Ford

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Lynxville

Ford

Post by Lynxville »

I bought F at $1.14 and should of sold at 18.00 but didn't. Now I am wondering if I should sell or hold? What does everyone think?
Sidney

Re: Ford

Post by Sidney »

Lynxville wrote:I bought F at $1.14 and should of have sold at 18.00 but didn't. Now I am wondering if I should sell or hold? What does everyone think?
Holding individual stocks is risky unless you have a fully diversified portfolio. I'd be inclined to sell it off.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Lynxville wrote:I bought F at $1.14 and should of sold at 18.00 but didn't. Now I am wondering if I should sell or hold? What does everyone think?
Greedy... eh!

Why did you buy? If you were speculating, $9.19 today is quite a nice return; meantime, the undiversified risk of an individual Stock doesn't magically dissapear - it is ever-present.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
Novine

Post by Novine »

Sell it. You're stuck on the profit you "lost" when you didn't sell at $18 instead of looking at the profit you made when you bought it for next to nothing. The last time Ford was at $18 a share was in the early 2000s. What's the likelihood that the economy is going to return to that kind of activity any time soon? Seems pretty low.Even if Ford stock doesn't go down much further, there's no short-term prospects that it's going to go up either. Why continue to muddle along? Better to lock in your profits and redeploy the money you made on buying Ford stock into something more productive.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

Novine wrote:Sell it. You're stuck on the profit you "lost" when you didn't sell at $18 instead of looking at the profit you made when you bought it for next to nothing. The last time Ford was at $18 a share was in the early 2000s. What's the likelihood that the economy is going to return to that kind of activity any time soon?
The last time it was above $18 was in January of 2011.

Brian
AdamFist

Post by AdamFist »

If I were in your position, I'd take the long term gains this year while the tax rate is favorable.
btenny

Post by btenny »

I'd sell and pay the Cap Gains. You were lucky and bought it right and have made a great profit. My reason for selling is simple. Ford will struggle for a long time to improve market share and maintain profit on sales so for now I think their sales are as good as they can get for some time IMO. While new management and improved products have done wonders for Ford they are still only one of 6-7 companies making car products all over the world. This makes for a ultra competitive market where every penny counts and it is very difficult if not impossible to make good profits. They have very little distinctive advantage IMO over other car companies so I would sell.

But there are other futures out there. In the next 10 years there is a strong possiblity that one car company is going to become the Apple of the car industry with great profits and a expanding market share. Will it be Ford or Toyota or Tesla or ???? Someone is going to make a great small electric car like the Pruis that sells like hotcakes at a price the public likes. Then this car is going to drive a fantastic expansion into electric cars for the winning car company and spell doom for the losers...

Bill
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Lynxville wrote:I bought F at $1.14 and should of sold at 18.00 but didn't. Now I am wondering if I should sell or hold? What does everyone think?
It is best if you have a plan (investment) it takes all guessing,wondering and market timing issues out of investing
rohitj

Post by rohitj »

They've improved substantially by paying off much of their debt. Their credit rating improved so their financing costs are going down. Many of the new cars are also much better quality and have technology that puts them ahead of the competition (i.e. ford sync).

That being said, Ford has huge european exposure and their stock price won't go anywhere until the crisis in europe gets better. It could go to 20+ but will take several years to get there given all the headwinds in place. Are you willing to hold that long? On the plus side, they now have a dividend that pays you to hold it.
Novine

Post by Novine »

"The last time it was above $18 was in January of 2011."

The OP is aware of that. I was referring to the last time that the stock was at that price prior to January 2011.
Default User BR

Novine wrote:"The last time it was above $18 was in January of 2011."

The OP is aware of that. I was referring to the last time that the stock was at that price prior to January 2011.
In that case, I don't understand your point. You mentioned the economy in 2000. If it reached that level so recently, why do you think that it can't again? What's different about 1/2011?

Brian
Novine

Post by Novine »

2011 was a fluke. It's clear that the bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler gave Ford a shine among investors that's faded as GM and Chrysler have returned to profitability. Ford's stock price is returning to its historically normal range. I don't see any fundamentals in the auto industry or the worldwide economy that are going to drive Ford's stock price to double. Do you?
Default User BR

Novine wrote:2011 was a fluke. It's clear that the bankruptcy of GM and Chrysler gave Ford a shine among investors that's faded as GM and Chrysler have returned to profitability. Ford's stock price is returning to its historically normal range. I don't see any fundamentals in the auto industry or the worldwide economy that are going to drive Ford's stock price to double. Do you?
I try not to predict any stocks. The point is, why didn't you say THIS in first place, instead of talking about the economy of 2000? Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Brian
draco

Post by draco »

I bought F at $1.14 and should of sold at 18.00 but didn't. Now I am wondering if I should sell or hold? What does everyone think?
Closed at $9.13 today. Has fallen from $10.75 over the past 3 weeks. Sell half at the open tomorrow. Take the mega speculation profit. Quarterly conf call is on July 25. Listen to it if you don't sell all shares. Like what Ford says, hold for more profit. Don't like what they say, sell the remainder. You are looking still looking at a huge profit on the remaining shares.