Finding yield spreads and other historical financial data

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Tyr0ne

Finding yield spreads and other historical financial data

Post by Tyr0ne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I am proud/ashamed to admit that other than Rick's and Mike's finance blogs, Bogleheads, Vanguard, and Morningstar, I don't use many other sources for finding data or reading articles (/"noise). I am trying to broaden my horizons. It seems like people on this forum, especially the veterans, are always referencing historical points, whether it's bond yield spreads (e.g. US bonds vs. high-yield), PE or PB ratio patterns and trends, performance of particular sectors, or particular parts of the style box (i.e., large cap value, SCV, etc.).

My intentions are pure, at least for now. My asset allocation is locked in. I would just love to be able to look these kinds of things up.

I checked out the Data Tools and Data section in the Wiki and Reference section, but couldn't really find anything as comprehensive as I imagined, or as simple as I had hoped.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson

rmelvey

Re: Finding yield spreads and other historical financial dat

Post by rmelvey » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:10 pm

First things first, download the FRED plug in for excel. It is amazing and it has a ton of economics data and some finance data. There are plenty of spreads in there as well as a couple of Total Return indices by day.

kwyjibo

Post by kwyjibo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:07 am

If you have an iPhone or iPad there is a St. Louis FED app called FRED (I think) with lots of data in it. The St Louis FED website may be good too. http://research.stlouisfed.org/
Last edited by kwyjibo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exeunt

Post by exeunt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

FRED is the best place. Easy to use once you get the hang of it.