various stock/bond allocations. Their Portfolio Allocations" show losses only for 1 year when losses often continue for more than one year. The result is that the "Portfolio Allocations" are very misleading about the risk in stocks because they hide losses during long bear markets.

For example: Vanguard Portfolio Allocations show only that the worst annual return for stocks since 1926 was -43.1%. However, actual S&P 500 losses (neglecting dividends) were -28.5% in 1930; -47.1% in 1931; -15.2% in 1932.

Model Portfolios--Risk & Return

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:50 pm

A. Above all the others: Better security - including Two-factor authentication (and MUCH longer passwords option).

1. Better brokerage services
2. More CD choices
3. A moneymarket competitive with the likes of Ally, Cap360 etc. Perhaps a big .9%?
4. 15 and 20 year performance calculations
5. Better asset allocation calculations - at the least, they should be able to calculate their own funds correctly....
6. More integration between brokerage and MF side.
7. Allow users to customize - provide choices for what does and does not display. So many of the columns contain info I couldn't care less about seeing 99.9% of the time. And maybe let us sort funds differently? Alphabetical (currently used) is fairly useless. As it is, bonds, equity, int'l display miscellaneously with essentially no rhyme or reason.
8. My longer-shot request: a "longevity insurance" product with CPI-based inflation adjustments. That is, an inflation-adjusted lifetime SPIA, wherein I choose to forgo all the payments prior to, say, age 85 in exchange for a much smaller premium.

Taken from prior postings - but really says it all.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:22 pm

DrDoodle wrote:Some kind of rebalancing tool (but I admit that I don't have any idea what this would look like or how it would function; it might be impossible to develop a tool that's both powerful enough to be valuable, while also being flexible enough to meet the different needs of different users).
Yes.

I've been writing to Vanguard CEOs for years, asking for an automatic rebalancing feature for IRAs, but they won't do it. ("Thank you for your interest in Vanguard . . .") There's never an actual explanation of why they won't do it other than institutional inertia (they've never done it before), but it's my understanding that such a feature is already available for Vanguard employer-sponsored plans, so the capability is clearly there.

TIAA-CREF offers automatic IRA rebalancing on an annual basis, and at other times on request.

T. Rowe Price offers automatic IRA rebalancing every quarter for any IRA with a total value of at least $10,000. The customer specifies an asset allocation (25% to Fund A, 18% to Fund B, 15% to Fund C etc.), and then the rebalancing just happens, without further case-by-case intervention and the need for the customer to involve Price's telephone staff, until the customer discontinues the rebalancing feature or designates a new allocation.

I can see where automatic rebalancing might not be desirable in a non-retirement account (where almost any movement of monies is a "taxable event"), but it seems ideal for tax-preferenced retirement accounts. And I think that such an account feature would be entirely compatible with Vanguard's emphasis on choosing an individually appropriate asset allocation, sticking to it while tuning out the daily market/media "noise," and avoiding attempts to market-time or frequently trade. Just "set and forget," "put it on autopilot." But, regrettably, they won't do it.

Goldfinger

Post by Goldfinger » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm

A national muni ETF. I'm one of those Fidelity brokerage people who would like to pay far less than the $75 it would cost to purchase a Vanguard muni fund. (Yes, I'm aware of the taxable / tax advantaged workarounds) 8-)
"At cocktail parties lovely ladies would corner me and ask my opinion of the market, but alas, when they learned I was a bond man, they would quietly drift away." -- Sidney Homer/Salomon Bros

tj

Post by tj » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:01 am

sschullo wrote:Reach out to the 403b world, even if the effort costs more than 18 bps (it most certainly will).
???? https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatwe ... ness/403b7

boggler

Post by boggler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I second the Fidelity/schwab-type Cash management account. VanguardAdvantage doesn't compare, and isn't even available above a certain level of assets.

boggler

Post by boggler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:26 pm

I second the Fidelity/schwab-type Cash management account. VanguardAdvantage doesn't compare, and isn't even available above a certain level of assets.

dailybagel

Post by dailybagel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

DrDoodle wrote: And here's the other nominations that didn't receive a "second" .... think these should be in the poll or not?
  • Cancel unfilled mutual fund orders online.
    More fund offerings (both VG and non-VG)
    Statement and annual report householding
    More CD choices
    Moneymarket fund with competitive rates
    Withholding of state income tax for all states on IRA withdrawals.
    Per-account beneficiary designation
    Better checking account (like Charles Schwab or Fidelity)(
    Reach out to the 403b world
    Publish percentage yields for its international stock funds.
Could I suggest you combine two suggestions, for better cash management/banking, and for rates competitive with Ally, into one request:
A vanguard-owned (edit: or Vanguard-associated) online bank, with FDIC insurance, to compete with Ally, ING Direct, TIAA Bank, etc.
Last edited by dailybagel on Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:43 pm

dailybagel wrote: Could I suggest you combine two suggestions, for better cash management/banking, and for rates competitive with Ally, into one request:
A vanguard-owned online bank, with FDIC insurance, to compete with Ally, ING Direct, TIAA Bank, etc.
Vanguard would not even have to own the bank. They could contract with an existing bank similarly to the way they contracted with insurance companies in the past. I would think this would be easier for Vanguard because they would not be getting into the banking business and have to deal with the regulations that apply to banks.
Jeff

enc0re

Post by enc0re » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 pm

1. Fix the managed payout funds, or discontinue them. As they stand they are not Vanguardy.

2. Cut down on the range of mutual funds and ETFs. Vanguard should be simple and cheap. I'm worried about less sophisticated investors getting in over their heads.

