Fess up, Bogleheads - what is your portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.

What is the basic construction of your portfolio?

Three-fund portfolio (TSM, TISM, Bonds)
27%
Core + Tilt (3-fund plus SV or something else such as REIT for flavor)
32%
Slice & Dice (Several large slices without a core holding)
23%
Low Beta high tilt (Swedroe Fat Tail)
1%
Permanent Portfolio or similar
3%
Individual Stocks for my equity slice
2%
100% equity
3%
Other
9%

Total votes: 319

kenyan

Fess up, Bogleheads - what is your portfolio?

Post by kenyan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 am

I wonder at times what the true cross-section of portfolio constructions is around here, and I'm sure the newer forum residents might be curious about how many Bogleheads walk the walk with something as simple as a 3-fund, which is the most common recommendation for an inexperienced investor. Naturally, you can still follow the tenets of the Bogleheads' Investment Philosophy (in my opinion) with any of the listed options, excepting perhaps 100% stocks. I imagine that somewhere, this poll has been done in the past, but I haven't seen one since I joined about two years ago.

With respect to the lazy portfolios listed in the wiki, I'd consider Ferri's Core Four and Swensen's portfolio to be "Core + Tilt"; Schultheis's 7-slice Coffeehouse, Bernstein's Coward, and Armstrong's Ideal portfolios would be "Slice and Dice." Vanguard Target Retirement and LifeStrategy would be 3-Fund portfolios.

My portfolio is a Slice & Dice with 7 equity asset classes (LB, LV, SV, REIT, ILB, ILV, ISB).

P.S. Accumulators only, please. :sharebeer
Retirement investing is a marathon.

gkaplan

Re: Fess up, Bogleheads - what is your portfolio?

Post by gkaplan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:19 am

Seven-slice dicer here, with three domestic equity funds and four foreign equity funds. (Just one fixed income fund for now, though.)
Gordon

mikem

Post by mikem » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:23 am

core 3 here + reits and some old individual stocks I have owned for 30 years.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:23 am

35% S&P 500
15% Small Cap
30% TISM
20% TBM

I would be a pure 3-fund person if all of my accounts directly supported that. For example, I have to build the TISM with a combo of funds from my 401k, HSA, and taxable.

The above percentages are my goal.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:24 am

Hybrid Core + Tilt + Large Cap Value individual equities slice - I voted other. Am holding a Core Index portfolio with a slight Small Cap/Emerging Market Value Tilt with a large cap value dividend paying (low-beta) individual equity slice. Core Index composed of Total Stock Market, Total Bond and Total International ex-US.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:25 am

100% LifeStrategy Growth (which could be interpreted as the 3 fund portfolio).
Mike Piper, author/blogger

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:26 am

The "equities" part is 2/3 of a 3-fund portfolio: 80% Total Stock, 20% Total International, no factor tilts.

The "bonds" part is about 40% Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund, about 40% individual TIPS (with a small holding of VIPSX to serve as a "buffer"), about 20% series I savings bonds. If you like you could say that my fixed-income holdings are heavily tilted toward directly-inflation-indexed vehicles.

About 5% is in a TIAA Traditional Account that's being paid out in ten annual installment, and is about halfway through that process. I've never known how to count that. It fluctuates and grows about like a core bond fund, but because of restrictions on liquidation it's less accessible than a bond fund.

In what I call my "cash-and-almost-cash" allocation, which besides various bank accounts and CDs also includes some Vanguard Short-Term Bond Index and Limited-Term Tax Exempt. I don't consider these part of my "bond" allocation because their purpose is not to make the bond segment more conservative--it's to make the cash segment less conservative.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

LH

Post by LH » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:29 am

14 percent each: us tsm, us scv, us REIT, australiaasia, europe, emerging
8 percent each: us tips, us aggregate bonds

FillorKill

Post by FillorKill » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:39 am

US: LB/MB/SB/SV/REIT

INT: LB/SB

I’m not in love with this set-up but this is where simplification, asset class investing, limited tax advantaged space and existing cap gain constraints have intersected for me.

