THANKS FOR BOGLEHEADS XI

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
jack bogle

THANKS FOR BOGLEHEADS XI

Post by jack bogle »

To my wonderful Bogleheads,

Those few hours that I spent with you at Bogleheads XI will be among my most treasured memories of a splendid 2012!

On Wednesday evening, that cascade of accolades (while embarrassing and humbling) gave me even more strength to carry on. Truth told, there's nothing quite like "straight from the heart" comments from "real, honest-to-God down-to earth human beings" (a phrase you've heard before) to bring home to me some idea of the impact that my work and character have apparently had on you. To each one of you, thanks!

Thanks, too, for your lovely gift of a miniature Independence Hall, the real version of which reposes right across the mall from the National Constitution Center, where I still serve in emeritus status. Right above the fireplace in my den at home hangs the mounted regimental bugle you gave me at Bogleheads II; below it on the mantel sit your last three wonderful gifts, the Liberty Bell, the LOVE sculpture, and now Independence Hall. (Getting crowded!) All reminders that we live in a great country.

Of course, even as I write this note, America faces huge challenges. I discuss many of them--including the challenges facing investors today--in a four-part interview with Christine Benz videotaped at Bogleheads XI. She does interviews with style, grace, and professionalism, and they are available on morningstar.com. Despite thes challenges, you know my advice: STAY THE COURSE!

See you at Bogleheads XII, God willing. Bless you all.

Jack
Taylor Larimore

Re: THANKS FOR BOGLEHEADS XI

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Jack:

Thank you for your message to your Bogleheads whose forum headline includes these words:

"Investing Advice Inspired by the Wisdom of Jack Bogle."

Pat and I try to read everything you write or say. We have learned to know its value. After all, we live in our home that "Jack built."

Best wishes always
Taylor & Pat
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

What a great gift Jack Bogle has given to us all! Couple his MONUMENTAL contributions to the investor with his humility and you have a rare find, a true ROLE MODEL!!!
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Thank you, Mr. Bogle, for attending, sharing and inspiring. Your work and what has come out of it have secured my financial future, from Vanguard itself to the Bogleheads forum and other authors, researchers and professionals following in your footsteps. I went from a confused mix of individual stocks and active mutual funds to a streamlined index portfolio and balanced stock/bond allocation thanks to the philosophy you have championed.

Special thanks, too, for not only making compelling presentations and participating in helpful discussions, but also taking the time to listen to all of our introductions and answer so many of our questions. How you have the energy, I'll never know (at ~30, I don't know that I could have been the active center of attention for hours on end, days in a row!) Oh and the book signing: thank you for being willing to sign not only mine but the few from family members I brought along as well!

Taylor: I am sorry I did not get a chance to meet you this year, and hope you are well. You were my first introduction to this forum and got me started on the right foot. I also recently got a sibling to use a three-fund portfolio, inspired by you, for their childrens' 529 plans, which helps me feel more secure about their futures, too. I will also say that, even in your absence, we had a room full of genuine grins when the audience was told you call yours "the home that Jack built" and it was great hearing stories about you via Mel's descriptions of other Bogleheads events to date.
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

Many thanks, Jack, for everything that your work and vision has provided my family.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead »

Jack, thank you for so much!

I always had an interest in money matters. Despite my studies, I never felt comfortable about investing until I read your first book, "Bogle on Mutual Funds". I am one of so many who are grateful that you set Vanguard up with its unique mutual ownership structure. Thank you for helping the little guy get a fair shake. Vanguard and the Boglehead philosophy that you pioneered are a dream come true.

I am so happy that I was able to talk to you again this year at BH11 and again express my gratitude.

Best wishes,

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
chaz

Post by chaz »

Jack, thank you for having accomplished so much helping investors. You are remarkable.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

As an investor who has used Vanguard for 30 years, I thank Jack Bogle for his vision and leadership in developing the market leader in no-load, low-cost mutual funds (as well as index funds for the masses). Products like these allow investors like us to keep more money in our pockets and makes it a little bit easier for us to achieve our goals.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thank you, Jack. I will forever remember your complement to me for the work on our wiki (which is a tribute to all of the wiki editors). Of course, we have added your videos.

Wiki article link: Bogleheads® 11 Videos
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

jack bogle wrote:To my wonderful Bogleheads,

Those few hours that I spent with you at Bogleheads XI will be among my most treasured memories of a splendid 2012!

On Wednesday evening, that cascade of accolades (while embarrassing and humbling) gave me even more strength to carry on. Truth told, there's nothing quite like "straight from the heart" comments from "real, honest-to-God down-to earth human beings" (a phrase you've heard before) to bring home to me some idea of the impact that my work and character have apparently had on you. ...
...Jack
I am so glad you mentioned the impact on the Bogleheads of both your work AND character, for while we all well know the financial benefits to us, it is your character that we have benefitted from as much and possibly more. In "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing," you wrote that you applied the words of the late journalist Michael Kelly to your "idealistic self": "The driving dream (of the idealist) is that if he could only explain things to enough people, carefully enough, thoroughly enough, thoughtfully enough - why, eventually everyone would see, and then everything would be fixed." Well, a lot of us, millions really, now "see" and a lot has been fixed because of your idealistic self. Still, we all know I'm sure that despite the amazing accomplishments, the driving dream will keep right on driving.

Thank you, Mr. Bogle.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

Thanks Jack, for always fighting to give us a fair shake!
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Dear Jack,

It was wonderful to see you again at BH XI and give you a hug, and get a photo taken with you. (Thanks Mike N. =) )

Thank you for being there for us in person, and also sharing your wisdom in your books, speeches, and videotapes. It makes me feel very safe to be able to watch you whenever the need arises for me, especially when the roller coaster known as the stock market gives us a wild ride. Because you have taught us the the market goes up, and the market goes down, we won't freak out when it hits bottom. We just stay strapped in knowing we bought the correct ticket (asset allocation) and continue on the ride.

If we didn't know any better we'd exit the ride at the bottom like so many people did, and subsequently loose our hard earned money. But as we know, if you don't get on the roller coaster there really is no hope of earning any kind of reasonable return on alternate investments, such as money market funds, savings accounts, and cds, which have all been pretty bleak with no sign of improving any time soon.

Once again, thank you for sharing your time with us, and all you do for us.

With best wishes to you always,
Kathleen Ryan
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Thanks so much, Jack, for honoring us with your continued relationship with your Bogleheads. Your attendance makes our events so special. I continue to hear nothing but great things from attendees about getting to meet you, their "hero". You are, indeed, a hero to the millions of investors who've achieved financial independence because of you and Vanguard.

Stay well. See you next year.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Thank you so much Mr. Bogle for being such an inspiration and going the extra mile. I hope to see you at many more reunions.
jidina80

Post by jidina80 »

Mr. Bogle, Jack, it is a pleasure to read your note here. You have made a big difference in my life, and I, in turn, have had the opportunity to make a big difference in the lives of a few others in their investing success. Your impact is 'snowballing'.

While I did not have the pleasure of participating in the recent Bogleheads convention or meeting you, I have read most of your books and really appreciate the wisdom that you have expressed in the words and charts of those writings. I thank you. I hope that you, too, will stay the course!

Just Idina (Fiji)