3. Admiral shares for Target Retirement funds. 'Unsophisticated' investors who only want to hold one mutual fund shouldn't be penalized. If anything, we should make it the most attractive option because it represents a better strategy than 70%+ of investors can devise for themselves.

4. A cheap, default, inflation-adjusted SPIA that investors are steered to convert into at retirement. Longevity risk is really difficult to manage for the average investor.

5. This is totally irrational, but I've always wished for a flagship stock fund (Total Stock Market, Wellington, or something like it) with a monthly payout schedule. For some silly reason I find the idea of getting a monthly distribution so much more appealing than quarterly.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:39 pm

A class of shares between $10K and $100M or whatever crazy level.

How about $100K or even $500K for reduced fees.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm

And an Ally-like bank would be AWESOME.

I could ditch Ally and my brick and mortar then. Although I like Ally.

kellyfj

Post by kellyfj » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Far and away I really want an easy rebalancing tool,

Fidelity has had one for years and I use it once a year or so.

-Frank

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 am

I just used the "Outside investments" tool on the Balances and Holdings page to track non-Vanguard retirement accounts.

A very handy little gadget, but what's with them not being able to track TSP? Yes, I understand that there aren't ticker symbols for the TSP funds, but it's a pretty whopping sized amount of investors, and the share prices are posted each day around midnight. In the drop-down box, there's a choice for "Federal government", but I had to hand-enter the funds by name, and I'll have to edit the share values periodically. I would think that Vanguard could figure out a way to do this on their end, especially since they do have that Fed category, and there are only 5 funds.* And I'll bet that they have a fair number of TSP'ers who also have Vanguard accounts.

So there's my ask.

And if there is a way to do this at Vanguard, and if someone will kindly explain how, I will withdraw my ask. :D

*OK, 10, including the Lifecycle funds. Still doesn't sound like rocket science.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

lazyday

Post by lazyday » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

- Offer a physical security card or key to those who want one, such as RSA

- Add Security page to site with checkbox choices for higher security such as:
+ Require secure authorisation before transferring any securites from VBS/Vgd
(Remember ACAT is initiated from other firm)
+ Require secure authorisation for any communication including phone and textual
+ Require secure authorised confirmation of reciept of notification of withdrawal before allowing additional withdrawals, after $____ withdrawn
+ Disable alternate security questions when voice recognition fails
+ Require medallian guarantee to replace lost physical security key device
+ Disallow redemptions from tax advantaged accounts until reach 55/59.5, other than conversions to Roth (mainly to prevent accidental withdrawals, but email about unchecking box might add security)

+ Require password for secure authorisation
+ Require voice for secure authorisation
+ Require physical security key for secure authorisation
+ Require any two of the above three
+ Require physical key and either password or voice

- Apply all or a portion of assets in VBS that are not in Vanguard funds toward reduced commissions. $500,000 is a helpful cutoff for customers because of SIPC insurance. My understanding is that SIPC has sometimes been quite aggressive in interpreting rules against brokerage customers, so I am as conservative as possible and will avoid holding over that amount in total assets of any kind with what might be deemed one institution.

dianna

Post by dianna » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Ditto on the following:
floydtime wrote:A real Vanguard H.S.A. with no fees (other than the usual mutual fund fees).
Code Commit wrote:Admiral shares in Individual 401k, please
Gleevec wrote: Bring back Coverdell ESA

tarnation

Post by tarnation » Wed May 01, 2013 3:14 pm

bayview wrote:I just used the "Outside investments" tool on the Balances and Holdings page to track non-Vanguard retirement accounts.

A very handy little gadget, but what's with them not being able to track TSP? Yes, I understand that there aren't ticker symbols for the TSP funds, but it's a pretty whopping sized amount of investors, and the share prices are posted each day around midnight. In the drop-down box, there's a choice for "Federal government", but I had to hand-enter the funds by name, and I'll have to edit the share values periodically. I would think that Vanguard could figure out a way to do this on their end, especially since they do have that Fed category, and there are only 5 funds.* And I'll bet that they have a fair number of TSP'ers who also have Vanguard accounts.

So there's my ask.

And if there is a way to do this at Vanguard, and if someone will kindly explain how, I will withdraw my ask. :D

*OK, 10, including the Lifecycle funds. Still doesn't sound like rocket science.
It has been a while since I set it up, but IIRC you put in TSP and password just like any other institution and it pulls the amounts automagically. They are categorized as other, though. :(

bayview

Post by bayview » Wed May 01, 2013 9:43 pm

tarnation wrote:
bayview wrote:I just used the "Outside investments" tool on the Balances and Holdings page to track non-Vanguard retirement accounts.

So there's my ask.

It has been a while since I set it up, but IIRC you put in TSP and password just like any other institution and it pulls the amounts automagically. They are categorized as other, though. :(
Thank you! I will give it another whack.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu May 02, 2013 10:39 am

Specific share identification for mutual fund and brokerage sales - for identification of cost basis on shares.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

tarnation

Post by tarnation » Thu May 02, 2013 2:44 pm

leonard wrote:Specific share identification for mutual fund and brokerage sales - for identification of cost basis on shares.
Don't They already have this?

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu May 02, 2013 2:55 pm

tarnation wrote:
leonard wrote:Specific share identification for mutual fund and brokerage sales - for identification of cost basis on shares.
Don't They already have this?
Not that I have seen - unless they added the functionality in the last few months.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.