If I could start over I would do it differently [wouldn’t we all?].
Last edited by FillorKill on Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Money

Post by G-Money » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:41 am

Current equity allocation:
10% REIT
20% SCV
30% TSM
40% TISM

Strongly considering:
1/3 TSM
1/3 TISM
1/3 SCV

Bonds are:
50% TBM
50% TIPS

My rationale: REITs and SCV seem to be very highly correlated, and I'm becoming increasingly convinced that these finely-tuned allocations just don't matter much in the scheme of things. Thus, I'm strongly considering just putting 20% each in TSM, TISM, SCV, TBM, and TIPS, and leaving it that way forever. Makes for a 60/40 portfolio with a bit of a tilt to SCV and TIPS.

I voted "Core + Tilt."
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:43 am

From our IPS:
25% TSM
25% FTSE All World ex-US
10% Value Index
10% REIT Index
10% SCV Index
10% Emerging Market Index
10% Precious Metals and Mining
Pretty much unchanged since 2000. Moved from Tax Managed international to FTSE All World in 2008.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

HongKonger

Post by HongKonger » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 am

11 fund slice and dice plus small handful of individual stocks. Roughly 85% equity, 10% REIT, 5% bonds. Overweight EM and Asia with a SC tilt. Rest of world large cap tilt.

empb

Post by empb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am

I'm 85% equities, 10% bonds and 5% cash. I include everything in my AA. That means checking accounts, 'emergency funds', etc.

Equities are 50% US, 37.5% EAFE, 12.5% EM, and as tilted as I can manage based on plan constraints. Currently, I'd estimate around 1.00/0.50/0.50. Bonds are 100% short-term treasuries.

That's probably more Slice and Dice than Larry. I refrained from voting.
Last edited by empb on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 am

Well, I answered, but I have to confess I'm unclear on the distinction between options 2 and 3. How would I know if I had a core or a few large slices.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:00 pm

Easy as can be:

50% domestic equity
25% international equity
25% bond

I've thought about tossing in a REIT fund one of these days. Not in any real hurry.

JJ
Stay on target...

investor

Post by investor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm

80% of ira in Wellington and Wellesley funds.
Other 20% is elastic play money in stocks & funds
IRA no taxes or costs to market time with the 20%.

investor

zaga21

Post by zaga21 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:15 pm

mhc wrote:35% S&P 500
15% Small Cap
30% TISM
20% TBM

I would be a pure 3-fund person if all of my accounts directly supported that. For example, I have to build the TISM with a combo of funds from my 401k, HSA, and taxable.

The above percentages are my goal.
Almost exactly this, only with slightly different percentages.
Zaga

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:21 pm

Aptenodytes wrote:Well, I answered, but I have to confess I'm unclear on the distinction between options 2 and 3. How would I know if I had a core or a few large slices.
The confusion is understandable, and there's some grey area. The intention is that if you use TSM/S&P as your largest (domestic) holding, and then add other classes to it such as Small Value, REIT, or whatever to tilt away from a market-weighted allocation, you'd be Option 2. If you have equal parts TSM, SV, TISM, and International Small (or EM or whatever), I'd call that S&D, Option 3. Basically, if you are starting with the entire market and adding to it, Option 2. If you are selecting various asset classes (one of which might be TSM) without regard to their market weight and holding large chunks of each, that's Option 3.

Holding S&P 500 and then Extended Market or another fund to try to replicate the US market would be another flavor of 3-fund IMO, unless you hold excess Extended Market/Small Cap.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

Popeye5782

Post by Popeye5782 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:23 pm

401k-
30% S&P 500
20% International minus EM
15% Small cap
15% EM
10% TBM
10% TIPS

Roth IRA
100% Target Retirement 2045

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:27 pm

kenyan wrote:
Aptenodytes wrote:Holding S&P 500 and then Extended Market or another fund to try to replicate the US market would be another flavor of 3-fund IMO, unless you hold excess Extended Market/Small Cap.
This would be me, because a decent total market fund is not offered in the 401k. I also hold TIPS in addition to Total Bond, but I don't really consider that a deviation from the 3 fund, but others might, I guess.

I'd like to have things very simple, but having two non-Vanguard 401ks in the family make that impossible.

JT

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:31 pm

kenyan wrote:
Aptenodytes wrote:Well, I answered, but I have to confess I'm unclear on the distinction between options 2 and 3. How would I know if I had a core or a few large slices.
The confusion is understandable, and there's some grey area. The intention is that if you use TSM/S&P as your largest (domestic) holding, and then add other classes to it such as Small Value, REIT, or whatever to tilt away from a market-weighted allocation, you'd be Option 2. If you have equal parts TSM, SV, TISM, and International Small (or EM or whatever), I'd call that S&D, Option 3. Basically, if you are starting with the entire market and adding to it, Option 2. If you are selecting various asset classes (one of which might be TSM) without regard to their market weight and holding large chunks of each, that's Option 3.

