1,812% Gain in the next 219 Days

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

1,812% Gain in the next 219 Days

Post by Rick Ferri »

Who needs Bernie Madoff when we can have this investment?

“Turn Pocket Change Into a Fortune…Nobel Prize Winning Discovery Could Bring You a 1,812% Gain in the Next 219 Days…Those investing as little as $95 in (COMPANY TICKER) could be $156,000 richer in 2013.”

That’s what the flyer said that I received in the mail today from a company called Double-Stocks.

Is this for real? Yes it is, and it’s legal under freedom of the press. The company isn’t selling anything. They’re not a broker or a financial analyst. They state in the fine print that they’re a marketing and advertising firm that’s paid by the companies to promote their stocks, such as this “Nobel Prize Winning” hot one.

How do they get away with this? They don’t write anything that someone else hasn’t written someplace else, whether it’s the company or some source of other public information including third party websites. In this case, they paid an "expert" to write a report.

Every sentence suggesting value in the brochure has caveat; it “could” bring you 1,812% in gains; the company “could” be sitting on a multimillion dollar “according to” a top geologist report, this mine has world class “potential” and an investment in the company “might” make you 20 times richer in 2013. The “potential” is exciting, and it’s strongly “possible.” And the caveats go on and on.

The back of the brochure has a picture of some self-proclaimed penny stock picking guru who charges $445 for 13 issues of his newsletter (that’s $150 off the regular price – what a deal!). This is the expert who is claiming the “Nobel Prize Winning Discovery” stock could turn $950 into $20,000 in 2013. Some fine print on another page in the brochure says the guy was paid $7,500 for this “advertising campaign” and will earn an unknown amount from new subscriptions to his newsletter as a result of this brochure.

I went to this so-called expert’s website. There’s no mention of the feature stock although he does claim that gold is going over $6,000 per ounce. There is testimony claiming that he called every major market movement in every asset class over the last 50 years including stocks, bonds, commodities and gold, with the only exception being 1987 because he was “working overseas” whatever that means.

Doubling-Stocks, the company sending out this marketing brochure, is a fully owned subsidiary of Calunam Systems LTD located in Belize, a Central American country bordering Mexico. Don’t bother searching the internet for Calunam Systems. The only reference you’ll find is a link back to the Doubling-Stocks website.

Here is my question. How many people are going to get suckered into buying this stock or subscribing to this huckster $445 newsletter when he is paid by companies to write glowing recommendations? Unfortunately, probably hundreds if not thousands of people will take the bait.

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
Default User BR

Re: 1,812% Gain in the next 219 Days

Post by Default User BR »

Rick Ferri wrote:Who needs Bernie Madoff when we can have this investment?

“Turn Pocket Change Into a Fortune…Nobel Prize Winning Discovery Could Bring You a 1,812% Gain in the Next 219 Days…Those investing as little as $95 in (COMPANY TICKER) could be $156,000 richer in 2013.”

That’s what the flyer said that I received in the mail today from a company called Double-Stocks.
In the mail? That's so last millennium.

Brian
Topic Author
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Default User BR wrote: In the mail? That's so last millennium.

Brian
It get's worse. The only way to subscribe to the penny-stock picking guru's $455 newsletter is to print off an entire webpage, clip an ancient looking form off the bottom of the page and mail it with a personal check to a P.O. box in Palm Beach, Florida. Not that I'm doing that, mind you!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Do I get discount if I order two subscriptions?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Ever hear about the supposedly-real depression-era scam? The ad said "Guaranteed to Kill Cockroaches." You sent in a dollar, and received by return post two tongue depressors and an instruction sheet, telling you to place the cockroach between the tongue depressors and squeeze.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Tyr0ne

Post by Tyr0ne »

Rick Ferri wrote: Here is my question. How many people are going to get suckered into buying this stock or subscribing to this huckster $445 newsletter when he is paid by companies to write glowing recommendations? Unfortunately, probably hundreds if not thousands of people will take the bait.
I'm not buyin' it. I'll take my chances with the $10,000 I sent to that Nigerian prince.

Financial education and empowerment remains a huge gap in secondary and post-secondary schooling, hopefully not for years to come.
There are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves - Neil deGrasse Tyson
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

Quite frankly, a sucker deserve what they get. On the other hand, casteration sound about right for the flim-flammer.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I always wonder why the people touting these stocks don't just keep their traps shut and make all the money themselves...?

The good old pump and dump.

:twisted:
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
BillyG

Post by BillyG »

How about the Cabana Portfolio?
http://www.cabanaportfolio.com/homepage-welcome

Q. What are the costs of the model portfolio?
A. Fees are simple, straightforward and comprehensive. There are no hidden costs, loads or redemption fees. Your account is charged as follows: 3% per annum of the net asset value up to $1,000,000 US dollars, 2% per annum on net asset values between $1,000,000 and $9,000,000 US dollars and 1% per annum of all net asset values above $10,000,000 US dollars. Your custodian/broker computes and deducts applicable fees on a daily basis. All such fees are reflected in your reports and statements.

It's designed to buy a beach cabana for someone!
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Quite frankly, a sucker deserve what they get.
I disagree. Lies and theft are lies and theft whether the victims are smart people or dumb people.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
magician

Post by magician »

That's not even 3.5% per day; what's so unusual about that?
Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.
stingray5688

Post by stingray5688 »

Did the flyer call it a "top dog and first mover" as well?
"Don't be emotional about investing. So even a first investment should not be exciting." - livesoft
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

tc101 wrote:
I disagree. Lies and theft are lies and theft whether the victims are smart people or dumb people.
I disagree as well. I've received these and the fine print is so small that it's almost unreadable. It may be legal, but it's a deliberate attempt to mislead and obfuscate in every way possible.
Steve | Semper Fi
FredPeterson

Post by FredPeterson »

What was the ticker so we can follow it, or did you have to ship mobnies first?
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

“Turn Pocket Change Into a Fortune…Nobel Prize Winning Discovery Could Bring You a 1,812% Gain in the Next 219 Days…Those investing as little as $95 in (Tulips?) could be $156,000 richer in 2013.”
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
SSSS

Post by SSSS »

Rick Ferri wrote:Is this for real? Yes it is, and it’s legal under freedom of the press.
I wonder what the Nobel people's lawyers would think about that.
papito23

Post by papito23 »

tc101 wrote:
+1 I don't contend the authors' right to publish (although no freedom can be absolute), but s/he's breaking a more important moral code anyway.

Best possible financial stimulus for our country would be funding personal finance courses in K-12 and require them for graduation.
A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. -Aldo Leopold's Golden Rule of Ecology
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

You could bet on a number in roulette. If you win, you'll get 30 to 1, or 3000%.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Rick Ferri wrote:
Default User BR wrote: In the mail? That's so last millennium.

Brian
It get's worse. The only way to subscribe to the penny-stock picking guru's $455 newsletter is to print off an entire webpage, clip an ancient looking form off the bottom of the page and mail it with a personal check to a P.O. box in Palm Beach, Florida. Not that I'm doing that, mind you!

Rick Ferri
And once they get your personal check, they have the account and routing numbers to do with what they please.