How would you advise the 3 MegaMillions winners?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
golfallday

How would you advise the 3 MegaMillions winners?

Post by golfallday »

Apparently 3 tickets won in Maryland, Kansas, and Illinois. The $$$ probably must be invested in taxable accounts. What investments and what allocations? I fully understand some tax lawyers, CPAs, and CFPs might be stingy with advice on this board. Just wondering.
hicabob

Re: How would you advise the 3 MegaMillions winners?

Post by hicabob »

the lottery investors had a pathetic return rate .... from Yahoo news ...

"Americans spent nearly $1.5 billion for a chance to hit the jackpot, which amounts to a $462 million lump sum and around $347 million after federal tax withholding. With the jackpot odds at 1 in 176 million, it would cost $176 million to buy up every combination. Under that scenario, the strategy would win $171 million less if your state also withholds taxes."

I would advise them not to "invest" in lotteries anymore :happy
peppers

Post by peppers »

Hide.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
NERD777

Post by NERD777 »

I would advise them:
20% (VTSAX) Total Stock
20% (VTIAX) Total International
30% (VBIRX) Short Term Bond Index
10% (VWEAX) High Yield Bond Fund
15% (BWX) Unhedged Foreign Bond ETF
5% Precious Metals.

Somewhat similar to my own portfolio although a bit more conservative
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I wouldn't advise them.
I'd just study them as Science Experiments, to the extent possible...

Actually, I'd advise them to take the annuity payout, but then move to a state with zero state income tax for the remaining 25 payments.
But those types don't care; they always take the Lump Sum...
Attempted new signature...
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

Tell no one, visit doctor for blood pressure and physical. After doctor visit take the xanax or valium he prescribed and go home. Your mind will slow and then pay attention to the wiser minds on this site. Also recommend psychologist.

Sam
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The Wizard wrote:I wouldn't advise them.

Actually, I'd advise them to take the annuity payout, but then move to a state with zero state income tax for the remaining 25 payments.

I'm not sure that would work? - in California for example, I have been led to believe that money "earned" in cali is subject to cali income tax and that the infamous "California tax claw" will aggressively pursue those who try to avoid it.
momar

Post by momar »

hicabob wrote:

I'm not sure that would work? - in California for example, I have been led to believe that money "earned" in cali is subject to cali income tax and that the infamous "California tax claw" will aggressively pursue those who try to avoid it.
There is no state tax in Cali on lottery winnings.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Nukeboilermaker

Post by Nukeboilermaker »

I was actually thinking about that as well... One could save anywhere from 3-10%? Just by changing the state of residence? Plus, in theory a winner could shop around the sale of their annuity and possibly get a greater lump sum?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

hicabob wrote:

That's called a Source Tax and is illegal per SCOTUS.
If I came into big bux in CA, I'd head for the other side of Lake Tahoe ASAP.
A lot of Google-aires do just that, I believe...
Attempted new signature...
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

ENJOY :D
So many fish, so little time.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Though I wish the best for them, I've had to admit to myself that I'm deeply curious to know how quickly and in what manner they are going to squander this. Was actually hoping for a single winner so I could see how it would even be possible. Let's hope otherwise, and that we see a much needed foundation established, rather than a fleet of lamborghinis unleashed on the roadways.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

golfallday wrote:Apparently 3 tickets won in Maryland, Kansas, and Illinois.
Great selection of states. I hope the local winner improves the Maryland economy, however she chooses to spend her windfall.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

Let's assume that you received an unexpected, gigantic windfall and you wanted to hold the majority of the money in bonds. Where could you put it? If you had, say $200,000,000 and only $20,000 of tax-advantaged space, where would you put the money?

You could put in a municipal bond fund... but wouldn't that not be diversified enough for safety?

Would you just put it in Total Bond Market, regardless of the tax disadvantages?
sometimesinvestor

Post by sometimesinvestor »

[quote="The Wizard"]I wouldn't advise them.

But those types don't care; they always take the Lump Sum...[/quote]

It is my understanding that with low current rates the lump sum is a better bet as the present value of an annuity is much higher when interest rates are low. Of course as I think the wizard is implying, if they don't understand what the last sentence means there is a fair chance they shouldn't take the lump sum
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sometimesinvestor wrote:

It is my understanding that with low current rates the lump sum is a better bet as the present value of an annuity is much higher when interest rates are low. Of course as I think the wizard is implying, if they don't understand what the last sentence means there is a fair chance they shouldn't take the lump sum
I understand what the last sentence means, but that does not mean that the low annuity rates should guide a winner's decision. The winners who take the lump sum will have to invest it in something. Safe fixed income investments currently provide low rates. Putting much of the winnings into the market is risky at the current levels. Should they take a lump sum and keep most of it in the money market, waiting for the rates to improve?

Any planning based on the projections of where the markets will go relies on a fair amount of uncertainty. Saving state income tax by requesting periodic payments and moving to Florida (or Nevada, or Texas, etc.) is a sure thing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Disappear.
xerty24

Post by xerty24 »

Good thing my Roth IRA bought the lucky ticket, while my personal luck wasn't quite as good. Maybe now I can join the ranks of those despised for having really big retirement accounts.
No excuses, no regrets.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Move

Change your name

Have plastic surgery to change your face
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
stevewolfe

Post by stevewolfe »

Don't quit your day job - at least for a little while. Might save you the plastic surgery. ;)
pteam

Post by pteam »

Did any of them claim it anonymously or claim it under a corporation name anonymously?
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

HardKnocker wrote:Move

Change your name

Have plastic surgery to change your face
A bit excessive for the two who live in states that allow one to claim a lottery prize anonymously. Perhaps good advice for the third person though.