Holding S&P 500 and then Extended Market or another fund to try to replicate the US market would be another flavor of 3-fund IMO, unless you hold excess Extended Market/Small Cap.
Seems reasonable enough, though in practice you could end up with portfolios in 2 and 3 that have identical Morningstar box scores, or even an option-3 portfolio that is more similar to TSM than an option-2 portfolio.

Another way to ask the same question is a set of yes-no choices:

Do you tilt to value?
Do you tilt to small?
Do you have a target for REITs?
Do you have other tilts?

You would need to clarify that "tilt" meant overweight compared to the total market. Once in a while people use the word as if it means setting any target, even if equal to or lower than the market.

Anyway, I guessed right when I chose option 3 (I answer yes/yes/yes/no to my four questions).

thebogledude

Post by thebogledude » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 pm

Individual stocks and i-bonds in taxable.
Currently three-fund portfolio in tax advantaged (70/30 AA).
The more time I spend on here, the more I prefer David Swensen's Lazy Portfolio..
Last edited by thebogledude on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:35 pm

39 years old:

The tilted espresso vegematic portfolio (all Vanguard mutual funds):

16% each: US large cap value, US small cap value, emerging markets

8% each: International small, International value, US REIT, International REIT

20% Inter-term US Treasury

It slices, it dices, it tilts, it's domestic and international, yet it leaves me feeling balanced and diversified.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Seven funds or three funds?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Bottlecap:

Unfortunately, we have a seven-fund portfolio because we are stuck with taxable funds purchased long ago that now have large-capital gains which will be triggered if we exchange to my preferred Three-Fund Portfolio

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

C319

Post by C319 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:43 pm

35% Total Stock Market Index
35% Total International Stock Index
15% Total Bond Market Index
15% TSP G-Fund

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:12 pm

99.4% of equities are in TSM and TISM - or components thereof. The exception is a small holding in Plum Creek Timber (PCL) - a timber REIT that pays a dividend which is treated as a capital gain. I won't live long enough to offset my tax loss carry forward against ordinary income, so the dividends are effectively tax free until tax laws change.

The bonds? All over the place - TBM, junk, Intermediate Term Investment Grade, emerging market debt and I bonds. Since I believe the bond market is very efficient, a little playing there is not likely to be harmful.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I voted S&D. However I do have larger positions in TSM and EAFE. So, the Core+Tilt was also a possible answer.

As I recall from an earlier poll, most Bogleheads do tilt. This poll seems to be backing that up.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

rmark1

Post by rmark1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:32 pm

40% US stock, 40% Int'l stock, 10% reit, 10% cash

not counting the wifes expected fixed pension

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Slice and dice, small and value tilts.

Funds without tickers are in the 401(k). Some complexity due to tax-loss harvesting.

MGC
S&P 500 Index Fund
VTV
Company Stock Fund
Russell 2000 Index Fund
IJS
VBR
VNQ
VGK
VPL
International Index Fund
EFV
VSS
VWO
EE Bonds
Bond Market Index Fund
Stable Value Fund

Brian

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:12 pm

I suspect most of us have our hands tied in some way that keeps us from having our ideal portfolio. Some of us have little tax sheltered space. Others have plenty of tax sheltered space, but not very good investment options. Some are juggling multiple retirement accounts, each with different options. And still others started their portfolios before becoming bogleheads, and have older holdings that don't make sense to sell. So there is often a gap between what we'd like to have and what we do have, but we fill it in as best we can.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 pm

Core 3 for us. I don't even know what tilting or slice and dice means. And I don't care to know. According to Taylor Larimore's Core 3 threads, I don't need to know. Simplicity is bliss.

I plan to add VIPSX back to the line-up once I have a big enough portfolio to make the $50k threshold for Admiral Shares while maintaining my AA or Vanguard lowers it to $10k

scone

Post by scone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:48 pm

What epilnk said above. Mine looks like a core and tilt, more than anything else, but not because of some grand analysis on my part. It reflects the history of my life as an investor. Some of it is embarrassing, like my big hair and puffy sleeve photos from the 80's. :oops:
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Core + tilt with REIT.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm

35/65.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Hub

Post by Hub » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:10 pm

I would prefer something much more simple, but my 401k is with Schwab so I am limited to their funds and ETFs if I want free trades so this takes my SCV tilt desires elsewhere. As my Roth balances at Vanguard continue to grow I'll keep getting this thing closer to where I want it.

