Vanguard Health Fund

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
gdetore

Vanguard Health Fund

Post by gdetore »

Hi,
I know this fund is closed to new investors so a post may be of little interest to many, but could someone enlighten me as to why this fund has such dramatic rises and falls? Aside from the months that it pays out dividends and the nav is changed to reflect it, why does this fund move over two dollars on some days? The only other fund I see doing that is the VGENX, and I can see how that might be a reflection of all the speculation in oil. But health care companies? Just curious why this fund is such a bouncy one. Thanks in advance if anyone has a/the reason.
Gary
sport

Re: Vanguard Health Fund

Post by sport »

gdetore wrote:Hi,
I know this fund is closed to new investors so a post may be of little interest to many, but could someone enlighten me as to why this fund has such dramatic rises and falls? Aside from the months that it pays out dividends and the nav is changed to reflect it, why does this fund move over two dollars on some days? The only other fund I see doing that is the VGENX, and I can see how that might be a reflection of all the speculation in oil. But health care companies? Just curious why this fund is such a bouncy one. Thanks in advance if anyone has a/the reason.
Gary
The reason for the apparently large changes is that the share price is about $143 per share. On a percentage basis, it is not much different than most other funds.

Best wishes,
Jeff
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Oh, I guess it's the same reason that the DJIA moves over 200 points some days :)

For more bounciness, check out EEM and VWO.
Topic Author
gdetore

Vanguard health fund

Post by gdetore »

Oh, yeah, duh. I forgot the high share price. Guess I better go back to eighth grade and re-do my fractions percentages homework.
thanks for the respectful answer to a poorly thought out question
gary
jh

Re: Vanguard Health Fund

Post by jh »

Last edited by jh on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

livesoft wrote:Oh, I guess it's the same reason that the DJIA moves over 200 points some days :)

For more bounciness, check out EEM and VWO.
You should see some of the daily swings in Berkshire Hathaway's price :D

Best wishes.
Andy