In any event, it doesn't much matter what we would advise them, they're likely to choose a traditional wealth manager who goes against all Boglehead tenets. It's like a whole different sort of "lottery" when it comes to that side of the finance world.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I think this is impossible to answer without knowing these people and what the fabric of their character is made of. That is what will most likely dictate how they come out the other side of this blessing or possible curse.

I would send them copies of a documentary series I saw a few times entitled "How the Lottery Ruined My Life".
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

When I win I will follow this advice:
WikiAnswers wrote:Actually, your best bet is to sign the back of the ticket. Then go find yourself a good lawyer and have the attorney set up a trust with a bank. The trust will need a name. Let's name it the " BigWin Trust". Once BigWin Trust is properly set up the lawyer will have one of the bank officers present the winning ticket to the lottery agency and accept the winnings on behalf of the BigWin Trust. This is legal in the states that have Powerball. Not sure about Megamillion states. But, sign the ticket, put it in a safe place, see a lawyer, set up a trust and then keep your mouth shut and no one will ever know.
Victoria
TF Hutch

Post by TF Hutch »

I would plan on keeping about a third in TIPs and giving the rest to Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. They could do more with the 70% than I could.
Hutch | A fool and his funds are soon parted! - Thomas Tusser (English Farmer and Writer. 1524-1580)
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The Wizard wrote:
hicabob wrote:I'm not sure that would work? - in California for example, I have been led to believe that money "earned" in cali is subject to cali income tax and that the infamous "California tax claw" will aggressively pursue those who try to avoid it.
Do you have a reference for the ruling? I couldn't find it, but I believe that the ruling is much narrower. A state cannot tax a non-resident on a pension based on work in that state, but it can tax other income which has a source in that state; thus, for example, if you live in NJ and work in NY, your income has a NY source and is taxable in NY (and you can take a credit against your NJ tax). And I believe the ruling even allows a state to tax deferred compensation; if you live in NJ and work in NY, all your salary earned in NY is taxable in NY even if some of it is paid in a year after you retire.
Wiki David Grabiner
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

pteam wrote:Did any of them claim it anonymously or claim it under a corporation name anonymously?
In Illinois apparently the winner has to make a personal appearance. The other state allow claiming anonymously. The Illinois ticket was sold in the city of Red Bud, about 40 miles from St. Louis, so the local TV stations all sent reports to interview the very happy store owner that sold it. They get a big chunk of money as well.

Brian
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

grabiner wrote:
The Wizard wrote:
hicabob wrote:I'm not sure that would work? - in California for example, I have been led to believe that money "earned" in cali is subject to cali income tax and that the infamous "California tax claw" will aggressively pursue those who try to avoid it.
Do you have a reference for the ruling? I couldn't find it, but I believe that the ruling is much narrower. A state cannot tax a non-resident on a pension based on work in that state, but it can tax other income which has a source in that state; thus, for example, if you live in NJ and work in NY, your income has a NY source and is taxable in NY (and you can take a credit against your NJ tax). And I believe the ruling even allows a state to tax deferred compensation; if you live in NJ and work in NY, all your salary earned in NY is taxable in NY even if some of it is paid in a year after you retire.

I would also be interested in a ref - 1 CPA, 1 enrolled agent, and one lawyer/CPA has advised me not to try to escape "the claw". In fact I have heard that California thinks it should be able to tax 401k distros that were accumulated in Cali then moved when the owner moves.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

grabiner wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Perhaps this is what the wiz was referring to?

http://www.pmstax.com/state/bull9602.shtml

seems to cover pensions only.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Take the annuity option. That way after you blow the first couple year's payments you get another 18 tries.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Littlerhody

Post by Littlerhody »

This is actually poor advice on a few different levels unless the winners are so irresponsible that they would blow the lump sum after a few years.
If one takes the annuity option....future federal and state income taxes will most likely be higher. Also, by taking the lump sum, one can grow the money to an amount that should far exceed annuity payments over 25 plus years.
Something no one is considering is estate taxes. An attorney in my state said that if the winner is an elderly person and takes the annuity option and dies a year after the big win; the estate of the winner will owe federal and state estate taxes based an the ENTIRE amount won NOT the annual future payments!
So unless there are extraordinary circumstances...always always always take the lump sum payout.
hand

Post by hand »

VictoriaF wrote:When I win I will follow this advice:
WikiAnswers wrote:Actually, your best bet is to sign the back of the ticket. Then go find yourself a good lawyer and have the attorney set up a trust with a bank. The trust will need a name. Let's name it the " BigWin Trust". Once BigWin Trust is properly set up the lawyer will have one of the bank officers present the winning ticket to the lottery agency and accept the winnings on behalf of the BigWin Trust. This is legal in the states that have Powerball. Not sure about Megamillion states. But, sign the ticket, put it in a safe place, see a lawyer, set up a trust and then keep your mouth shut and no one will ever know.
Victoria
How do you stay anonymous if your name is written on the back of the winning ticket?
investor

Post by investor »

How do you stay anonymous if your name is written on the back of the winning ticket?

very poor handwriting :twisted:

investor
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I don't think I would want to claim the prize anonymously. I think all the drama and headache would be fun for me in a weird way. I enjoy telling people no.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

hand wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:When I win I will follow this advice:
Victoria
On the back of the ticket I will write my screen name, VictoriaF :oops:

Victoria