Exchanging funds in Roth IRA.

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
zucckerbugger

Exchanging funds in Roth IRA.

Post by zucckerbugger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Stupid question but .... If I want to exchange 1000 dollars of total bond for TIPS inside my vanguard Roth IRA it doesn't matter which shares I exchange correct? I just click exchange, plug in the info and that's it right? No tax consequences or anything....

Thank You :happy

livesoft

Re: Exchanging funds in Roth IRA.

Post by livesoft » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Correct. It doesn't matter. Which TIPS fund are you going to use? What is the initial minimum purchase amount?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

zucckerbugger

Post by zucckerbugger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:06 pm

I already own VIPSX IN THERE. Just doing a little rebalancing. Haven't really decided on percentages of the various parts of my bond portion of my portfolio but TIPS is down compared to my starting amount so gonna move a little from total bond to TIPS.

zucckerbugger

Post by zucckerbugger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Another stupid question .. Do you rebalance based on the current total INCLUDING the dividends or NOT INCLUDING the dividends? I would think INCLUDING ....?

moneytobless

Post by moneytobless » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I would think it depends on whether or not you reinvest them. I don't reinvest, but have my dividends moved to my money market account. So I don't include dividends in my account total. But if you do reinvest, then they would be a part of your total when rebalancing.

zucckerbugger

Post by zucckerbugger » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:23 pm

moneytobless wrote:I would think it depends on whether or not you reinvest them. I don't reinvest, but have my dividends moved to my money market account. So I don't include dividends in my account total. But if you do reinvest, then they would be a part of your total when rebalancing.

I reinvest them. Stupid question. most certainly part of total.....duh