Goal:
32.5% TISM
20.0% TSM
12.5% SCV
10.0% REIT
30.0% Fixed Income

Actual:
20.3% ILB
5.3% EM
2.6% ISCB
18% LB
9.6% SCV
1.5% SCB
11.8% REIT
31.1% Fixed Income

So I guess this makes me Core + Tilt + REIT, though my fixed income portion is mostly my wife's pension cash value.
Last edited by Hub on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

50/50 stocks/bonds; 4-fund (the 3 usual suspects plus national intermediate-term muni).

Any slicing and dicing is confined to our kitchen activities :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Taxable
14% Total US
7% SV
10% Total Int
5% Small Cap x US
4% Commodities (PCRIX)
5% IT Tax Ex

IRA
20% IT Inv Grade
10% REIT
10% Hi Yield
15% GNMA

also hold some Wellesley and Wellington outside this portfolio in equal amounts and = to about 10% of total above and a small Roth not counted above.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:06 pm

I guess I'm a slicer and dicer, with pretty equal shares of TBM, TSM, TIPS, short term and intermedate term bond funds.

Oh, and Target 2020 in my Roth. When I get more money in there I may tilt to small-midcap.

phish_indexer

Post by phish_indexer » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:30 pm

I fully slice and dice, and at age 26, it's probably not recommended that I do so since I have a small amount invested. But I have 4 accounts to juggle (HSA, 401k, IRA, and taxable) and ETFs and a custom Google Docs spreadsheet make it easy and fun. So...

16.5% each domestic large and mid/small value
11% each developed large cap, emerging large cap, and int'l mid/small cap
10% REIT, split between domestic and int'l
6% commodities (I use GCC)
18% bonds, currently all nominal though I plan to buy some I bonds before year's end

E fund is not included since I wouldn't use it for re-balancing.

athrone

Post by athrone » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

I voted "other"

60% GTU/Gold Bullion
15% FXSIX (S&P 500)
15% VTSNX (Total International ex-US)
10% VBTIX (Total Bond Market)

Overall expense ratio = 0.08%

John Z

Post by John Z » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Coffeehouse (retired, slice and dice)

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:05 pm

"Any slicing and dicing is confined to our kitchen activities".

Me too.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 pm

I do the "Core 4", except we split the bonds 50/50 TBM and TIPS

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:09 pm

TSM, FTSE Large, TBM, TIPS fund.
Wiki

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Rather simple:
VBIAX (Balanced fund, 60/40 stock/bond) plus I-Bonds.

Presently more bonds than equities, but shooting for around 50/50.

Just one fund (VBIAX). Simplicity is grand!
pjstack

FinanceFun

Post by FinanceFun » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:35 pm

Straight from my IPS:

• US Total Stock Market – 23% (VTI, VV)
• US Small Cap Value – 12% (IJS, VBR)
• REIT – 10% (VNQ)
• International Large Cap –12% (VEU, VXUS)
• International Small Cap Value – 6% (VSS)
• Emerging Market Equities – 12% (EEM, VWO)
• Intermediate Term Bond – 15% (PTTRX, BND, EE-Bonds, BSV, VWITX)
• Inflation Bonds – 5% (iBonds, TIP)
• Short Tem – 5% (BSV)

I am no more then 1% off on any of these, and less than 0.6% off of my target 75/25 base allocation.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:12 pm

Currently, about:

30% equity (50% US, 50% International)
5% Real Estate (outside of home)
Balance is various types of bonds
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

peppers

Post by peppers » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:44 pm

S&P 500 / SmMid 44%
globalmegacorp 6%

Total Bond 40%
GNMA 10%
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:10 pm

TSM-55.1%
TISM-23.6%
TBM-21.3%

Click a button to purchase twice a month and that's about the extent of what I do. Actually, a couple clicks for my wife's as well. Ah, being lazy is easy.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

maitrina

Post by maitrina » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Guaranteed/Stable 20%
Inflation Protected Fixed Income 16%
Bond Index 10%
TIAA Real Estate 14%
US Stock Index 18%
US Small Cap Blend Index 5%
Love & Happiness Index 42%
International Index 18%
"I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money." - Pablo Picasso